Packers 2021 cap situation

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

My general stance is that we could have addressed both center and right tackle for the same price or less as making Bakhtiari the highest paid lineman in the universe. I love David, but the Packers OL has been extremely resilient this season no matter whom played where. Obviously LT is important but as long as the replacement isn't a turnstile, we would be better off spending our limited funds elsewhere.

In my opinion it's impossible to evaluate the offensive line's performance without Bakhtiari as they didn't face a good defense in any of the games he missed. While it's possible the team overpaid to retain him I don't consider anyone currently on the roster to be a legitimate long-term starter at left tackle either.

Right, they can still be signed in 2021, which is what I said. My apologies if I wasn't clear that they had to wait till that season was completed. I'm just hoping they are re-signed is my point.

Technically they can't be re-signed until March 2022.

We're looking for a brand new O-Line probably with Turner, Lowry, Wagner and Linsey all looking to be cut.

It might be worth trying Lowry on the offensive line ;)

I don't understand why everyone thinks that Turner and Wagner will go. They are cheap and effective, not great, but certainly not of the Marshall Newhouse ilk. We certainly need to keep drafting OL but not clear the decks.

The Packers saving much needed $7.8 million in cap space by releasing Turner and Wagner is the reason there names pop up when talking about possible cuts.

BTW - if you are Aaron Rodgers, your team just spent a 1st round pick on your successor, and you know that you're time is limited.....would you really restructure to give them a discount just so that they could kick you out the door a year later? No way. Rodgers will keep his money and tell Gute to ask his 1st round pick to take a pay cut.

Rodgers agreeing to restructure his contract would actually make it more difficult to move on from him in the near future. In addition he would still receive the same amount of cash next season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone thinks that Turner and Wagner will go. They are cheap and effective, not great, but certainly not of the Marshall Newhouse ilk. We certainly need to keep drafting OL but not clear the decks.

BTW - if you are Aaron Rodgers, your team just spent a 1st round pick on your successor, and you know that you're time is limited.....would you really restructure to give them a discount just so that they could kick you out the door a year later? No way. Rodgers will keep his money and tell Gute to ask his 1st round pick to take a pay cut.

Rodgers will keep all of his money no matter what. Its not like he is going to give any back with a pay cut. All that might change is when he gets it and the cap ramifications.

As someone said before, probably captain, redoing Rodgers contract and pushing more money out makes the Love pick even more suspect. It will make it harder cap wise to move on from Rodgers if we back load his deal even more than it already is.

Last edited:

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Spotrac is still using $201M as the projected 2021 NFL cap but it will likely be much less as previously discussed in this thread.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

A few things jump out that will make for an interesting offseason -

Eagles and Saints are respectively $63M & $95M over the $201M cap. The Saints look like they could be making substantial cuts and even that may not be adequate.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-cap-experts-are-unsure-how-theyll-escape-it/

The Cowboys are proof that god looks out for drunks and fools as they have 2021 cap space since Dak Prescott was franchised in 2020.

The Patriots have the fourth most cap space and are well positioned to reload their roster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Cowboys are proof that god looks out for drunks and fools as they have 2021 cap space since Dak Prescott was franchised in 2020.

On the other side they don't have a quarterback aside of Ben DiNucci under contract though.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
On the other side they don't have a quarterback aside of Ben DiNucci under contract though.

Thanks. Did not notice that on the Cowboys 2021 roster until you pointed that out but if they had given the contract Dak wanted in the range of 37-40M per year they could be 15M over instead of a likely 25M under. The Cowboys are probably going to have a decent pick in 2021 and may be able to parley that into a QB if needed or at the very least structure Dak's contract to be cap friendly in 2021 and 2022.

I'm looking forward to this offseason.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Eagles and Saints are respectively $63M & $95M over the $201M cap. The Saints look like they could be making substantial cuts and even that may not be adequate.

The interesting thing about this statement is that the Saints are actually a good team. What is the excuse for the Eagles? Spend all that money and still be bottom feeders.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They aren't very far removed from a Super Bowl. Teams typically have to pay through the nose to keep those teams together. Their QB play has been questionable post-SB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of having to replace that much of our O-line
Neither does Mgmt I suspect. I personally prefer replacing only one starting o-lineman a year. We got in real big trouble when we had to replace both Wahle and Rivera one year.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams may also get an extension allowing us to restructure his contract. He has a 16.6m cap hit in '21 and if we can push some back it'd help greatly.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks. Did not notice that on the Cowboys 2021 roster until you pointed that out but if they had given the contract Dak wanted in the range of 37-40M per year they could be 15M over instead of a likely 25M under. The Cowboys are probably going to have a decent pick in 2021 and may be able to parley that into a QB if needed or at the very least structure Dak's contract to be cap friendly in 2021 and 2022.

I fully expect the Cowboys to re-sign Prescott if he's healthy enough to return to the field. They will definitely structure the deal in a way to keep the cap hit reasonably low in 2021.

Adams may also get an extension allowing us to restructure his contract. He has a 16.6m cap hit in '21 and if we can push some back it'd help greatly.

True, the Packers could save as much as close to $9 million of cap space for next season by signing Adams to an extension.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had a discussion on our 2021 situation with some Packer fans over the weekend.....I think like many fans they were clueless to just how dire the situation is looking at 2021 cap.

Presently sitting at a predicted (spotrac) $18.3M OVER the cap....my prediction as of 12/20/2020 is the following cuts happen:

No Brainers IMO:

Kirksey - Save $6M with a dead hit of $2M
Lowry - Save $3.3M with a dead hit of $1.5M
Wagner - Save $4.25M with a dead hit of $1.75M

Tough but necessary:

Preston - Save $8M with a dead hit of also $8M

Could cut and IMO not miss much, but I'd wait to see how draft goes:

JK Scott - Save $920K with dead hit of $54,389
Funchess - Save $1.36M with a dead hit of $1M
Burks - Save $945K with a dead hit of $205K
Summers - Save $825K with a dead hit of $48K

*Full disclosure...not sure of the above group if any contract details change this if we wait till after draft with timing of payments and such.

IF you did ALL of those moves....you're at $7.2M beneath the cap....

Add in re-signing some guys like: Lazard, Barnes, Lewis, Sullivan, Austin or Ervin, Jamaal?

PLUS add draft class salaries and UDFAs.......we still have issues.....

The other guy that could be forced cut is Adrian Amos...I don't want to lose him and Preston in the same year as we most likely let King walk as well...that is a LOT of starters to replace instantly hopefully.

Amos cut would save $4.55M and dead hit of $5.5M

Krabs

Reaction score
No Brainers IMO:

Kirksey - Save $6M with a dead hit of $2M
Lowry - Save $3.3M with a dead hit of $1.5M
Wagner - Save $4.25M with a dead hit of $1.75M

Tough but necessary:

Preston - Save $8M with a dead hit of also $8M

Could cut and IMO not miss much, but I'd wait to see how draft goes:

JK Scott - Save $920K with dead hit of $54,389
Funchess - Save $1.36M with a dead hit of $1M
Burks - Save $945K with a dead hit of $205K
Summers - Save $825K with a dead hit of $48K
Amos cut would save $4.55M and dead hit of $5.5M

I think one thing to keep in mind about this COVID cap situation is that a lot of teams are in this same spot. I think there will be opportunities to redo some of the contracts. I know we are talking money here and I don't like people messing with my paycheck, but it is a real possibility.

Are you willing to redo your contract this season due to the cap going down? If not, we will have to let you go and you will have to take your chances on the free agent market. Generally, free agency is a good thing. However, a lot of teams are going to have to cut players as well and the market will be saturated with players. Are you willing to renegotiate and stay here in Green Bay.

Not sure that works. I think it makes sense and if their agent is smart they will know this as well. A lot is up in the air with the COVID cap.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one thing to keep in mind about this COVID cap situation is that a lot of teams are in this same spot. I think there will be opportunities to redo some of the contracts. I know we are talking money here and I don't like people messing with my paycheck, but it is a real possibility.

Are you willing to redo your contract this season due to the cap going down? If not, we will have to let you go and you will have to take your chances on the free agent market. Generally, free agency is a good thing. However, a lot of teams are going to have to cut players as well and the market will be saturated with players. Are you willing to renegotiate and stay here in Green Bay.

Not sure that works. I think it makes sense and if their agent is smart they will know this as well. A lot is up in the air with the COVID cap.

It all depends at the status of the player.

I don't see anyone guy that we could use this threat and they not get their money still...

Example, say you tell Preston this...you gotta remember he not only can go get another contract but pulls in his dead cap hit as well to buy out his contract.

So he hits the market with $8M in his pocket...and that is when some guys sign what seem to be a team friendly contract to go to a winning team.

Now the whole Covid Cap issue is unprecedented, so it is gonna be a crazy year....lot of good FAs are going to hit the market with as many as 15 teams I've heard are in the same or similar boat as us.

Teams that have a lot of young talent, and big space that struggled this year, could be sitting themselves up for a MASSIVE swing in performance....US...I don't know. It is gonna get interesting.

Krabs

Reaction score
It all depends at the status of the player.

I don't see anyone guy that we could use this threat and they not get their money still...

Example, say you tell Preston this...you gotta remember he not only can go get another contract but pulls in his dead cap hit as well to buy out his contract.

So he hits the market with $8M in his pocket...and that is when some guys sign what seem to be a team friendly contract to go to a winning team.

Now the whole Covid Cap issue is unprecedented, so it is gonna be a crazy year....lot of good FAs are going to hit the market with as many as 15 teams I've heard are in the same or similar boat as us.

Teams that have a lot of young talent, and big space that struggled this year, could be sitting themselves up for a MASSIVE swing in performance....US...I don't know. It is gonna get interesting.

It's a sticky situation. When I say renegotiate I do mean packaging a deal that is attractive to the player. If you say, "hey, take less more or you're gone". A player like Preston will pack up and call it good with his guaranteed money. But if you say we will restructure part of your contract into a signing bonus and you get that money now if you will let us push some of the money we owe in the contract out. Or, maybe spread it around. Other players with less guaranteed money you might just have to say "take less or you're out". You bring up a good point though with Preston and others that have huge guaranteed money. They're in tough spot.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh for sure, but I don't see anyone outside of Davante worth doing such a thing for.

Preston's days are numbered both by his play weighed against his cost, but also the insane growth Gary is exhibiting.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tae is the one clear and cut guy you could save some money by pushing contract forward well into the future, because you know barring injury that is a guy you're fine with paying for years.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3.5m of effective space left this season in case anyone is wondering. won't be much left to roll over into 2021.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is all 2020 though right? What does 2021 say?

Spotrac estimates that the Packers would enter 2021 about 18M over the cap.

However, that assumes a cap of 175M in 2021, which isn't set in stone. There are some rumblings that the cap could end up higher in the end.

Regardless, the Packers will be towards the bottom of the league in space, and will need to make a number of cuts to create some room in 2021.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spotrac estimates that the Packers would enter 2021 about 18M over the cap.

However, that assumes a cap of 175M in 2021, which isn't set in stone. There are some rumblings that the cap could end up higher in the end.

Regardless, the Packers will be towards the bottom of the league in space, and will need to make a number of cuts to create some room in 2021.

I had to swing over to the Saints and Eagles Spotrac 2021 pages to make myself feel so much better about our situation LOL :)

I'll say this much, the Jaguars are an organization that if they get 2021 right could be SERIOUSLY good next 3-5 years.

Young talent has quietly been building...have OOOOOOODLES of cap space right when a bunch of good fiscal cuts are going to happen to other teams....it's like the perfect storm for them and really anyone without a pair of MASSIVE contracts on the roster.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly the Saints I don't even see a clean path to make the cap even if it is 185M which has been rumored. They're over $90M in the hole, and Brees is like the only contract in the top 5 of their contracts that even illustrate a savings....many would be more dead cap than they save - so not saving but costing with a cut......Saints are going to be CUT and restructure CITY for a year or two.

Congratulations Taysom...you may get to be the starting QB but that team is going to crumble around you for a year or two due to cap restraints.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I had to swing over to the Saints and Eagles Spotrac 2021 pages to make myself feel so much better about our situation LOL :)

I'll say this much, the Jaguars are an organization that if they get 2021 right could be SERIOUSLY good next 3-5 years.

Young talent has quietly been building...have OOOOOOODLES of cap space right when a bunch of good fiscal cuts are going to happen to other teams....it's like the perfect storm for them and really anyone without a pair of MASSIVE contracts on the roster.

That's true, but to be fair, the Jaguars have been in that position many times before and have typically managed to blow it.

Members online

Latest posts