Okay, I'll admit it now. Rodgers has regressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Cowboys fan here. Not here to talk trash just give my opinion on Rodgers. I have all the respect in the world for Rodgers. He absolutely shredded my team two years ago in the playoffs on one leg or one calf. He is the best quarterback I've ever watched.

When Rodgers is on his game his ability to somehow someway get away from a rush, keep his eyes down field and even when his feet haven't been set he's able to deliver a strike. I can't remember a quarterback fitting the ball into as many tight windows as Rodgers has. He typically has been so smart with the football. He knows the fine balance between taking risk, but also being so smart with the football.

Watching Rodgers up close on Sunday it looked like to me his footwork wasn't good. He wasn't stepping up and really driving on any of his throws and I think too often trying to escape when he didn't need too. I know none of you probably want to hear it, but as a Cowboys fan I've seen someone I consider a tremendous quarterback in Tony Romo struggle. In 2012 he led the league in interceptions and his accuracy was really erratic. The next season even though the numbers were better Romo was essentially a **** and dunk quarterback with very few big plays. He wasn't taking enough chances with the ball. Then he hurt his back and looked like he was done. Dallas made a commitment to running the football after drafting Martin and Romo came back and had a great year and other than Rodgers to me was the best QB in the league that season.

What am I getting at? As much as I love Romo I know Rodgers is a much better quarterback. He will be fine. The footwork needs to improve and he needs to stay in the pocket more because that OL is terrific. They need to run the ball more as well. Get those linebackers coming up to the line and give Rodgers windows to throw in that vacated area of the field.

Dallas played a lot of three man rush and played coverage and you sure as hell can't do that when you run the football. Make teams have to come up and stack the line of scrimmage and eventually Rodgers will check out and torch teams for big plays. I also felt like some of their formations were predictable. Mix it up. Spread teams out and then run the ball on them. Seems like Green Bay is too reliant on big plays so they need to attack underneath with crossing routes and slants underneath and use more roll outs since Rodgers has great mobility.

I think you guys will be okay. I still believe they have a good run defense. They just ran into a dominant offensive line with a great looking young and complete runner. Not many teams will have success stopping that run imo because they not only have strong, physical linemen yet are also mobile and get on the edge and Zeke has the speed and has developed patience.

Rodgers still scares the hell out of me and I want no part of the Packers if both teams manage to make it to the playoffs. As Favre said even the greatest players go through bad slumps. Favre had his and now Rodgers is having his, but he's a once in a lifetime type talent and he'll return to that all world level.

Good insights......can you deliver this to Mike McCarthy please. because many of have tried ;)

BTW.....that offense of yours is scary with Zeke. I had the pleasure of watching him play when he was a Buckeye. Hope to see you in the NFCCG.

CowboysFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good insights......can you deliver this to Mike McCarthy please. because many of have tried ;)

BTW.....that offense of yours is scary with Zeke. I had the pleasure of watching him play when he was a Buckeye. Hope to see you in the NFCCG.
As long as it's not at Lambeau haha. The Packers could be 0-15 and I would still be nervous about playing there. You guys have a great fan base and home field.

Completely agree about Zeke. Very dynamic runner, but also patient and a great pass protector. It was a pick made to extend Romo's career, but it also obviously has helped the young QB Prescott a lot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As long as it's not at Lambeau haha. The Packers could be 0-15 and I would still be nervous about playing there. You guys have a great fan base and home field.

Completely agree about Zeke. Very dynamic runner, but also patient and a great pass protector. It was a pick made to extend Romo's career, but it also obviously has helped the young QB Prescott a lot.

I haven't followed Romo's career as much as you, but in my humble opinion, Jones would be certifiably crazy to give him his job back over Prescott. Trade him to Da Bears. Some people say Prescott reminds them of Brady, he reminds me more of Russell Wilson. Just a smart player with good all around skills and only a rookie!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For Cowboy fan, in case you didn't see it in my other post. Sorry about this happening, but you know....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zeke is the best rookie RB I have seen since AP. I'm just happy RB's are making a come back in round 1. It was always weird seeing either no RB's taken in the top 10, or seeing them slide to the back of the 1st or none at all in round 1.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's Arod fault at all. He has the look of frustration because he can see the writing on the wall. Our offense is beyond simple, zero complexity, relies on each receiver to win his one on one battle to get open. And they can't do it, and we have zero speed. So we play on a smaller field, makes it easy to defend against us. Frankly people were nuts to think Jordy, at 30, with a repaired knee, was going to be the difference maker.

Which lineman, on either side of the ball, was better then the Cowboys? Jerry J takes a lot of crap, but his team has a hell of a lot more talent then ours with the great TT picking our players.

CowboysFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't followed Romo's career as much as you, but in my humble opinion, Jones would be certifiably crazy to give him his job back over Prescott. Trade him to Da Bears. Some people say Prescott reminds them of Brady, he reminds me more of Russell Wilson. Just a smart player with good all around skills and only a rookie!

Yeah you can't bench Dak. I mean he just went up to Green Bay and beat one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Romo has never beaten Rodgers if I remember correctly. I wouldn't trade him this season because I really don't want Mark Sanchez as a backup to Dak in case anything happens.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah you can't bench Dak. I mean he just went up to Green Bay and beat one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Romo has never beaten Rodgers if I remember correctly. I wouldn't trade him this season because I really don't want Mark Sanchez as a backup to Dak in case anything happens.

I think that Romo should call it a day for his own sake. Multiple back injuries and surgeries are a recipe for being crippled when you're 50.

Dak is the present and the future for Dallas. The kid looks great, and with Ezekiel Elliot in the backfield, that's a dangerous combination.

CowboysFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Romo should call it a day for his own sake. Multiple back injuries and surgeries are a recipe for being crippled when you're 50.

Dak is the present and the future for Dallas. The kid looks great, and with Ezekiel Elliot in the backfield, that's a dangerous combination.
I agree. I admire Romo's toughness, but at some point you have to think about your family, your kids, and spending time with them and not being crippled for the rest of your life.

I'll tell you though watching the game and listening to Brett talk about Prescott as well as saying Romo shouldn't come back was kind of surprising. Favre has always supported Romo and defended him at times and even Aikman said the same thing. Can't argue with two of the best of all time.

Side not, but are the Packers planning on wearing their throwbacks again? I absolutely love their green uniforms. Amongst the best in the NFL IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think it's Arod fault at all.

Rodgers has been inaccurate and indecisive for more than a year. That's solely on him and a major reason for the offense struggling.

Side not, but are the Packers planning on wearing their throwbacks again? I absolutely love their green uniforms. Amongst the best in the NFL IMO.

The Packers have worn their throwback jerseys once a season starting in 2010. Therefore they won't use it again this season.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers will be in their color rush jerseys, tonight.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Packers will be in their color rush jerseys, tonight.

I`d have recommended red shirts to hide the blood, and brown pants to hide.........the mud of course !

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
are the Packers planning on wearing their throwbacks again? I absolutely love their green uniforms. Amongst the best in the NFL IMO.
Hopefully you will see those awesome green jerseys again in the NFCCG against Da Boys....at Lambeau of course. :tup:

Sky King

Reaction score
Zeke is the best rookie RB I have seen since AP. I'm just happy RB's are making a come back in round 1. It was always weird seeing either no RB's taken in the top 10, or seeing them slide to the back of the 1st or none at all in round 1.
Makes one wonder why NFL GMs and coaches choose to make their teams one-dimensional by design, especially ours. While not every team gets a crack at the true all-purpose back due to their scarcity, at least a team can have more than one RB with more than one talent - the old change of pace perspective. Until Davis, we had two power runners on the roster that are more similar than dissimilar. Now we're one-deep the other way with speed but not power. Strange turn of events but still lacking a change of pace. Not a knock on Lacy as a power runner but he's not a breakaway threat the way this guy is or AP was in his prime.

Perhaps if the Cowboys were to prevail for the entire season and go deep in the playoffs it may help the running game make more of a resurgence. It may also help to reduce the stranglehold that only teams with elite QBs are chronically dominant SB contenders (with rules in place that heavily favor it). The NFL product on the field has gotten stale and the decline in viewership this year may indicate that. There's not enough elite QBs to go around to achieve true parity. It would be nice to see several teams with elite RBs also have a legitimate chance at a deep playoff run, same as the pass-heavy teams.

I miss a good running game and a true balanced ("pick your poison") offense that can beat their opponents either way. But, then again, I had the great privilege of witnessing the Lombardi years first-hand.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I miss a good running game and a true balanced ("pick your poison") offense that can beat their opponents either way. But, then again, I had the great privilege of witnessing the Lombardi years first-hand.

I KNEW that was you in the leather helmet!!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
A thought crossed my mind (that happens every 10 years or so). I wonder if Rodgers practicing against a weak secondary all week alters his timing with receivers when he goes up against first string secondaries? I'm not familiar enough to know that much about practices. Does he just work on routes with the receivers, or do they put up opposition? Is it just a matter of timing a route and accuracy, or does the ability of the defender factor in?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A thought crossed my mind (that happens every 10 years or so). I wonder if Rodgers practicing against a weak secondary all week alters his timing with receivers when he goes up against first string secondaries? I'm not familiar enough to know that much about practices. Does he just work on routes with the receivers, or do they put up opposition? Is it just a matter of timing a route and accuracy, or does the ability of the defender factor in?

While I don't know exactly how they run practices, I would guess its a non factor, I only assume this based on the success Rodgers had "pre-slump", when he was most likely practicing against "similarly weak" Packer secondarys.

But I get your theory, if Rodgers had to practice against the best coverage guys in the game, he would really have to hone his accuracy skills. But those skills seemed pretty well perfected up until last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

The first team offense mostly practices against the scout team defense consisting of players at the bottom of the depth chart during the season to prepare for opponents. I highly doubt Rodgers has practiced against more talented cornerbacks for most of his career and therefore don't believe it factors into him struggling.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe Rodgers is just in a slump like Crosby was. Besides, I don't think changing QB's is an option.

Unfortunately it took Crosby until after the 2012 season to get out of his slump. Hopefully Rodgers will be able to return to form during the season.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately it took Crosby until after the 2012 season to get out of his slump. Hopefully Rodgers will be able to return to form during the season.

I sure hope so. I liked the way they used Montgomery with the short dump off passes. That's the way to us WR's in the backfield not run them through 300 lb. lineman.

InFamous

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have put some thought into this situation and the question "Did he really regress?" just like all of the poster here and my answer is "Hell no".

Personally I believe, he obviously lost faith in his receivers and his two biggest trademarks are biting back right now.

First, most of the times he was (and is) looking for the homerun/big play. In the past it was there more often than not. Right now, because of the lackluster routes & slow, not being able to seperate, receivers, the big plays simply arent there and by the time his "bad" habit of looking for the big play, the shorter routes with (sometimes) open receivers arent there anymore either.
Second, he is one of the quaterback with the most reliability, who simply doesnt want to throw into coverage. There are throws in games he should have tried, no doubt, but the way he plays the position those throws wouldnt have been safe enough to his standard.
So now, he has to get rid of two habits and we all now how hard it is to get rid of habits, you need to lose. Not to mention the play calling/ routes aint helping either.

I am looking forward to ARod being his old self and am hoping it will happen sooner rather than later.

One last question thou, did this dude regressed in 2013?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2330/year/2013

Those stats look eerie similar to the ones ARod is posting the last 16 games.

Just my 2 cents from germany.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rodgers is not himself, but anyone suggesting benching him might want to get drug tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts