Official Packers vs Jets discussion

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jets don't have any offensive firepower - if Capers runs a 2-5 base, or too much nickel, I'll have a stroke.

Offensively, I don't think we'll look great against them... they believe in playing defense - but we should be able to move the ball enough to win this game without too much difficulty.

30-16 Packers.

NYJ Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny. Reading that thread about shutting down elite QBs, I instantly thought of how they did that with Revis. They haven't done it without him. Some of them also don't know our RB depth, so even without Lacy we actually have a good running game. There are few teams that shut down Rodgers, and he has bounced back to have a good game every time.

Cobb had a great rookie season, has been good since but not elite. He might have had elite athleticism before his injury but I haven't seen it since. I love the guy, I just don't know if it's fair to declare him up there with Harvin. That said, Cobb is a much better receiver than Harvin and I'd rather have a really good second WR than a speedy one trick pony.

We've shut down elite QB's post Revis. Last year we held Tom Brady below 50% passing twice, before that he hadn't had a single game below 50% in years. They also held Brees to his 3rd lowest comp. pct of the year and won the game. Also beat Matt Ryan in prime time. All that was with both starting cornerbacks who were rated in the bottom 10 of the league. Actually, the secondary has gotten better since last year, although that was not a hard leap. Rex loves to gameplan for elite QBs and he always keeps us in it.

Also, we aren't overlooking your RBs, it's just that it isn't possible to run on the Jets. Last year they led the league in YPC allowed, at a little over 3. Harrison, Wilkerson and Richardson were all rated in the top 3 at their positions for stopping the run by Pro Football Focus. Frankly, it's the best run stuffing line in the NFL. There isn't a team in the league that can consistently run on it.

That being said, I still think the Packers win the game. It's going to be a lot closer than you all think though. The reason it'll be close is that you simply won't have the ball for long enough to blow us out. One thing the Jets excel at is being a great time of possession team. Their run game was 6th in the league last year and it added Chris Johnson and Geno has taken a liking to running as well, so it may even be improved. Also the run D is elite as I mentioned. That means that even if we aren't scoring, we'll be sustaining drives and chewing up clock with the Packers offense on the sidelines. It also means that you're going to be pretty 1-dimensional and you won't stay on the field for long strictly passing, whether it's a failed possession or a quick score.

The key against you guys is outside pressure. The Seahawks got a ton of it which is what shut your O down. The problem is that the Jets are predicated on inside pressure from the front 3, and don't have much of an outside rush. That means that instead of Rodgers being confined to the pocket, he's going to be able to elude the rush and improvise/extend the play by getting outside of the pressure. This is bad in general against him, but especially with a depleted secondary. Rex loves to play man-to-man, and the corners just aren't good enough to hold their coverage downfield for that long if Rodgers is extending plays with his legs. That could be the fatal blow to us.

My prediction is that the Jets offense has no problem moving the ball and wins TOP about 35-25. Geno has a solid day and the running game goes over 150 yards as well. However, they shoot themselves by sustaining drives and settling for a couple field goals in the red zone. The Packers have many 3 and outs but their successful drives go for touchdowns. I see something along the lines of Packers 28 Jets 20. It's a whole different ballgame if we can get a rush from the OLBs though, and I wouldn't be surprised if Rex drew something up.

Glad to give a little insight on a Gang Green perspective of the game, enjoy and good luck guys!

Reaction score
The Jets don't have any offensive firepower - if Capers runs a 2-5 base, or too much nickel, I'll have a stroke.

Offensively, I don't think we'll look great against them... they believe in playing defense - but we should be able to move the ball enough to win this game without too much difficulty.

30-16 Packers.
I agree. If we can play sloppy against Seattle and put up 16. We should put up 24+ at home. GB 28 Jets 20

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb has played only two games post injury. Too quick to say his athleticism has declined.
I didn't say that it has, I just haven't seen it yet. It's a middle-of-the-road statement since there is not enough info to say one way or the other.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad to give a little insight on a Gang Green perspective of the game, enjoy and good luck guys!
Good post NYJ Fan. I didn't mean to belittle the Jets defense. They always seem to have the potential to be great and have a propensity to show it - a hallmark of a Ryan defense. In fact, I'm a big fan of Buddy, Rex, and Jerry Garcia (can't remember his name now with the Saints). Those guys know defense. The Jets under him just can't put the offense together. I like Geno but he's been on the hotplate since the day he was drafted. I think that they have a better chance with Vick but the future has to be with Geno. That was a nice run that Ivory ripped off.

DrMortonSaltEsq1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will come out playing the kind of ball that most talented teams play after a beginning season lost...a pounding of the NY Jets.
I see a 31 to 17 Packer win.

rick34125

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've shut down elite QB's post Revis. Last year we held Tom Brady below 50% passing twice, before that he hadn't had a single game below 50% in years. They also held Brees to his 3rd lowest comp. pct of the year and won the game. Also beat Matt Ryan in prime time. All that was with both starting cornerbacks who were rated in the bottom 10 of the league. Actually, the secondary has gotten better since last year, although that was not a hard leap. Rex loves to gameplan for elite QBs and he always keeps us in it.

Also, we aren't overlooking your RBs, it's just that it isn't possible to run on the Jets. Last year they led the league in YPC allowed, at a little over 3. Harrison, Wilkerson and Richardson were all rated in the top 3 at their positions for stopping the run by Pro Football Focus. Frankly, it's the best run stuffing line in the NFL. There isn't a team in the league that can consistently run on it.

That being said, I still think the Packers win the game. It's going to be a lot closer than you all think though. The reason it'll be close is that you simply won't have the ball for long enough to blow us out. One thing the Jets excel at is being a great time of possession team. Their run game was 6th in the league last year and it added Chris Johnson and Geno has taken a liking to running as well, so it may even be improved. Also the run D is elite as I mentioned. That means that even if we aren't scoring, we'll be sustaining drives and chewing up clock with the Packers offense on the sidelines. It also means that you're going to be pretty 1-dimensional and you won't stay on the field for long strictly passing, whether it's a failed possession or a quick score.

The key against you guys is outside pressure. The Seahawks got a ton of it which is what shut your O down. The problem is that the Jets are predicated on inside pressure from the front 3, and don't have much of an outside rush. That means that instead of Rodgers being confined to the pocket, he's going to be able to elude the rush and improvise/extend the play by getting outside of the pressure. This is bad in general against him, but especially with a depleted secondary. Rex loves to play man-to-man, and the corners just aren't good enough to hold their coverage downfield for that long if Rodgers is extending plays with his legs. That could be the fatal blow to us.

My prediction is that the Jets offense has no problem moving the ball and wins TOP about 35-25. Geno has a solid day and the running game goes over 150 yards as well. However, they shoot themselves by sustaining drives and settling for a couple field goals in the red zone. The Packers have many 3 and outs but their successful drives go for touchdowns. I see something along the lines of Packers 28 Jets 20. It's a whole different ballgame if we can get a rush from the OLBs though, and I wouldn't be surprised if Rex drew something up.

nice post. hard to disagree with anything you've said here. rodgers ability to extend plays would be my number one concern for the jets as well. the jets will need to be more successful in the red zone, unlike last week, and do it in a hostile, noisy environment against a desperate team.

jetsknicks1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jets have a chance to win.
I'm not thinking they will. Just that they could.
We do have a chance but a bunch of things need to swing our way.
1. The offense HAS to run the ball well and attempt to eat clock.
2. Geno cannot turn the ball over. He looked very good for most of last weeks game but he still turned it over twice.
3. On defense, the DL has to stop the run and try to pressure AR into uncomfortable spots. With our CB issues, he'll pick us apart if he has too much time.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do have a chance but a bunch of things need to swing our way.
1. The offense HAS to run the ball well and attempt to eat clock.
2. Geno cannot turn the ball over. He looked very good for most of last weeks game but he still turned it over twice.
3. On defense, the DL has to stop the run and try to pressure AR into uncomfortable spots. With our CB issues, he'll pick us apart if he has too much time.
After the beating we took in Seattle and seeing how things are pretty much the same, I just don't have the Packers faith yet.

JetsMike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Closer game then people think. Take the Jets and the points. Not saying they win but will cover the 10 points.

Coming into town on Sat and looking for place to go Sat night. Any suggestions?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Closer game then people think. Take the Jets and the points. Not saying they win but will cover the 10 points.

Coming into town on Sat and looking for place to go Sat night. Any suggestions?
I think that might be covered on other places within the forum.
Look around.

JetLifeLo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jets D-line doesn't get ran on, Eddie Lacey can take the day off if he'd like. It'll probably look like he did anyway. I like Lacey a lot but our d-line has been too much for any RB to handle for these last 2 seasons so i don't think he'll be much of a factor. I heard you guys have a banged up o-line, thats not good for ARod, but if he can get some quick passes off then he'll be able to make something happen. our starting CB Dee Milliner should be back and ready to play, may not though. Regardless Rodgers is your QB so he may still have his way anyway. As for the other side of the ball, the seahawks finished the week as the 2nd ranked rushing offense...you know who's first? The NY Jets. I'm sure we'll try to run it allll day long on you guys. Its gonna be a very good game but i got my boys in an upset 23-20. I like our match ups in the trenches. Good Luck.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of the Jets fans here that the Pack will have a hard time running on the Jets. MM stubbornly stuck to the game plan of run on 1st and 2nd down when Seattle was stacking the box. If he does that again Packers won't put up 30 points. The Packers have to use their passing game big time in this one, and that means a combination quick short-pass to keep the Jets defense honest and some passes over the top.

I thought that last week was one of the worst offensive plans I'd seen from the Packers in quite some time. And the Packers played scared. It was ridiculous. I don't think the Packers will play scared this time, but I'll hold my breath to see just what MM's game plan is going to be.

D

Deleted member 6794

is it true that aaron rodgers is 28-2 in his last 30 home games at lambeau?

It´s true if you talk about games during the regular season which he started and finished only, the Packers have lost both playoff games at Lambeau during that period though.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
is it true that aaron rodgers is 28-2 in his last 30 home games at lambeau?

It will be close..they had that 8-0 in 2011

maybe 27-3 if you dont include the Bear game last year when he got hurt...If yo do then it is 26-4 I believe

rick34125

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It´s true if you talk about games during the regular season which he started and finished only, the Packers have lost both playoff games at Lambeau during that period though.
It will be close..they had that 8-0 in 2011

maybe 27-3 if you dont include the Bear game last year when he got hurt...If yo do then it is 26-4 I believe

impressive home record. doesn't bode well for the jets.

JetLifeLo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a link to McGinn's scouting report on the Jets, Aaron Rodgers will test Jets secondary.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...est-jets-secondary-b99347942z1-274570411.html

I'll be interested in the Jets fans' take on it.

The fact yall got beat the way yall did week 1 worries me more than the match ups on the field. I know starting off 0-2 would kill the morale and confidence in that locker room, esp with the NFC north getting better so this yall gonna be in "must win" mode. All i can say is if my controls the trenches its gonna be hard for GB but still and all should be a good close game UNLESS Geno makes it easy for you guys with turnovers

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's a link to McGinn's scouting report on the Jets, Aaron Rodgers will test Jets secondary.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...est-jets-secondary-b99347942z1-274570411.html

I'll be interested in the Jets fans' take on it.

Aside of their obvious troubles at corner and Rodgers hopefully being able to exploit them I would like the Packers to somehow get a TE matched up with Quinton Coples and run some screen passes his direction.

I´m worried about Wilkerson matching up with Sherrod, hopefully he will be improved over last week.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside of their obvious troubles at corner and Rodgers hopefully being able to exploit them I would like the Packers to somehow get a TE matched up with Quinton Coples and run some screen passes his direction.

I´m worried about Wilkerson matching up with Sherrod, hopefully he will be improved over last week.

The plan better be to use a tightend to chip every single pass play. I have no confidence Sherrod can block Wilkerson 1 on 1 No way.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that it was Sitton that commended how well Sherrod played in general, but admitted there were a couple real bad plays. Committing a TE to chip Wilkerson is a waste of a valuable resource. It's know when to chip and when not to....and having Sherrod clean up the bad spots. He wasn't a turnstile, he just wasn't stout 100%.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that it was Sitton that commended how well Sherrod played in general, but admitted there were a couple real bad plays. Committing a TE to chip Wilkerson is a waste of a valuable resource. It's know when to chip and when not to....and having Sherrod clean up the bad spots. He wasn't a turnstile, he just wasn't stout 100%.

That's why you use double tightend sets. Besides it's not like he can't still release out on his route once he finished the chip so I wouldn't call it a waste.

D

Deleted member 6794

I rather have a TE helping out Sherrod than getting Rodgers killed by Wilkerson. Maybe the discussion will be obsolete at the end of the week as Bulaga, while looking like a guy with a hurt knee, practiced today.