On to the Vikings - noon week 6

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Bradford can throw a really a nice ball, but as you said, he's never healthy. Bridgewater never really took a big step forward after showing some promise and then a devastating injury took him out and is keeping him out. Who knows of that kid will ever be the same or play again. but no way are Diggs and Thielen just mediocre. I wouldn't trade them for our starters, but I also probably wouldn't be trading them if they were our starters either.
Those guys are absolutely better than mediocre. Especially as far as fantasy football goes. I would know. ;)

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I havn't watched a bunch of vikings games but it seems every time I do I see Keenum bombing long passes out to Diggs. I think the biggest thing we need we need to watch for is getting beat out on those long pass plays cause I don't they stand a chance without some really long plays.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I havn't watched a bunch of vikings games but it seems every time I do I see Keenum bombing long passes out to Diggs. I think the biggest thing we need we need to watch for is getting beat out on those long pass plays cause I don't they stand a chance without some really long plays.
Then we better hope Randall or Rollins aren't covering Diggs.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Vikings have the 2nd best roster in the division, but they're too banged up to be a threat on offense. A backfield of Keenum and Murray/McKinnon doesn't scare me. Diggs does, but he's limited right now with a groin issue.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bradford's been hurt a lot but that doesn't take away from how effective he is when he is healthy. he's far from mediocre. oh...and wins/losses isn't a qb stat.

I guess it depends if you are qbr or quarterback rating guys but base on qbr he is is incredibly mediocre. The past two seasons he is 17th and 31st. He is higher on quarterback rating because his completion percentage was incredibly high due to his short passing.

I laid out a list of 10 plus guys I would take before him. If you are not in the top ten by definition you are mediocre for a starting qb

D

Deleted member 6794

bradford's been hurt a lot but that doesn't take away from how effective he is when he is healthy. he's far from mediocre. oh...and wins/losses isn't a qb stat.

Bradford has performed at a higher level since coming to Minnesota mostly based on the team predominantly having him throw short high percentage passes. There's absolutely no reason to consider him a top 10 quarterback in the league making him, as bigbubbatd pointed out, a mediocre starting QB in a league with 32 teams.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, that's not what mediocre means.

For example, let's say all 32 QB's are good on our rating scale. That would mean none of them are mediocre.

Mediocre is a rating/standard based on quality, not overall number. If you want to say he's in the bottom half, call him below average. Top half is above average.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, that's not what mediocre means.

For example, let's say all 32 QB's are good on our rating scale. That would mean none of them are mediocre.

Mediocre is a rating/standard based on quality, not overall number. If you want to say he's in the bottom half, call him below average. Top half is above average.

Mediocre synonyms include average, ordinary and middle of the road. Definition is - of moderate or ordinary quality. so yes this is what mediocre means and compared to starting qbs in the NFL they both are definitely that. They are average or ordinary compared to the subset of qbs we are looking at. if you want to take all nfl qbs including backs then sure they jump up but that isn't how stuff like this is even looked at.

Something has to be used to rank guys as good or not. Something that looks at quality.

Fine we can disagree on semantics and just say Bradford is an average starting qb in the NFL. Bridgewater is also at best an average qb. No use of mediocre

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Semantics....gotta love them. "Mediocre, average, below average....." Doesn't really matter to me, on any given Sunday Dom Capers and the Packers defense has to prepare themselves to stop the other team's QB. There really hasn't been many games in recent memory where I have thought before the game, "oh, this QB isn't good, we got this." Seems like our defense can get lit up by just about any QB or they can have one of those days where they surprise us and everything is clicking and they shut him down. One thing I am having a hard time recalling, when was the last time the Packers shut down a top QB? Not saying they haven't recently, just can't remember who and when.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Semantics....gotta love them. "Mediocre, average, below average....." Doesn't really matter to me, on any given Sunday Dom Capers and the Packers defense has to prepare themselves to stop the other team's QB. There really hasn't been many games in recent memory where I have thought before the game, "oh, this QB isn't good, we got this." Seems like our defense can get lit up by just about any QB or they can have one of those days where they surprise us and everything is clicking and they shut him down. One thing I am having a hard time recalling, when was the last time the Packers shut down a top QB? Not saying they haven't recently, just can't remember who and when.

The Packers have given up yardage to a lot of qbs. No doubt about it! I don't think anyone should feel confident and that isn't what the discussion had been about. The Vikings are a team that has enough on offense to beat us for sure. However it is an offense the defense should be able to hold to 20 or so. Is that enough to win.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Diggs especially.
Big time. Dude burned us week 2 last year, and we might be without King and Morgan.

Honestly, I think we should spank these guys. I truly believe this is a super bowl team, and if that’s really the case, we shouldn’t let Case Keenum put numbers against us.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bradford and Diggs ruled out. Huge.

Guard nick Easton also out. Their oline has been better this year but showed cracks last week until they went to the short passing game. We are getting lucky to play the vikings without diggs, Bradford and easton but now it is time to take advantage. Losing king, Burnett, and others may offset it a bit though

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess it depends if you are qbr or quarterback rating guys but base on qbr he is is incredibly mediocre. The past two seasons he is 17th and 31st. He is higher on quarterback rating because his completion percentage was incredibly high due to his short passing.

I laid out a list of 10 plus guys I would take before him. If you are not in the top ten by definition you are mediocre for a starting qb

i didn't say he was elite or top 10. all i said was, when he's healthy he is far from mediocre. last year he was healthy and this is how he performed:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

his ratings for lower percentage passes is great. it's all about his health...which has been precarious at best.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i didn't say he was elite or top 10. all i said was, when he's healthy he is far from mediocre. last year he was healthy and this is how he performed:

his ratings for lower percentage passes is great. it's all about his health...which has been precarious at best.

We have debated this enough. You think he is better than I do. Those stats are compelling but I don't think his career body of work, the eye test when watching him, other metrics than PFF (which have ranked him a ton earlier) etc Warrenton him being considered more than league average which is synonymous to mediocre to me. You disagree and that is cool. All I know is I wouldn't be excited if Bradford was the qb of the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers rule out Morgan Burnett and Joe Thomas, list Ahmad Brooks and Kevin King as doubtful for Sunday's game at Minnesota. David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Davon House and Ty Montgomery are questionable for week 6.

D

Deleted member 6794

Seems like our defense can get lit up by just about any QB or they can have one of those days where they surprise us and everything is clicking and they shut him down. One thing I am having a hard time recalling, when was the last time the Packers shut down a top QB? Not saying they haven't recently, just can't remember who and when.

The Packers defense has actually performed pretty well against below average quarterbacks during Capers' tenure. The problem being that it hasn't been able to at least hold elite offense to their average score.

Bradford most likely had his best season over his career with the Vikings last season. I still don't consider him a top 10 quarterback by any means though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers defense has actually performed pretty well against below average quarterbacks during Capers' tenure. The problem being that it hasn't been able to at least hold elite offense to their average score.
I would love to see the stats on that. I'm not doubting you, but I remember quite a few so so QB's having great days against the Packers. A Bear backup (McCown?), Bortells, Kaepernick, Bradford when he was a Ram, Josh Freeman, Gabbert, Skelton, Robert Griffin even lit up the Packers for 320 yards and 3 TD's in 2013.

Anyway, IMO it really doesn't matter if you want to call to a QB we face "great, Average or below average", our defense hasn't been very reliable in a long time at consistently shutting down opposing QB's, good or bad.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Full injury report

D

Deleted member 6794

I would love to see the stats on that. I'm not doubting you, but I remember quite a few so so QB's having great days against the Packers. A Bear backup (McCown?), Bortells, Kaepernick, Bradford when he was a Ram, Josh Freeman, Gabbert, Skelton, Robert Griffin even lit up the Packers for 320 yards and 3 TD's in 2013.

As I've posted in the Fire Capers thread this offseason the Packers have allowed an average of 27.5 points in 44 games against teams that finished the season within the top 10 in scoring over DC's tenure while holding all other opponents to 18.0.

As a reference in 2016 the top 10 scoring offenses averaged 27.3 points per game while teams ranked below put up 20.8.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As I've posted in the Fire Capers thread this offseason the Packers have allowed an average of 27.5 points in 44 games against teams that finished the season within the top 10 in scoring over DC's tenure while holding all other opponents to 18.0.

As a reference in 2016 the top 10 scoring offenses averaged 27.3 points per game while teams ranked below put up 20.8.

right, but that really doesn't say how they fared against each individual QB. Again, just a gut feeling from memory, the Packers defense has had some bad games, even against average to below average QB's. I think if you ask Colin K....he may feel that he owes Capers and the Packers a chunk of the big paycheck he got.

Members online

Latest posts