Pack should have been in the position of the Eagles with QBs

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching the Eagles entertain offers for their QBs I can't help to reflect on our own QB situation.

Had Brohm developed into what he was touted to be, what a great position the Pack would be this year. Had Brohm turned into a viable starting QB we would have at least gotten our 2nd pick back (even a 1st or 2nd and 4th) or teams may be interested in Flynn (7th round), turn into a 3rd or even 2nd.

Having some of these extra draft choices this year would have been great, not to mention the possible trade that could have been made.

I can't criticize TT for the pick, I even thought at the time to get a QB like Brohm for only a 2nd round pick was a smooth move. We get an excellent backup QB for little money and latter turn that 2nd pick into a 1st.

It is interesting that TT, except for last years draft, has not done well in the first two rounds, he has really made his living in the latter rounds.

I hope we have a repeat of last year, but I would be happy to trade down this year, especially with TT's track record.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why we got Brohm in the second round only to let him go. You would think we could have gotten at least a 3rd or 4th round pick for the guy.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn was a nice surprise and brohm was a disapointment. I consider it a wash.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm, sadly, never showed the potential he did in college.

He was consistantly beaten by Flynn.

And if anyone knows QBs, it's MM and his staff (see Rodgers, Aaron).

And about the thread, we may be in the same position that the Eagles are in a year from now, with Flynn. The Browns showed interest in him, but don't know why it didn't pan out.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And about the thread, we may be in the same position that the Eagles are in a year from now, with Flynn. The Browns showed interest in him, but don't know why it didn't pan out.

As of right now, it would not be a good idea to trade Flynn or get rid of him in any manner.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider Rodgers Iron Man #2, he got injured his first two seasons I believe, and although he survived this round of beatings we never know about the years ahead. After seeing Brady go down two years ago it knocked some sense in how important a back up qb is.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I still can't believe that if Brohm hadn't been an idiot and he'd come out a year before he actually did he might've went #1 overall. :lol:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider Rodgers Iron Man #2, he got injured his first two seasons I believe, and although he survived this round of beatings we never know about the years ahead. After seeing Brady go down two years ago it knocked some sense in how important a back up qb is.
The guy playerd through a freakin dislocated shoulder, without missing a single start.

I'm not saying he's Favre, but he has shown he's durable, despite his early years...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just goes to show that college players can't all be trusted for what they are worth. All it does tell is what kind of potential they have. Brohm fits this idea perfectly. He was one of the best college QB's in his class but failed to excel in the NFL. For all we know even this year's draft picks can all be busts despite people calling this "the best draft class ever."

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a 3rd rounder??? I'd do it in a hearth beat. You can get backup qbs, specially when your QB is iron man #2.
I actually think Flynn can do better than any other QB in the 3rd or 4th round. I know.........Flynn was what???? a 7th? Ya can't really compare a guy by what round he goes. Not always anyhow. Who do you think is a better QB. J Russell (Raiders) or Flynn? Personally......I'd rather have Flynn. If ya don't like that comparison........this one will prove my point. Ryan Leaf or Flynn? Flynn might not be the next coming of Dan Marino.....but he is not that bad........and I see him getting better. He did win a National Championship. Although he did not pass for 6 TD's and throw for 600 yds in that game.......he did what he had to do ......to win.
He's a winner.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think Flynn can do better than any other QB in the 3rd or 4th round. I know.........Flynn was what???? a 7th? Ya can't really compare a guy by what round he goes. Not always anyhow. Who do you think is a better QB. J Russell (Raiders) or Flynn? Personally......I'd rather have Flynn. If ya don't like that comparison........this one will prove my point. Ryan Leaf or Flynn? Flynn might not be the next coming of Dan Marino.....but he is not that bad........and I see him getting better. He did win a National Championship. Although he did not pass for 6 TD's and throw for 600 yds in that game.......he did what he had to do ......to win.
He's a winner.
Of course not. I agree. But what's more important? Finding our future CB our a backup QB?

We can get a vet as backup QB. But if that 3rd allows us to pick our CB of the future, I'd trade it in a heart beat.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course not. I agree. But what's more important? Finding our future CB our a backup QB?

We can get a vet as backup QB. But if that 3rd allows us to pick our CB of the future, I'd trade it in a heart beat.
We are paying Flynn 7th round pay. We can get our CB of the future, with the 2nd or 3rd rounder we already have. I mean.....who wouldn't want to have a extra 3rd rounder. But if we had an extra 3rd rounder....I'd use it to move up a bit in the 1st to make sure we got our Left tackle.

SidelineScouting

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, its frustrating.... Brohm was a complete flop. I don't understand it either. Coming out of college, the great thing about Brohm was that he was so good reading defenses and was considered a safe pick. I'd rather have henne... hmph

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A vet QB? would you like to pick someone off the wire? any suggestions? Jeff Garcia or Dante are pretty much the only choices.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's being reported that th Eagles were offered OJ Atogwe and the Rams' 2nd round pick for Mcnabb. Are the Rams really that stupid? Offering a high draft pick and a young pro bowl caliber safety for a washed up veteran QB? Hell the Packers should get in on this deal by offering the Rams Flynn, Hawk, and our 2nd or 3rd.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A vet QB? would you like to pick someone off the wire? any suggestions? Jeff Garcia or Dante are pretty much the only choices.
I've said before, I don't think nobody out there is better than Flynn. Flynn IMHO is a great backup.

So good, in fact, that he might warrant a 3rd rounder.

And considering how unimportant the backup QB position is, specially with a durable QB like Rodgers, I'd trade him.

every1else

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we should get rid of Flynn just yet. There is no way to know that Rodgers, god forbid, breaks his leg or tears his ACL first game of the season.

Then what do we do? If we have Flynn we put him in, he knows the system, he can win us some games.

Better than having some washed up vet go in and suck.

I think Flynn is a great insurance policy until we get another QB we can train.

The Eagles are in this position because they have 3 starting caliber QBs.
Say what you will about Vick, but I think he can still start and is being underused in Philly.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we keep Flynn. Even if we got a second round pick for him we could end up with a complete dud like Brohm. Why gamble away a two year investment which is a sure thing at backup QB, for a pick which could be nothing but a headache and heartburn a year from now? It's not like we are paying this guy top dollar to not play.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are paying Flynn 7th round pay. We can get our CB of the future, with the 2nd or 3rd rounder we already have. I mean.....who wouldn't want to have a extra 3rd rounder. But if we had an extra 3rd rounder....I'd use it to move up a bit in the 1st to make sure we got our Left tackle.

I guess thats my point, "if" Brohm had worked out we could have traded Brohm and still kept Flynn or vise versa, gotten and extra pick. Had Brohm showed any promise and development (combined with his college career)while in Green Bay, I am pretty sure we could have gotten a first round pick from somebody. QB position commands a higher price than any other position.

I guess when we made that pick I really thought that was a great move, but did not work, could not even win the backup role.

Just think how much attention the Eagles are getting, If Brohm had worked out the Pack would have 2 (young) starting QBs with a very able backup with Flynn who could be a possible starter. This would be far better situation than the what the Eagles are in.

JK_JEEP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Brohm pick was terrible no matter how you look at it. I can't live in an "If, ands and Buts" world. That was a firsat day draft pick that didn't have any sort of impact on the Packers while he was here. He wasn't good enough to make the roster and Green Bay got nothing for him because of that. In no world could I ever agree that that was a good pick.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Brohm pick was terrible no matter how you look at it. I can't live in an "If, ands and Buts" world. That was a firsat day draft pick that didn't have any sort of impact on the Packers while he was here. He wasn't good enough to make the roster and Green Bay got nothing for him because of that. In no world could I ever agree that that was a good pick.

I think everybody is in agreement with you that the pick was a bust, but I understand why TT made it. Remember that at the time A-rod was not a proven commodity and there were durability issues. For a 2nd round pick he got a guy that played all 4 years in college and had shown signs at one time of being a 1st round selection. Brohm was an insurance policy at the time (very few options open for TT and the fact that the Packers really thought BF was going to retire). If A-rod did not work out (just could not cut it) or got hurt, Brohm in theory would have been another option to develop into BF's replacement.

Hind sight is 20/20, but I would have made the same choice given the circumstances.

The irony in all this is that TT saw the same potential in Flynn, who only started one year in college because he had the miss fortune in playing behind J. Russel of the Raiders for 3 years. That pick has done what at the very least Brohm should have.

JK_JEEP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everybody is in agreement with you that the pick was a bust, but I understand why TT made it. Remember that at the time A-rod was not a proven commodity and there were durability issues. For a 2nd round pick he got a guy that played all 4 years in college and had shown signs at one time of being a 1st round selection. Brohm was an insurance policy at the time (very few options open for TT and the fact that the Packers really thought BF was going to retire). If A-rod did not work out (just could not cut it) or got hurt, Brohm in theory would have been another option to develop into BF's replacement.

Hind sight is 20/20, but I would have made the same choice given the circumstances.

I understand what you are saying but I didn't like it then and I still don't like it today. There were bigger needs than back up QB at the time. I think Thompson did a horrible job in that draft. He used our first two picks on luxuary positions when there was a player sitting there that could have been a day one starter.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Yet Brohm has started a game in the NFL and Flynn has not. Brohm has thrown more passes then Flynn, and has a higher completion percentage and better rating. I think the Packers cut him to soon. But, hey, they really needed all those FB's. on the roster. In reality, only time will tell.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet Brohm has started a game in the NFL and Flynn has not. Brohm has thrown more passes then Flynn, and has a higher completion percentage and better rating. I think the Packers cut him to soon. But, hey, they really needed all those FB's. on the roster. In reality, only time will tell.

You bring up a good point, shows how little confidence MM had in Brohm by keeping 3 full backs.

I really think they though nobody would have taken Brohm, the Bills are an organization at the time that were willing to sign TO for ticket sales, they really don't make any sense.

Besides the Bills, who would have went after Brohm last year? I think it was a bad choice for Brohm, chances are he gets cut this year where as the Packers would have stuck with him longer having made the investment in him, Bills really have nothing invested so nothing lost, bad career choice.

Members online

Latest posts