Official Packers vs Rams thread

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello everyone! First time post but life long Packer fan of 27 years, or 20 years if you don't count the 7 years of being too young to truly understand why I was cheering for a team. With that being said....

I think this will be a very good and tough game this coming Sunday, but I do firmly believe that Green Bay will come out on top. Other then Green Bays Oline vs the Rams Dline, the Pack matches up pretty well in my opinion. Even without Nelson or Adams, I like green Bays receiver matchup against the Rams. Same with the secondary against the Rams receivers. Austin might pose a threat but if Green Bay can contain the run and limit the play action, he shouldn't be too much of a problem. And with the way the Packers run defense has been paying the last few weeks, I don't think they should have too much to worry about the backfield.

And before someone says the name Gurley, I am still not sold on him yet. I want to see more then one quarter of great play before I believe the hype people are giving him. This is not to take away from his great game last Sunday, I just want to see more great performances from him before calling him the next up and coming. Great young athlete though and I am excited to see what he can do in the NFL, just not this week against the Pack. :)

This will be a good game though and a fun one to watch. Can't wait till this Sunday!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello everyone! First time post but life long Packer fan of 27 years, or 20 years if you don't count the 7 years of being too young to truly understand why I was cheering for a team. With that being said....

I think this will be a very good and tough game this coming Sunday, but I do firmly believe that Green Bay will come out on top. Other then Green Bays Oline vs the Rams Dline, the Pack matches up pretty well in my opinion. Even without Nelson or Adams, I like green Bays receiver matchup against the Rams. Same with the secondary against the Rams receivers. Austin might pose a threat but if Green Bay can contain the run and limit the play action, he shouldn't be too much of a problem. And with the way the Packers run defense has been paying the last few weeks, I don't think they should have too much to worry about the backfield.

And before someone says the name Gurley, I am still not sold on him yet. I want to see more then one quarter of great play before I believe the hype people are giving him. This is not to take away from his great game last Sunday, I just want to see more great performances from him before calling him the next up and coming. Great young athlete though and I am excited to see what he can do in the NFL, just not this week against the Pack. :)

This will be a good game though and a fun one to watch. Can't wait till this Sunday!
Welcome!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
To the ram fans

How many full packet games have you seen this year?

Did you know our interior line is described as one of, or the best in the nfl by numerous so called experts

Our weakness on offense is right tackle...if he holds up or they give him help and it works, we should be able to score more than enough.
Thanks for the compliment. I may be a homer, but I try to temper it with reality and see it with my own eyes.

They don't call it the Lombardi Trophy for nothing. Do you think best coach ever? It's a solid argument.

I envy you and I hate the GB string of HOF QBs while we dumpster dove after Warner and Bulger.

I moved to STL in 1997 and dropped my old team, the Saints, and embraced the Rams when they were a joke. It paid off fast. Greatest Show on Turf, if that's the best the Rams ever play, it was a payoff I'll never forget. My WIFE was insisting we go to the victory parade.

Love me some football and have followed GB from afar since I became a fan. Right about now I wish Rams were publicly owned.

Sitton? Well, he's 29 and about to face what may be the best D line he's ever faced. I know, it's Sitton, but this line is for real. Their name is the Mob Squad, and they earned it.

When we were in the SB vs Pitt, we were told very very similar things

Just saying

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that the Rams have a very good DL, they have me a bit worried too, but it's not as if GB hasn't faced good DL's before and had success. I think both tackles are weak links and I think our offense is capable of covering that up enough to be effective in the run and pass. I think our Defense is pretty good too. I expect a good game, and the Rams deserves some respect, but it's not as if they have super humans playing that nobody has ever seen the likes of before.

D

Deleted member 6794

All stats lacking the eyeball test. Almost no one is punting to TA. He has 5 returns this season and 2 games with zero. The returns he does have after the opening game are mostly bouncing balls. He is averaging 25 yards per return. I hope GB punts to him, we need it.

Austin is a dangerous threat returning punts but aside of three long ones returned for TDs during his career he is averaging 7.7 yards on his other 70 attempts. The Packers punt returner, Micah Hyde, has three punt return TDs during his career as well on only 45 attempts.

I agree, Zuerlein hasn't been great for a few patches of his career. However, he's the best long ball kicker you may ever see. If you go to the game, don't miss him in warmups. You'll see kicks you probably didn't think were possible. I have no doubt he will break the longest FG record in his career. Like I said, he practises from the 65 and nails them. He has also nailed 75 yards many times. Also, this season, he hasn't missed any FGs.

I really don´t care what Zuerlein is capable of doing in warmups, Crosby makes kicks like that pregame without any rush as well. Zuerlein´s career long FG outdoors is 56 yards and as I´ve said before he has been less than stellar outdoors.

This is cherry picking with no context. TA has rarely had a starting caliber QB. He also had an OC who just wouldn't give him the ball. Since the change of QB and OC, he's exploding. No one wants to count the yards gained from the short punts, but they change the field position game. He has 6 receptions for 96 yards and 2 TDs. He has 10 rushes for 77 yards and a TD. His average PR this season is 25 yards and 1 TD.

Austin has 14 receptions for 138 yards and 2 TDs so far this season which doesn´t rank in the top 40 in any category. The Packers have faced better receivers this season and have done fine so forget me if I´m not that worried about him.

Gurley has one start. I will not anoint him anything yet. According to college fans who followed his career, he isn't near full speed yet. But DAMN he looked good the second half.

Mason and Cunningham have had struggles. Mason was out injured and played injured. Cunningham is a better receiving back and a short yardage bowling ball. If you look at last season you will get a better picture. are they scary behind a new o line and two rookies? Nope. But they can be good when the line gels.

As I´ve said before I think Gurley will turn out to be an elite running back in the NFL. Mason and Cunningham are just guys though.

The Rams allowed 2 offensive TDs between Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Arizona. Two. That's pretty good, yes?

Washington was a nightmare but the rest of the games speak for themselves.

Rams create TOs, they don't wait for them. They put their helmets on balls. They pull the balls out. They knock a guy senseless so he coughs it up. We aren't counting on Rodgers, we're counting on the Rams defense.

The Rams have giving up only six offensive TDs so far being tied for second fewest in the league, no doubt that´s pretty good. Wanna guess who´s #1??? That would be the Seahawks with five, two of them against the Packers at Lambeau.

I hear that every week. And every week fans come back and tell me they were mistaken. Rams are deep in offensive talent and it's not even all on the field yet. I get it, stats don't agree, W/L doesn't agree, but this isn't last season's offense. If you think Foles, Austin, Jenkins, and Gurley are average, you may have an unrealistic standard.:whistling:

As I´ve posted earlier the Rams have the best defensive line in the league and are an average team at all other positions. I appreciate your support of your team but you tend to ignore weaknesses on your team which are clearly there.

Nothing's a gimme, but realize that the Packers' interior is outstanding: Sitton is Pro-bowl at RG, Linsley at C was a serious contender for ROY and looks even better in his 2nd year, and TJ Lang is very solid at LG. As a unit they are the anchor of this OL and they have shown that they can handle the best of them on the other side of the ball.

Sitton moved to left guard before the 2013 season with Lang switching to the right side.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rams secondary is average IMO. If they don't get consistent pressure on Arod, its over and it'll get ugly fast. Rams O cannot score enough against us if our O is rolling.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We watch both of those teams. One being our nemesis and the other our brother of a different mother.

Those D lines are not ours. Not even close. Tier 1 vs Tier 3. Seriously. 17 sacks so far against 3/4 top offenses like GB. Well, not like GB, but top 10 in the NFL. 6 sacks on Wilson.

Tier 1 versus tier 3? Yep those Chiefs only have bums like Tamba Hali Justin Houston and Dontari Poe on their defensive front. Oh and we've also produced 17 sacks thus far this season.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a misnomer. Rams play bend but don't break defense. If you look at their rankings, you will not grasp the real picture. You can take small gains all day long. Lots of yards. Lots of plays. Then try to score in the redzone. It's tough. 5 TDs all season against their D.

By the way, the Rams have also taken 6 sacks all season. They handed out 17.

To beat the Packers you need to force three and outs, hold the run game to small gainers on first and second down and bring the rush on 3rd down. The trouble is that while Eddie Lacy might not be an explosive back he is one of the most physical in the game. He doesn't break tackles as violently as Marshawn Lynch, but he's harder to bring down and he's running behind an O-line that run blocks a lot better than Seattle's. You give him 3 yards of space and he'll take 5-6 yards, and he'll do it all game long.

I respect your team, but you have been a been reductive in your analysis.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been a very entertaining thread. I've always enjoyed having opponents fan join our forum leading up to games (with the exception of 49ers and Seahawks disrespectful fans). What I'm seeing out of the two Rams posters here is a lot of faith in their team, something that has been lacking for a while in St. Louis. It's great to see. However, when some of the homerism gets down to how their third string TE will "mess up anyone in front of him" I start to doubt the objectiveness. There is a lot of talk about potential, and every team has it. The beauty of the NFL is that it's a "now" game and the Packers are doing it now and have been. They aren't the washed up old guard, they are the team to be. Good luck.

It's all still good popcorn...

LA Champ

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the ram fans

How many full packet games have you seen this year?

Did you know our interior line is described as one of, or the best in the nfl by numerous so called experts

Our weakness on offense is right tackle...if he holds up or they give him help and it works, we should be able to score more than enough.

When we were in the SB vs Pitt, we were told very very similar things

Just saying
I just watched the whole 9er game...I'm sure I've seen another one (opening night?)....They can be beaten...There are weaknesses...in other places besides RT...I'm gonna enjoy seeing Donald & Brockers & Fairley & Westbrooks against your interior line...Should be interesting...

LA Champ

Cheesehead
Reaction score
before someone says the name Gurley, I am still not sold on him yet.
Gurley, Gurley, gurley...why wasn't I supposed to say Gurley? Some guys just have it....If you have to SEE more, check him out Sunday...You could tell Gurley had it in College...You can tell Gurley has it in the pros...last Sunday.

To beat the Packers you need to force three and outs
Agreed..Not a fan of bendy no breaky....Fisher has said as much in pressers too..I expect some 3 and outs...against the great Aaron Rodgers...missing a few great wrs of course...Cobb isn't 100%

However, when some of the homerism gets down to how their third string TE will "mess up anyone in front of him" I start to doubt the objectiveness.
I once saw Corey Harkey in person...a truely MASSIVE man...played pop warner with his cousin (RIP)....he's gonna give you 100%....no better player to have....

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict this game is won in the first half. They don't have the secondary to cover our pass catchers, or the offense to keep up with ours in lambeau. As many "big names" as they have on their defensive line, our D line has performed better than theirs thus far imo.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough matchup. I think it's close till the end, something like 23-20, with the Packers holding on in the end.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gurley, Gurley, gurley...why wasn't I supposed to say Gurley? Some guys just have it....If you have to SEE more, check him out Sunday...You could tell Gurley had it in College...You can tell Gurley has it in the pros...last Sunday.

Agreed..Not a fan of bendy no breaky....Fisher has said as much in pressers too..I expect some 3 and outs...against the great Aaron Rodgers...missing a few great wrs of course...Cobb isn't 100%

I once saw Corey Harkey in person...a truely MASSIVE man...played pop warner with his cousin (RIP)....he's gonna give you 100%....no better player to have....

Here's my take, if the Packers commit to the run Green Bay by 10. If you're able to get good pressure around the edges and fluster Aaron Rodgers GB may abandon the run and double down on a failing passing game. Your primary defensive weakness is an undersized defensive front, Green Bay needs to attack this with a very good interior Oline, good run blocking RT and a very good running back. If Green Bay abandons the run STL by 3.

EDIT: The weak point of the MM era in GB has been a maddening tendency to double down on the passing game when it's not working. We've had too many losses in games where the opposing D was daring us to run with only 6 guys in the box and we'd run a pass pass pass punt offense. KC back in 2011 and Buffalo in 2014 are prime examples. Against Buffalo Aaron Rodgers went 17 out of 42 with 2 picks. Meanwhile Eddie Lacy put up 97 yards on 15 rushes. Why the Packers didn't lean on Eddie Lacy and feed him the ball 20-25 times the World wonders. It was a similar story back in 2011, Aaron Rodgers was mediocre in that game while Ryan Grant managed a 5.5 ypc on only 12 carries.

Those are the most blatant examples but in mind the Packers biggest weakness is a hard headed stubborn refusal to adjust offensively in game. If things aren't working we'll stick with what isn't working and lose low scoring affairs that we should win.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Gurly, I think he's good and will be better. But Marshawn, Charles, and Hyde aren't exactly trent Richardsons. They're pretty good too.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno. I think the Rams are a good team and one to watch but the Packers seriously tend to just roll over everybody at Lambeau. In STL I might pick us to lose but I don't think there's a team in the league I'd be worried or even concerned about comming into Lambeau that doesn't have Tom Brady playing QB for them

D

Deleted member 6794

Your primary defensive weakness is an undersized defensive front, Green Bay needs to attack this with a very good interior Oline, good run blocking RT and a very good running back. If Green Bay abandons the run STL by 3.

With Bulaga most likely not playing this week the Packers don't have a good run blocking tackle.

The weak point of the MM era in GB has been a maddening tendency to double down on the passing game when it's not working. We've had too many losses in games where the opposing D was daring us to run with only 6 guys in the box and we'd run a pass pass pass punt offense. KC back in 2011 and Buffalo in 2014 are prime examples. Against Buffalo Aaron Rodgers went 17 out of 42 with 2 picks. Meanwhile Eddie Lacy put up 97 yards on 15 rushes. Why the Packers didn't lean on Eddie Lacy and feed him the ball 20-25 times the World wonders. It was a similar story back in 2011, Aaron Rodgers was mediocre in that game while Ryan Grant managed a 5.5 ypc on only 12 carries.

Those are the most blatant examples but in mind the Packers biggest weakness is a hard headed stubborn refusal to adjust offensively in game. If things aren't working we'll stick with what isn't working and lose low scoring affairs that we should win.

The offense has looked different with Clements calling the plays. There's hope they won't absndon the run anymore if the unit struggles.

D

Deleted member 6794

Davante Adams, Morgan Burnett and Jake Ryan not practicing today. Bryan Bulaga is participating.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This game reminds me a bit of the Chiefs game. At home, against a hard nosed defense (although the Chiefs have yet to prove that), a running back that could do some major damage and a so so offensive line and QB. I think the Rams D is much better then the Chiefs and they will be gunning for AR and giving up some yards to Eddie and Starks. The Packers offense is going to get some points, but less then what they scored against the Chiefs.

The key to the game IMO is our defense and turnovers. If we can contain both Gurley and Tavon Austin. we should get a good number of sacks, a few turnovers and win this one. 24-16

D

Deleted member 6794

Bryan Bulaga and James Jones (hamstring) were limited in practice today.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
They don't call it the Lombardi Trophy for nothing. Do you think best coach ever? It's a solid argument.
Yes, best ever – even as I try to be as objective as I can be I think the evidence backs that up. He resurrected the “Siberia of the NFL” in one season, lost his first championship game the next year and vowed never to lose in the playoffs again. Of course he didn’t and the result was 5 titles in 7 years. But that’s pretty well known. Here’s something you may not know that indicates to me what a great coach he was. As a young man in his mid-20s he was hired as a teacher and assistant football coach at St. Cecelia High School, his alma mater. Their basketball coach had left so he was offered that job as well. It was his first head coaching job but he had never played or coached basketball. As the story goes, he went to the library and checked out every book he could find on the subject. In his six years as coach, his winning percentage in basketball at the high school was about 65% and he led the team to a state championship. IMO Lombardi was a master psychologist and that was his greatest attribute as HC. You can see it in the comments of his former players - even his earliest ones.
Sitton? Well, he's 29 and about to face what may be the best D line he's ever faced. I know, it's Sitton, but this line is for real. Their name is the Mob Squad, and they earned it.
I think it was Suh who called Sitton the toughest player he's had to go against. While Suh is IMO a crappy human being, he is one hellofa football player.

BTW, why do you keep bringing up the Mod Squad?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Oh wait... it's the Mob Squad. ;)

Ramhusker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You Packer fans seem to be a fair lot. And I hope you see us Rams fans in the same light. With that being said, WE ARE GOING TO MAKE IT RAIN in your house this week! It's no fun if we can't talk a little smack. ;)

I never predict a loss for my team, no matter the opponent or the situation, so I say Rams 23, Packers 20 in a shocker as AR throws his first INT at home in a very long time. I'll shut up now.:speechless:

Brian Demarest

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And with the way the Packers run defense has been paying the last few weeks, I don't think they should have too much to worry about the backfield.

I think you may be overestimating what shutting down Hyde and Lynch while giving Charles 3 TDs and Forte 141 yards and a TD may be telling you. You are correct, Gurley is still an unknown, but his upside is huge. He loses the brace this week for the first time we think. He says it was slowing him down.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you may be overestimating what shutting down Hyde and Lynch while giving Charles 3 TDs and Forte 141 yards and a TD may be telling you. You are correct, Gurley is still an unknown, but his upside is huge. He loses the brace this week for the first time we think. He says it was slowing him down.

Gurley has played one great half of NFL football. There's no reason to put him above Lynch, Charles or Forte as of now.

Members online

Latest posts