1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers estimated to be $28M under cap for 2015

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by adambr2, Dec 11, 2014.

1. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    If those numbers are close to being correct, the Packers will certainly have the flexibility to sign Cobb, Bulaga, and House. And keep Peppers. In addition to the approximate $28M they can free up another $7M+ by waiving Hawk and Brad Jones. They can also probably free up a couple more million by restructuring Peppers. IMO the question will be Tramon Williams.

Unfortunately, Lattimore played himself into “expendability” IMO and I wouldn’t spend more than $2M on a one-year contract on Raji. If they do waive Hawk and Brad Jones and I hope they do, I hope Thompson ventures into UFA and spends a high draft pick on ILBs. If the UFA is a “journeyman”, they will have lost nothing in cutting Hawk and Jones.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,991
    Can anyone remember the last time the Packers were actually over the cap? It feels like that point in your life when you're no longer living paycheck to paycheck, bills are paid off, and you have the flexibility to spend if needed but retain the financial prudence that got you there.

4. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,635
    It all depends on the salary cap number for the 2015 season. As of now the Packers have $122.2 million committed towards next season cap with $8.1 million in cap space for the 2014 season which they will be allowed to roll over.

5. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,730
    While not technically over the cap in 2010 (the final and uncapped year under the previous CBA), the Packers had a high cap number, 2nd. highest in the league if memory serves.

I copied and pasted the cap numbers in the following link to spreadsheet, summed them, and came up with a cap number for 2010 of $153 million. This number was substantially above the 2009 and 2011 cap.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/103183349.html

6. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    :roflmao: Here we go. Off and running.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +455
    Imo, we're in good shape with at least 8 core players on both offense and defense under contract through the 2016 season. I'm not counting Neal, Quarless or Starks because I can't remember what their contract terms were. Ted will have enough cap room to fill in where he needs to. He's got 9 draft picks coming up next spring so all in all, things look pretty rosy from where I sit. Like mentioned earlier, he's got cutting options and contract re-work possibilities as well.

8. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,991
    Did a couple of teams get punished for taking advantage of the uncapped year? Dallas maybe? I think that a lot of teams did some accounting tricks to push more salary dollars into the un-capped year in order to be better off in the future once the cap returned.

Found a story about it: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...s-washington-redskins-lose-millions-cap-space

9. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +562
    We're paying Rodgers $130 million and Matthews $69 million and we still have $28 million in cap space? Good job Ted:tup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,991
    That doesn't happen if you're bringing in big free agents every year to "fill holes." You've got to draft your replacements and then you can afford to keep the good ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    If we had only signed Byrd like everyone here wanted!!!

Who will be this years big name FA that everyone wants us to sign? Predictions?

12. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    Every single one on the market.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    Suh, Fairley, Orakpo, Casey Matthews, Rolando McClain.
    And from the "I heard of him so he must be good column" Lance Briggs, Cromartie, Dwight Freeny, Owen Daniels, Gabe Carimi.
    http://nfltraderumors.co/2015-nfl-free-agents-list/
    EDIT} forgot to turn the sarcasm font off!

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,074
    Brad Jones is not potentially being cut....he is for sure getting cut. There is no way TT can keep that dead weight around.

15. scotscheese

scotscheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    quick question, what is dead money?

16. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,635
    Dead money is the prorated portion of the signing bonus counting against a team´s cap when a player is cut before the contract expires.

For example the Packers gave Peppers a $7.5 million signing bonus when they signed him in March. The bonus will be prorated over the entire length of the contract (three years) and will count $2.5 million towards the cap in every single season of the deal. If the Packers decide to release Peppers after the 2014 season the remaining portion of the prorated signing bonus ($5 million) will count towards their 2015 cap and because the player isn´t on the roster anymore result in dead money.

17. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,635
    While Byrd had a disappointing season in New Orleans, ending on IR, his cap hit during the first three years of the deal the Saints signed him to will be lower than the deal Peppers signed with the Packers. So we would have been able to afford to sign Byrd.

18. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +455
    I suspect that our percentage of dead money on the cap will probably rise in the next few years as our established stars age. From what I can tell, we've only got 4 players under contract that have greater than 10M in guarantee money which is pretty good especially after seeing some of the free agent contracts that were signed in the last couple of years. There seems to be very noticeable differences in the way some of the teams are structuring these contracts. I think the Packers have done an admirable job in this regard.

19. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    Yes, but the amount of total amount of just guaranteed money in Byrd's contract, 26.3 million, is greater that Peppers' whole contract, 26 millions.

20. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,635
    Well, the guaranteed money is only an issue if the team wants to get rid of him which I don´t see happening.

21. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
  22. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,991
    Byrd is a great example, like Steven Jackson in the 2013 offseason, where TT ignored the media and fan hoopla and drafted a replacement. Eddie Lacy was a great pick and didn't cost the $12 million that Jackson did. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix was another great pick and hasn't cost Green Bay the $26.3 million guaranteed cap hit ($54 million total) that the Saints will endure.

TT isn't perfect by far. He's still one of the best GMs the Packers have ever had and his prudence and drafting acumen allow him to resign Rodgers, Nelson, Matthews, and soon to be Cobb when they are due. There will be more misses, and it could be at ILB next year. It's part of the rock'n'roll lifestyle of the NFL.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    True, but while he could have afforded Byrd, the much cheaper combo of Burnett and Haha is much better.

24. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,635
    True, there was no guarantee Clinton-Dix would be there at #21 when free agency started though.

25. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    You're right. There was not. That's a risk TT takes when sticking to his philosophy. Happened to the Packers at ILB last year as clearly nobody at that position also provided good value or trades didn't work out for them to get one.