OLB Situation / Interesting Waiver wire prospects

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I see a lot of John Simon echo chamber stuff in a "John Simon Packers" search. What makes you think the Packers are interested? They signed Toomer instead.

I'm under the impression that Toomer is viewed as an ILB and was added for depth and experience to that position. Currently, the OLB group has 4 guys Matthews, Perry, Gilbert and Fackrell. I don't think that is a very strong group at a very important position and unless the Packers make a trade, Simon seems to be the best FA OLB option currently out there to strengthen it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm under the impression that Toomer is viewed as an ILB and was added for depth and experience to that position. Currently, the OLB group has 4 guys Matthews, Perry, Gilbert and Fackrell. I don't think that is a very strong group at a very important position and unless the Packers make a trade, Simon seems to be the best FA OLB option currently out there to strengthen it.

Yeah, but a handful of other people on this board agree with you, so... echo chamber... or something.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, but a handful of other people on this board agree with you, so... echo chamber... or something.
The echo chamber I was referring to was the one revealed by a google search. As for this board, 662 Khalil Mack posts cannot possibly be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The echo chamber I was referring to was the one revealed by a google search. As for this board, 662 Kalil Mack posts cannot possibly be wrong.

come on man, if we only talked about "what has happened in Green Bay".....this place would possibly rival watching paint dry. :giggle: and if that is the case.....reopen the Dom Capers thread!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hey you are the one who started this whole nonsense on the Packers should sign Simon, the rest of us are just being your Cheerleaders!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think anyone is saying they are, but rather they should be. We have two OLBs that are consistently injured and could use the depth. He was pretty good for the Colts last year and just doesn't fit their 4-3. Unless he's asking a lot, I think he'd be worth it.
"When they sign John Simon" was an expression of confidence if not certainty, right there in the post I responded to.

Yeah, yeah, it was a rhetorical expression. But it was pokerbrat. How could I pass that up? ;)

H

HardRightEdge

come on man, if we only talked about "what has happened in Green Bay".....this place would be possibly rival watching paint dry. :giggle: and if that is the case.....reopen the Dom Capers thread!
Worry not. Come Sunday starting around 7:30 PM CDT there will be plenty to be said about what has happened, and then the following week, and the one after that, and the one after that....

There will be plenty of past as prologue to what will happen as we go along.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Worry not. Come Sunday starting around 7:30 PM CDT there will be plenty to be said about what has happened, and then the following week, and the one after that, and the one after that....

There will be plenty of past as prologue to what will happen as we go along.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or we're waiting until after week 1.

Vested vet on the roster after week 1? Your salary for the year is covered.

Sign a low-tier backup guy for depth? Sign him week 2 and no vested vet risk.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this team just had way too many holes Ted had failed to address and his stubbornness of sticking to just draft and develop finally blew up on his face Gute did the best he could with what he had, but this team is in a bit of rebuild mode and have to wait till next year's for Gute to address some missing parts. OLB is the weakest it's been in a long time, RB depth is pretty weak and Jones missing first 2 weeks doesn't help. After OL starters the back ups are mediocre. Receivers are very young and unproven

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this team just had way too many holes Ted had failed to address and his stubbornness of sticking to just draft and develop finally blew up on his face Gute did the best he could with what he had, but this team is in a bit of rebuild mode and have to wait till next year's for Gute to address some missing parts. OLB is the weakest it's been in a long time, RB depth is pretty weak and Jones missing first 2 weeks doesn't help. After OL starters the back ups are mediocre. Receivers are very young and unproven

Gute has done a grander job than Ted, but that's not to give him a free pass. The OLB situation has been obvious for some time and it's actually very very lucky for us Gilbert is coming into form. Gute should have done more to add at least some good second stringers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Gute has done a grander job than Ted, but that's not to give him a free pass. The OLB situation has been obvious for some time and it's actually very very lucky for us Gilbert is coming into form. Gute should have done more to add at least some good second stringers.

On paper, it appears that Gute has done a grander job than Ted, but we will see if that is the case when they start playing football for real and over the course of his tenure, 7 months is not much of a sample size.

I agree with you though that ignoring the OLB and the importance of having quality depth at it, has continued in the Gute administration. I am also scratching my head as to why Gute has continued TT's philosophy of backing up Rodgers with guys who just don't seem quite ready to play.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree completely. I think he could've definitely done a better job at olb. He may have been banking on Mack? Also wasn't a fan of him using draft picks on a LS and Punter I think those could've been picked up better after the draft Plus last year's punter wasn't terrible. This could've either been traded for a lower pick or taken a chance on an OLB

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree completely. I think he could've definitely done a better job at olb. He may have been banking on Mack? Also wasn't a fan of him using draft picks on a LS and Punter I think those could've been picked up better after the draft Plus last year's punter wasn't terrible. This could've either been traded for a lower pick or taken a chance on an OLB

Mack wasn't in anyones plans to bank on until recently. Gute built the team as he saw fit, but I too am a bit nervous as to what he has decided on with OLB's to start the season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're finally in a defense that doesn't rely on the OLB's solely to make plays. The Dline is going to be allowed to do more than take on blockers. The ILB's are going to be more attacking. Corner blitzes etc. The only issue I have with OLB, is our top 2 have had injury issues, but you can only do so much. Weak in draft this year, much stronger next year it appears. Not alot of affordable and effective FA's there, and the only way mack really would have worked was to get rid of matthews assuming they wanted him.

Considering the cost, I have zero issues with not getting Mack. None at all. It's no as if this offense hasn't faced good pass rushers before. If healthy, I like our chances, a lot.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s going to take Gute more than 1 offseason to retool. Goes back directly to TT’s failed draft and develope philosophy, just too many missed draft picks that have created holes to overcome in 1 offseason.

Greg Poplawski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before selling the farm to soothe all of us armchair coaches/gm’s, lets see what Coach Pettine has in store. CM3 mentioned that they’ve only shown about 5% of the scheme. The link that we all think is thin or weak are our OLB’s. We haven’t seen all the working pieces on the field yet, and the guys on our defense are ready to let it all loose. Here’s hoping we have a bunch of unscouted looks that work to feature our players strengths with the 95% of the scheme we haven’t seen yet. If not, Gutes going to be busy lining up tryouts.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it takes years to fully implement a defense, so i'm not expecting them to be great right away.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
it takes years to fully implement a defense, so i'm not expecting them to be great right away.

Evidently, and this could be sunshine blown up our backsides to some extent or another, but evidently Pettine’s defense is supposed to be exceptionally adaptable in terms of complexity. He and others (did you read the Jim Leonard interview?) have said that he can get a simple version of it completely installed and then just build on it with more complicated concepts as players are ready to handle it.

Members online

Latest posts