Official Packers vs Jets discussion

JetsMike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a link to McGinn's scouting report on the Jets, Aaron Rodgers will test Jets secondary.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...est-jets-secondary-b99347942z1-274570411.html

I'll be interested in the Jets fans' take on it.
Milliner returned to practice today on a limited basis which is good news. The issue for the Jets is putting up points in the red zone. We will not be able to trade touchdowns vs field goals and expect to win. Our D line will stop the run and if our D backfield makes tackles ( a lost art in football now) we should be in the game till the end. Look for big special teams play and lots of pressure on Rodgers as he will be looking to put up big numbers as the article says. Looking forward to having brats and beers with all you Cheeseheads this weekend.

JetLifeLo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Antonio Allen, Jets FS turned #1 CB (for last week) is verrrrry good at stopping teams with TE's as a threat (See Gronk & Graham last season) .. If milliner comes back our matchups in the secondary could be slightly better, i expect Jordy Nelson to get his though

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction is that the Jets offense has no problem moving the ball and wins TOP about 35-25. Geno has a solid day and the running game goes over 150 yards as well. However, they shoot themselves by sustaining drives and settling for a couple field goals in the red zone. The Packers have many 3 and outs but their successful drives go for touchdowns. I see something along the lines of Packers 28 Jets 20. It's a whole different ballgame if we can get a rush from the OLBs though, and I wouldn't be surprised if Rex drew something up.

I am not taking the Jets lightly... I watched the Jets/Raiders game the other day. I think this will be close game for all the points you make.

Packers rush defense will be tested... I think Jets will be able to move the ball between the 20´s... but as you pointed out, they seemed to shot themselves in the foot a bit when getting close to the red zone. That may be in part because Geno Smith is only starting his 2nd season. I think Jets will be settling for a few too many FG´s in this game.

Keys for Packers:
- Hopefully Bulaga and Lacy can play... I just missed MM´s Wednesday press conference... injury report will be out later today to know any developments.
- Being able to run the ball vs the Jets so at least they have to think about it (vs Jets only thinking about rushing Rodgers)
- Being able to stop the Jets rushing attack... or at least limit it better than they did vs Seattle
- Avoid turnovers

Think Packers win close one at home...

Packers 31
Jets 27

D

Deleted member 6794

Antonio Allen, Jets FS turned #1 CB (for last week) is verrrrry good at stopping teams with TE's as a threat (See Gronk & Graham last season) .. If milliner comes back our matchups in the secondary could be slightly better, i expect Jordy Nelson to get his though

Even if Milliner is able to play I like the matchups for the Packers receivers. Do you think Allen will move back to safety or stay at corner???

rick34125

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Milliner is able to play I like the matchups for the Packers receivers. Do you think Allen will move back to safety or stay at corner???
if milliner plays he'll be limited. i'd expect to see allen getting time at both CB and S. we'll know better tomorrow milliner's status and how his ankle handled practice today.

JetLifeLo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Depends on how Milliner is playing. He may not even play the whole game if he isn't 100%. Esp if he gets picked on. But to answer your question if Milliner plays will Allen be back at safety, my guess would be yes. Allen is very versatile though sometimes he lines up in the box with LB's Rex has all kinds of schemes for AA.

NYJ Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside of their obvious troubles at corner and Rodgers hopefully being able to exploit them I would like the Packers to somehow get a TE matched up with Quinton Coples and run some screen passes his direction.

I´m worried about Wilkerson matching up with Sherrod, hopefully he will be improved over last week.

Quinton Coples is unique as an OLB in that Rex never puts him in coverage, he's strictly a rush backer. He was drafted as a defensive end and it would be dumb of Rex to expect him to both learn a new position and learn how to cover. Our defense usually uses safeties if we are going to put somebody in strict man coverage on a tight end.

Luckily for you guys, Antonio Allen was an amazing man-coverage safety against tight ends; he performed very well against Gronk, Graham and Gonzalez last year. Since he was so good in man coverage, Rex converted him to CB after the fleet of injuries. You might be able to exploit the matchup of S Dawan Landry vs your tight end but I'm not overly concerned with that really. Your best bet is to spread the field with 3 receiver sets and pick us apart in the secondary.

NYJ Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a link to McGinn's scouting report on the Jets, Aaron Rodgers will test Jets secondary.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...est-jets-secondary-b99347942z1-274570411.html

I'll be interested in the Jets fans' take on it.

Wow that's really in depth and accurate for a breakdown of opposing teams, our beat writers are **** compared to that.

Everything he says holds up. His mention of Rex using Coples and Hakim at different positions is one of the reasons I expect this game to be close. If you gave the defensive personnel to almost any DC in the league, I wouldn't expect the Jets to stand a chance. But Rex protected the secondary by doing things like lining massive OLB Quinton Coples as a press corner to interfere with a WR release, and then lined up one of the fastest players in the game, KR Saalim Hakim, as a corner and had him come off the edge on a blitz.

Both of those came in week 1 in a relatively non competitive game, so I imagine that he has a hell of a lot more scheming up his sleeve. He's going to do whatever he can to make sure that the receivers aren't getting separation by the time Rodgers needs to throw the ball, whether it be by disrupting their routes or by using unique pressures to get to Rodgers faster.

I also think he slightly overrated our offensive line, while underrating the defensive line. The OL can be had by a good pass rush and that would destroy the entire gameplan. I still don't trust Geno with the football under pressure at all. If you get in his face, he'll probably give you the ball. The Jets need to play mistake free to win the game, so that would pretty much screw them. Meanwhile, the DL is probably the best unit in the NFL.

The Jets are going to try to use Johnson like the Seahawks used Harvin. The Packers ability to stop those plays is gonna be another key to the game.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a lot of similarities between two of our superstar former quarterbacks.

Joe Namath and Brett Favre both have just one Super Bowl win. Just one.
Yet both are super overrated. Look at their stats:
Namath:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NamaJo00.htm

220 INTs to 173 TDs in a 12 year career.
We already know about Favre.
Yet the media and the fans are willing to look past just how bad they really were because they were such darlings to them both.

Favre went to NY, played for the Jets and hit up on ****** which resulted in nothing.
Namath went to NY, played for the Jets and not only hit up on but also scored with ******.

Namath and Favre both advertised for different articles of clothing which goes over the legs.

Namath is cruel to animals by wearing fur coats.
Favre is cruel to animals by going into their natural home in the woods where they should be left in peace and just goes ahead and murders them.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
[Please pardon this tangent]
Wow that's really in depth and accurate for a breakdown of opposing teams, our beat writers are **** compared to that.
Thank you very much NYJ Fan for reading the linked article and for commenting on it.

This is just one fan of an opposing team, so I don't want to make too much of it, but certainly he has no axe to grind for or against McGinn. Believe it or not NYJ Fan, some Packers fans dislike/detest McGinn but I have been a fan of his writing since he joined the Packers beat. That's because 1) I'm old and 2) I devoured any piece of writing on the Packers I could get my hands on long before the net - even before sports radio (shortly after the leather helmet era). Before McGinn very little was written on the play of the OL and DL and very, very little was written in an attempt to bring objective opinions about the Packers from others in the league to Packers fans. McGinn changed that and I greatly appreciate it. Of course that's not to say he makes no mistakes, he does. But if you look at the totality of his contribution to Packers journalism IMO it's very heavily weighted on the positive side. [Tangent over, please resume comments on the subject.]

IMO this game may boil down to one thing: If Aaron Rodgers is his usual accurate self the Packers will win by a TD or more. If he plays like he did against Seattle, it will be a close game.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGinn is one of the best.

The Jets administered one of those season-opening defeats, winning as a 2½-point underdog, 20-16, in Mike Sherman's first game as coach in 2000. Vinny Testaverde bested Brett Favre.
A nice gem thrown in by McGinn. Favre beat by Vinny.

I forgot that Rex has Marty Mornhinweg calling the offense...one of the many Holmgren disciples. Marty is another good example of a good coordinator that isn't cut out for the head job, but does pretty good in a defined role.

Myndflyte

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Rodgers/Wrigglesworth photos were ... disturbing.

jetsknicks1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We really do need Millner to be on the field Sunday. Even if he's not at full speed, he give AR something else to consider when looking downfield.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this game could be a bellwhether as to what kind of team this year's Packers will be. Obviously a loss will set off alarm bells. A close, struggling win will be worrisome. A clear-cut decisive victory will put the Pack back on the short list of championship contenders.

The Jets won't be a pushover but they should be a manageable, beatable opponent; especially with the Packers holding home field. They play strong run defense and can rush the passer but their secondary is vulnerable to a quarterback and offense such as the Packers have.

As usual we will wonder about our defense. New York can run but if they have to win with their qb passing they'll be in trouble. The offense coming out strong and getting in front may be the best chance the defense has.

If history is any clue the Packers have been excellent in Week Two games since Aaron Rodgers has been qb. They're 5-1 in the second week of regular season since 2008, 4-1 at Lambeau and they've won their Week Two games the past two seasons after losing the opener.

I think we'll see a solid performance, reminiscient perhaps of last year's romp over Washington and RG III in Week Two at Lambeau. Then two shoot-out wins on the road against Detroit and Chicago and back at home to take Minnesota.The natural order in the NFC North should be pretty well straightened out by then.

jetsknicks1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this game could be a bellwhether as to what kind of team this year's Packers will be. Obviously a loss will set off alarm bells. A close, struggling win will be worrisome. A clear-cut decisive victory will put the Pack back on the short list of championship contenders.

The Jets won't be a pushover but they should be a manageable, beatable opponent; especially with the Packers holding home field. They play strong run defense and can rush the passer but their secondary is vulnerable to a quarterback and offense such as the Packers have.

As usual we will wonder about our defense. New York can run but if they have to win with their qb passing they'll be in trouble. The offense coming out strong and getting in front may be the best chance the defense has.

If history is any clue the Packers have been excellent in Week Two games since Aaron Rodgers has been qb. They're 5-1 in the second week of regular season since 2008, 4-1 at Lambeau and they've won their Week Two games the past two seasons after losing the opener.

I think we'll see a solid performance, reminiscient perhaps of last year's romp over Washington and RG III in Week Two at Lambeau. Then two shoot-out wins on the road against Detroit and Chicago and back at home to take Minnesota.The natural order in the NFC North should be pretty well straightened out by then.

I feel the same way about this game when it comes to the Jets. If we can play the Pack tough, stay in the game or heaven forbid, win, that will show how much the team has improved since last season. If however the Jets get totally worked while looking completely out matched, it shows we still have a ways to go.

snowpat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack will go as Rodgers goes in this game. If he plays tentative as he did last week the Jets have a chance. If he plays like he is capable of then the Pack should be in control. If you compare Packers and Jets minus the quarterback they are close. If you then look at Rodgers vs. Smith , well you get the difference.

H

HardRightEdge

There is no point in waffling.

This is the Jets, led by Geno Smith, at Lambeau, in good weather. This is the Jets, a team that squeaked by a flawed Raiders team with a rookie QB taking his first snaps.

If the Packers don't beat these guys, then who?