Overall Graft Grades, PF "experts"

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yup. colts were sitting at 26 but when the Packers moved ahead of them they traded their pick for two 2nd round picks.
It looks like, unbeknownst to me, Savage was rising quickly. Would he have gone before 30? Who knows? But he impressed me with his production. They need a versatile and FAST center fielder, and with a 4.38 40, they got the fast. Let Amos and Jones play close to the LOS, and give Savage the FS job. Time will tell.......

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced it was necessary to trade up for Savage either but if other teams considered him as their #1 rated safety it might have been a smart move.

It's absolutely ridiculous to compare Gutekunst drafting Gary to the Packers selecting Campbell.

1. Savage should have been taken at 12, Parris Campbell at 30

2. If he turns out to be an injury liability or another Nick Perry, the claim is true

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Savage should have been taken at 12, Parris Campbell at 30g

2. If he turns out to be an injury liability or another Nick Perry, the claim is true
I like your draft better than what transpired, and it wouldn’t Have cost two 4th rounders........ For some reason, they liked Gary, as did a lot of analysts. Lack of production is a concern, but we need to look at how much he disrupted an opposing offense.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually for once, saw the board fall pretty much as I expected, although I figured Haskins instead of Jones. My fear that the Packers would miss out on one of the Devin's, Oliver or Hochenson was hammered home early. Gary shocked me at first, but actually given what was left and after hearing Gutes analysis of it, I am now pretty pleased. In hind site, the one move that might have pleased me more was to try and move up to grab Oliver at #9 and maybe Gute tried, but the price was too steep.
I think you nailed it. I thought Hock would be there at #12. Still, Gary ain’t a bad consolation prize, and now that I’ve done some homework, Savage may have been worth the two fourth rounders. Looks to me like the d is set for now.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Savage should have been taken at 12, Parris Campbell at 30

So let’s see if I have this right. You would have used your 12th pick on the guy we got at 21 and the 30th pick on a guy that went 59th. I have no words for this.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So let’s see if I have this right. You would have used your 12th pick on the guy we got at 21 and the 30th pick on a guy that went 59th. I have no words for this.
In Packerfan’s defense, I don’t think Savage lasts until 59 (if that’s what you’re suggesting). At the same time, yeah, 12 would have been much to high with the other candidates on the board.

Looking through this draft, Gluten must have figured Savage wouldn’t have Made it to 30. I have no idea if that’s true, but will give the benefit if the doubt to Gluten. I still like Gary at 12, production and shoulder issues aside. My issue is this - is he an impact player? I liked Brian Burns, but he looks too light to come in and produce at the level they need him to produce.

Either way, Gary is a bit of a gamble.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Here is your 2019 Packer Draft Class....barring them trading back in :)

1(12): OLB/DE Rashan Gary
1(21): S Darnell Savage Jr.
2(44): C/G Elgton Jenkins
3(75): TE Jace Sternberger
5(150): DT Kingsley Keke
6(185): CB Ka’dar Hollman
6(194): RB Dexter Williams
7(226): ILB Ty Summers

Another Defensive draft for sure.... 5 Defensive players, including the first 2 picks.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Packerfan’s defense, I don’t think Savage lasts until 59 (if that’s what you’re suggesting). At the same time, yeah, 12 would have been much to high with the other candidates on the board.

Looking through this draft, Gluten must have figured Savage wouldn’t have Made it to 30. I have no idea if that’s true, but will give the benefit if the doubt to Gluten. I still like Gary at 12, production and shoulder issues aside. My issue is this - is he an impact player? I liked Brian Burns, but he looks too light to come in and produce at the level they need him to produce.

Either way, Gary is a bit of a gamble.

Ugh, my grade, solid C. Hope I’m wrong.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Another Defensive draft for sure.... 5 Defensive players, including the first 2 picks.

Love our first four picks! After Sternberger anything goes. Can't wait for undrafted free agents

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love our first four picks! After Sternberger anything goes. Can't wait for undrafted free agents
I'm on board with you. Maybe we do find a punt returner as an UFA. Although it is already looking like we may have some tough cuts coming. :tdown:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just caught a glimpse of Mike Pettine after this draft.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looks like, unbeknownst to me, Savage was rising quickly. Would he have gone before 30? Who knows? But he impressed me with his production. They need a versatile and FAST center fielder, and with a 4.38 40, they got the fast. Let Amos and Jones play close to the LOS, and give Savage the FS job. Time will tell.......
gute knew!

TDF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me, from reading all these posts, that most of the posters on this topic drive trucks. Not because they need them for their job, but because they watch a lot of TV and the ads tell them that trucks are the best:)
I’m 54 years old and have been watching the draft since the days it used to be on ESPN on like a Tuesday and they did all 12 rounds the same day. What I have learned from all these years of drafts? With all of the research and science involved it’s still a freaking crap shoot. Guys from round 6 turn out stars and guys from round 1 are done in a few years. It’s a huge change in life when you stick more money in a young mans pocket then he’s ever imagined and then put him against the besot of the best for 16 + games a season. I’ll just wait and see who can play for the Packers next season and who can’t. All these idiots on TV don’t know either!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first round seemed a little underwhelming and confusing, but when you view the draft as a whole, I think it looks pretty good. Now I hope our coaching staff can develop these guys to their potential.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok...draft is complete. this expert gives them...a B+ lol. the only thing keeping it from being an A is the gary shoulder situation. if it doesn't affect him...great! if it does and he gets it fixed and all's well afterward...great again! but if it's his downfall...not good. good thing there's always next year.

btw...charlie what's-his-name on nfl network chose the Packers as one of the teams that "won the draft."

GO PACK!

and Let's Go Bruins!

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think i'm gonna score this draft as a B-

mainly for having 5 D picks and only 3 on O, especially when we gave up the 2 4th rd picks(gute went and got his man though, i trust this). i would have like more put into the OL in particular to help protect AR.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary pick is the only one I disagreed with fully....but if I removed it and pretended rest of draft is what it is I'm at B-....and Gary's potential alone bumps my opinion to a solid B overall. Time truly is all that matters, what grade does it have in 3 years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mark Murphy seems to like the results of the draft and the newly fallen snow in Wisconsin!

H

HardRightEdge

Dorsey has won so many SBs with different teams. At least he had the low draft picks when he took over. Oh, wait, he has won nothing?
Dorsey is not shy about picking up players with big mouths or trouble in their backgrounds. If KC fires Hill, will he follow Hunt to Cleveland? Don't bet against it.

Evidently, Dorsey is more confident in his ability to herd the cats than most GMs, probably more than any other GM. If he can channel all that business toward winning, he will see success. If not, it can spin out of control. He's all-in on high risk/high reward approach.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Dorsey is not shy about picking up players with big mouths or trouble in their backgrounds. If KC fires Hill, will he follow Hunt to Cleveland? Don't bet against it.

Evidently, Dorsey is more confident in his ability to herd the cats than most GMs, probably more than any other GM. If he can channel all that business toward winning, he will see success. If not, it can spin out of control. He's all-in on high risk/high reward approach.

Dorsey and the Cleveland fan base are probably so hungry to win, turning the other cheek is going to start feeling natural. Buy yes, that is the kind of thing that if it implodes on you, the whole house of cards can come down on top of you.