Okay, I'll admit it now. Rodgers has regressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

There's some truth in there, but the line is been doing ok with 4 and 5 pass rushers too.

Opponents hardly blitz Rodgers anymore and when sending four or less pass rusher opponents mainly concentrate on keeping him in the pocket rather than putting pressure on him. That makes the offensive line look better than it is.

Not a big X's and O's guy but if there's 7 or 8 defenders dropped back in coverage, run the ball.

It's true that the Packers should run the ball more often against the defensive schemes they're currently facing. Unfortunately that's pretty tough when having only one running back (who's banged up as well) capable of playing on the roster.

Sky King

Reaction score
It's a problem when:

- Teams dare the Packers to run yet their roster is light on RBs but heavy on WRs
- When they do show success with the run they tend to abandon it regardless of any success it's been having
- There seems to be an institutional bias that devalues certain positions, such as RB, P, ILB, etc.
- The coaching hierarchy on offense is nothing short of confusing and defies true chain-of-command

Rope-a-dope NFL style: Knowing that the Packer HC and QB will stubbornly and arrogantly persist in forcing their passing game philosophy despite the league long ago having figured out how to neutralize it

ChsPackerBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First post here so please don't be to critical but I saw tis on Twitter and thought it would be relevant here.

Rodgers through 5 games:

2010 (won Super Bowl): 1,227 yds 9 TDs 6 INTs 3-2 record

2016: 1,170 10 TDs 4 INTs 3-2 record

R. E. L. A. X.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First post here so please don't be to critical but I saw tis on Twitter and thought it would be relevant here.

Rodgers through 5 games:

2010 (won Super Bowl): 1,227 yds 9 TDs 6 INTs 3-2 record

2016: 1,170 10 TDs 4 INTs 3-2 record

R. E. L. A. X.

RELAX!%#@% HOW ABOUT YOU RELAX!%@!#

JK, there is always a chance to turn it around. But I will say the way Rodgers is playing now (although comparable in the stats you are showing) is not the same by the eye test. Accuracy has never been a question for Aaron until the last year or so. Even more the last couple of weeks is something I have never seen from him.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

RELAX!%#@% HOW ABOUT YOU RELAX!%@!#

JK, there is always a chance to turn it around. But I will say the way Rodgers is playing now (although comparable in the stats you are showing) is not the same by the eye test. Accuracy has never been a question for Aaron until the last year or so. Even more the last couple of weeks is something I have never seen from him.

The guy just said it`s his first post. How about you turn down the aggression ?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he did say in his post JK.... which I'm assuming was "just kidding"... I took it as humor

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I know this is a long shot, but I think there may be some credibility here. I am going to blame Aaron Rodgers decline on Tom Brady.

Tom Brady gets "caught" tampering with the footballs. Aaron Rodgers comes out and blantenly says he likes his footballs with a higher PSI. September 2015 the NFL cracks down on the football PSI rule. September 2015 Aaron Rodgers begins his pretty significant decline.

Is Aaron Rodgers under performing because his balls are under inflated for how he is seasoned to throw them?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I know this is a long shot, but I think there may be some credibility here. I am going to blame Aaron Rodgers decline on Tom Brady.

Tom Brady gets "caught" tampering with the footballs. Aaron Rodgers comes out and blantenly says he likes his footballs with a higher PSI. September 2015 the NFL cracks down on the football PSI rule. September 2015 Aaron Rodgers begins his pretty significant decline.

Is Aaron Rodgers under performing because his balls are under inflated for how he is seasoned to throw them?

I think Olivia has taken care of that problem ;)

Anything is plausible at this point. I remember that point being brought up after it all surfaced. I just don't remember what we all concluded, if anything.

It still doesn't account for some of his poor decisions and just at times looking lost out there. Unless playing with properly inflated balls and underperforming finally got to his mental state. He seemed to be fine against the Chiefs last year.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is definitely a mental thing, and I have little doubt he will work his way out of it. The Cowboys game was not pretty, but we have been getting glimpses of the old Rodgers throughout the previous four games.

He is struggling, and he does not seem to trust his WR group. That said, he is missing throws even mid tier QBs need to hit on a consistent basis.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The people calling for MM to step down immediately realize that that's it for Sundays the rest of the year then, right? Firing your coach midway through the season, that's something teams who've given up do.

I would think even MM's harshest critic would give him until seasons end or at least playoff contention could be ruled out?
And then do the Ray Rhodes...outta here!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not for firing MM during the season, but during this off season and finally up till now, I am convinced that after the season both MM and TT need to go. This whole act has gotten stale, and it's not going to get better or even any different.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not for firing MM during the season, but during this off season and finally up till now, I am convinced that after the season both MM and TT need to go. This whole act has gotten stale, and it's not going to get better or even any different.

I'm going under the assumption that if the season continues to slide away and we don't make the playoffs, there will be some wholesale changes. If we make the playoffs and exit early, possibly some changes below TT and MM. If we get really better and win a SB....meet your 2017 Green Bay Packer coaching staff and GM.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going under the assumption that if the season continues to slide away and we don't make the playoffs, there will be some wholesale changes. If we make the playoffs and exit early, possibly some changes below TT and MM. If we get really better and win a SB....meet your 2017 Green Bay Packer coaching staff and GM.

IMO, a very accurate assessment.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he has regressed under the current backyard football system. Defenses have figured it out. I'm sure Rodgers would rather create plays than run designed ones, but he's got to be open to change by this point. They'll have to go West Coast with the occasional throwback Rodgers play.

Megatron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Karma?

Boy how things change quickly. Right before the season started, I remember reading a few pages here on how GB has the two best QBs in the division, laughing and scoffing how pathetic every QB is and how they should be begging just to have your backup.

Now you guys have far and away the worst performing starting QB in the division. You have to admit, it's interesting.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now you guys have far and away the worst performing starting QB in the division. You have to admit, it's interesting.

Definitely interesting. That is what makes it so much fun being a Green Bay Packer fan, even at 3-2 we know we can get much better. How are things in Detroit? :coffee:

Last edited:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg Jennings has thoughts. And if you dismissed his last comments as sour grapes this probably deserves a listen.

https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/788133600579448832

Clarification: this is more related to Rodgers' leadership style and less his on-field play, though I'm not sure you can completely separate the two.
Jennings is a clown and is trying to stay relevant by his never-ending comments on Aaron. Pathetic.

CowboysFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowboys fan here. Not here to talk trash just give my opinion on Rodgers. I have all the respect in the world for Rodgers. He absolutely shredded my team two years ago in the playoffs on one leg or one calf. He is the best quarterback I've ever watched.

When Rodgers is on his game his ability to somehow someway get away from a rush, keep his eyes down field and even when his feet haven't been set he's able to deliver a strike. I can't remember a quarterback fitting the ball into as many tight windows as Rodgers has. He typically has been so smart with the football. He knows the fine balance between taking risk, but also being so smart with the football.

Watching Rodgers up close on Sunday it looked like to me his footwork wasn't good. He wasn't stepping up and really driving on any of his throws and I think too often trying to escape when he didn't need too. I know none of you probably want to hear it, but as a Cowboys fan I've seen someone I consider a tremendous quarterback in Tony Romo struggle. In 2012 he led the league in interceptions and his accuracy was really erratic. The next season even though the numbers were better Romo was essentially a **** and dunk quarterback with very few big plays. He wasn't taking enough chances with the ball. Then he hurt his back and looked like he was done. Dallas made a commitment to running the football after drafting Martin and Romo came back and had a great year and other than Rodgers to me was the best QB in the league that season.

What am I getting at? As much as I love Romo I know Rodgers is a much better quarterback. He will be fine. The footwork needs to improve and he needs to stay in the pocket more because that OL is terrific. They need to run the ball more as well. Get those linebackers coming up to the line and give Rodgers windows to throw in that vacated area of the field.

Dallas played a lot of three man rush and played coverage and you sure as hell can't do that when you run the football. Make teams have to come up and stack the line of scrimmage and eventually Rodgers will check out and torch teams for big plays. I also felt like some of their formations were predictable. Mix it up. Spread teams out and then run the ball on them. Seems like Green Bay is too reliant on big plays so they need to attack underneath with crossing routes and slants underneath and use more roll outs since Rodgers has great mobility.

I think you guys will be okay. I still believe they have a good run defense. They just ran into a dominant offensive line with a great looking young and complete runner. Not many teams will have success stopping that run imo because they not only have strong, physical linemen yet are also mobile and get on the edge and Zeke has the speed and has developed patience.

Rodgers still scares the hell out of me and I want no part of the Packers if both teams manage to make it to the playoffs. As Favre said even the greatest players go through bad slumps. Favre had his and now Rodgers is having his, but he's a once in a lifetime type talent and he'll return to that all world level.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still of the opinion that Rodgers issue is mental. SOMETHING is going on outside of Football that is trickling over to the field with him.

CowboysFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still of the opinion that Rodgers issue is mental. SOMETHING is going on outside of Football that is trickling over to the field with him.
Yeah I agree and Rodgers is to be completely honest is my favorite non Cowboy. When he's Aaron Rodgers he is the greatest and most exciting player in football. Dallas has had some outstanding quarterbacks throughout their history, but I would take Rodgers over any of them. Incredible, unique, and rare talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online