Packers estimated to be $28M under cap for 2015

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson is da bomb. End of story. Thompson earned his stripes early with me. And even though I highly disagreed with his strategies at times...Zone blocking?!?! ugh. Basicly let a dominant D-line dwindle into a aging Pickett, and a unmotivated Raji. I almost threw a fit when I seen what philly paid Jenkins! And not bringing Moss in? Favre lined that up, and Thompson failed to seize the amazing opportunity... If things like that continued, I might not be so happy with Thompson. But Thompson adjusts. Him and the coaches continue to evolve and get better... Now we are great. We really have momentum going into the end of the season

H

HardRightEdge

Cobb, Bulaga, Raji, Tramon, Guion, House, Richardson. Plus Bush, Barclay, Lattimore, Boykin, Tolzien, TE Taylor... These and the 10 rookies we always keep. Makes 20 players and only 28 mil.
The free agent list also includes Flynn and Kuhn. The likelihood of those guys getting signed is higher than most of the guys you listed. They won't cost much. Somebody might take a shot at Flynn again to serve as insurance behind a young unproven QB paying more than Thompson will offer.

D

Deleted member 6794

Good? you wonder why you appear to be anti TT. His 2011 offense at the time was the 2nd best offense of all time (points scored). This one is the best in the league. Yet you say just good?

I think its funny when people fault ted for not having another Aaron Rodgers on the bench. Its just ridiculous. Taking away the player who has the most cap space dedicated to him is probably going to affect the team more than taking away Derrick Carr from the Raiders.

This team was built around the best player, taking him away would obviously affect the team drastically. We could build a team around an average skilled QB but what would be the point in that? Wasting Aarons talent? Him getting hurt is a risk you take when building the team around a player who can do things no other QB in the league can do.

Thompson has the benefit of having had two HOF QBs, obviously he deserves credit for drafting Rodgers in 2005. The rest of the team is average at best though as was proven by the eight game stretch without having the best QB in the league last season. While Rodgers is the highest paid player on the team Thompson spends way more of the available cap space on defense (2nd highest amount in the league) without getting good results out of the unit for the last four seasons.

BTW a lot of you have pointed out teams can't win in this league without a great QB, I would suggest to take a close look at the Arizona Cardinals.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson has the benefit of having had two HOF QBs, obviously he deserves credit for drafting Rodgers in 2005. The rest of the team is average at best though as was proven by the eight game stretch without having the best QB in the league last season. While Rodgers is the highest paid player on the team Thompson spends way more of the available cap space on defense (2nd highest amount in the league) without getting good results out of the unit for the last four seasons.

BTW a lot of you have pointed out teams can't win in this league without a great QB, I would suggest to take a close look at the Arizona Cardinals.

You're right that the Cardinals are still winning, but they did have a drop off. They Cardinals are 6-0 under Palmer and 5-3 without him so they were certainly better with him.

There are exceptions to nearly everything like the Cardinals this year, but the vast majority of teams do not do well without a good QB.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're right that the Cardinals are still winning, but they did have a drop off. They Cardinals are 6-0 under Palmer and 5-3 without him so they were certainly better with him.

There are exceptions to nearly everything like the Cardinals this year, but the vast majority of teams do not do well without a good QB.

Two of the Cardinals losses have come at Denver and Seattle, don't think they would have won any of these games with Palmer.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Defensive line can carry a team also. 4 guys that can each force a double team, and occasionally beat that! When you get 4 guys like that, the defense can win superbowls... Buffalo Bills have 4 guys at 10+ sacks each (Im gonna let the 9.5 into the group.) And we will see our pro-bowl looking roster struggle mightily...

If we had Dareus in our rotation,,,,,,, everything changes. I would trade Cobb/Daniels for Dareus. No joke.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t think the games played without Rodgers last season was a reflection of the rest of the roster because the situation at backup QB was such a cluster schtoop. Certainly that situation was the fault of Thompson and McCarthy – my point is the team would have looked different if the Packers were in the situation they were at the beginning of this season: Two backup QBs having spent the entire off season with the team and in the system.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No you can win without a great qb, it's just harder, doesn't hold up as long, and the team is built differently.

Again, you base someone's entire tenure on half a season? Wow

The offense is built around Rodgers strengths. It's not built in case we need Matt Flynn to go in. We still won the division in spite of Rodgers injury. I'm sure you will chalk that up to the fault of others.

The defense is a mixed bag frequently but very under appreciated in the fact that most seasons it ranks very high in turnovers, and for this offense, something like that is lethal.

This team is built around Rodgers talents, I don't see how you can fault the gm for that, or last season when our back up got injured as well. But I guess "the 3rd string qb isn't good!!! Fire Ted Thompson!" Is the rallying cry of a few on here.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think the games played without Rodgers last season was a reflection of the rest of the roster because the situation at backup QB was such a cluster schtoop. Certainly that situation was the fault of Thompson and McCarthy – my point is the team would have looked different if the Packers were in the situation they were at the beginning of this season: Two backup QBs having spent the entire off season with the team and in the system.

Plus, without Rodgers around for a while, they'd have another $100 million of cap space to spend on the rest of the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

No you can win without a great qb, it's just harder, doesn't hold up as long, and the team is built differently.

Again, you base someone's entire tenure on half a season? Wow

The offense is built around Rodgers strengths. It's not built in case we need Matt Flynn to go in. We still won the division in spite of Rodgers injury. I'm sure you will chalk that up to the fault of others.

The defense is a mixed bag frequently but very under appreciated in the fact that most seasons it ranks very high in turnovers, and for this offense, something like that is lethal.

This team is built around Rodgers talents, I don't see how you can fault the gm for that, or last season when our back up got injured as well. But I guess "the 3rd string qb isn't good!!! Fire Ted Thompson!" Is the rallying cry of a few on here.

I don't judge Thompson's tenure based on half a season. Rodgers covers up for a lot of deficiences on this team that were exposed during last season. They have been there for a long time though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Plus, without Rodgers around for a while, they'd have another $100 million of cap space to spend on the rest of the team.

The Packers would have to pay for a different QB in this case. Not sure they would be able to save a lot of money as there are several QBs accounting for higher cap hits over the next four seasons than Rodgers.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers couldve gotten 30 easily. 22 or whatever he got was a leader, leading by example..... There was probabally a clause for Thompson to take that 10mil he saved on his deal to go get Peppers. LOL

D

Deleted member 6794

The only big deficiency I see right now is ILB.

The Packers defense isn't good enough to win constantly with a mediocre QB. Thompson not addressing the ILB this offseason was mind-boggling (as well as safety in 2013).

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would have to pay for a different QB in this case. Not sure they would be able to save a lot of money as there are several QBs accounting for higher cap hits over the next four seasons than Rodgers.

TT would draft a QB, which means he would not have a big contract for at least 4 years because of rookie wage scales.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense isn't good enough to win constantly with a mediocre QB. Thompson not addressing the ILB this offseason was mind-boggling (as well as safety in 2013).

We've already discussed how most teams struggle with a mediocre QB. That's how the NFL works.

D

Deleted member 6794

TT would draft a QB, which means he would not have a big contract for at least 4 years because of rookie wage scales.

We could have ended up with Alex Smith in 2005 who is averaging $17 million a season. In this case I'm convinced we wouldn't have won the Super Bowl and none of you would think Thompson is a great GM.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could have ended up with Alex Smith in 2005 who is averaging $17 million a season. In this case I'm convinced we wouldn't have won the Super Bowl and none of you would think Thompson is a great GM.

I'm really not seeing how possibly drafting Smith in 2005 (which actually was not an option since he was picked first) has to do with them finding a QB now if Rodgers was gone.

D

Deleted member 6794

We've already discussed how most teams struggle with a mediocre QB. That's how the NFL works.

Teams struggle withbad QBs, there areseveral examples of teams winning Super Bowls with mediocre QBs (Seahawks, Ravens, Giants, Steelers). I guarantee the Packers wouldn't have come close to winning the Super Bowl with any of those QBs.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams struggle withbad QBs, there areseveral examples of teams winning Super Bowls with mediocre QBs (Seahawks, Ravens, Giants, Steelers). I guarantee the Packers wouldn't have come close to winning the Super Bowl with any of those QBs.

Two teams since the early 90s have won it all without great QB play and both had historically great defenses.

Of the teams you listed, to say they had mediocre QB play during their playoff runs is just not true at all.

D

Deleted member 6794

Two teams since the early 90s have won it all without great QB play and both had historically great defenses.

Of the teams you listed, to say they had mediocre QB play during their playoff runs is just not true at all.

I never said those QBs played mediocre during the playoff run, I don't consider any of them great though. BTW the 2006 Colts won the Super Bowl with terrible play by Manning during the playoffs.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said those QBs played mediocre during the playoff run, I don't consider any of them great though. BTW the 2006 Colts won the Super Bowl with terrible play by Manning during the playoffs.

Manning was bad in one of those four games...

They put up 38 in the AFC championship and 29 points in the Super Bowl.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also, your entire argument was about winning with mediocre QBs and even called the guys you listed mediocre.

The bottom line is the facts say it's tough to win without a good QB.

Members online

Latest posts