ok here is my new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am done reading and posting here for a while it has been mostly fun. I respect the mods rights to do what they do, but It is my right to go elsewhere when I feel that the environment is not to my taste. I know many here disagree with me and that is fine, but I have posted my views on excessive moderation in the past. It is my feeling that the Mod team wants more control than I feel is healthy for a forum to continue getting new ideas. That is their right. Since I do not agree... it s best that I go elsewhere. Have fun and go Pack!

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am done reading and posting here for a while it has been mostly fun. I respect the mods rights to do what they do, but It is my right to go elsewhere when I feel that the environment is not to my taste. I know many here disagree with me and that is fine, but I have posted my views on excessive moderation in the past. It is my feeling that the Mod team wants more control than I feel is healthy for a forum to continue getting new ideas. That is their right. Since I do not agree... it s best that I go elsewhere. Have fun and go Pack!

Happy trails, friend. Good time of the year to give football forums a break.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hurry back my friend. Your perspectives and generally good natured personality will be missed!

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Whats wrong with the environment here? Although I am new Mod here I feel my fellow Moderators show great restraint.

We dont purposefully shut down discussion until the thread gets massively derailed or other users are attacking each other.

You are a valued member here I hope you come back soon. As you wont find another fantastic Packer forum like this one.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Whats wrong with the environment here? Although I am new Mod here I feel my fellow Moderators show great restraint.

We dont purposefully shut down discussion until the thread gets massively derailed or other users are attacking each other.

You are a valued member here I hope you come back soon. As you wont find another fantastic Packer forum like this one.

I can only speak for myself, I will let the OP say what he wants to. But if you have ever watched the movie "Up", there is a character named "Dug" in it. Dug is a highly distracted dog, often times speaking and all of a sudden he gets side tracked and yells "Squirrel!". Hard to explain, if you haven't seen it.

My point is, many of us have a bit of Dug in us. We are chatting in a thread about a topic and in the natural course of events "Squirrel!" happens and many of us jump and talk about the squirrel for awhile. Now I get the mods desire to try to keep threads from getting totally derailed by not letting that conversations about squirrels shift to hunting and then gun control and then.....whatever. However, our minds do wander from subject to subject within a thread, I know mine does, but eventually we get back, but forcing us to get back, can come off as censorship to some.

I understand and appreciate a neat and tidy thread as well as a very well organized forum such as this one and I have visited others that gave me a headache within a half hour of trying to navigate. However, I do think its ok to let a squirrel or two run for awhile, eventually that squirrel disappears and the thread gets back on course. Think about a conversation you have with a friend, do you just stick to one topic or do other topics find their way into the conversation?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a mod isn't as easy as it sounds when you got your own views of the state of the Packers and other fans have wildly opposite views. I wouldn't say I've agreed with them all the time in their management of the forum, but I think for the most part they let free speech flow. As Zartan mentioned, showing restraint can be probably the biggest challenge. especially considering I'd probably struggle in that area by wanting to ban people who complain about not winning enough superbowls or this or that. Won't lie, weeding out negative content and the posters responsible for it would sound appealing, but at the same time I know that it's not good either to just force coolaid down people's throats.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He was discussing a women beater in the Eddy Lacy thread..

I posted twice to separate posters to make new thread.. It continued...

I then deleted said posts and said in the reason to make a new thread

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Being a mod isn't as easy as it sounds when you got your own views of the state of the Packers and other fans have wildly opposite views. I wouldn't say I've agreed with them all the time in their management of the forum, but I think for the most part they let free speech flow. As Zartan mentioned, showing restraint can be probably the biggest challenge. especially considering I'd probably struggle in that area by wanting to ban people who complain about not winning enough superbowls or this or that. Won't lie, weeding out negative content and the posters responsible for it would sound appealing, but at the same time I know that it's not good either to just force coolaid down people's throats.

Personally, I think a mod should be allowed to wear 2 hats and I assume they do. Hat #1, they are a Packer fan just like the rest of us and can express their views as they see fit. I don't look at a Mods view point about the Packers any different than I do a non-mods. Hat #2 is that of a Mod. Fulfilling the duties required of a mod. Which I commend the Mods for doing. Like PFCarolina said, it isn't an easy job and probably a thankless one.

That being said, I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe some mods would be more comfortable wearing those hats under 2 different names? Fan name and mod name. People don't even have to know that they are 1 in the same person. I know if I was a Mod, I would probably prefer being PokerBrat2000 the fan and being able to completely separate from that identity of who I was when I had to wear the Mod hat.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why making a new thread for a topic you want to discuss is or was an issue?

The Eddy thread had good convos going on and I didn't feel a non Packer rb with issues deserved to be in same breath.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I think a mod should be allowed to wear 2 hats and I assume they do. Hat #1, they are a Packer fan just like the rest of us and can express their views as they see fit. I don't look at a Mods view point about the Packers any different than I do a non-mods. Hat #2 is that of a Mod. Fulfilling the duties required of a mod. Which I commend the Mods for doing. Like PFCarolina said, it isn't an easy job and probably a thankless one.

That being said, I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe some mods would be more comfortable wearing those hats under 2 different names? Fan name and mod name. People don't even have to know that they are 1 in the same person. I know if I was a Mod, I would probably prefer being PokerBrat2000 the fan and being able to completely separate from that identity of who I was when I had to wear the Mod hat.
When I was mod at Farves Forum we had that..

But the posting style showed thru and posters knew what mod was what poster

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When I was mod at Farves Forum we had that..

But the posting style showed thru and posters knew what mod was what poster

I can see that happening if the Mod was posting as a fan as well. I meant you would become "Mod B" and disappear as a poster under that name and continue posting as you normally due in regards to "Fan speak" under your LTF account. The "Mod B" account would only appear when Mod action was being taken. Again, just a thought.

One comment on the whole Lacy thread thing, since I was involved. Someone brought Joe Mixon up as a guy we should draft instead of resigning Lacy. Discussion naturally turned to Mixon because of that. While Mixon's past of punching a woman could be viewed as "uncomfortable conversation" and a reason to shift back to Lacy talk, it was basically "Squirrel" and the Lacy discussion took a temporary pause but for a logical reason. While I saw and honored your reminders that if people wanted to discuss it, a new thread should be created, sometimes when discussions get "off track" they are allowed to simply because they run out of steam and naturally veer back on course. So maybe there is confusion on what constitutes steering a thread in a direction that isn't acceptable, because it happens quite frequently and in a pretty natural way.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure why making a new thread for a topic you want to discuss is or was an issue?

The Eddy thread had good convos going on and I didn't feel a non Packer rb with issues deserved to be in same breath.

I respect that. However, I think that the sheer number of threads for every little side story (Joe Mixon) inside of a big story (Lacy) would not only get enormous, they wouldn't really make sense or flow properly. For example, if I saw a thread entitled "Joe Mixon, character flaws", I probably wouldn't bother reading it and wonder why it was even being posted.

Last edited:

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
In my younger years when I was modding other forums, We would have a separate signature We would insert, when We were modding - that Way ppl always knew and could see when We were posting as mods, or just as "ourselves".

Initially We had separate accounts, but as LT pointed out, each person has his/hers "tells" so it becomes easy to spot who is who, also ppl would sometimes forget which account they were on and post wrongly ...

Having said that, I've frequented this board for several years now, and also before I became a member, and These forums are pretty much the most "laidback" Packer forum out there in my opinion, so as another said, take a breath and a break from here and get things in perspective, then come back after the summer refreshed !

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad the mods do the job they do. My only problem is that I tried to put one of them on ignore and it wouldn't let me. Annoyed me, I felt like I was on posting probation.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm glad the mods do the job they do. My only problem is that I tried to put one of them on ignore and it wouldn't let me. Annoyed me, I felt like I was on posting probation.

Not sure if that was tongue and cheek, but you do realize that if a poster could come in here and put every mod on ignore, that poster could wreak a ton of havoc?

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score

Why would you put a Mod on ignore? It blocks you from seeing their post. Also I think it blocks them from viewing your post. That would be problematic if everyone could put the mods on ignore.

This forum is pretty lax when it comes to Moderation. I seen other forums *Cough* Nexus of Hardcore Gamers *Cough* where if you were to post an elegant debate that goes against what the Mods think you are banned. Even if the post was civil you would be banned. Here there are many opinions to be had as that creates good discussion.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Aaaah yes, our bi-monthly - the mods did me wrong - thread. At least this time I wasn't the instigator --- I don't think.:rolleyes:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All about keeping an open line of communications. I would much rather have a forum like this, where people are free to talk, air grievances and possibly promote healthy change in the process and "management" is willing to talk about it. I have been associated with jobs, forums, etc. where it is "their way or the highway" and it isn't much fun.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would you put a Mod on ignore? It blocks you from seeing their post. Also I think it blocks them from viewing your post. That would be problematic if everyone could put the mods on ignore.

This forum is pretty lax when it comes to Moderation. I seen other forums *Cough* Nexus of Hardcore Gamers *Cough* where if you were to post an elegant debate that goes against what the Mods think you are banned. Even if the post was civil you would be banned. Here there are many opinions to be had as that creates good discussion.
Actually no, I didn't realize that if I put someone on ignore that they could not read my posts. I thought it was a one way setting that meant that I didn't have to see their posts.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if that was tongue and cheek, but you do realize that if a poster could come in here and put every mod on ignore, that poster could wreak a ton of havoc?
No, didn't realize that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually no, I didn't realize that if I put someone on ignore that they could not read my posts. I thought it was a one way setting that meant that I didn't have to see their posts.
If u ignore someone you can't see their stuff, but they can see yours

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To give my two cents I didn't believe the Mixon posts were off topic. It was a discussion about a potential replacement for Lacy; the subject of the thread. To me, saying who does and does not "deserve" to be discussed in a thread when it's not objectively off topic is a bit of a problem. If any other RB in the NFL or potential draft pick was discussed as a replacement for Lacy, would that content have been deleted? I doubt it.

Now if you want to say the posts about hitting women, unrelated to football were not allowed, that's another thing. But that's not what you said.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there comes a time when most things are taken for granted. we are at that point. we have become a spoiled culture and think everything should go our way despite the accommodations that are put in place for our enjoyment at no cost to us. I for one am thankful for a site I don't have to pay that has strict rules put in place so things do not get out of hand. Seeing the internet since it's beginning till now we have come far but have degraded the common sense and decency that is part of our human behavior.

with that said, I enjoy coming to this site. I have been to sites where mod was lacking and it just gets out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts