Week 1 Best and Worst Graded Players

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per PFF, like each year here is the best 5 and worst 5 from both sides of the ball for the last game (vs Vikings)

For note I removed anyone with less than 10 snaps played.

OFFENSE BEST:

Josiah Deguara 79.9
AJ Dillon 76.7
Yosh Nijman 71.0
Aaron Jones 68.5
Romeo Doubs 68.2

DEFENSE BEST:

Kingsley Enagbare 71.7
De'Vondre Campbell 71.2
Kenny Clark 70.1
Rashan Gary 69.9
Rasul Douglas 69.7

OFFENSE WORST:
Zach Tom 43.2
Jake Hanson 44.4
Christian Watson 45.1
Jon Runyan 47.6
Josh Myers 55.7

DEFENSE WORST:
Adrian Amos 28.3
Darnell Savage 29.7
Jonathan Garvin 43.4
Dean Lowry 45.9
TJ SLaton 52.4

Tyni Notes/Observations:

I'm shocked Tom scored that bad, and now really has me intrigued to watch back the film isolating attention on him as I felt he was doing quite well when he came in - have to see if my bias eyes towards him lied to me or is PFF grading just rough on him?

The entire team suffered...anytime you only have 3 guys over 70 from either side of the ball is going to typically spell doom overall.

Two rookies graded out well first game (Romeo and Kingsley)...I assume PFF interpreted the one early miscue between Romeo and Rodgers more a read disagreement and not a blown route which caused the incomplete pass.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about Savage. Is it time to think about replacing him? He should be a great centerfielder but... Abernathy?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about Savage. Is it time to think about replacing him? He should be a great centerfielder but... Abernathy?

The shine is beginning to wear off on Savage. He's shown flashes of what he could be but at some point, those flashes need to become the norm.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Based overall, he hasn't earned that 5th year option, and arguably he has not earned us desiring to push for a new contract once his rookie one hits. The problem with Savage is when he is good he is VERY VERY GOOD.

I'm not holding any more feelings to Savage based on this game given how autrocious overall it was...I do however strongly think GB needs to think elsewhere and put Safety scouts out for next draft rather heavily. I was for us targeting one this last year honestly and I thought the Quay Walker pic was going to be a S or a WR.

D

Deleted member 6794

i agree and i put a large portion of the blame on the coaches for not having the team prepared. it is going to be a long season i guess.

Don't forget that the Packers got blown out by the Saints in week 1 of last year. They did pretty well after that though.

Based overall, he hasn't earned that 5th year option, and arguably he has not earned us desiring to push for a new contract once his rookie one hits.

Unfortunately the Packers already exercised the fifth year option on Savage for next year, resulting in them having to pay him close to $8 million for the 2023 season.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget that the Packers got blown out by the Saints in week 1 of last year. They did pretty well after that though.

Unfortunately the Packers already exercised the fifth year option on Savage for next year, resulting in them having to pay him close to $8 million for the 2023 season.

You know I thought about the fifth year last night and was like wait a second, we had to have already chosen or not and for the life of me couldn't remember. Yup, we did....so fifth year on a safety isn't a TON, and if Savage can provide adaquate B grade ish level play it'll be worth it...but I am hoping Safety might be an addition we see in the draft this next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

You know I thought about the fifth year last night and was like wait a second, we had to have already chosen or not and for the life of me couldn't remember. Yup, we did....so fifth year on a safety isn't a TON, and if Savage can provide adaquate B grade ish level play it'll be worth it...but I am hoping Safety might be an addition we see in the draft this next year.

If Savage continues to perform like he did against the Vikings him earning $8 million next season should be considered robbery ;)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I was hoping they would address that in the past draft.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping they would address that in the past draft.

I as well, everyone here knows how big of a fan I was of us adding Daxton Hill from Michigan and I honestly thought that was whose name we were going to call on pick #28 and even a chance of as early as our #22. The other guy I liked Pitre had an excellent first week for the Texans...even Brisker that the Bears got was another I thought we may go for in the second till we traded away two for Watson.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether or not they have to pay him; they should put the best player on the field. They can't sit around hoping. imho give someone else a chance if Savage can't get in a position to knock down some passes.

Reaction score
I don’t know if our D was winded or what. But on looking for the replay of the Z hit on Rodgers I noticed something repetitive. Preston Smith missed a sack on Cousins with poor tackling and a few plays later he allowed Cook to run right threw him for a 1st down 10 yard run vs a 4 yard gain late in the game. Overall he showed good effort though.

The players behind him? all missed the tackle also. But what was very noticeable was #26 gave up completely and was just watching everyone as a spectator as Cook continued to rumble down the field for a 10+ run. This is becoming an issue for Savage as he prefers not to get involved tackling unless it’s imperative. Savage is an average cover Safety that has poor level effort in many games I’ve watched.

Dud: Darnell Savage (I’m going to nickname him “Laurels” for resting on them)

Dear Joe Barry:
Give us Packer fans a Safety that gets involved regular, we don’t need #26 complacent in our Backfield…please!

PS. If he’s afraid to hit someone tell him Wendy’s is hiring Managers who don’t work

Love,

Oldschool101

Last edited:
Reaction score
Stud: Blocking by Watson.

On that goal line TD by Dillon WR #9 Watson made a key block on Harrison Smith that likely saved a stop there. His block was instrumental in our lone TD at the goal line

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: Blocking by Watson.

On that goal line TD by Dillon WR #9 Watson made a key block on Harrison Smith that likely saved a stop there. His block was instrumental in our lone TD at the goal line

He has the frame to be a blocker not just by willingness and positioning, but legit moving and sustaining ability in his strength.

Reaction score
He has the frame to be a blocker not just by willingness and positioning, but legit moving and sustaining ability in his strength.
Yes and You know. Another time I saw Randall Cobb as a surprisingly willing and capable blocker for his size. He often Comes out of nowhere downfield in support. He’s a A+ at hustle

Nijman was seen 12 yards down the field catching up and chipping in to push Dillon. He’s another huge effort player.

Runyon was seeing 10 yards downfield blocking for RB #33 and it paid off in a 20+ run. Lewis had a classic seal block on the inside that sparked that same big play. I could’ve run through the initial hole for 5 yards.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Game #1. Let's see how they grade out in #2. I have a hunch that by the time I'm typing this, there's a lot of players being addressed directly for their inconsistency.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know if our D was winded or what. But on looking for the replay of the Z hit on Rodgers I noticed something repetitive. Preston Smith missed a sack on Cousins with poor tackling and a few plays later he allowed Cook to run right threw him for a 1st down 10 yard run vs a 4 yard gain late in the game. Overall he showed good effort though.

The players behind him? all missed the tackle also. But what was very noticeable was #26 gave up completely and was just watching everyone as a spectator as Cook continued to rumble down the field for a 10+ run. This is becoming an issue for Savage as he prefers not to get involved tackling unless it’s imperative. Savage is an average cover Safety that has poor level effort in many games I’ve watched.

Dud: Darnell Savage (I’m going to nickname him “Laurels” for resting on them)

Dear Joe Barry:
Give us Packer fans a Safety that gets involved regular, we don’t need #26 complacent in our Backfield…please!

PS. If he’s afraid to hit someone tell him Wendy’s is hiring Managers who don’t work

Love,

Oldschool101
The major reason I've cooled so much toward pro sports over the past few decades. By the end of next year, he'll have sucked in over $20 mil in five years out of college - regardless of job performance. Seriously doubt he'd have to look for a fast-food job.

Reaction score
The major reason I've cooled so much toward pro sports over the past few decades. By the end of next year, he'll have sucked in over $20 mil in five years out of college - regardless of job performance. Seriously doubt he'd have to look for a fast-food job.
Oh I don't know, he would make a fantastic French Fry as he's becoming very experienced at getting Deep Fried

D

Deleted member 6794

@captainWIMM and 5th year option pick ups are fully guaranteed right?

Yes.

Whether or not they have to pay him; they should put the best player on the field. They can't sit around hoping. imho give someone else a chance if Savage can't get in a position to knock down some passes.

While I agree the Packers should put the best players on the field they currently don't have a better safety on the roster to replace Savage. In addition it's not a smart approach to pay a player a significant amount of money to have him sit on the bench.