Packers Defense

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a smart move for Jim Bates to play LBers Na'il Diggs and Nick Barnett on the outsides this season and tough it out at MLB.

Barnett is weak at MLB anyway and it would give the Packers a chance to see if anyone on the roster can play at the MLB position.

If not, Bates can bring in a MLB for 2006 with Diggs and Barnett already in position.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you saying go with formations without an MLB?

Are you saying switch Diggs and Barnett?

Are you saying switch Barnett and let Thompson, Navies, Lenon, Popinga compete for MLB?

Barnett is fast but but has trouble getting through Guards and Tackles blocking him.

I think it is early but I have hopes for 2006 that something along my third question takes place hopefully it is Popinga but if not some other player.

However I have seen Barnett drop quite deep on pass plays from MLB (Yes his rookie year on a 4th and 26.....). He does not get through on blitzes if anyone blocks him especially a lineman.

I like Barnett as a player but I think his talents are on the outside. He is a better version of old Fred Carr type linebacker.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett nearly made NFL Rookie of the Year playing middle linebacker. Ya, he really sucks.

He didn't fare well in Slowik's idiotic system last year. Watch him blossom this year under Bates where fast linebackers destroy Vikings running backs.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net, I totally agree. Barnett will do fine at MLB. Put diggs back over the TE where he belongs and get Navies on the bench. Once we fix the weakside Barnett will be better.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just look how well the undersized Zach Thomas has done in Bates system. The LB's are not the problem. He needs to find DT's that can clog the middle and get some push up the middle on passing downs.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Barnett nearly made NFL Rookie of the Year playing middle linebacker. Ya, he really sucks.

He didn't fare well in Slowik's idiotic system last year. Watch him blossom this year under Bates where fast linebackers destroy Vikings running backs.
Yay Verily, very nicely said my friend. If Barnett is in a half way decent defensive stratagey he will be fine.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett will flourish under Bates system. Have the D-Lineman keep the big hogs off of #56 and watch him destroy the ballcarrier like a heat-seeking missile!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We saw last year what happens when the middle is not "clogged" by DT's.
I hope a bigger guy like Popinga is considered for a plan B or plan C.

Gilbert is no longer a Packer. Grady is threatening not to be there. Hunt plays when he wants to play. Considerations must be planned prior to it being forced upon you. An MLB should be able to blitz when needed.

Barnett is probably Sherman's best draft pick as GM. There was no need for your first sentence Net.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts