Packers estimated to be $28M under cap for 2015

D

Deleted member 6794

Manning was bad in one of those four games...

They put up 38 in the AFC championship and 29 points in the Super Bowl.

Manning had three TDs and seven INTs during the 2006 playoffs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, your entire argument was about winning with mediocre QBs and even called the guys you listed mediocre.

The bottom line is the facts say it's tough to win without a good QB.

My argument is that Thompson is awfully lucky to have Rodgers as the Packers QB as the team around him is inferior to a lot other teams in the NFL.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My argument is that Thompson is awfully lucky to have Rodgers as the Packers QB as the team around him is inferior to a lot other teams in the NFL.

The offense around Rodgers is very good. Also, the defense is about the middle of the league right now. I'm not seeing it as inferior to a lot of other teams.

Also, Rodgers winning games for them puts them late in the draft compared to teams like the Browns or Bills who have been at the top of the draft for years. Sure makes it a lot easier for teams without QBs to build a roster around the QB.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Teams struggle withbad QBs, there areseveral examples of teams winning Super Bowls with mediocre QBs (Seahawks, Ravens, Giants, Steelers). I guarantee the Packers wouldn't have come close to winning the Super Bowl with any of those QBs.
You can't guarantee that. No one can know the ripple effect if one event in history (the Packers not drafting or keeping Rodgers) would not have taken place. Who would be playing QB? How would not acquiring Rodgers have affected the rest of the roster? Neither you, I, nor anyone else can definitively answer those questions or legitimately guarantee anything about that fantasy past.

BTW, what I find more astounding than Thompson not addressing safety or ILB, was Thompson/McCarthy not putting Hyde at safety the moment he arrived in Green Bay. Hard to imagine the rookie Hyde would have been worse than those starting opposite Burnett in 2013. I also don't understand why they didn't put Bradford at ILB when he arrived. Of course unlike Hyde, we don't know if Bradford belongs in the NFL. But in both instances right after they were selected, I thought Hyde would be a S and Bradford an ILB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Draft and develop together with select free agent signings is the road many teams follow to success.

Green Bay being one of the notable teams that follow this blueprint. Thompson is just more select than most in his free agent signings. He doesn't stray from his blueprint priciples. Much to the angst of many in mid-March every year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My argument is that NE is then lucky to have Brady, Seattle is lucky to have Wilson and Lynch. The fact is, that McCarthy did much to create Rodgers, just like Lombardi created Starr. It's not an accident or pure luck that Wolf and Thompson have been extremely successful in Green Bay. We are very well managed at the highest levels and the results reflect that.

H

HardRightEdge

Green Bay being one of the notable teams that follow this blueprint. Thompson is just more select than most in his free agent signings. He doesn't stray from his blueprint priciples. Much to the angst of many in mid-March every year.
Personally, I don't get angst-ridden over a spectator sport. Whatever the right word might be, I wouldn't confine it to mid-March. If there's any spring time angst, it's on the part of Thompson. Recent drafts and free agent signings have not been "improve a position" moves so much as "fill a glaring hole", with said holes being multi-year problems. He's been at least a year behind the curve in recent years.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, I've never considered that Thompson would be in angst each spring. I think he has a great deal of confidence in the coaching staff to improve the quality of play of the current roster. I think the Peppers signing was to add another impact playmaker to the defense. Something that is very difficult to attain through our annual draft position.

Members online

Latest posts