Packers 2021 salary cap plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The latest projection on the cap is apprx. 180 million which leaves the Packers apprx. 20 million over the cap for 2021.

First things first they're gonna have to release some good players...

Preston Smith - you'd love to keep him but by releasing him as a post June 1st cut you can save 12 m in 2021 while adding 4 m to the 2022 cap. You're now 8 m over the cap.

Christian Kirksey - Packers need to finally bring in a true play maker preferably 2 at ilb. We all saw what devin white and Lavonte David meant to the bucs defense...5.6 m saved you're now 2.4 m over the cap.

Dean Lowry - he'd have been a decent backup but he's just not a starter and now a cheaper younger rotational piece should be located in the draft...3.3 m saved you're now .7 million under the cap.

Rick Wagner - this is a tough one because Wagner played really well in spots and fought thru multiple injuries but this is another position that needs a young up coming player hopefully drafted in the first 4 rounds...4.5 m saved you're now 5.2 m under the cap.

Devin Funchess - no need to spend any cap on a guy who adds nothing Lazard and st brown don't already bring to the table. Have to draft one high...1.27 m saved you're now 6.47 m under the cap.

Josh Jackson - if he's not viewed as a player by the front office, he should be gone. As it's clear the previous defensive coordinator had given up on him. Have to draft one high...1.33 m saved you're now 7.8 m under the cap

Now you've got your draft class + covered. From here you can restructure Rodgers, extend adams etc as needed to sign guys like a.jones, watt, or allen robinson or trade for a guy like julio jones. And fill out the roster and practice squad

Mexican Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My approach would be cut Kirksey no brainer 5.6M
Then cut Wagner 4.2M I do expect the Packers to spend their premium picks in the draft in OT and CB, Wagner is reliable but was a liability in the biggest game, so develop a rookie makes sense

After this everything is complicated

I would get on the phone with Zadarius and Preston, both guys have a better 2019 and their caps are damn too high (21M and 16M) offer them a 1 year extension to lower his cap next year from 37M combined to 19M of course Preston takes a huge pay cut

Otherwise cut Preston under post June 1 designation to save 12M and reestructure Zadarius to clear 7.4M

So Packers clears 29.2M and it's just enough to bring the draft class + Tonyan tender + Lazard

You can cut Lowry but just in case the team.gets a deal done with JJ Watt for the same cap in 2021 around 5M

If Rodgers wants a more competitive team, honestly he needs to take a pay cut, same way Brady did when he was in the exact same situation

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One avenue to clear space that understandably won't be popular would be trading Za'Darius Smith. Doing so would clear 11.5M in space, and should net great draft capital in return. At 28, the acquiring team would get him at basically 10 and 14M for two more seasons, which is a bargain at the level of his performance the last two years.

I am just not confident that he will ever be as good again as he was in Pettine's system when he was given so many interior rush snaps. If you look around the league, it is not at all typical for reducing interior rushers are as productive as Z is, and I think the reason is that most defenses won't give guys like him so many snaps inside.

I could be totally wrong about that. I don't know what Barry will do, and I'm not saying that trading him is a must by any stretch. If he stays, I'm sure he will be a positive for the defense. But I also tend to think he's peaked.

So if the Dolphins called up and offered pick #36, and the Packers could take that selection plus 11.5M in cap savings, and maybe add J.J. Watt... I think there are ways that they can shuffle the deck here without getting worse.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we have anyone we can trade for cap relief?

oh dude...

Trading people usually makes the cap situation worse. At minimum, it’s the same as cutting them.

Assume you sign a player, 4 year deal, 12 million signing bonus. 3 million of cap hit per year due to bonus alone, not counting other salary or roster bonuses.

after 2 years, you trade him. You immediately take the cap hit for any outstanding bonus years that haven’t been paid out. Just like that, 6 million cap hit.

If you did this after year 1, 9 million cap hit.

If you’re in a situation where you want to get rid of the guy bad enough to take the hit, most teams will figure out something is wrong and you’re left just cutting him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Honestly the best fiscal person we have to trade would be Jordan Love...that isn't happening most likely :)

"best" from the fiscal stance of a team would want his fiscal scenario. There are no big cap hit guys that should be traded before cut for us IMO.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly the best fiscal person we have to trade would be Jordan Love...that isn't happening most likely :)

"best" from the fiscal stance of a team would want his fiscal scenario. There are no big cap hit guys that should be traded before cut for us IMO.
Trading Jaire and Savage would also gain $$$ savings over cutting them along with Love. Appears the only savings are with recent high draft picks, probably due to guaranteed salaries. No hope that route.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

One idea:

One avenue to clear space that understandably won't be popular would be trading Za'Darius Smith. Doing so would clear 11.5M in space, and should net great draft capital in return. At 28, the acquiring team would get him at basically 10 and 14M for two more seasons, which is a bargain at the level of his performance the last two years.

I am just not confident that he will ever be as good again as he was in Pettine's system when he was given so many interior rush snaps. If you look around the league, it is not at all typical for reducing interior rushers are as productive as Z is, and I think the reason is that most defenses won't give guys like him so many snaps inside.

I could be totally wrong about that. I don't know what Barry will do, and I'm not saying that trading him is a must by any stretch. If he stays, I'm sure he will be a positive for the defense. But I also tend to think he's peaked.

So if the Dolphins called up and offered pick #36, and the Packers could take that selection plus 11.5M in cap savings, and maybe add J.J. Watt... I think there are ways that they can shuffle the deck here without getting worse.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
oh dude...

Trading people usually makes the cap situation worse. At minimum, it’s the same as cutting them.

Assume you sign a player, 4 year deal, 12 million signing bonus. 3 million of cap hit per year due to bonus alone, not counting other salary or roster bonuses.

after 2 years, you trade him. You immediately take the cap hit for any outstanding bonus years that haven’t been paid out. Just like that, 6 million cap hit.

If you did this after year 1, 9 million cap hit.

If you’re in a situation where you want to get rid of the guy bad enough to take the hit, most teams will figure out something is wrong and you’re left just cutting him.

If a player carries enough value, then trading is of course preferable to cutting-- you get the cap relief and you get something back in return.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a player carries enough value, then trading is of course preferable to cutting-- you get the cap relief and you get something back in return.

That sounds nice, but it doesn't always work out that way.

If you want to cut a player, you've determined that he's overpaid. It's likely the rest of the league agrees with you. If that's true, almost no one will trade for the player, even if they kind of want him. The only time that tends to happen if a particular team really wants the player and is worried another team is ahead of them on the waver wire.

In other situations, why would another team waste the draft pick?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you want to cut a player, you've determined that he's overpaid.

Simply not true. Preston Smith could be the best example currently on our roster. He struggled to create pressures and sacks but was fairly solid elsewhere. The biggest reason we are cutting him is the savings and we have Gary right behind him. Sure we could play the trade field for like a 6th or 7th but the teams all know we are calling because we are going to fiscally cut him....and it is also often times more respectful to the player to allow them and their agent to hit the open market rather than trade them.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So. Regarding the salary cap.

Reportedly, and by reliable reporters, GB has offered Aaron Jones multiple contracts. What that tells me, is that they know they can lower their salary cap enough to sign Jones.

What else does that mean? Means that they can afford Watt if they want to. Probably can’t do both, but I’d rather have Watt.

Now I have no idea how they’d do it, and it doesn’t matter. GB and Russ Ball know how.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simply not true. Preston Smith could be the best example currently on our roster. He struggled to create pressures and sacks but was fairly solid elsewhere. The biggest reason we are cutting him is the savings and we have Gary right behind him. Sure we could play the trade field for like a 6th or 7th but the teams all know we are calling because we are going to fiscally cut him....and it is also often times more respectful to the player to allow them and their agent to hit the open market rather than trade them.

I feel like we agree here?

Preston is a candidate I had in mind. He's not playing up to his contract, so he's overpaid. The other 31 teams are unlikely to trade for him, because he is likely to be cut.

Which is the gist of what I said in #11 up above.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like we agree here?

Preston is a candidate I had in mind. He's not playing up to his contract, so he's overpaid. The other 31 teams are unlikely to trade for him, because he is likely to be cut.

Which is the gist of what I said in #11 up above.

You might have misunderstood my post or I wasn't clear enough. Preston is 100% worth his contract to majority of teams in the league, he isn't worth it for us because we have a ready to replace guy in Gary not many teams have.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not.

But why would you trade for him when you could get him as a free agent?

To ensure you get him. If he makes it to free agency he can go anywhere he wants.

Yup, if you're a team you don't think he would want to go to (for whatever reason) but you want him, I'd jingle Gute's phone if nothing more than a swap of same round picks or a late rounder for him to ensure you get him. I don't see it happening though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

If you want to cut a player, you've determined that he's overpaid. It's likely the rest of the league agrees with you. If that's true, almost no one will trade for the player, even if they kind of want him. The only time that tends to happen if a particular team really wants the player and is worried another team is ahead of them on the waver wire.

Like I say, if a player has enough value, he can be traded rather than cut. It’s a common occurrence in the league.

I doubt they could get much of anything for Preston Smith. Za’Darius would be a different situation.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I say, if a player has enough value, he can be traded rather than cut. It’s a common occurrence in the league.

I guess the issue there is value. If a player is that valuable, seems less likely a team would look to get rid of them.

Za’Darius would be a different situation.

I'd say you're right and this is a different situation. A scheme mismatch, tag-and-trade, not going to re-sign are different than "we can no longer afford him."

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The latest projection on the cap is apprx. 180 million which leaves the Packers apprx. 20 million over the cap for 2021.

Preston Smith - you'd love to keep him but by releasing him as a post June 1st cut you can save 12 m in 2021 while adding 4 m to the 2022 cap. You're now 8 m over the cap.

Christian Kirksey - Packers need to finally bring in a true play maker preferably 2 at ilb. We all saw what devin white and Lavonte David meant to the bucs defense...5.6 m saved you're now 2.4 m over the cap.

Dean Lowry - he'd have been a decent backup but he's just not a starter and now a cheaper younger rotational piece should be located in the draft...3.3 m saved you're now .7 million under the cap.

Rick Wagner - this is a tough one because Wagner played really well in spots and fought thru multiple injuries but this is another position that needs a young up coming player hopefully drafted in the first 4 rounds...4.5 m saved you're now 5.2 m under the cap.

Devin Funchess - no need to spend any cap on a guy who adds nothing Lazard and st brown don't already bring to the table. Have to draft one high...1.27 m saved you're now 6.47 m under the cap.

Josh Jackson - if he's not viewed as a player by the front office, he should be gone. As it's clear the previous defensive coordinator had given up on him. Have to draft one high...1.33 m saved you're now 7.8 m under the cap

Now you've got your draft class + covered. From here you can restructure Rodgers, extend adams etc as needed to sign guys like a.jones, watt, or allen robinson or trade for a guy like julio jones. And fill out the roster and practice squad

I agree with much of this but I don't think the team can cut Jackson. I mean, that would leave, what, 3 corners under contract for the team? Yes, he's been disappointing but at least he knows the basics of the position. You cut Jackson then you're forced to draft/sign at least another 3-4 corners and that's a big ask. The savings for cutting him probably aren't going to be enough to get you a better player. Maybe the next DC can figure out a way to make him effective. Doubtful I know, but it's not like the team has a lot of other options currently on the roster. I also don't think cutting Wagner is a certainty, he's not amazing but he's certainly worth $4.5m.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not.

But why would you trade for him when you could get him as a free agent?
Because you get him for about $11m each of the next two years where you can cut him in year 2 for no cap hit instead of maybe getting into a bidding war where you may need to commit to a $15m signing bonus to get him in the door. Is he worth $11m for a 2 year rental to you? Or would you rather swing at say $40m for a 3rd and 4th year with a cap charge if he flames out?

ETA: all for the low (spitballing an example here) low cost of swapping 4th round picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just for the record, your numbers are a bit off, most notably with Preston Smith. The Packers would only save $8 million by releasing him before the start of the league year.

Otherwise cut Preston under post June 1 designation to save 12M and reestructure Zadarius to clear 7.4M

If Rodgers wants a more competitive team, honestly he needs to take a pay cut, same way Brady did when he was in the exact same situation

The Packers could even save up to $11.5 million of cap space for next year by resturcturing Z's contract.

As a side note, while Brady agreed to restructure his contract multiple times he didn't take less money in the long haul.

Actually a team trading a player can't result in a worse situation regarding the cap as releasing him. Actually a team will save cap space once there are guarantees still to be paid included in the contract as the team acquiring the player will automatically have to inherit those.

The Packers trading Love would result in them taking an additional cap hit of $2.1 million for the 2021 season.

Trading Jaire and Savage would also gain $$$ savings over cutting them along with Love.

Just for the record, the Packers wouldn't save any cap space by trading Savage.

I agree with much of this but I don't think the team can cut Jackson. I mean, that would leave, what, 3 corners under contract for the team? Yes, he's been disappointing but at least he knows the basics of the position. You cut Jackson then you're forced to draft/sign at least another 3-4 corners and that's a big ask. The savings for cutting him probably aren't going to be enough to get you a better player. Maybe the next DC can figure out a way to make him effective. Doubtful I know, but it's not like the team has a lot of other options currently on the roster.

Jackson was a healthy scratch for most games down the stretch in 2020, I don't think the Packers plan on keeping him for next season.

Mexican Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a side note, while Brady agreed to restructure his contract multiple times he didn't take less money in the long haul.

In fact Brady did took a paycut in 2013 being 36 he signed a 3 year extension only worth 27M average 9M per, QBs were making around 20M back there

After that Patriots always got a stud CB from free agency from Talib, Revis to Gilmore
And they always got Brady a new weapon from Amendola, Cooks to Hogan

He changed the approach of his team, giving them cap flexibility and Patriots reached the super bowl 4 times in the next 6 years

It's not coincidence than now Brady joined a team ready to win with an elite defense, he may not be the best QB, but he knows exactly how salary cap works

This report is pure gold, Bucs were interested in Brady last year, but it was Brady the one that wanted to play there, he already know the roster, the pieces they have and need and the cap flexibility, the moment he left the Pats he knew his best chance to win again was at Tampa

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/buc...e-bucs-had-tom-brady-at-hello/?outputType=amp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts