On to the Vikings - noon week 6

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word is Monty and Jones will split the carries today so that should be a recipe for ineffectiveness. Just make a decision on who your main guy is (Jones) and be done with it.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
True enough, Cap, I'm just not sold on the quality of the opponents so far. Seattle's D, sure. Don't mean to be a nattering nabob, 4 wins are 4 wins

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yeah...yeah...yeah... I get it. Point is that we know Green Bay's defense is going to make Minnesota's offense look capable.

To win this thing, the offense is going to HAVE to function at a higher level than it has against marginal defenses. In 5 games, the Vikes have allowed 9 tds...the pack?...13. So...yeah... 23-21...either way...coin flip on who has 23.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The Packers are no great shakes on defense, but they can hold down a bad offense. And that's what Minnesota is-- now more than ever.

The Bengals, Seahawks, and Bears' offenses have averaged 13 points against Green Bay. Again, I'm not trying to say that the defense is great. They clearly still struggle with good offenses. But it's far from a given that a unit like Minnesota's will look good against them.

D

Deleted member 6794

Word is Monty and Jones will split the carries today so that should be a recipe for ineffectiveness. Just make a decision on who your main guy is (Jones) and be done with it.

I'm absolutely fine with McCarthy entering the game planning on splitting the carries between Montgomery and Jones as long as he rides the hot hand in case one of them puts up impressive numbers. In addition both running backs offer some different qualities making it tougher for the defense to scheme properly.

True enough, Cap, I'm just not sold on the quality of the opponents so far. Seattle's D, sure. Don't mean to be a nattering nabob, 4 wins are 4 wins

The Bengals defense is currently ranked second in the league in points allowed. I'm not worried about the Packers offense at all especially once Bakhtiari is able to play again.

H

HardRightEdge

While it's old news from earlier in the week, Burnett is out. This is not a small thing as he may be the only guy on the field who understands what all 11 are supposed to be doing on each defensive call. They don't hand out game balls for nothing, and the glue he provides is something. I expect we'll see quite a bit of Jones in those 3 safety/hybrid sets.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, it's not like cracked ribs are miraculously 100% after a couple of weeks. This is a particular issue with a guy who runs high as Montgomery does which may be how they got cracked in the first place.

So, it's a "sure coach, I feel good, I can play" situation. What tends to be forgotten in the medical equation is that "how does it feel, do you think you can play?" is an essential element in this inexact science, so the player has a say in the matter. The MDs have probably ascertained he does not risk puncturing a lung with adequate body armor.

So, based on these reports, I'd expect Montgomery to start. They don't expect to give him the full boat of snaps as in the early games where he led the league in RB snap % because, obviously, he's not 100%. He could cruise along for awhile without incident if he looks right. Or he could be gone after the first series. If he changes his running style to protect the ribs, consciously or unconsciously, he won't be effective and plan B would be in order. If he takes a hit and gets a shot of pain, that would shut him down for the day.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The Bengals, Seahawks, and Bears' offenses have averaged 13 points against Green Bay. Again, I'm not trying to say that the defense is great. They clearly still struggle with good offenses. But it's far from a given that a unit like Minnesota's will look good against them.

I'll give you that, but let's face it, Cincy, Chitcago and Seattle's offenses had an awful lot to do with that 13 pt average as well...frankly, I'd still put Minnesota's offense above those three. They stank (stink? stunk?) worse than Minnesota in my worthless opinion.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'll give you that, but let's face it, Cincy, Chitcago and Seattle's offenses had an awful lot to do with that 13 pt average as well...frankly, I'd still put Minnesota's offense above those three. They stank (stink? stunk?) worse than Minnesota in my worthless opinion.

I don't believe the Vikings offense is any better than the ones of the teams you mentioned with Keenum starting and Cook done for the season though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers inactives:
CB House
CB King
S Burnett
LB Brooks
LB Thomas
OL Pankey
DL Adams

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
disappointed to see King on the inactives list. good thing the minn #1 wr is out. kind of a wash there. i expect another nail bitter. hope i'm wrong...as long as it's a Packers win.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I am pretty certain that I saw that OL guy named "John" sitting in the crowd at game start. I think the Packers found the biggest guy in the stands, signed him and he suited up on the spot.

Staff online

Latest posts