OFFICIAL Packers VS Lions - The Matt Flynn Game

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
This is a lot of smack talking for a glorified preseason game.

Spot on. This is exactly what I expect this weekend. The list of starters not playing and possibly not playing or only playing short time keeps getting longer and longer every day.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yesterday’s jsonline “notes” tells us Rodgers may not play at all and McCarthy’s comments at his press conference infer the same. We know Jennings, Cobb, Bulaga, and Starks won’t play. Matthews and Woodson are both “questionable” which indicates to me they won’t play either (each would be probable if this game meant anything at all). The article notes there are 5 healthy CBs and 5 healthy LBs without those two. If Rodgers doesn’t take a snap, this game won’t even match the usual roster for a preseason game.

Pickett will play but I’ll be surprised if he takes a snap after halftime. The most interesting part of this game for me will be watching:
Chad Clifton, who has sat out 11 weeks due to injury, might start at left tackle with Marshall Newhouse moving to the right side. T.J. Lang, the right tackle last week, split practice time there and at left guard this week. "They haven't set a rotation for us yet, if there's going to be one," said Lang. "I have no idea." Untested players such as safety M.D. Jennings, guard Ray Dominguez, tackle Herb Taylor, linebackers Jamari Lattimore and Vic So'oto, running back Brandon Saine, tight end Ryan Taylor and quarterback Graham Harrell could play more than they have all season.
LINK

As long as the Packers suffer no injuries, I don’t care at all who wins the game. As Desmond Bishop is quoted as saying in the article, “Nothing really will matter," said Bishop. "The playoffs are a whole new season."

I enjoy a civil “back and forth” with fans of opposing teams as long as they act as guests in this forum. So to answer one such fan: Iron Lion, it looks like Clifton can finally play Sunday but whether or not he can get up to game speed is a question that won’t be answered at least until Sunday and probably won’t be fully answered until two weeks later. Newhouse isn’t a sure thing but he’s got a chance to be.

As to another Lions fan, I suggest you step back and consider the contrast between your team and ours. The last time your team was relevant was in the 1950s. Since then our team has won seven NFL titles. Seven. Your team hasn't even appeared in a single title game over that period of time. Our team is arguably the most storied in the NFL. The greatest coach in the history of the league coached our team; became a legend in Green Bay and the championship trophy bears his name. For the last half century, your team has just filled up opponents’ schedules. So, mister “I'm a walking dictionary”, here’s another word for you to look up: Perspective.

Also consider you have come into our forum and chirped about a meaningless game for our team. The reason it’s meaningless doesn’t appear in your dictionary so I’ll spell it out: It’s meaningless for us because we have secured home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Unlike your team, absolutely nothing changes for us, no matter the outcome of this game. One last word for you to look up: Irony. It relates to you typing, “this is the I-N-T-E-R-N-E-T, where people of all kinds type all kinds of things”.

djohn111

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New to the forum.

Anybody know how to get the Packer/Lions game on tv in Chicago tomorrow

Barrysghost

Un-catchable
Reaction score
You're all very eloquent with your insults, I'll give you that. A few of those actually had me laughing. "Detroit Worms", lol. Thats good. Kind of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation for me. I can a) cheer for a winner with a past full of glory and be labeled a bandwagoner, or a fair-weather fan, OR b) stick with the team I've backed for 20 years and hear the insults that come with that. I've been a Lion fan long enough to be desensitized to those insults though, and can even find the humor in them. It'll be that much sweeter upon victory, you know?

Last I checked, weather predictions for Sunday were for temps in the low 30s with snow flurries. Should be a fun game to play, and I predict that (for a change) it will be a low scoring game. With colder conditions, QB's usually have a harder time throwing the ball. Both teams will probably rely more on the run game, and with Detroit having the better defense, I predict Lions win 17-7 (or 17-10).

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Why so much trash talk for a meaningless game?

Even if GB plays their starters, this game means nothing to me, it actually will be a mistake to play the starters since we're not knocking anyone out of the playoff picture (I really doubt they care if Detroit plays New Orleans or Dallas/NY for the matter of a seed), and we have the Number 1 seed, why this game matters to the Packers is really a mystery.

Barrysghost

Un-catchable
Reaction score
Why so much trash talk for a meaningless game?

Even if GB plays their starters, this game means nothing to me, it actually will be a mistake to play the starters since we're not knocking anyone out of the playoff picture (I really doubt they care if Detroit plays New Orleans or Dallas/NY for the matter of a seed), and we have the Number 1 seed, why this game matters to the Packers is really a mystery.

I agree with you from your side. I actually think that (if Detroit wins), the Lions will be the first team GB faces in the playoffs. It would be wise for the Packers to rest starters, not only to ensure better health, but also to deprive the Lions a chance to gain any further knowledge / practice that would help them out in a third meeting. I imagine it would be scary if (hypothetically, I'm not trying to trash talk with this) the Lions beat the Packer starters on Sunday, then the very next GB game is a rematch against a hot (5 win streak) Detroit team that just beat them 2 weeks back. If the starters rest, it truly becomes a pre-season type game, and a rematch then becomes the "real" game, for all the marbles with Rogers on the field vs Stafford. ALTHOUGH, if the Packers win this next game, they may never see the Lions again this season, as Detroit would have to go through NO and SF to rematch Green Bay.

From the Lions side, this game is important for better seeding, and Detroit will be looking to win.

Happy New Year cheeseheads

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I think there is sound reasoning in much of what you say. I have taken heat in other posts for it, but I want the Pack to play to win because I want it to be we who are on the hot streak. Also, as you say, we may not likely face the Lions if we win since they will have a potentially tougher road to Lambeau. If we are going to play the starters though I would want a game plan that would allow them to win. If MM is not going to game plan to win then I don't think he should start the starters. I am not, however, advocating that he tip his hand to any "wrinkles" he and the coaching staff may have come up with for the playoffs; just that he have a good enough game plan to give them a chance to win.
Also, I would sit the starters once the game gets "out of hand" either way. No sense risking injuries if we are losing anyway or if we are in good position to win.

Barrysghost

Un-catchable
Reaction score
Most of this reasoning is why I'm confident Detroit wins tommorrow. I don't see Green Bay coming into this game willing to take risks to win when they have nothing to gain. More likely (I read too much Art of War) Green Bay plays their 2nd string, and closely analyzes every play made by Detroit. Although they will take a loss, it is an excellent opportunity for the Packers to prepare for the playoff game against the Lions, and to give Detroit a false sense of confidence. GB does not have this opportunity if they play the Falcons, so it is actually (from a strategy angle) better for the Pack to take a loss (as wierd as that sounds). There is zero risk and potential reward by sitting Rogers after the first quarter, especially if the backups happen to pull out a win.

ozbuc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tomorrows game is irrelevant but those Packer fans who bought tickets and will be attending the game deserve a game. That said I would guess they would also understand why we will be sitting the starters and walking wounded.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you all see this that Golden Tate tweeted?

"I wouldn't play Aaron Rodgers this Sunday," Tate tweeted on Friday. "Simply because if Suh gets to him, he literally might try to end his career. #hesdangerous"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...er-to-advise-pack-to-sit-rodgers-vs-suh-lions

Yeah I read that. I thought it was a seriously exaggerated statement by Tate. If Suh gets out of line the refs are gonna be on him in a flash. I'm pretty sure Suh realizes that and he'd rather not be barred from the Lions' wildcard round game.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Did you all see this that Golden Tate tweeted?

"I wouldn't play Aaron Rodgers this Sunday," Tate tweeted on Friday. "Simply because if Suh gets to him, he literally might try to end his career. #hesdangerous"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...er-to-advise-pack-to-sit-rodgers-vs-suh-lions

It seems to me that part of the reason Suh was frustrated in that first game was because he wasn't getting to the QB. I was rather surprised at how well EDS was handling him.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of just the defense, the starters have played like crap so we don't have much to lose with the second and third stringers in there.

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I guess the Lions are going to get their first win in Wisconsin since 1991 and the 5th seed. This game could get ugly.

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brees will get the MVP by default. If he catches Rodgers in TD passes I believe that will push him over the top in the voters minds. Oh well, not a big deal, we'll take a Super Bowl win any day over MVP honors.

That being said, it would be pretty cool to see the Packers smack down the Lions with our backups and finish 15-1. I think sitting Rodgers today is a good decision. It proves that the team is more focused on the grand prize rather than individual honors. It would be a tragedy if Rodgers was to sustain an injury in a meaningless game.

Looking forward to seeing Clifton and possibly Pickett get some time today to shake off the rust.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you say Brees will win MVP by default? What does that even mean? So youre saying because Rodgers was shut down by the coaching staff, that automatically makes Brees the MVP? What if Rodgers did play today, whos the MVP then?

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the inactive list for the Packers today:

OL Bryan Bulaga
WR Randall Cobb
RB James Starks
WR Greg Jennings
CB Charles Woodson
QB Aaron Rodgers
LB Clay Matthews

I actually think Woodson and Matthews are going to be missed today more than Aaron. The defense has been by far the weakest link of this team and taking our two best players off the unit really hurts.

Barrysghost

Un-catchable
Reaction score
Packers announced that they aren't even going to suit up their starters today. It seems that strategy won out. The real game between Detroit and Green Bay will be in 2 weeks.

Members online

Latest posts