Overall Graft Grades, PF "experts"

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
People build up their expectations for months and then freak out when those expectations are not met.

I fully expected Hockenson or Bush to be there, and thus figured on one of them being the pick. When they were gone, I was pretty open minded about which direction they wanted to go.

I actually for once, saw the board fall pretty much as I expected, although I figured Haskins instead of Jones. My fear that the Packers would miss out on one of the Devin's, Oliver or Hochenson was hammered home early. Gary shocked me at first, but actually given what was left and after hearing Gutes analysis of it, I am now pretty pleased. In hind site, the one move that might have pleased me more was to try and move up to grab Oliver at #9 and maybe Gute tried, but the price was too steep.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually for once, saw the board fall pretty much as I expected, although I figured Haskins instead of Jones. My fear that the Packers would miss out on one of the Devin's, Oliver or Hochenson was hammered home early. Gary shocked me at first, but actually given what was left and after hearing Gutes analysis of it, I am now pretty pleased. In hind site, the one move that might have pleased me more was to try and move up to grab Oliver at #9 and maybe Gute tried, but the price was too steep.

Ya, given Gute's tendency to move up and down the board one has to assume he tried to optimize his position.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's very odd to me that so many people think that this pick was a reach based on "expert" opinions.

This is bizarre when you consider where many "experts" ranked him before the draft.

Lance Zierlein: 7th

Daniel Jeremiah: 10th

Dane Brugler: 13th

I am not telling anyone to feel differently about this pick based on these guys. You all might feel good or bad about these analysts... I don't know.

All I'm saying is that a number of reputable analysts had Gary right in the range of pick #12, if not a little earlier. And yet many people are labeling him a reach based on pre-draft projection. It's a confusing contradiction.

It's the same people that want Taylor/Ford bc they've heard of them, but don't realize they don't fit the scheme at all.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually watched Gary play in college. I liked him being a 1, I would've taken him at 30 no matter what. I'm not happy about him being taken at 12. I'm also not happy about moving up to 21 for a Safety from a POS big ten school. Sorry to all Maryland fans I offended with that comment, but being sorry doesn't make me wrong.

I for one dont give two ***** about the school but rather how the player played against top tier competition. IMHO half the guys out of dOSU Bama and FSU tend to be rated 5-10 picks too high due to the hype.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
grade so far? B- i guess?

gary: cautiously optimistic but shoulder is a concern.
savage: starter!
jenkins: good depth, may push to start, probably the #1 back at every o-line position.
sternberger: seems quick with good hands. 4 TE's?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
grade so far? B- i guess?

gary: cautiously optimistic but shoulder is a concern.
savage: starter!
jenkins: good depth, may push to start, probably the #1 back at every o-line position.
sternberger: seems quick with good hands. 4 TE's?

Jenkins is a day 1 starter at LG. Guarantee it.

Gary won't start, but he'll probably play over 50% of snaps. We'll rotate a lot there.

Savage is a day 1 starter.

Sternberger is depth this year, starter the next.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins is a day 1 starter at LG. Guarantee it.

Gary won't start, but he'll probably play over 50% of snaps. We'll rotate a lot there.

Savage is a day 1 starter.

Sternberger is depth this year, starter the next.
tough task to supplant an established nfl starter. especially one whose chemistry with bakhtiari is so important. maybe next year.

hey...i used the word "supplant."

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It took some time, but I'm good with the haul now. I was disappointed that we did not get Rodgers help in round 1, and we took a player very who was considered to be a project very early. But Jenkins was very good against SEC competition and actually has a first round pedigree per PFF, and Rodgers is going to love Sternberger. Taking an upside guy early isn't as much of a problem, because I think we have several now who can push for starter roles

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed with Janis above basically. Savage is going to start. Jenkins will likely start at some point during the season though maybe not right away. Gary will get a lot of reps early. Sternberger will start next year. I'm good with all of these picks if they're able to contribute as soon as I think they will. I'm still a little salty that we dumped both our 4th rounders with all of the safety options still there, but Gute realllllly wanted Savage, so hopefully that means he's going to be a beast.

I'll give it a 'B' at face value / on paper.

D

Deleted member 6794

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tough task to supplant an established nfl starter. especially one whose chemistry with bakhtiari is so important. maybe next year.

hey...i used the word "supplant."
True. But it depends on Lane Taylor. He didnt play well last season and if he doesnt rebound, he should be replaced immediately so that the new guy can start building chemistry.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True. But it depends on Lane Taylor. He didnt play well last season and if he doesnt rebound, he should be replaced immediately so that the new guy can start building chemistry.
I understand the concerns with Taylor, he wasn't particularly stellar last year. While I don't like using injuries as an excuse, I would give him somewhat of a pass last year due to injuries. I expect/hope for him to get back to playing pretty solid football in 2019.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...d-ruin-2018-season-for-packers-g-lane-taylor/

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced it was necessary to trade up for Savage either but if other teams considered him as their #1 rated safety it might have been a smart move.
what would it take to convince you? the fact that they did it at all should tell you they feared he wouldn't make it to 30 but gute answered the question directly, and with conviction, that he knew for a fact savage wouldn't be there at 30. i heard/saw colts mentioned, on radio/tv/twitter, as being in for him. colts ended up picking Rock Ya-Sin, a guy who played safety/corner at temple university, at 34. gute found someone willing to move back and paid their price. i just hope he turns out to be worth the two 4's it took to get him.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
what would it take to convince you? the fact that they did it at all should tell you they feared he wouldn't make it to 30 but gute answered the question directly, and with conviction, that he knew for a fact savage wouldn't be there at 30. i heard/saw colts mentioned, on radio/tv/twitter, as being in for him. colts ended up picking Rock Ya-Sin, a guy who played safety/corner at temple university, at 34. gute found someone willing to move back and paid their price. i just hope he turns out to be worth the two 4's it took to get him.

I also read/heard that Savage was at the top of the charts as to the number of "30 visits" that he had with teams. This tells me quite a bit, a lot of teams were interested in him enough to use one of those visits. How that translates into them actually wanting to pick him ahead of #30, is anyone's guess. I would speculate to say, the Packers war room has a list of their top guys and EVERYTHING informational wise about those players, top 30 visits included.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also read/heard that Savage was at the top of the charts as to the number of "30 visits" that he had with teams. This tells me quite a bit, a lot of teams were interested in him enough to use one of those visits. How that translates into them actually wanting to pick him ahead of #30, is anyone's guess. I would speculate to say, the Packers war room has a list of their top guys and EVERYTHING informational wise about those players, top 30 visits included.
yup. colts were sitting at 26 but when the Packers moved ahead of them they traded their pick for two 2nd round picks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We seem to be on course for a 5/10 draft. Meh...underwhelming and disappointing.

Open to guys surprising me, but ain't gotta hold my breath!

Rashan Gary - 4/10 - Talented but underwhelming performer.
Darnell Savage - 6/10 - Talented but short, underwhelming tackler against big WR/TE.

Could have been a lot better. I really hate the "talented.... but" players that our front office likes so much.
XPack - out of curiosity, who would you’d have picked in rounds 1 and 2, assuming no trades?