Overall Graft Grades, PF "experts"

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I get a kick out how many grades were offered before we even got to day 2.
I think some of those "grades" were pre-meditated before Day 1. ;)

+++++++++++++++++++

Some links to Follow ups with Gute and Matty L

Gutes Presser:

https://www.packers.com/video/gutekunst-excited-by-2019-draft-class

John Kuhn with Gute:

https://www.packers.com/video/gutekunst-1-on-1-these-guys-will-be-up-to-the-task

Matty L's Presser:

https://www.packers.com/video/lafleur-we-added-key-pieces

Matty L with The Rock:

https://www.packers.com/video/lafleur-1-on-1-really-excited-about-where-we-re-going

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Disappointed:
  • The 12th pick. I actually have always been impressed by Gary, so I'm not complaining about the choice. But I was bummed that all of my top choices were gone, and they literally went in order from picks 8-11.
  • This was a pretty strong tackle class, and the Packers didn't come away with one. A Kaleb McGary or Max Scharping might have solved the RT issue a year in advance.
  • Losing the extra picks. If Savage was their #1 safety by a good margin, I'm fine with the moves. But if was a bummer to see them miss out on extra lotto tickets.
Excited:
  • Rashan Gary is a total freakshow, and not just at the combine. As a consolation prize, he's pretty exciting. He and Za'Darius can play inside/outside interchangeably.
  • I was pretty skeptical of Lane Taylor in this offense, and was concerned that he might hold the running game back while remaining a liability in protection. Elgton Jenkins really alleviates those concerns.
  • Value-- other than Dexter Williams, I didn't watch the later round picks. But from what I've read, Keke, Hollman, and Williams are all more talented than their draft slots.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My concern here is we have to hit on Summers, Savage and Jenkins, and even if we hit on those picks we STILL in 2021 or 2022 may end up drafting #1 overall through no fault of Gute or the scouts. I see so many teams hit and really had great drafts. Did we need another corner? Probably not. Should we have doubled up on ILB or S? Probably. Did we solve the right side of the o-line? Maybe?

I'm not knocking our picks, I haven't seen many of them play in college so I don't know for sure. I'm just worried that everyone else did numerous times better than we did this year.

I think we could be in year 3 or 4 before we can truly grade this class.

Grade: Incomplete

Reaction score
I don’t rank the teams in the draft like all the pro analysts that give the average team a B+etc.. I think many teams have internal concerns just like us. I think we were in the C/C+ range until day 3 and we brought that back into a low B grade range. That’s better than 20 teams or so but worse than 11. I’m grading based on position fits and player grades vs where they were drafted overall. We also had the advantage along with just 3 other teams of working with two 1st rounders. That’s a huge advantage.

We missed at not picking a true OT and at least one WR in a deep WR class. There was several really solid prospects going into round 4-5 but we shot our load with Savage. “Little Missile” better be the Safety version of Alexander or we overspent. I hope I’m wrong though.
We just about missed at RB, but we got lucky when we passed on Dexter at 151 and he went all the way around the board and then some. That was a gift on a silver platter and him being there ear shot of #200 was ridiculous. Before that we were C+

B-

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a big fan of grades post draft. You never know. Gary was predicted all over the 1st round so, not like he was a 7th rounders that was picked at 12. All I know is looking at the draft picks, they definitely wanted faster players.

Fun to go back to look at grades.

Mahomes

GRADE: C-
Analysis: Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.

H

HardRightEdge

I think we could be in year 3 or 4 before we can truly grade this class.
You can't grade most classes for 3-4 years.
I don't buy it. Providing a guy is getting enough snaps to learn and ply his trade, you have a pretty good idea of his trajectory by the end of year 2. If he's stuck on the bench behind some stud that's another matter. Even so, the third year jump is not very common.

The fact of the matter is a team can't afford to wait for guys to break out in year 4 even if on rare occasions it happens. Then he's in his contract year, following which you have to pay him, with his value proposition plummetings, or he signs elsewhere.

When looking at any previous 4 drafts you have to see a large cluster of good-to-great players across those years to make this thing work.

This is expecially true of teams with QBs on mega-contracts, worse if there is also a second player on a mega-contract. Then there's little margin for error with poor or late developing draft picks.[/QUOTE]

H

HardRightEdge

Chad Reuter
Draft analyst

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I saw one grader who gave most teams an A. What's Reuter's grade distribution across teams? This is probably an average draft if one looks past fantasy prospects at the skill positions. That means there should be 8 A's, 8 B's, etc.

These guys need to quit with the curve grading and make average a "C". While all the children in Lake Woebegon are considered above averge we know it isn't true.

D

Deleted member 6794

what would it take to convince you? the fact that they did it at all should tell you they feared he wouldn't make it to 30 but gute answered the question directly, and with conviction, that he knew for a fact savage wouldn't be there at 30. i heard/saw colts mentioned, on radio/tv/twitter, as being in for him. colts ended up picking Rock Ya-Sin, a guy who played safety/corner at temple university, at 34. gute found someone willing to move back and paid their price. i just hope he turns out to be worth the two 4's it took to get him.

It's definitely possible that Savage wouldn't have been there at #30 but there's no way of knowing it for a fact.

If he turns out to be an injury liability or another Nick Perry, the claim is true

I highly doubt there was any scout within the organization that was convinced Gary can't play like it was the case with Campbell.

My concern here is we have to hit on Summers, Savage and Jenkins, and even if we hit on those picks we STILL in 2021 or 2022 may end up drafting #1 overall through no fault of Gute or the scouts.

You truly believe the Packers will end up being the worst team in the league with Rodgers starting??? How would that be possible without Gutekunst being to blame for it???

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw one grader who gave most teams an A. What's Reuter's grade distribution across teams? This is probably an average draft if one looks past fantasy prospects at the skill positions. That means there should be 8 A's, 8 B's, etc.

These guys need to quit with the curve grading and make average a "C". While all the children in Lake Woebegon are considered above averge we know it isn't true.
Interesting .

Going back to look, he did give a ton of A and B..

However bucs, saints, Texans and 2 more? Was lot of C's

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I really liked this draft, I think people were over reacting about Gary. Everyone who I was excited about got picked before us. Hopefully our need for a pass rusher was fulfilled with the Smith signings.

Members online

Latest posts