Overall Graft Grades, PF "experts"

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We seem to be on course for a 5/10 draft. Meh...underwhelming and disappointing.

Open to guys surprising me, but ain't gotta hold my breath!

Rashan Gary - 4/10 - Talented but underwhelming performer.
Darnell Savage - 6/10 - Talented but short, underwhelming tackler against big WR/TE.

Could have been a lot better. I really hate the "talented.... but" players that our front office likes so much.

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
After this lackluster performance . Why didn’t we trade 12 and 30 for a lower pick. We could have taken Gary at 4.

Smh.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dorsey has won so many SBs with different teams. At least he had the low draft picks when he took over. Oh, wait, he has won nothing?

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dorsey has won so many SBs with different teams. At least he had the low draft picks when he took over. Oh, wait, he has won nothing?

He was a scout on the 96 team for what it's worth and turned the Chiefs into a damn good team with his picks. Also made the freaking Cleveland Browns respectable. Don't be so black and white by just looking at Super Bowls, because you'll have a hard time finding 5 GM's in this league better than him.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually watched Gary play in college. I liked him being a 1, I would've taken him at 30 no matter what. I'm not happy about him being taken at 12. I'm also not happy about moving up to 21 for a Safety from a POS big ten school. Sorry to all Maryland fans I offended with that comment, but being sorry doesn't make me wrong.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Browns were on their way to being respectable and he was given a crap ton of high picks and money to work with. You'd be hard pressed to find 2 GM's in the league that didn't step into a better situation than Dorsey in Cleveland over the past 30 years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually watched Gary play in college. I liked him being a 1, I would've taken him at 30 no matter what. I'm not happy about him being taken at 12. I'm also not happy about moving up to 21 for a Safety from a POS big ten school. Sorry to all Maryland fans I offended with that comment, but being sorry doesn't make me wrong.
We didn't draft the MD Terps, we drafted Savage. You think he's a POS? why?

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Browns were on their way to being respectable and he was given a crap ton of high picks and money to work with. You'd be hard pressed to find 2 GM's in the league that didn't step into a better situation than Dorsey in Cleveland over the past 30 years.

The Browns obviously had talent but they've always had talent over the years with their top 10 picks. The challenge is changing the culture of a loser team and Dorsey has done that. Not an easy fix.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are we using the draft to address needs that were addressed in free agency, and not very wisely at that? Are these guys playing Fortnite in the war room?

D-

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to say it but D minus. Rashon Gary has all the makings of a typical Big 10 d lineman bust. Big ten d linemen bust at a 80% rate. He's too small for DT and can't rush the passer from the DE position. Should've kept Clay Matthews because he's way better than Gary. What a massive debacle. This draft feels like the meltdown vs the Seahawks.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even the clueless homers can't defend this draft so far. First Gute overspends on two average OLB/ DE players in free agency and now he doubles down on stupid by using pick 12 on a backup for those two guys. What? I would be happier if they spent pick 12 on a punter compared to Rashon Gary.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We didn't draft the MD Terps, we drafted Savage. You think he's a POS? why?
Scouting is all about checking to see what school a guy plays at. Its just that simple.

Gary - D - Just cant get excited about this pick. I can't shak my impression that he doesn't love football. Would have tried to trade back, taken Sweat, or an OT.

Savage - B+ - really like the player, and if Gute felt he would not have been there at 30, then so be it. He does seem a perfect compliment to Amos. And what a fantastic name for a player. Savage. Much better than 'Polite'. Our secondary should be a strength of this team in a year or two.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude some of you foil capped folks crack me up!

Gary is a wildcard pick which I feel no one can justify a grade less than a C or higher than a C

Savage I'm like Amish, dude is a B+ to borderline A- grade for me. He could be an instant starter, but will definitely see a lot of time as dude is just good enough for the next level. Lots of teams desired him on the back end...Gute made it happen.

Overall my gut gives our first day a B.

I expect the 2nd/3rd we'll see an offensive weapon and an OL selected. While the top shelf of bonafide 1st rounders wasn't there IMO for WRs....that second tier shelf is riddled with folks IMO. Excited to see what happens today.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd give it a solid B.

this is my grade also. Savage is a good pick, it just really sucks that we had to give up 2 fourths for him. He's a baller, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been there at 30.

Gary... I'll give Gute and Pettine the benefit of the doubt on this one. His measurables were off the charts. 4.58 40 and 38 inch vert. #1 player coming out of high school. They apparently had been targeting him for awhile and didnt seem like a panicky choice.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I give this draft a solid B thus far... not the players, but the draft experience overall. It's hitting all the standard notes.

Most fans are finding reasons to like the Packers picks.

Some fans are throwing temper tantrums that their guys weren't selected.

That seems like a solid, typical draft :tup:.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since I haven't heard anything about the Packers using their political influence for personal gain (which is the point of graft) I'd have to give them an 'A+'. :)

As for a draft grade, stating that draft grades are silly until at least three years after, I'd give the Packers a C-. Gary was a massive reach at a point in the draft they don't often get to pick. Savage was a good pick but that #12 pick outweighs the later pick.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As far as the picks, I feel pretty good about them, but a grade? I don't get the concept of immediate grades. Now is the time to grade the 2016 draft... not the 2019 draft.

I loved Rashan Gary on tape, and his athleticism is obviously another plus. I cooled on him when I heard about the sports agency stuff-- it rubbed me wrong. But am I really going to try to impugn his football character? What do I know about that, really? You have to trust the take of the FO that actually evaluated him on that front. I also mostly ignored edge players after the Smith boys were signed. However, they clearly weren't done adding to the position.

My cluster of preferred options were all gone: Ed Oliver, Jonah Williams, T.J. Hockenson, and Devin Bush. So once that happened, I was pretty open minded. Taking a premium athlete at a premium position whose traits are loud on tape is fine with me.

As to the 2nd pick, I had begun to wonder about Savage over the last week. I was pretty vocal that safety was the biggest need on the roster. And I was hearing consistent buzz that the NFL liked Savage a lot more than the media. I did not want them to trade up, but they kept their day 2 picks, so that's cool. Bottom line, it was a big need and Savage was clearly the top player on their board. If he fills that spot as a rookie and performs, it will vindicate the move.

I was more in favor of staying put and taking one of Thornhill, Savage, Gardner-Johnson, or Adderley. But they had one guy above the rest. Only time will tell if that was correct. I don't really spend a lot of time on defensive backs because they're annoying to try to watch on broadcast tape.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Michigan alum/Bears fan colleague:
"I hope Gary does for your Packers what he did for us at Michigan: nothing."

I don't like taking 'underachievers' at all. I really don't like taking an 'underachiever' at 12.

My fears over drafting at 12 appear to have been realized: we didn't get an elite player. Elite raw ability -- maybe. Will he ever show it on the field? To be determined.

This sort of outcome is why I really wanted to trade up into the top 10. I don't know whether they tried to do that and failed or simply didn't try. If nobody was willing to trade a top ten pick to the Packers at a reasonable price my next preference would have been to trade 12 and 30 for something like 15 or 16 and 20ish. Then take Sweat and Fant, or Savage if they were that high on him.

So far I'm giving this a gentlemen's C-. If the light goes on for Gary it could turn out much better, obviously.

Members online

Latest posts