Official Packers vs Jets discussion

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The JS's coverage of the packers is amazing, few beat writers can compare. GBPG deserves credit too, we are really spoiled as far as coverage goes. A few other national guys do a great job and stand out but man are we lucky

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from Peter King

Bryan Bulaga, right tackle, Green Bay (No. 75). Everyone looks at Jets-Packers and thinks one word: walkover. I don’t. The Jets are a top-three defensive front, and when Bulaga was lost in the season opener at Seattle, the Seahawks totally embarrassed the right side of the Green Bay line. So … what will happen Sunday when Bulaga, who is expected to play despite a strained knee ligament, faces off against one of the underrated defensive players in football, Muhammed Wilkerson? Bulaga would have to be 100 percent to have a good chance to win this battle, and because he isn’t—Bulaga has been shaky in practice this week, but is almost certain to play—Aaron Rodgers is probably going to be thinking of extra protection to his right Sunday, and getting the ball out quicker than he’d like. If Bulaga struggles, this has a very good chance to be a down-to-the-wire game.

NYJetsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no point in waffling.

This is the Jets, led by Geno Smith, at Lambeau, in good weather. This is the Jets, a team that squeaked by a flawed Raiders team with a rookie QB taking his first snaps.

If the Packers don't beat these guys, then who?
I don't think this is too unfair but saying the Jets squeaked by a flawed Raiders team is probably a little over simplified. The Jets really controlled that game for the most part and the Raiders hit us up for a great catch for a TD to bring it within a score at the end.

The score was never far apart, which is obviously the most important part, but the game was clearly dominated by the Jets if you watched it. I think the stat line would probably tell a similar story.

I think the Packers will probably win this game but the Jets running game could be a problem for the Pack if the score stays close.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dee Milliner listed as probable for the Jets, their CB situation just improved significantly.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think this is too unfair but saying the Jets squeaked by a flawed Raiders team is probably a little over simplified. The Jets really controlled that game for the most part and the Raiders hit us up for a great catch for a TD to bring it within a score at the end.

The score was never far apart, which is obviously the most important part, but the game was clearly dominated by the Jets if you watched it. I think the stat line would probably tell a similar story.

I think the Packers will probably win this game but the Jets running game could be a problem for the Pack if the score stays close.
The point being, if the Packers are to be contenders for another playoff birth, this is a game they need to win.

I checked in on a bit of the Raiders/Jets game during commercial breaks in the Bills game. It was a ragged affair from what I saw. I did catch Woodson jump that route for the pick...like old times.

Excluding Ivory's 71 yarder, the Jets ran 33 times for 141 yds, for a 4.3 yd. average. While quite decent, that's hardly fear inspiring.

JetLifeLo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no point in waffling.

This is the Jets, led by Geno Smith, at Lambeau, in good weather. This is the Jets, a team that squeaked by a flawed Raiders team with a rookie QB taking his first snaps.

If the Packers don't beat these guys, then who?

we didn't "squeak" by the raiders we really whooped them in all aspects of the game. Go on NFL.com right now and check team stats.. we're on top in everything except Passing & Receiving. They scored in garbage time on us for their only pass to go more than 15 yards the whole game. But who cares that's the raiders.. watch my boys dominate the trenches this game. BTW Geno Smith went head to head and beat Brady and Brees last year with practice squad WR's. Just hope that weak o-line & d-line doesn't turn y'all into this year Falcons of last year.. just sayin.

JetLifeLo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this game could be a bellwhether as to what kind of team this year's Packers will be. Obviously a loss will set off alarm bells. A close, struggling win will be worrisome. A clear-cut decisive victory will put the Pack back on the short list of championship contenders.

I don't get this. If you guys lose it will set off alarms.. in other words saying if you guys lose to a bad team then it's time to panic. But if you beat them.. your super bowl contenders? in other words saying beating the jets would really be a big statement to the NFL and would solidify that you guys are a true threat? lol

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
JLL, I think what he believes that the feces will hit the oscillator in Packerland if the Pack don't run away with this game. Just my humble "old guy" opinion, but I think a lot of the younger guys here have an unreasonably high opinion of this Packers' team.

Watching your team get its collective *** handed to them by a clearly superior team (Seattle) will kick the "we better rebound in a decisive manner" talk into high gear. Not only on fan forums, but in the national media as well. Listening to some of those guys...it is plainly evident that they don't take the time to break down games, they just read what the local media have to say and parrot that.

I for one, think that this will be a close game that can swing either way for one reason and one reason alone ... the Pack's defense is complete and utter "cluster". That alone will keep the game close. Again, just the opinion of an old guy, a long time Packers' fan who hasn't seen a REAL defense since Fritz Shurmur was here in the mid-90's. In case you can't tell, today's NFL version of Arena football grinds my beans. :)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get this. If you guys lose it will set off alarms.. in other words saying if you guys lose to a bad team then it's time to panic. But if you beat them.. your super bowl contenders? in other words saying beating the jets would really be a big statement to the NFL and would solidify that you guys are a true threat? lol

Kicking the Jets **** isn't going to make the Packers an instant SB contender again. I think too many folks here are underestimating the Jets. No, the Jets are not Seattle but that doesnt mean they're a joke. Ivory and Johnson will test the Packers' anemic run defense as will the Jets' stingy defense. If the Jets come in and play well and the Packers show some improvement at a) ILB where they have sucked, b) stopping the run, c) playing aggressively on offense FFS with a respectable performance from the OL, then we can talk about playoffs and stuff like that.

Just beating the Jets is a first step. I'll be happy enough with that.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

we didn't "squeak" by the raiders we really whooped them in all aspects of the game. Go on NFL.com right now and check team stats.. we're on top in everything except Passing & Receiving. They scored in garbage time on us for their only pass to go more than 15 yards the whole game. But who cares that's the raiders.. watch my boys dominate the trenches this game. BTW Geno Smith went head to head and beat Brady and Brees last year with practice squad WR's. Just hope that weak o-line & d-line doesn't turn y'all into this year Falcons of last year.. just sayin.
I'm aware of the stats. For instance, a less than impressive 5-12 on third down and losing the turnover battle 0-2 kept the game close. The Jets had a 6 point lead at the end of the third quarter against a largely inept offense with a QB taking his first NFL snaps. That's squeeky. It took a 71 yard run, which is a fluke event by any player against any team, to provide the cushion. It does say they've yet to prove they're more than an 8-8ish team...like the 8-8 team of last season that beat NE and NO at home.

As far as having team strengths at D-Line and RB one needs look no further than the Bills of recent years to see that's clearly not sufficient.

This is not to say the Jets are a bad team or that they cannot win this game. It is saying this is the kind of team the Packers should beat at home to maintain contender status.

I'll be interested to see how Smith handles the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink looks he's likely to get and what I would expect to be a variety of blitzes. This is the late game in the Buffalo market, so I'll get to see the game live.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm cautiously optimistic that we are going to win.
I wish I could feel that it's more of a sure thing with our team.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Michael Vick was playing, I wouldn't feel bad at all for him if he left the game on a stretcher.
Not that I wish for any player to leave that way but I wouldn't be worried at all for him like I am for other opponents on other teams.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Came across and interesting article that goes into great detail just how important wins in September and October can be in leveraging for a playoff spot.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...o-go-andrew-luck-and-a-must-win-for-the-pats/

Early season games are extremely high leverage, despite the playoffs being practically a whole season away. Teams starting the season 3-0 have made the playoffs 75 percent of the time, while teams that start 0-3 have made the playoffs only 2 percent of the time. Early games are so rich with information value that this is basically the most informative period of the entire season. Nearly every game has big implications.

Here's one of the charts the author uses in the article:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

If the Packers lose this week, going 0-2 to start the season, they will join the ranks of teams that have statistically only made the playoffs 20% of the time juxtaposed to going 1-1 which sees a 57% chance of making the playoffs.

snowpat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've seen what the Packers talent looks like when Rodgers went down last season.....just another bad NFL team. Rodgers is back but is playing tentatively and not taking enough chances downfield. Years of mostly bad drafts have taken their toll on even a Rodgers led team. If the O-line can somehow block the Jets then we win.....if not we have a dogfight.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
My thought has kind of run along the same line. Pardon the pun. If the offensive line does well today, the Packers should win. If it doesn't, it's going to be a loooong game.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are concerns about this game. The Jets are not to be taken lightly. But I see the Jets running into the same kind of buzz saw the Packers ran into in Seattle. The gap at QB is the big difference.
Packers, 38-3

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Bulaga is inactive today. STEP UP DEREK SHERROD!! He'll be facing their best DL so give him help on anything over a 3-step drop Mike!

Pennel is active BTW.

Reaction score
Offense:
-Hopefully Rodgers shook the rust off in Seattle and will be back to Pro-Bowl form;

-Hopefully McCarthy will give Sherrod some support via chip blocks (on passing downs) and double teams on that side of the field on running plays when necessary;

-Hopefully they’ll go light with Lacy since he just had a concussion…it is a long season and a young career…they have a bunch of other backs that can help carry the load;

-Hopefully Starks doesn’t become a turnover machine with how careless he is with the ball (I hold my breath every time he runs);

-Hopefully they will get creative on how they use Cobb;

Defense:
-Hopefully the tackling will be better;

-Hopefully the focus will be better…no lazy penalties or over pursuing;

-Hopefully they’ll go with a real NT(Penell anybody?);

-Hopefully Barrington, Lattimore, or Bradford can play them self into the starting line since Jones is out (don’t hate Jones, just think he is being misused…should be an OLB);

-Hopefully the 2 DL formations will be saved for passing downs;

-Hopefully we’ll see a more aggressive approach on defense;

General:
-Hopefully the preparation, execution and focus will be better in all aspects of the game;

Offense: I want to see a lot of formations with 21 or 12 personnel, and a return to quick slants and other short routes if coverage is soft, deep throws with press coverage. When they run, I want to see them run between the tackles to set up play action (to go deep) and a variety of screens (hence the excessive power formations).

Defense: It is mostly about focus and down and distance appropriate formations. Stop missing tackles and play with some damn discipline. There is no excuse for over pursuing the play or lazy penalties. They also need to capitalize on turnovers. They let 3 slip away in Seattle that would have changed the momentum of the game. There is also no excuse for playing any ILB for more than 50 snaps. They need to set a rotation.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that started as badly as possible. Hard to get a read on our defense when our O keeps putting them in a hole.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers needs to not stroll through the between the guard and O tackle

Pass pass pass punt