Assessing Needs for the Draft

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Need should never be the driver in deciding who to draft, but it has to be a consideration. I think most often, teams tend to draft the best player at any of their positions of perceived need. The teams that get too focused on one or two in particular tend to get into trouble.

That said, I think it might provide clarity to try and rank the perceived needs on the Packers. What areas of the roster need the most help and why. Here they are, as I see them, and in no particular order:

QB: Rodgers is still at the top of his game, Kizer has been added, Hundley and Callahan are still around.

RB: Jones showed a lot of promise as a rookie and Williams looked capable of playing a certain role. Montgomery has enough versatility to wear multiple hats as called upon.

WR: Adams is locked in, Cobb has one more season left, and the other outside position is currently up for grabs between Allison, Clark, and Yancey.

TE: Graham has solidifies the primary pass catching role, at least for the short term. Kendricks is OK as a backup.

OT: Bakhtiari is elite, Bulaga is still good when healthy but nearing the end, Spriggs has not shown the needed development, and Murphy seemed somewhat capable last season.

C/G: Taylor is a strong player, Linsley is a good starter, McCray looked capable enough to get by, Patrick is a decent backup, Amichia did very little as a rookie but remains on the roster.

DL: Clark and Daniels are very good starters. Lowry proved to be solid as the 3rd DL and now has Wilkerson to challenge for that role. Adams is unproven behind them.

Edge: Matthews and Perry are solid starters but oft injured, Biegel only had enough healthy time on the field to flash here and there as a rookie, Gilbert looked like he might deserve one of the last spots on the roster, Fackrell should probably be released. Chris Odom is still a Packer.

LB: Martinez is a good starter; depending on how one sees Jones, Jake Ryan is the only other ILB on the roster that's worth mentioning.

CB: King is slotted into one starting role, Williams is likely the other outside corner, and behind them there are several unproven young guys (Pipkins, Hawkins, Brown, Goodson, Rollins, etc.).

S: Clinton-Dix remains a starter but it's unclear which version will show up, depending on how one views Jones, Brice is a starter there too. Personally I think Jones will be more of a safety than linebacker. Evans is certainly roster worthy and Whitehead may be as well.

ST: Crosby is still good to go and Vogel is also set. Zach Triner was signed in January for the LS position and is an unknown.

So there's the status quo by position. How do you stack them up and how, in an ideal situation, would you address them in the draft (thinking less of particular prospects and more of level of investment).

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"LB: Martinez is a good starter; depending on how one sees Jones, Jake Ryan is the only other ILB on the roster that's worth mentioning."

This is why I think ILB should be listed higher than a lot of people list it. We have starters, but we could have better starters and definitely need depth. We almost have better depth at OLB, although unproven depth.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense

Safety (1)
I would like last year take a safety higher than expected possibly even in the first round if one fell. But definitely in the first 4 rounds. This would be to like last year plan for the departure of Dix in free agency.
Cornerback (3)
I'd take at least 2 and hopefully 3 corners in this draft. 1 within first 3 rounds. 1 in 4th or 5th and 1 in the 6th or 7th
Linebacker (1)
I'd be willing to take one as high as the first if the right one fell. I think Jake Ryan needs to be a back up. I'd take one in first 4 rounds and I'd be ok with taking another later on.
Edge (1)
I'd take one high for sure first 3 rounds. And then hopefully another later on but for sure one high
Dl (1?)
Here I would look for specific guys I loved to fall I'd be willing to take one as high as that first pick of the 4th round

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is how I would stack them up:
  1. CB: I currently only see two starters and we need three. And even those two are respectively too young and old to be totally reliable. A player to man the slot is most pressing at the moment.
  2. ILB: As I am guessing that Jones will slide to SS, I see a big hole next to Martinez.
  3. WR: The Packers are one season away from having no proven receivers on the roster outside of Adams. The time is now to find a guy who can contribute right away and start in 2019.
  4. Edge: Matthews and Perry are still capable starters but they need to be spelled more often. I actually really liked Biegel coming out and think he can be a rotational option. But they still need more rotational depth and a guy to replace Matthews after this season.
  5. G: I do think that McCray could be something at RG, but if they're going to go that route they need some strong depth behind him and Taylor because he's not a sure thing.
  6. OT: I think Spriggs and Murphy give the Packers enough to get by until Bulaga is healthy; they could spent a middle round pick on more depth and another developmental option.
  7. TE: Graham has taken care of the immediate need so I would target a developmental option in the middle rounds.
  8. RB: This isn't a big need, but it would be nice to add a good talent from this rich class in the later rounds.
  9. S: Because my guess is that Jones slides over to a true SS spot, I think this position has its starters accounted for with some solid depth.
  10. LS: If there is a really good LS in this class, I would consider drafting him in the 7th just to lock up the spot.
  11. DL: Extremely late round or UDFA consideration to fill out the position for TC.
  12. C: I think this position is set with Linsley locked up and Patrick a sufficient backup.
  13. QB: Extremely late round or UDFA consideration for a camp arm.
  14. P: N/A
  15. K: N/A
At #14, I would like to draft the BPA that fits one of the first 6 spots on this list. CB, ILB, and Edge feature the prospects that I consider most likely to represent BPA.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At #14, I would like to draft the BPA that fits one of the first 6 spots on this list. CB, ILB, and Edge feature the prospects that I consider most likely to represent BPA.
I like your ranking and I understand it. My ranking of need would be

1. CB: Veteran in Williams helps but others are too young, inexperience, or just provides depth. Need someone who can contribute right away along side King and Williams.
  2. Edge: Matthews and Perry are starters but are always injured. Biegel has yet to show if he belongs. I have a feeling Biegel may just keep on catching that injury bug. Reggie Gilbert looked better than Frackell but only got to play in the last few games, he should get the nod to get more reps.
  3. G/OT: If Baktiahri get's injured we are doomed. Our depth behind our starters... havent shown what they were drafted to do.. AHEM *SPRIGS/Murph* I see McCray starting RG. Props to McCray to stepping up and playing Tackle. Shows his athleticism and feet. Patrick will take the backup positions behind Center and Guard. I think they should take a tackle in 3-5 round. Would like to have a Baktihari 2.0
  4. ILB: Martinez is a solid mike linebacker. Jake Ryan would be a backup on any other team TBH.. Ahmad Thomas? A safety turn linebacker. Wait to see what he does in camp. Still need that athletic fast rangy will linebacker we all have been asking for. Draft 1st rounders Roquan Smith/ 2-5 rounders like Malik Jefferson, Fred Warner, Shaquel Griffin
  5. RB: RB IMO is a need. None are proven RBs. One just started playing RB, the other two are developing. Durability a concern for all of them. I forgot which game, but all our RBs were injured and we had to go with Cobb in the backfield.. It became obvious we were gonna pass all day. Mays has fumbling issue, doesn't seem to be able to contribute on special teams. Mays will be the odd man out. Joel Bouagnon maybe a diamond in the rough. Bring in some talent in FA to compete cause this position aint sold yet.
  6. WR: Cobb will need to step up and control the room as a veteran. Cobb has been able to shine on the biggest stages. Adam is a reliable WR and someone who we will count on. Beyond those two, its G-Mo time to show and others are all developmental.
  7. TE: Graham.. Ham Gram... He's basically gonna play WR and run routes. Add in balance TE through draft or FA.
  8. S: Because my guess is that Jones slides over to a true SS spot, I think this position has its starters accounted for with some solid depth.
  9. DL: Late round or UDFA warming up the bench.
  10. C: Linsley is the starter. Patrick next up to bat.
  11. LS/KR/PR: Bret Goode.. but theyre in search of the next Goode. More camp bodies to compete. Zook wants offensive guys to be taking the punts and kicks. Looking for someone to replace Janis as gunner and a home run threat at PR/KR.
  12. K: Sign a young free agent like Younghoe Koo (has experience) or UDFA to compete. Could see us go younger here.
  13. QB: UDFA camp arms
  14. P: N/A - Finally got one a real punter. Hope Schum pushes Vogel to be better. Ultimately Vogel keeps this job.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think that EDGE needs quite a bit of help because the team can't rely on either either Clay or Perry being on the field consistently and, even when on the field, only one of those two is a real pass rush threat. Corner, well that's obvious, as is ILB. I'd rank the needs on the team as:

1. Derwin James - not a position but a guy that could provide pass rush, run support, and coverage for the defense....that's pretty much everything a defense does
2. EDGE - a great pass rusher is the most helpful thing for a defense
3. Corner - a good corner is the second best thing to help a defense (look what Lattimore's addition did for the Saints last year)
4. ILB - only if it's Roquan Smith
5. Maurice Hurst - Only reason he's not #1 is because of the heart issue. NFL didn't have him back for retests so if he's healthy, he would be #1. I like PFF's analogy; he could be the next Gerald McCoy. Yes, team has good, young DTs but depth is always helpful in the NFL and, if Hurst is great, Packers could save a lot of cap room by moving Daniels (probably for some decent players/picks).
6. G/OT - Always need these guys
7. TE - Graham is good now, but he's older and expensive. Getting younger and cheaper would be nice but not necessary
8. QB - This draft is supposedly deep at QB, might as well look for a development guy (just don't trust anything McCarthy says about him after the Hundley fiasco)
9. WR - might be higher in other drafts but this draft is kinda weak at WR. Supposedly next year's WR is loaded.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts