Packers sign P Drew Kaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

Having been at both births for my kids, I'd never deny the opportunity to someone else.

I've been to the birth of my only kid as well but there are a ton of people unfortunately having to miss it for proessional reasons. In my opinion football players shouldn't be treated any different.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been to the birth of my only kid as well but there are a ton of people unfortunately having to miss it for proessional reasons. In my opinion football players shouldn't be treated any different.
I would disagree, it's the birth of a child vs kicking a football. I don't care if it's Aaron Rodgers and he gets a call at halftime o the super bowl. I'm not expecting him to stay at the stadium. Nobody is that important or their jobs so crucial, they must feel like they have a duty to their job over the birth of their child. It's cool if people want to work instead, but it's a choice. Even ER docs have people that can do their job for them.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would disagree, it's the birth of a child vs kicking a football. I don't care if it's Aaron Rodgers and he gets a call at halftime o the super bowl. I'm not expecting him to stay at the stadium. Nobody is that important or their jobs so crucial, they must feel like they have a duty to their job over the birth of their child. It's cool if people want to work instead, but it's a choice. Even ER docs have people that can do their job for them.

I fully understand that most posters on the forum probably disagree with me on the topic but in my opinion when you have a professional appointment either in a different place or no other person under contract within the same company is capable of fulfilling it's bad luck when you have to miss birth.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a unique situation. The Packers already had an open spot on their roster that they used to potentially give a player where there is only 1 of on the roster, the opportunity to be their for the birth of their child. Probably why they held off so late into the week. It's a good will gesture that I'm sure people in the locker room noticed. If they would have added a DB, if it was someone from outside of the team, that player would have been inactive anyways. If it is someone that is on the practice squad, they would have been inactive, but you aren't losing any knowledge pickup because they are in the building anyways.

That people have an issue with this says more about you than the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

It is a unique situation. The Packers already had an open spot on their roster that they used to potentially give a player where there is only 1 of on the roster, the opportunity to be their for the birth of their child. Probably why they held off so late into the week. It's a good will gesture that I'm sure people in the locker room noticed. If they would have added a DB, if it was someone from outside of the team, that player would have been inactive anyways. If it is someone that is on the practice squad, they would have been inactive, but you aren't losing any knowledge pickup because they are in the building anyways.

That people have an issue with this says more about you than the Packers.

As I was the only one criticizing the decision you should have addressed the last sentence directly at me. You don't know anything about me though therefore it might be smart to restrain from analyzing another person based on actions on a message forum.

NFL players are paid a handsome amount of money to play a game 16 times a year. I'm sorry that I don't feel bad for them if they happen to miss other events in their life because of it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm sure there have been many Professionals in the history of life that have both missed and been there for the birth of a child. All depends on circumstances, so I would hate to say that there is any clear cut formula for this. The Packers circumstances, open roster position, allowed them to look like the caring organization. For all we know, Scott said "use my pay and whatever else I need to kick in to cover my replacement." I am guessing most of his teammates supported the Packers putting Family over Football, which could go a long way for team unity and character building. Ultimately, Scott was provided with the decision to make, I doubt the Packers said "you are not playing, go be with your wife."

Side note, if I am an NFL player and planning a family, I'm only "practicing" when the timing of giving birth would be during the season. Take the helmet off and go for it when the birth would happen during the off season. :coffee:

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

NFL players are paid a handsome amount of money to play a game 16 times a year. I'm sorry that I don't feel bad for them if they happen to miss other events in their life because of it.
I'll give you an agree on that. In other lines of work, it is rare that the extent of the job is performing on 16 specific dates at specific times. Employers of production workers have contingencies that can be employed just as if the worker called in sick for a couple of days. A white collar worker rarely has a hard deadline critical to the business that cannot be rescheduled; if there was no way to defer the work, like closing a big deal on the edge of slipping away, I'd expect the work to be done.

Skip practice days and make the games? I have no problem with that.

I wonder what the sentiment would be if this was the QB and not the punter?

It's easy to say, "it's just the punter," and the new guy is pretty good, if not better. But that also implies the player is saying, "I'm just the punter". How well does that sit? Not great for me. And lets not forget he's the holder. I can hear the howling already if the winning FG is flubbed on the replacement's bad hold.

So, maybe the kid doesn't pop on Sunday and Scott plays. That doesn't mean it is no harm , no foul. The kid could be stubborn and this drags on for another week, with the extra roster spot taken up and a possible opportunity cost.

And if anybody is wondering why there is no announcement, why the Scotts might not want to make one if that turns out to be case, it just might be because this opinion is not rare, and the social media scourges would be a lot less measured in the criticism. Somebody might threaten to shoot his dog if that FG is flubbed.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Wow, that's a nice gesture from the front office and coaching staff. Could we get back to being a professional football team at some point though???

I wonder what Lombardi would have done with a punter who just shanked a kick significantly contributing to the team losing asking the team to sign a second player at his position so he can be woth his wife giving birth.

Well, let's hope Danica isn't due to give birth in January or February within the next few years.
Yikes.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I was the only one criticizing the decision you should have addressed the last sentence directly at me. You don't know anything about me though therefore it might be smart to restrain from analyzing another person based on actions on a message forum.

You aren't the only one commenting about this on various social media and forums so, generalizing it is fair.

If you can afford an employee the potential opportunity to be there for the birth of their child then you do it, which they have done.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God, Family, Green Bay Packers. Who said it?

Lots of people haven't been there for the birth of their children for as many reasons as one can think of. Planning doesn't always work. We stopped counting after 5 miscarriages and 9 years later we had our first after we had set aside 25K for the adoption process figuring it was never going to happen, and then there he was. and then there was another. It happens when it happens, it's not getting your hair and nails did at the salon.

anyway, Kudos to the packers for trying to do right by the situation.

H

HardRightEdge

For all we know, Scott said "use my pay and whatever else I need to kick in to cover my replacement."
I doubt the NFLPA would look kindly on that.

Side note, if I am an NFL player and planning a family, I'm only "practicing" when the timing of giving birth isn't during the season. Take the helmet off and go for it when the birth would happen during the off season. :coffee:

That comment takes us right to the edge of exhuasting the topic. ;) This thought crossed my mind but I figured I'd let it go since now you get into questions of religious practice. I don't know Scott's beliefs, but there are still some Catholics who follow the Vatican dictate.

H

HardRightEdge

You aren't the only one commenting about this on various social media and forums so, generalizing it is fair.

If you can afford an employee the potential opportunity to be there for the birth of their child then you do it, which they have done.
God, Family, Green Bay Packers. Who said it?

Lots of people haven't been there for the birth of their children for as many reasons as one can think of. Planning doesn't always work. We stopped counting after 5 miscarriages and 9 years later we had our first after we had set aside 25K for the adoption process figuring it was never going to happen, and then there he was. and then there was another. It happens when it happens, it's not getting your hair and nails did at the salon.

anyway, Kudos to the packers for trying to do right by the situation.
Again, I ask you the question: What if it was the QB? What would you say?

H

HardRightEdge

I would disagree, it's the birth of a child vs kicking a football. I don't care if it's Aaron Rodgers and he gets a call at halftime o the super bowl. I'm not expecting him to stay at the stadium.
Yeah, right. It's easy to say that now, but it would be quite a different situation were it to actually happen. And would Rodgers go down that road? That's a highly suspect proposition.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That comment takes us right to the edge of exhuasting the topic. ;) This thought crossed my mind but I figured I'd let it go since now you get into questions of religious practice. I don't know Scott's beliefs, but there are still some Catholics who follow the Vatican dictate.

Agreed and I changed the wording of what I posted to actually make sense, but I think you understood where I was going LOL. I forgot about the religious aspect and definitely don't want to get into that here. I do have a few friends over the years where the wives were school teachers, both couples successfully timed pregnancy and birth so that the babies were born in the "off season" which allowed the mothers extended time with their new borns during Summer break.

Not that I want to see it happen, but if we do see Kaser punting tonight and he does something that potentially cost us the game, I will be a lot more forgiving of the situation then I was last week with Monty. Of course, some could say Scott's final punt of the Rams game was instrumental in that loss too.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, I ask you the question: What if it was the QB? What would you say?

Same thing.

20 years ago when I was single with no kids and lived and died with every football decision I would have complained. I'll admit that.

Now.. 2 kids later... If they want to be there, great. If they made a decision to work on that given day and not be there then that is a decision they made.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, right. It's easy to say that now, but it would be quite a different situation were it to actually happen. And would Rodgers go down that road? That's a highly suspect proposition.
I already told you what i'd say. It's not my choice, it's his. And if he'd want to play and check the status via chat in between plays and have MM tell him the status rather than plays so he could rush off in a waiting car/jet. I'm fine with that too. They have the resources to make lots of things possible and as crazy as they want. If he wants to be there, he could be. If he didn't, that's ok too. or anything him and his team come up with in the meantime.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, there's no way to be sure the Packers actually can afford to go without Scott tonight. As HRE pointed out, what happens if Crosby misses a potential game winning field goal because of a bad hold by a punter that hasn't even practiced with the team???

H

HardRightEdge

20 years ago when I was single with no kids and lived and died with every football decision I would have complained.
I would not look at that Rodgers decision from the perspective of a fan or in terms of wins and losses. I look at it as an obligation to an organization and the those therein. It goes to character, self-interest over team.

I guess I'm just old school.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there's no way to be sure the Packers actually can afford to go without Scott tonight. As HRE pointed out, what happens if Crosby misses a potential game winning field goal because of a bad hold by a punter that hasn't even practiced with the team???
se la vi

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not look at that from the perspective of a fan or in terms of wins and losses. I look at it as an obligation to an organization and the those therein.

Maybe I misunderstood your question. Thought you were asking from the fan perspective of what one would say.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Let's just get creative and resolve this!! Set up the blue tent and let Scott's wife hang out there all night! :coffee:

Not many babies are born with THAT big of a crowd cheering the event on!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Then we would lose a game.

Again, a game. A freaking game.

Who cares?

D

Deleted member 6794

Then we would lose a game.

Again, a game. A freaking game.

Who cares?

A game which will most likely provide enough money for Scott to fund the kid's education as well as everything needed to raise a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.