OLB Situation / Interesting Waiver wire prospects

Reaction score
He's a 3rd grade bully that acts nice when the teachers (the media) are nearby. He's the Eddie Haskell of the NFL. I'd rather suck on a rock than experiment that.
Yeah, I admit I wasn’t aware about his recent phychotic meltdown, so I fully agree we don’t need that in any fashion.
That said.. The main point is that I think we need better depth behind Taylor n Co. I’d like to see us make a veteran acquisition to plug this like we did with Jahri Evans. I’m not confident in our OL insurance policy. Time to get an umbrella policy to back it up.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a passage in the following link that explains how Madison's signing bonus (as a Reserve/Did Not Report player) could be recouped if the team so chooses, 60% by opening day and the rest as the season progressed if he did not report. Also, the fines are quite steep if the Packers chose to levy them.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...l-roster-designations-injured-reserve-pup-nfi

Gutekunst said, "We'll give him some time to deal with that." That tells me they're not going to fine the guy and may not have initiated the signing bonus clawback schedule. What I don't know is if they have not chosen clawback now what recourse they would have later if he never shows up.

All in all, it is a minor footnote to the overall cap pictures.

While they could recoup the money, depending on the situation I think it would not be worth the potential bad press. If he truly is recovering mentally from the suicide of a college team mate as some have suggested it might look really bad if the Packers fought him over half a million bucks and started levying fines. And if they truly want to keep him as an option later on it could go a long way in cementing some loyalty (I hate that word when used in sports) from him.

Al l in all I say let him deal with his problems and go from there.

H

HardRightEdge

While they could recoup the money, depending on the situation I think it would not be worth the potential bad press. If he truly is recovering mentally from the suicide of a college team mate as some have suggested it might look really bad if the Packers fought him over half a million bucks and started levying fines. And if they truly want to keep him as an option later on it could go a long way in cementing some loyalty (I hate that word when used in sports) from him.

Probably.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

File notice quietly with the league to recoup the SB but tell Cole if he is in camp next year, we'll forgive and forget. If not back by end of camp, then we want some back.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if they're really behind him and supportive like they've said they were, they aren't even thinking of this going after any money right now. I doubt the fines will ever be an issue, but if he never comes back to football I can see part of that SB coming back after he's done going thru whatever he's going thru.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Herb Waters has been released and Jake Kumerow placed on IR. No word yet on the corresponding roster moves. Hopefully one of the moves is a 5th OLB, e.g. John Simon.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Packers are signing Korey Toomer-- more ILB help.

Toomer came out of nowhere to make the Chargers roster in 2016 and was forced into a lot of action due to injuries at the position. He played way better than anyone could have expected. 2016 was my last as a Charger fan (their last in San Diego), so I saw most of his games. He's a better player than Antonio Morrison, in my opinion.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Herb Waters has been released and Jake Kumerow placed on IR. No word yet on the corresponding roster moves. Hopefully one of the moves is a 5th OLB, e.g. John Simon.
I kinda expected the Kumerow thing. Waters will take one of the PS empty slots I figure. One or two more roster tweaks due yet. Depends on team health Friday if anyone brought back like Ripkowski or Odom

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I kinda expected the Kumerow thing. Waters will take one of the PS empty slots I figure. One or two more roster tweaks due yet. Depends on team health Friday if anyone brought back like Ripkowski or Odom

You could be right, and I wondered about bringing Rip back, but one thing that gives me pause was a comment Gute made. It was essentially “how much does a FB really play any more?” Rather than say, we’d have loved to keep him but it was a numbers game, he indicted the position. Makes me wonder if he’s just not in favor of carrying a true FB. But as with all of this press conference interpretation, it could mean nothing.

Maybe they would prefer Odom based on familiarity, but I think they can do better.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Probably Waters makes it back to the PS, still not sure what they see in this guy, maybe too many similarities to Sam Shield to want to let go?

Kumerow's shoulder being injured sucks for him, probably wasn't even necessary for him to flip into the endzone like he did when it was injured. Definitely like the guy, but 6 WR's + Davis is enough.

Time to sign Simon.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Waters actually looked pretty decent out there if you'd watch him. Even on the completions against him, the coverage was usually pretty tight. There are definite skills there to work with as a developmental guy, which is what he is.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Probably Waters makes it back to the PS, still not sure what they see in this guy, maybe too many similarities to Sam Shield to want to let go?

Kumerow's shoulder being injured sucks for him, probably wasn't even necessary for him to flip into the endzone like he did when it was injured. Definitely like the guy, but 6 WR's + Davis is enough.

Time to sign Simon.

Might be a blessing in disguise for Kumerow. It's possible they only kept him because they knew they could put him on IR and sign someone else.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Waters actually looked pretty decent out there if you'd watch him. Even on the completions against him, the coverage was usually pretty tight. There are definite skills there to work with as a developmental guy, which is what he is.
I still haven't watched the KC game, have it recorded so might peak at it tonight. I guess if Waters is all that, he won't even make it to the Packers PS for the 3rd time. ;)

Gute definitely shed some of last years roster, with over half being gone.

LB Vince Biegel (cut)
LB Ahmad Brooks (not re-signed)
CB Donatello Brown (cut)
S Morgan Burnett (not re-signed)
TE Emanuel Byrd (cut)
QB Joe Callahan (cut)
WR Michael Clark (retired)
C Dillon Day (cut)
DL Quinton Dial (not re-signed)
G Jahri Evans (not re-signed)
S Marwin Evans (cut)
LS Brett Goode (not re-signed)
CB Josh Hawkins (cut)
QB Brett Hundley (traded)
WR Jeff Janis (not re-signed)
OT Ulrick John (cut)
FB Joe Kerridge (cut, practice squad)
RB Devante Mays (cut)
WR Jordy Nelson (cut)
OLB Chris Odom (cut)
OL Adam Pankey (cut, practice squad)
CB Lenzy Pipkins (traded)
CB Damarious Randall (traded)
FB Aaron Ripkowski (cut)
TE Richard Rodgers (not re-signed)
LB Joe Thomas (not re-signed)
P Justin Vogel (cut)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Might be a blessing in disguise for Kumerow. It's possible they only kept him because they knew they could put him on IR and sign someone else.
I think you are right and I said that last month about "wouldn't be a bad thing to happen to one of the 3 rookie WR's". JK was probably more ready to play than any of those 3 though, but at least it kept him with the Packers. I also don't think we will hear from Kumerow and his agent saying they want an injury settlement and a release, he knows he has a legit shot at playing with the Packers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think you are right and I said that last month about "wouldn't be a bad thing to happen to one of the 3 rookie WR's". JK was probably more ready to play than any of those 3 though, but at least it kept him with the Packers. I also don't think we will hear from Kumerow and his agent saying they want an injury settlement and a release, he knows he has a legit shot at playing with the Packers.

Perhaps even this year. Should they have some bad injury luck at receiver, he’s a nice one to have in your back pocket for the 2nd half of the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Perhaps even this year. Should they have some bad injury luck at receiver, he’s a nice one to have in your back pocket for the 2nd half of the season.
Yup and probably a better guy to have in reserve than one of the 3 rookies. I expect 1-2 of those guys will be on the game day inactive list, until nagging injuries makes that just a list of the walking wounded. But they can keep practicing and refining their skills. I actually liked how the WR position turned out, would have been nice to have found a PR to replace Davis and not have had to keep him, but maybe Davis proves just why he was kept around and pitches in with some nice punt returns and solid gunner play again.

Fingers crossed that one of the 3 rookie WR's is a starter withing the next year or two.

Now go sign Simon! (I may have to switch my tag sign to this)

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Packers have signed LB Korey toomer and placed Kumerow on IR released Herb Waters

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yup and probably a better guy to have in reserve than one of the 3 rookies. I expect 1-2 of those guys will be on the game day inactive list, until nagging injuries makes that just a list of the walking wounded. But they can keep practicing and refining their skills. I actually liked how the WR position turned out, would have been nice to have found a PR to replace Davis and not have had to keep him, but maybe Davis proves just why he was kept around and pitches in with some nice punt returns and solid gunner play again.

Fingers crossed that one of the 3 rookie WR's is a starter withing the next year or two.

Now go sign Simon! (I may have to switch my tag sign to this)

I really want them to land Simon. I’m guessing that if they only add one more player, it will be a running back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I really want them to land Simon. I’m guessing that if they only add one more player, it will be a running back.
With one roster spot now open, a RB may be the obvious move, but I wouldn't rule out shedding a TE or Crawford to sign Simon. Keep an eye on Jeremiah Attaochu as well.

Something definitely has to be done before now and Sunday at the RB position. I just don't see being able to get through 1 yet alone 2 games with Williams and Monty as your only RB's. I definitely don't want Cobb back there.

H

HardRightEdge

I little update on the salary cap situation explored in post #61 above:

Since yesterday, the NFLPA cap space figure for the Packers has gone up $460,000, from $10,652,977 to $11,112,977.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With one roster spot now open, a RB may be the obvious move, but I wouldn't rule out shedding a TE or Crawford to sign Simon. Keep an eye on Jeremiah Attaochu as well.

Something definitely has to be done before now and Sunday at the RB position. I just don't see being able to get through 1 yet alone 2 games with Williams and Monty as your only RB's. I definitely don't want Cobb back there.

Attaochu doesn’t have it. He’s super explosive off the line but that’s his only tool. Once the league had him scouted, it was over.

Gutekunst said that between the roster and practice squad, they have 6 outside linebackers, which means that he views either Crawford or Martini as at least part time OLB’s.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
RB Darius Jackson signed from Dallas’ practice squad. Presumably just a place holder until Jones is back, barring another injury and/or him really showing out.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jackson is a freaky athlete. 6’ 220 lbs, ran a 4.40, jumped a 41” and 11’1” respectable. Sub 6.9 3C.

Was very efficient on ~220 touches his last year at EMU.

Looks like he was fairly productive the first two weeks of preseason and then tailed off. The Cowboys line has been injured and underperforming during camp as a result and that could have been a factor.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Attaochu doesn’t have it. He’s super explosive off the line but that’s his only tool. Once the league had him scouted, it was over.

Gutekunst said that between the roster and practice squad, they have 6 outside linebackers, which means that he views either Crawford or Martini as at least part time OLB’s.

Ugh.. Really wish they would have added Simon. I'm not comfortable with our depth.

Members online

Latest posts