Cuts, my beliefs

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys, just observations on who I think gets cut, not who gets called back to practice squad. Just who gets a visit from the Turk by 3 pm. Saturday. (Note due to the suspension I'm only cutting 36 not 37)

Kofi Amichia
Byron Bell
Vince Biegel
Tim Boyle
Donatello Brown
James Crawford
LeShun Daniels
Austin Davis
Trevor Davis
Dillon Day
Kendall Donnerson
Marwin Evans
Demetri Goodson
Ravene Greene
Josh Hawkins
James Hearns
Bronson Hill
Naashon Hughes
Adonis Jennings
Kyle Lewis
Marcedes Lewis
Alex Light
James Looney
Joey Mbu
Ty Montgomery
J'Mon Moore
Chris Odom
Kevin Rader
Connor Sheehy
Ryan Smith
Ahmad Thomas
Robert Tonyan
Herb Waters
Jermaine Whitehead
DeAngelo Yancey

Hunter Bradley OR Zach Triner (We aren't keeping 2 LS, and honestly I don't know which one is out performing the other.

Any mistakes made on this by me with players already cut, I tried to find an updated roster, and I'm not sure if I found it or not.

Be glad to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on the matter, as well as the list. I did not discriminate based on any metric including numbers at any one position, I just "cut" players based on who either did virtually nothing, or stacked negative thing.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see a large chunk of these players getting cut... but there is NO WAY Mercedes Lewis, J'Mon Moore, Ty Montgomery, and Vince Biegel get cut. Lewis is going to playing a ton on Sundays. I would even suspect that Boyle makes the cut after Hundley got traded. Ty is one of the two RB's with experience until Jones comes back. Not going to give up on Moore so he stays especially if Davis gets cuts. There isn't enough edge rushers on the team to justify cutting Biegel yet.

Ahmad Thomas and Robert Tonyan both have an above average chance to make this team with Thomas more likely than not. Tonyan could be our #3 TE and would be a cost saving addition over Kendricks.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here was my logic on Moore and Montgomery: Stickem has been illegal since the 80's and these 2 players need stickem.

Biegel for me was a tough cut, but he fell into the 'hasn't done anything' category, same with Lewis.

I will say until tonight I would've agreed about Boyle, after tonight, no he'll be lucky to get signed to the practice squad.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally understand what you are saying, but those 4 players will make the roster because no one else is better for those spots. Lewis is a for sure... he is a devastating blocking TE that will be playing a lot with Graham/Adams out wide and Cobb in the slot. He has been absolutely dominating in drills and the pre-season games. Lewis could actually make our FB spot a non-needed position. We will be seeing a lot of 2 WR/2 TE/1 RB sets this year and Lewis is one of the reasons behind that.

Monty will be our #2 back for the first two weeks and in the rotation afterwards with Jones and Williams. Moore has had a tough camp, but one thing that is in his favor is that while he has had a case of the drops... he is getting open at alarming rates. If and when he corrects the catching the ball issue... he could be special. We won't let him go.

Biegel is on the bubble, but we are just weak on the edges with Clay, Perry, Gilbert, Biegel, Fackrell, Donnerson... We are most likely keeping 5 and maybe 6, which means Biegel survives and plays in only his second year. He has an upside that says he won't be cut. Fackrell is closer to being cut than Biegel... and I don't believe any of those will be cut except for maybe Donnerson heading to the PS.

MM believes that Boyle could become something and after last years fiasco with Hill... They won't take the chance on someone else picking him up. Even though hopefully he'll never play... he most likely makes the squad.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lewis didn't play much just like Rodgers didn't play much, Graham didn't play much, Adams didn't play much, etc etc, etc. They have a spot for him, they didn't need to see him to evaluate him and he's going to be a big part of the offensive plans whether you see him catching balls or not.

Moore gets open too much to let go. That and nobody else really jumped up again and said, you MUST keep me. Other than Kumerow and who knows, if would have played these last 2 games maybe we'd be saying something different. MVS looked good at times, EBrown made some nice catches that didn't count, but I expected to see a bit more from him. I think there's a chance we could keep 7 WR, but cutting one of those guys wouldn't surprise me, or Davis.

Boyle should not make this roster. He doesn't throw a ball any better than Tolzien did, and has the same probability of going back and launching into a defender as Tolzien did too. We have our back up and I saw nothing from boyle that makes me think he's worthy of a roster spot. I'd rather they keep Davis as strictly a returnman in that case if we're just giving roster spots to people.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see a large chunk of these players getting cut... but there is NO WAY Mercedes Lewis, J'Mon Moore, Ty Montgomery, and Vince Biegel get cut. Lewis is going to playing a ton on Sundays. I would even suspect that Boyle makes the cut after Hundley got traded. Ty is one of the two RB's with experience until Jones comes back. Not going to give up on Moore so he stays especially if Davis gets cuts. There isn't enough edge rushers on the team to justify cutting Biegel yet.

Ahmad Thomas and Robert Tonyan both have an above average chance to make this team with Thomas more likely than not. Tonyan could be our #3 TE and would be a cost saving addition over Kendricks.
Yeah I read that and had to re read it

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some shocking names on your list, but I can guarantee you the actual cut list will have names we did not expect.

Fairly certain that Mercedes Lewis has made the roster. Monty could be gone after Jones comes back from suspension.

Boyle has the skill set to be great, but he looked so bad last night he is a probable cut. Practice squad for him. He made a series of very bad decisions and is a long way from playing in a real game. You cant keep a player on the roster who is 2 years from playing.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some shocking names on your list, but I can guarantee you the actual cut list will have names we did not expect.

Fairly certain that Mercedes Lewis has made the roster. Monty could be gone after Jones comes back from suspension.

Boyle has the skill set to be great, but he looked so bad last night he is a probable cut. Practice squad for him. He made a series of very bad decisions and is a long way from playing in a real game. You cant keep a player on the roster who is 2 years from playing.
I don’t think Monty is gone if anything he would be traded before cut i would say

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
These are "notable names" cut so far today from other teams. Joe Callahan is ready to become a Packer again!

• P Shane Lechler, Texans

• QB Christian Hackenberg, Eagles

• QB Joe Callahan, Eagles (former Packer)

• WR Braxton Miller, Texans

• TE Alec Bloom, Cardinals

• OL David Quessenberry, Texans

• LB Scooby Wright, Cardinals

• WR Charles Johnson, Jets (former Packer)

Last edited:

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Biegel would make it as we have nobody else.

I think we can easily cut Biegel and pick up some other nobody that another team cuts. I think we keep him cause he was out most of last season and we spent a 4th on him. I don’t think we cut Lewis either,we knew what we were getting when we signed him and did not need the preseason to evaluate him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we can easily cut Biegel and pick up some other nobody that another team cuts. I think we keep him cause he was out most of last season and we spent a 4th on him. I don’t think we cut Lewis either,we knew what we were getting when we signed him and did not need the preseason to evaluate him.
Vince... Cut... Because he hasn't shown anything?

Packers shut him down last year for surgery they spent over 100k on..

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mercedes Lewis is not getting cut. Beigel is a head scratcher....Kendricks is gone imo. Tonyon is in there. Boyle is NOT Tolzein...but he needs work. He is much better than Hundley was year 1. They may not keep him on the 53 though. If Mays makes the team I think ty is cut.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Former Packers looking for work:
  • CB Ladarius Gunter (Panthers)
  • DT Christian Ringo (Lions)
  • QB Joe Callahan (eagles)
  • WR Jeff Janis (Browns)
  • WR Charles Johnson (Jets)
  • OG Don Barclay (Saints)

D

Deleted member 6794

I can see a large chunk of these players getting cut... but there is NO WAY Mercedes Lewis, J'Mon Moore, Ty Montgomery, and Vince Biegel get cut.

I agree about most names on your list but Biegel is on the bubble in my opinion.

Biegel is on the bubble, but we are just weak on the edges with Clay, Perry, Gilbert, Biegel, Fackrell, Donnerson... We are most likely keeping 5 and maybe 6, which means Biegel survives and plays in only his second year. He has an upside that says he won't be cut. Fackrell is closer to being cut than Biegel... and I don't believe any of those will be cut except for maybe Donnerson heading to the PS.

MM believes that Boyle could become something and after last years fiasco with Hill... They won't take the chance on someone else picking him up. Even though hopefully he'll never play... he most likely makes the squad.

Pettine was pretty clear about Fackrell being the #4 edge rusher, therefore he will make the roster.

The Packers losing Hill last season wasn't a fiasco by any means. Geez, he hasn't even thrown a pass in the regular season and probably won't this year either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
unfortunately I think Biegel is also on the bubble. Great effort guy, could be effective in situations, but man does he just get swallowed up on the edge when engaging a tackle. Worse then that, he gets tossed around fairly easily. But then he has a move and some speed to force a play. I'm leaning towards them finding a specific role for him rather than giving up on him yet. But i do not think he had a good preseason

Though I haven't had much love for Fackrell, to me, he was clearly our 4th best option this preseason.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd bring Callahan in, make him the #3 and put Boyle on the PS once waivers clear. IF we lose Boyle we have an upgraded at QB 3 anyway with Callahan. I would also bring Gunter in for a workout to see how he does in Pettine's scheme. At time he shined under Capers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd bring Callahan in, make him the #3 and put Boyle on the PS once waivers clear. IF we lose Boyle we have an upgraded at QB 3 anyway with Callahan. I would also bring Gunter in for a workout to see how he does in Pettine's scheme. At time he shined under Capers.

The problem is, Callahan's frequent flyer card is full and he is restricted from traveling anywhere for awhile. ;)

The truth is Callahan is not the answer, if he was, he would still be with one of the teams that had his rights in the last 2 years. Those teams being:

Green Bay Packers
New Orleans Saints

On October 14, Callahan was claimed off waivers by the New Orleans Saints,[14] and waived by the team on October 22.[15]
Cleveland Browns
Callahan was claimed off waivers by the Cleveland Browns on October 24,[16] and released by the team on November 28.
Green Bay Packers (second stint)
On December 2, Callahan was signed to the Packers' practice squad,[18] and was promoted to the active roster on December 17, 2016.[19]
Philadelphia Eagles

While I would prefer seeing Boyle on the PS, Callahan had his chances, was nothing but a smarter QB that showed a bit of promise in a few preseason game.

It is one thing to be a veteran journey man QB with starting experience, but all Callahan would be good for is the idea that some day he may develop into a backup.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think Monty is gone if anything he would be traded before cut i would say
Agreed. Even if they were thinking about getting rid of Monty, they’d try trading him first. Same for Lewis, but for me, Lewis is a lock.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is, Callahan's frequent flyer card is full and he is restricted from traveling anywhere for awhile. ;)

The truth is Callahan is not the answer, if he was, he would still be with one of the teams that had his rights in the last 2 years. Those teams being:

Green Bay Packers
New Orleans Saints

On October 14, Callahan was claimed off waivers by the New Orleans Saints,[14] and waived by the team on October 22.[15]
Cleveland Browns
Callahan was claimed off waivers by the Cleveland Browns on October 24,[16] and released by the team on November 28.
Green Bay Packers (second stint)
On December 2, Callahan was signed to the Packers' practice squad,[18] and was promoted to the active roster on December 17, 2016.[19]
Philadelphia Eagles

While I would prefer seeing Boyle on the PS, Callahan had his chances, was nothing but a smarter QB that showed a bit of promise in a few preseason game.

It is one thing to be a veteran journey man QB with starting experience, but all Callahan would be good for is the idea that some day he may develop into a backup.
Boyle might still find his way to the PS. Probably smart to protect him for now, waive him maybe mid-week and hope the league is set at 3rd string QBs and he clears the waiver. The way he played Thursday night, that’s not a stretch.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. I don’t see much difference ability-wise between Callahan and Boyle, but Callahan has been through the wringer with a few teams and still isn’t clicking. At this point I’d stick with Boyle, maybe sneak him onto the PS mid-week.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rollins waived injured, along with Murphy and Mays. I guess that basketball pedigree didn't pay dividends for him on the gridiron. Thanks Teddy. Your 2015 draft is officially a joke among all the other below average drafts of yours.

Members online