OLB Situation / Interesting Waiver wire prospects

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be opposed to grab some OG depth while the list is long. Even if it’s just a short term stop gap.
Incognito? Siragusa?
For once, we have a pretty decent chance of getting someone off waivers being that only 13 teams can veto us.

Reaction score
John Simon is the best option that became available today.
Yes. Him being a Backup behind the likes of Mercilus and Clowney alone should be enough to warrant a look. Simon is the type of player whose addition can define a position group, especially come December when the injury list is at full tilt.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes. Him being a Backup behind the likes of Mercilus and Clowney alone should be enough to warrant a look. Simon is the type of player whose addition can define a position group, especially come December when the injury list is at full tilt.
Yup and come October, when those injuries do start piling up, these are the guys who aren't still available to sign. Not that you can fill your 53 and PS with tailor made ready to play guys, but when you have a position that is already thin in experience, you really need to sign a guy like this if you have to opportunity.

I have to wonder though if Gute was planning ahead like he did with Morrison, the discussion of Simon didn't already come up at that same time, especially since he was dealing with the Colts? If you Google Simon, it was pretty well known ahead of time that due to the change to the 4-3 by the Colts, he was a solid player who was on the bubble.

Guessing a lot of us are combing the waiver wires thinking a bunch of guys would be an upgrade to the Packers, I have to trust that not only are the Packers doing that, but also accept the fact that they had a lot more information and advanced scouting on players like this than any of us.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Guessing a lot of us are combing the waiver wires thinking a bunch of guys would be an upgrade to the Packers, I have to trust that not only are the Packers doing that, but also accept the fact that they had a lot more information and advanced scouting on players like this than any of us.
. Ok. But I do often wonder if our scouts peek in here on those days that are tough to get started.. just to stay ahead of the preverbial “curve”? ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He's never been known as a mentally stable individual and things seem to be getting worse.

A big hard pass on a guy like Incognito. If people are having a difficult time with wanting to see Eric Reid play in the NFL again, not sure how RI and his powder key of a personality would be desired. This was just his latest of bizarre behaviors.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ut-off-his-dead-fathers-head-at-funeral-home/

Sadly or maybe a good thing for the future safety of players, Richie Incognito might become the poster child for those questioning Football and CTE

H

HardRightEdge

A big hard pass on a guy like Incognito. If people are having a difficult time with wanting to see Eric Reid play in the NFL again, not sure how RI and his powder key of a personality would be desired. This was just his latest of bizarre behaviors.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ut-off-his-dead-fathers-head-at-funeral-home/

Sadly or maybe a good thing for the future safety of players, Richie Incognito might become the poster child for those questioning Football and CTE
And yet Richie wants to explore genetic causes. Maybe he senses he was born nuts and it's getting worse.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As we all comb the waiver wire, I was curious as to what the Packers have left to spend and it isn't much at all if you believe the math of this article!

"$3.639 million in salary cap space when the Rule of 51 expires, which occurs when the first game is played, and after signing ten players to the practice squad. "

That is barely enough to buy groceries in the NFL and a small amount to have in your war chest for the usually signings of Street FA's as injuries occur. Hate to say it, but if this guy is right, we won't be seeing anything big happening in Green Bay, unless they counter it with cutting someone that is sucking an equal amount of cap.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/green-bays-salary-cap-situation-after-the-roster-cuts-633

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple guys are of moderate interest...Simon and Sims in Tampa. Mack going to Chitown makes me sick, but the cost is going to set the Bayers back going forward.

H

HardRightEdge

As we all comb the waiver wire, I was curious as to what the Packers have left to spend and it isn't much at all if you believe the math of this article!

"$3.639 million in salary cap space when the Rule of 51 expires, which occurs when the first game is played, and after signing ten players to the practice squad. "

That is barely enough to buy groceries in the NFL and a small amount to have in your war chest for the usually signings of Street FA's as injuries occur. Hate to say it, but if this guy is right, we won't be seeing anything big happening in Green Bay, unless they counter it with cutting someone that is sucking an equal amount of cap.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/green-bays-salary-cap-situation-after-the-roster-cuts-633
That number is understated.

I believe there is some bad math in there. First, it says "5 players" on IR. How come I only count 4? Are they thinking of Cole Madison as a 5th? Are the Packers paying him? I don't know if Madison is being paid, but I'll exclude him from the following calculation. If he is being paid, we can make an adjustment at the end of this breakdown.

Second, and more importantly, you don't subtract the salaries of guys on IR from what the cap space was previously as the second paragraph seems to suggest (while seemingly contradicted further on in that link). The 3 new IR guys already counted against the top 51 cap and still do as did Ryan (who was out of the top 51 at that point and would have been included in the NFLPA figure below.) What you subtract from the cap space for these 3 new IR guys is the cap cost of the replacements.

There is one and only one definitive source for current cap space status: https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report

Packers: $10,652,977

Catch the notes at the top: updated daily as contracts are processed. "Processed" refers to the league review and approval of all contracts to assure they conform to CBA guidelines while not putting the team over the cap. There may be some lag between an anouncement of a roster move or contract signing and it being reflected in that number, but not much. Rodgers' and Morrison's revisions to that number should already be in that above figure.

The only subtractions from that number should be:

1) cap cost of the replacements of the IR guys, which would be the rookie minimums totalling $1.44 mil if they are not already included in the NFLPA number; I don't believe they are included because that number hasn't changed in the last couple of days.

2) players 52 and 53 also at the rookie minimum totalling $960 million

3) practice squad, 10 players, all 17 weeks, with no above-minimum signings: that $1.29 mil from the link looks about right and I will not bother verifying it

Barring any free agent signings with a cap cost higher than the rookie minimum or vet cuts with a cap savings higher than the rookie minimum, the NFLPA figure should show something close to the current figure minus 1) and 2) = $8.25 mil current cap space

I did not subtract the PS cost because I believe that's pay-as-you-go against the cap from week to week. But if you want to include that as a current liability and eventual cost before the season is out, then that gets you to about $7 mil current cap space.

If the Packers are paying Cole Madison like an IR guy, then subtract $480,000 for his replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That number is understated.

I believe there is some bad math in there. First, it say "5 players" on IR. How come I only count 4? Are they thinking of Cole Madison as a 5th? Are the Packers paying him? I don't know if Madison is being paid, but I'll exclude him from the following calculation. If he is being paid, we can make an adjustment at the end of this breakdown.

Second, and more importantly, you don't subtract the salaries of guys on IR from what the cap space was previously as the second paragraph seems to suggest (while seemingly contradicted further on in that link). The 3 new IR guys already counted against the top 51 cap and still do as did Ryan (who was out of the top 51 at that point and would have been included in the NFLPA figure above already.) What you subtract from the cap space for these 3 new IR guys is the cap cost of the replacements.

There is one and only one definitive source for current cap space status: https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report

Packers: $10,652,977

Catch the notes at the top: updated daily as contracts are processed. "Processed" refers to the league review and approval of all contracts to assure they conform to CBA guidelines while not putting the team over the cap. There may be some lag between an anouncement of a roster move or contract signing and it being reflected in that number, but not much. Rodgers' and Morrison's revisions to that number should already be in that above figure.

The only subtractions from that number should be:

1) cap cost of the replacements of the IR guys, which would be the rookie minimums totalling $1.44 mil if they are not already included in the NFLPA number; I don't believe they are included because that number hasn't changed in the last couple of day

2) players 52 and 53 also at the rookie minimum totalling $960 million

3) practice squad, 10 players, all 17 weeks, with no above-minimum signings: that $1.29 mil from the link looks about right and I will not bother verifying it

Barring any free agent signings with a cap cost higher than the rookie minimum or vet cuts with a cap savings higher than the rookie minimum, the NFLPA figure should show something close to the current figure minus 1) and 2) = $8.25 mil

I did not subtract the PS cost because I believe that's pay-as-you-go against the cap from week to week. But if you want to include that as a current liability and eventual cost before the season is out, then that gets you to about $7 mil in current cap space.

If the Packers are paying Cole Madison like an IR guy, then subtract $480,000 for his replacement.

Good stuff man and thanks for clearing that up as well as that website. I was finding it hard to believe that other article that the Packers left themselves as "Cap Thin" as that article I posted showed.

Even though Cole Madison's $480,000 is more than a lot of us make by working 10 years, that is a drop in the bucket for the Packers. I saw "Fully Guaranteed Money: $324,332, which is his signing bonus on overthecap.com, even that would be crazy if the Packers didn't get that back, from a guy who never reported.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers are going waiver wire or FA shopping for an OLB, I would prefer they don't look for projects that have failed elsewhere. Find a Vet that was cut due to cap restraints or just a guy like like Junior Galette who has been waiting to be signed at the right price, someone with some solid NFL reps.
Seems like O-line depth is a problem across the NFL. That’s a little surprising. One would think there are enough OLs coming out of college to work as serviceable backups. I don’t think waiver wire candidates will provide much, and if Gluten was hoping to trade he would have done so already. I expect the WR and TE groups will go from 8/4 to 7/3 soon, making room for new blood (or old blood). For the most part though, what we see is what we’ll bring to start the season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will OLB be the new Secondary, the kryptonite that keeps us from a SB?
That’s a really good question. The backup OL was scary bad in the preseason. And while I have faith in the secondary, they have to prove it in real games. The team as currently constituted will likely win 10 or 11 games and a playoff berth. I’m still bummed Gluten couldn’t pull the trigger on Mack. The Bears simply had more to offer. And even that would have done nothing for the O line problem. Well, we’ll find out in a week or two what we really have.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like LT days, we'll need to task a RB or TE as additional blocker. Lewis or Tonyan may be tasked for that.

Wonder if letting Rip is a mistake.
If Lewis hadn’t been signed as a great blocking TE, Rip would probably still be on the roster. I don’t see it as a huge loss.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just can't imagine anyone who is cut today would be any better. Maybe a trade.
And even if someone was cut who was an upgrade on the OL, it’s likely he’s gone before it’s GB’s turn. No, I think what we see is what we get for the O line. Scary.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good stuff man and thanks for clearing that up as well as that website. I was finding it hard to believe that other article that the Packers left themselves as "Cap Thin" as that article I posted showed.

Even though Cole Madison's $480,000 is more than a lot of us make by working 10 years, that is a drop in the bucket for the Packers. I saw "Fully Guaranteed Money: $324,332, which is his signing bonus on overthecap.com, even that would be crazy if the Packers didn't get that back, from a guy who never reported.
I know I read that too and was a little confused cuz cheesehead is usually pretty good about articles

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And even if someone was cut who was an upgrade on the OL, it’s likely he’s gone before it’s GB’s turn. No, I think what we see is what we get for the O line. Scary.
Players with a minimum of 4 years of experience aren't subjected to the waiver wire, they just become your "everyday FA". So unless the Packers were hoping to sign a young guy (1-3 years in NFL), the waiver wire shouldn't really preclude them from signing a decent OL-man.....if there is one out there AND he wants to play in Green Bay at whatever they are offering.

Personally, I am not a fan of the way the NFL doesn't the Waiver wire. I get giving the "worst teams" first crack, but it should be run like a draft. Browns get one player, then the Giants, etc....
But as it is:

"You might be used to the waiver process in your fantasy football league. The NFL waiver process is different in that the No. 1 team can claim as many players from waivers as they want, and they retain priority. The Browns essentially get first dibs on every player. They will stay in that position through Week 3 of the regular season. When they pass on a player, the Giants then get priority, followed by the Colts, and so forth."

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players with a minimum of 4 years of experience aren't subjected to the waiver wire, they just become your "everyday FA". So unless the Packers were hoping to sign a young guy (1-3 years in NFL), the waiver wire shouldn't really preclude them from signing a decent OL-man.....if there is one out there AND he wants to play in Green Bay at whatever they are offering.

Personally, I am not a fan of the way the NFL doesn't the Waiver wire. I get giving the "worst teams" first crack, but it should be run like a draft. Browns get one player, then the Giants, etc....
But as it is:

"You might be used to the waiver process in your fantasy football league. The NFL waiver process is different in that the No. 1 team can claim as many players from waivers as they want, and they retain priority. The Browns essentially get first dibs on every player. They will stay in that position through Week 3 of the regular season. When they pass on a player, the Giants then get priority, followed by the Colts, and so forth."
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn’t aware the wire works this way, that Cleveland, for example, can claim more than one player. It should work like the draft.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they could bring Simon in, they’d be able to go four deep with guys who can offer real NFL caliber snaps. They wouldn’t have the top end talent of a guy like Mack, but they could at least rotate and spell Perry and Matthews.

Reaction score
If they could bring Simon in, they’d be able to go four deep with guys who can offer real NFL caliber snaps. They wouldn’t have the top end talent of a guy like Mack, but they could at least rotate and spell Perry and Matthews.
Agreed. Obviously the best case scenario is having a generational guy like a JJ Watt, Donald or Mack or whatever at a position group.. but the next best scenario is having a couple “Prowbowl alternate” type talents (I think of Clay and Nick here) and then a minor dropoff in talent depth behind that.
In this league holding players out for injury and safety protocols has become the norm, especially in more recent seasons. It’s only prudent we make adjustments to have better depth vs. taking the “eggs in one basket approach” to roster building.
There are noble exceptions to every concept.. like Aaron Rodgers contract as a recent example.

H

HardRightEdge

There is a passage in the following link that explains how Madison's signing bonus (as a Reserve/Did Not Report player) could be recouped if the team so chooses, 60% by opening day and the rest as the season progressed if he did not report. Also, the fines are quite steep if the Packers chose to levy them.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...l-roster-designations-injured-reserve-pup-nfi

Gutekunst said, "We'll give him some time to deal with that." That tells me they're not going to fine the guy and may not have initiated the signing bonus clawback schedule. What I don't know is if they have not chosen clawback now what recourse they would have later if he never shows up.

All in all, it is a minor footnote to the overall cap pictures.

H

HardRightEdge

Something just occurred to me. spotrac.com has had the Packers cap space under the NFLPA number for months. Right now it's at $5+ mil vs. the NFLPA's $10+mil. It's possible these reporters were doing subtractions off the spotrac number instead of the NFLPA's. That would be a mistake.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be opposed to grab some OG depth while the list is long. Even if it’s just a short term stop gap.
Incognito? Siragusa?
For once, we have a pretty decent chance of getting someone off waivers being that only 13 teams can veto us.

He's a 3rd grade bully that acts nice when the teachers (the media) are nearby. He's the Eddie Haskell of the NFL. I'd rather suck on a rock than experiment that.

Members online

Latest posts