Packer Draft Position on the Rise.....

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize that nobody likes loosing and this will probably meet with some negatives, but the Silver Lining in the Packer dismal season will ultimately be the reward of a higher draft position and "easier" 2019 schedule.

Currently, the Packers are sitting at #10. So instead of looking at what we and other teams have to do to get into the playoffs, I will be "somewhat" watching what everyone is doing in regards to draft position. :coffee:

For the Packers, 3 of their last 4 games are against teams currently sitting with worse records (Falcons, Jets Lions). Not that I want to see the Packers "tank" their last 4 games, but if they do lose some or all, they could leapfrog a lot of these teams. I will still be pulling for Packer victories, but I will also be cheering hard for most of these cellar dwellers to win each week too.
  1. Raiders (2-10): Remaining Games (Steelers, @Bengals, Broncos, @Chiefs)
  2. 49'ers (2-10): (Broncos, Seahawks, Bears, @Rams)
  3. Jets (3-9): (@Bills, Texans, Packers, @Patriots)
  4. Cardinals (3-9): (Lions, @Falcons, Rams, @Seahawks)
  5. Bills (4-8): (Jets, Lions, @Pats, Phins)
  6. Jaguars (4-8): (@Titans, Skins, @Phins, @Texans)
  7. Giants (4-8): (@Skins, Titans, @Colts, Cowboys)
  8. Lions (4-8): (@Cards, @Bills, Vikes, @Pack)
  9. Falcons (4-8): (@Pack, Cards, @Panthers, @Bills)
  10. Packers (4-7-1): (Falcons, @Bears, @Jets, Lions)
  11. Browns (4-7-1): (Panthers, @Broncos, Bengals, @Ravens)
We are picking ahead of the browns currently? Eh chit....

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You'll change your mind. Very good TE class.

I've generally felt that drafting a TE in the first few rounds is kind of a waste; just draft ex-basketball players every year in the 6th round or lower and try to develop them. It's extremely rare for a high round TE to contribute quickly in the NFL, might as well just develop a lower round guy. Yeah, the hit-rate is low, that's why you just draft a guy every year.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I've generally felt that drafting a TE in the first few rounds is kind of a waste; just draft ex-basketball players every year in the 6th round or lower and try to develop them. It's extremely rare for a high round TE to contribute quickly in the NFL, might as well just develop a lower round guy. Yeah, the hit-rate is low, that's why you just draft a guy every year.
Not to mention that depending on what Gute does in Free Agency, there are way more needs to use those high picks on at other positions.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict the Packers will go 2-2, losing to the Bears and the Falcons, beating the Jets and the Lions, and end up 6-9-1, probably picking #9.

CBS Sports has us taking Deionte Thompson at Safety, their reasoning is that Thompson is head and shoulders above any other Safety in the draft: "The Packers add more young talent to their secondary with this selection, as Thompson is the biggest difference-maker at the safety spot in the 2019 class. He's a stellar run-defender because of his quickness and tackle reliability and can range from the deep middle to make plays in coverage."

If the Packers drafted higher than #9 I wonder if they could land Quinnen Williams?

Last edited:

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure i can take another Alabama Safety, we had a future all pro safety sitting in our lap last year...derwin James. I go 1a edge 1b OT 2nd edge OT or DL..get best one remaining.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure i can take another Alabama Safety, we had a future all pro safety sitting in our lap last year...derwin James. I go 1a edge 1b OT 2nd edge OT or DL..get best one remaining.

Agreed. I'd rather try and land a FA safety. The Packers have spent enough high draft picks on that damn secondary. Time to address other positions.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict the Packers will go 2-2, losing to the Bears and the Falcons, beating the Jets and the Lions, and end up 6-9-1, probably picking #9.

CBS Sports has us taking Deionte Thompson at Safety, their reasoning is that Thompson is head and shoulders above any other Safety in the draft: "The Packers add more young talent to their secondary with this selection, as Thompson is the biggest difference-maker at the safety spot in the 2019 class. He's a stellar run-defender because of his quickness and tackle reliability and can range from the deep middle to make plays in coverage."

If the Packers drafted higher than #9 I wonder if they could land Quinnen Williams?

Would love if the Packers could get Thompson at #9; not sure he'll last that long though as he really is the best free safety to come out of college in a long time. You want a guy that can play the Earl Thomas role, Thompson is the guy most likely to be able to do that.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would love if the Packers could get Thompson at #9; not sure he'll last that long though as he really is the best free safety to come out of college in a long time. You want a guy that can play the Earl Thomas role, Thompson is the guy most likely to be able to do that.
So lets say you take thompson at 9...by 32 and 42 pick most your top 5 Edge and OL guys are gone. FA is a difficult place to find Edge/OT its top dollar time. Seems to me you get more value out of drafting best Edge guy at 9 and best OL at 32, then move on to BPA at WR and Safety. plus FA has more value at Safety position and WR. Im not saying your going to find a blue chip Safety in FA...but maybe a upgrade wouldnt be that difficult....considering whats there now.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the promising thing with Gute is he will have enough money to actually fill needs via Free Agency, which in some cases can be a more sure thing. Then he enters the draft with less of a "draft players we need right now mentality". TT seemed to try to do the draft that way too often and it didn't work.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
might as well just tank the season. it's like winning the superbowl of who will get the best draft picks!

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the promising thing with Gute is he will have enough money to actually fill needs via Free Agency, which in some cases can be a more sure thing. Then he enters the draft with less of a "draft players we need right now mentality". TT seemed to try to do the draft that way too often and it didn't work.
Hope Gute has better luck on this go around, because his FA deal with Graham was a failure...he didnt do his homework he paid top dollar to a guy thats a shell of himself.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope Gute has better luck on this go around, because his FA deal with Graham was a failure...he didnt do his homework he paid top dollar to a guy thats a shell of himself.

That's the risk of free agendy. You're not gonna hit 100%.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Easy to say now, but at the time the Packers were in the market for a quality TE and Gute swung for the fences with who was perceived to be the best one on the market at the time. If memory serves me correct, the 2nd best option was Trey Burton, who the Bears signed. Well, he hasn't fared any better.

Graham:
72 targets 44 catches 536 yards 12.2 ave/catch 2 TD's

Burton:
53 targets 38 catches 448 yards 11.8 ave. 5 TD's

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that the beginning of the Rodgers-to-Graham passes hasn't been all that hot this year.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham has not been known for his blocking, but its just terrible, and his routes are lazy, he lost his legs. I bet you 50/50 chance even with the killer cap hit...he not in GB next year.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a GOOD TE who is a receiving threat can be had in the 1st round

Greg Olsen
Jeremy Shockey
Dustin Keller
Kyle Rudolph
Tony Gonzalez
Jermaine Gresham
Vernon Davis
Ben Watson

Gronk , Zack Ertz and Kelce were all 2-3

I think drafting one high is worth it...

Of course we drafted Bubba Franks in the 1st years ago and he wasn't a spectacular TE but you'll also get guys like that, Mercedez Lewis, Brandon Pettigrew, etc but they're solid picks

You can find Antonio Gates as an UDFA but I'd just spend a high pick already for a guy who can get you 700yds and 10 touchdowns

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ooops...yes and thank you for the correction. Will actually be interesting to see if that number rises, falls or stays the same for the Falcons game. Just for sh*ts and giggles I got on Craigslist for tickets to the Cardinal game, many were 1/2 off face or "best offer". That is a very telling sign of what ticket holders are thinking, considering that at the time, the Packers were still "technically" in the playoff hunt.
Wow, 15,000 no shows?!?! For a team that sells out Family Night, this is pretty stunning. But the numbers are where they are. I’m too old and cranky to go to games anyway. The numbers are certainly a statement on where fans are with this team, this year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham has not been known for his blocking, but its just terrible, and his routes are lazy, he lost his legs. I bet you 50/50 chance even with the killer cap hit...he not in GB next year.
I don’t expect to see Graham back next year. Right after my disappointment with the team is my disappointment in #80. His athleticism is below average and he’s stumbling a lot. I really thought he’d show us a lot more this year.

That said, the Packers have always excelled when they’ve had a top 5 TE. Letting Jared Cook go becasue he wanted more than $3 mil/year was a mistake. He was the last great TE to play in GB. We all know what happened with Marty..... Maybe use the next four games to see what Tonyan can do. I don’t expect him to excel at blocking, but he seems to have the speed, intelligence, and athleticism to stretch the field. Might as well find out now in real games. Well, sorta-real games.......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a GOOD TE who is a receiving threat can be had in the 1st round

Greg Olsen
Jeremy Shockey
Dustin Keller
Kyle Rudolph
Tony Gonzalez
Jermaine Gresham
Vernon Davis
Ben Watson

Gronk , Zack Ertz and Kelce were all 2-3

I think drafting one high is worth it...

Of course we drafted Bubba Franks in the 1st years ago and he wasn't a spectacular TE but you'll also get guys like that, Mercedez Lewis, Brandon Pettigrew, etc but they're solid picks

You can find Antonio Gates as an UDFA but I'd just spend a high pick already for a guy who can get you 700yds and 10 touchdowns
I didn’t know Gronk, Ertz, and Kelce were 2nd and 3rd round picks. Unfortunately, the Packers will have to focus on edge rusher, safety, and O-line with their early picks (depending on what happens in FA). Even so, a good to great tight end can be found outside the first round.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought you were all in on the lose the Mosa draft Nick Bosa train.;)

Seriously it is a silver lining and there is no harm in looking at it that way. I will be pulling for the victories as well but I also understand that there is some benefit in losing.

Instead of wondering how much help the Packers need to make the playoffs now we can wonder how much help they need to get the #1 pick. I think they could even win a game and still get it.
Well, at least losing won’t have the sting it’s had up to this point in the season. I always want them to win, but a loss won’t hurt much either and could help depending on how the draft order falls.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He was the last great TE to play in GB.
You mean the 10 games with 30 receptions for 377 yards Jared Cook? Yeah we could really use that one TD he had. Or do you just remember his 3 game playoff stats. 18/229 - 2TD.
I'll take Graham with his 44 receptions for 536 yards in 12 games so far.

Members online

Latest posts