Official Studs n Duds Cinncy

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
1. How many wouldn't be when one-on-one with that much open space?
2. Not an Xs and Os guy, but wasn't he supposed to be cutting off the outside, so the cut to the inside and the rest of the D was the plan?

Lol. Nah, the kid got juked out of his shoes.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Regardless, he needs to throw to the open man regardless of the number on the jersey. If he doesn't reward his other receivers when they perform well, then it becomes harder for them to continue that level of effort and the whole offense suffers. Lazard would have had a first down around the 15 yard line IIRC (either way it was deep in Bengal territory). As for the passes that were not completed to #17, most of those were screen passes or dumps to the outlet receiver on that play. Some of Rodgers' best games have been when Adams was unable to play and he was forced to distribute.
I'm not going to advocate for Adams to not be on the Packers for Rodgers to play better. I think it is very reasonable for Rodgers to be looking Adams way with him being the arguably best WR in the league. If that does occasionally mean he misses a throw I can live with it. As suggested by others, I believe the game plan has been to get rid of the ball quickly due to the injuries on the offensive line. I'm sure Adams is usually the first read and if he is "NFL open" Rodgers is going to go there. Again, I can live with that.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodgers and adams are more than just teammates. they're buddies. and not just within the context of the packers. i'm sure rodgers is well aware that davante's last big contract is coming up - whether that is in green bay or denver or wherever - and aaron's just trying to make sure his buddy gets paid what he's worth. so whenever he has a chance, he's going to feature adams. but he doesn't get that chance every game. i suspect we will see rodgers do his best to keep adams ranked as the #1 receiver in the nfl this year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodgers and adams are more than just teammates. they're buddies. and not just within the context of the packers. i'm sure rodgers is well aware that davante's last big contract is coming up - whether that is in green bay or denver or wherever - and aaron's just trying to make sure his buddy gets paid what he's worth. so whenever he has a chance, he's going to feature adams. but he doesn't get that chance every game. i suspect we will see rodgers do his best to keep adams ranked as the #1 receiver in the nfl this year.

Not sure I'd say the "not every game thing" Adams has average more than ten targets a game for the years I looked up which dates back to 2018

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: BOTH players over 35. One couldn't make a kick with GPS implanted into the ball, and the other didn't have enough balls to put the team on his back and bail Crosby out.
Old bastards.

He subscribes to Critical Age theory. I don’t know what that is I’m just an being sarcastic. Lol
It means if you're young, you have young privilege.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually older than both of them. Thing is I KNOW when Crosby can't hit with GPS in the footballs to do everything in my power to not have to go to Crosby. Rodgers didn't...again.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Rodgers would have had to change the plays that MLF sent in. After the INT in overtime MLF was content to run the ball and settle for the FG. I was saying they needed to get aggressive and go for the TD. They ran the ball twice and tried the FG on 3rd down. That's not on Rodgers. Rodgers made some nice tosses, specifically the one to Cobb, to set them up for game winning FGs.
Rodgers has proven time and again HE WILL change the play...why did he refuse to yesterday?

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record there were quite a few of us during pre-draft discussions and when drafted that told everyone Dillon shows extremely fluid hands and looked capable in the receiving game - he was simply never asked to do so at BC. I believe @Dantés and @Pokerbrat2000 or at minimum one of them were banging that drum with me.

I totally remember, and agree -- noting that I don't follow the college game or pre-draft much at all, and not disputing your point. Just stoked that this game was really the coming out party for AJD as a receiver, so not just a good game but a STUD that opposing teams have to key on now.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you referring to Barnes? Or Smith?
Barnes is obviously aware that his role as a starter can come to an end very quickly. Not trying to be mean, just stating a fact. There is no other motivator like the new guy who has a proven track record of doing your job better. That’s a blessing if it motivates Barnes, it should.

I'm talking about Barnes! Not saying I'm betting the farm on him. (I don't have a farm.) And actually not even suggesting I expect him to be kickass on his own, necessarily -- but if he and Campbell can thump, and sniff out screens, and get in the backfield, and pick off junky throws in the middle, then they can maybe be a kickass *pair*. We'll see, but this game made me happier with the prospective ILB situation than I've been for a loooong time.

And if Jaylon Smith is any good, well **** let's pile him on our heap o'Smiths!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One thought coming out of this game-- you really cap your ceiling as a team when you draft a QB like Burrow.

He's really good, but his athletic and arm talent limitations just cap his value.

I think of recent high draft picks or recent major investments like him, Baker Mayfield, Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff, Mac Jones, Tua Tagovailoa, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Derek Carr, and I feel bad for teams. And not because they all suck-- some of those guys are super good. But in an era when a good QB's second contract is going to be in the neighborhood of 20% of the cap, guys just have to be super talented in order to return value.

You can pay absurd money to Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Chris Herbert, etc. and get value back because they're absurdly good.

In today's NFL, you're much better off passing on the high floor, low ceiling QB's and taking your shot on the high ceiling guys, even if the floor is lower.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll bite. What makes you think it isn't?
Because he hasn't been dropping passes and Rodgers has definitely had problems hitting passes down the deep middle so far this year. I too have seen quite a few receivers not named Adams running free and Rodgers threw in Adams direction instead.

So where do you stand on the subject?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he hasn't been dropping passes and Rodgers has definitely had problems hitting passes down the deep middle so far this year. I too have seen quite a few receivers not named Adams running free and Rodgers threw in Adams direction instead.

Green Bay has not gotten the production out of the TE position this year the way they did last year. I don't know who's fault it is, or much care, but I do hope they can get this fixed.

I will say that Tonyan seemed to get more separation last year than he has this year, but that might just be my perception. Deguara seems to make mental mistakes. Big Dog is an old dog, but he led all Packer TE's against the Bengals with two catches.

This has been a disappointment thus far.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just something to keep an eye on... Denver needs a QB & stud WR in '22... and they have over $76Mil cap space. Sure, Denver has other needs, also, but there are plenty of options for AR/Adams duo to be in '22 (Denver, WFT, Colts, Raiders).
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is Pittsburgh who they leave together to go to.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dante's
In the Bengals defense Burrows was very athletic before the injury last year.

Krabs

Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised by the Rodgers to Adams complaints by some. I understand that Rodgers does miss some guys once in awhile. I'm not going to argue that. I would argue that every QB misses throws and if you have one on one coverage with the best WR in the league he should be looking that way. I'm not buying the "buddy" argument and Rodgers trying to get him a contract. The Rodgers to Adams connection has been there for several years and through existing contracts. I think it is odd that people are concerned about an awesome performance by Adams. I constantly wonder how teams can't stop him. I think that is a good thing guys.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay has not gotten the production out of the TE position this year the way they did last year. I don't know who's fault it is, or much care, but I do hope they can get this fixed.

I will say that Tonyan seemed to get more separation last year than he has this year, but that might just be my perception. Deguara seems to make mental mistakes. Big Dog is an old dog, but he led all Packer TE's against the Bengals with two catches.

This has been a disappointment thus far.
Tonyan has been asked to do much more blocking at the LOS to help Nijman. Once the o line gets healthier, Tonyan will be a weapon again. Same for Jones out of the backfield. He's doing much more blocking. If Adam's doesn't have monster games, the offense can be lethargic with the current o line. Add Bakhtiari and Jenkins vack in the mix and the offense will open up again.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised by the Rodgers to Adams complaints by some. I understand that Rodgers does miss some guys once in awhile. I'm not going to argue that. I would argue that every QB misses throws and if you have one on one coverage with the best WR in the league he should be looking that way. I'm not buying the "buddy" argument and Rodgers trying to get him a contract. The Rodgers to Adams connection has been there for several years and through existing contracts. I think it is odd that people are concerned about an awesome performance by Adams. I constantly wonder how teams can't stop him. I think that is a good thing guys.
Agree. Most importantly, take what the defense gives you. We've got enough proven bonafide weapons that no defense can consistently cover everyone of them.

Krabs

Reaction score
Tonyan has been asked to do much more blocking at the LOS to help Nijman. Once the o line gets healthier, Tonyan will be a weapon again. Same for Jones out of the backfield. He's doing much more blocking. If Adam's doesn't have monster games, the offense can be lethargic with the current o line. Add Bakhtiari and Jenkins vack in the mix and the offense will open up again.
This echoes what I heard on the radio this morning and totally agree with it. I saw one specific play last week where Tonyan went to block and help chip the LB. He's not a great blocker to begin with and ended up on the ground. He did the job blocking, but we taken out of the play.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not enough of football expert to know (or, to be honest, to care). Just always get a little annoyed when the reaction to so-and-so isn't as good as we thought/he was is that it's not his fault. He may not be dropping passes, which I don't think was the point, but maybe he's not getting the separation necessary, either. We all know that AR homes in on his favorites, but maybe Tonyan surprised everyone last year, and the opposition has caught up to him. Just would have preferred a reply along the lines of "it's not his fault because..."

Krabs

Reaction score
We all know that AR homes in on his favorites, but maybe Tonyan surprised everyone last year, and the opposition has caught up to him. Just would have preferred a reply along the lines of "it's not his fault because..."
First, Rodgers has favorites because they make plays. Tonyan is not a #1 target. He is a secondary option, unless they draw up a specific play for him. With the player that Adams is it should be no surprise to anyone that he is Rodgers favorite target.

I also don't think it is Tonyan's fault and I will give you a because. Because he is a complimentary player that gets called upon when Adams, Jones, or even Dillion are being taken away by the defense. Currently, the opponents are not taking Adams or the RB's away and Tonyan's output is suffering because of it. Also, as it has already been mentioned, due to the injuries on the OL he is being asked to stay and block more.

That is my take on the lack of production from Tonyan.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi would be more thrilled at the blocking than the catching.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts