OLB Situation / Interesting Waiver wire prospects

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not a guy that was cut today, nor an OLB, but will say it again...Eric Reid in Green and Gold would make my day. With what is going on in the court system right now, to me it is looking more and more like Kap and Reid are both going to be on the right side of the rulings. What does that mean? Joe Public might still not like Reid playing for his team, but Reid will be back in the NFL sooner than later and with our current Safeties, I think Reid is better than any of them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
John Simon is the best option that became available today.

Get it done! The more I read about Simon the more I like. Like his old teammate Morrison, it's not that he isn't a talented OLB in a 3-4 defense, he is being considered to be too small to fit into their new 4-3 plans. Get him in GB Gute!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not a guy that was cut today, nor an OLB, but will say it again...Eric Reid in Green and Gold would make my day. With what is going on in the court system right now, to me it is looking more and more like Kap and Reid are both going to be on the right side of the rulings. What does that mean? Joe Public might still not like Reid playing for his team, but Reid will be back in the NFL sooner than later and with our current Safeties, I think Reid is better than any of them.

Maybe the Packers would make sense as they lack one particular owner for the rest of the owners to get mad at?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Get it done! The more I read about Simon the more I like. Like his old teammate Morrison, it's not that he isn't a talented OLB in a 3-4 defense, he is being considered to be too small to fit into their new 4-3 plans. Get him in GB Gute!

Typically young (27) useful pass rushers don't become available. It's a unique situation that I hope Gute can take advantage of. But I don't know where they fall in waiver priority.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What are they seeking in the grievance anyway? Money for damages? So they win and the courts say there was collusion to keep them out what are they going to do draw straws to see which team has to take them. If no team was willing to sign them before I don't see how this will change and all of a sudden make teams want them now.

That's just an aside because I agree with you, I'd love to have Reid here.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe the Packers would make sense as they lack one particular owner for the rest of the owners to get mad at?

My thoughts exactly way back when. Being a Publicly owned Team, the Packers don't have to worry about an owner being called out for not being "one of the good old boys". ;) I just think it makes good sense from a football standpoint. Reid would work his way into the starting lineup quickly and make HaHa expendable after this year, which I think he probably will be anyway.

Typically young (27) useful pass rushers don't become available. It's a unique situation that I hope Gute can take advantage of. But I don't know where they fall in waiver priority.

Didn't know a lot about Simon until your post, appears you aren't the only one thinking he would be a good fit in Green Bay. This was an article written back in July.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...ep-an-eye-on-john-simon-during-training-camp/

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What are they seeking in the grievance anyway? Money for damages? So they win and the courts say there was collusion to keep them out what are they going to do draw straws to see which team has to take them. If no team was willing to sign them before I don't see how this will change and all of a sudden make teams want them now.

That's just an aside because I agree with you, I'd love to have Reid here.

I think a decision in favor of the players and against the owners will put whatever owners were on the fence about signing them, but going along (if that is true) with the majority and steering clear, in a quick position to sign him without fear of the other owners being able to say a thing. As Dantes pointed out, the Packers have really been in this position from Day 1, since they are a Publicly owned franchise.

"Hey Jerry, we just signed Reid, how do you like dem' apples?"

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly way back when. Being a Publicly owned Team, the Packers don't have to worry about an owner being called out for not being "one of the good old boys". ;) I just think it makes good sense from a football standpoint. Reid would work his way into the starting lineup quickly and make HaHa expendable after this year, which I think he probably will be anyway.

Didn't know a lot about Simon until your post, appears you aren't the only one thinking he would be a good fit in Green Bay. This was an article written back in July.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...ep-an-eye-on-john-simon-during-training-camp/

From a football standpoint, I don't know how anyone can argue with Reid's value. It's just the other stuff that makes it a question.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I could be wrong, but isn't Simon a FA due to his 4+ years of being in the league? I don't think he goes through waivers and is free to sign with whoever.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
From a football standpoint, I don't know how anyone can argue with Reid's value. It's just the other stuff that makes it a question.
While a court decision in Kap or Reid's favor will never change some fans minds, I am sure a few nice tackles and a couple of interceptions will sway some of those fans to come down onto the field and wrap him in the American Flag...I mean the Packer flag.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but isn't Simon a FA due to his 4+ years of being in the league? I don't think he goes through waivers and is free to sign with whoever.

Ohhh, you're probably right. In that case, go get that Gute loot!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know I said the Packers should stick to Vet FA signings, but an intriguing guy to me is RB Ryan Nall of the Bears. The Bears are loaded at RB with Howard, Cohen and Cunningham, so it is easy to see why Nall didn't make their roster. He looked good in a game I saw him play in. He is a bigger back (6'2 232#'s) that seems to pound the ball forward, block well and gained 223 yds on 32 carries (6.97 yds/carry).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I said the Packers should stick to Vet FA signings, but an intriguing guy to me is RB Ryan Nall of the Bears. The Bears are loaded at RB with Howard, Cohen and Cunningham, so it is easy to see why Nall didn't make their roster. He looked good in a game I saw him play in. He is a bigger back (6'2 232#'s) that seems to pound the ball forward, block well and gained 223 yds on 32 carries (6.97 yds/carry).

And he could run right over that new defensive guy they just traded for. What was his name Jack or Hack or something like that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just like LT days, we'll need to task a RB or TE as additional blocker. Lewis or Tonyan may be tasked for that.

Lewis is the best run blocking tight end in the league, the Packers will definitely use him in that role.

But I don't know where they fall in waiver priority.

The waiver wire order is the same as the one for the draft until after week 3 of the regular season.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excuse me while I hop on the John Simon train until he's picked up somewhere. Solid fit to our group of.... FOUR olbs. Gah! Get em! Need bodies!

Members online

Latest posts