Official Pack vs Chiefs

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On fan forums? Come on.

Seriously though I think Charles is better than Lynch and Kelce is as good if not better than Graham. I think Seattle and KC are very similar at the offensive skill positions (not sure about the defense or the lines) but they are a pretty good team. I suspect a similar game to Seattle for the most part but in the end we make it look a bit easier.

The question is will our defense catch them?

I don't think KC's passing attack is very far behind Seattle. Like I said, Kelce is as good as Graham and neither team has great WRs. Charles is better than Lynch at catching the ball and as far as pure passing ability I think Smith is at least as good as Willson. Where Wilson has the advantage is his ability to scramble and keep plays alive. Charles is more shifty as a runner, more like Forte than Lynch.

I do agree that we approach this game similar to the way we did Seattle, at least on defense I'm not sure how KCs defense compares to Seattle but I do know we have to be aware of Houston and the way Barclay and Bahktiari looked that could be a problem.

I consider Alex Smith a step down from Wilson. Wilson is a playmaker, period, and there's no way Smith can hurt you extending plays like Wilson can. The Chiefs have a very good pass rush however, and the OL will have its hands full. I worry about how Barkley and Bahk are going to do against Houston and Temba Hali.

It's hard to know whether the Packers will have the same kind of success against Jamal as they did against Marshawn. Jamal has breakaway speed and great moves, Lynch breaks tackles.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I can tell you if we allow Charles to run lose in our secondary it'll be a loss for sure. Only person On the team who may be able to catch him is Sam Shields .

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Backs like Forte, Peterson and Charles may get their yards against us, but that doesn't necessarily equal a loss. As long as we limit those big chunks to between their 20 and our 30, I'm ok with surrendering a few fields goals. Plus, the defense played much better against Lynch and I see that effort happening again on Monday night.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here’s McGinn’s scouting report on the Chiefs. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...fs-scouting-report-b99582127z1-328766561.html

The Chiefs haven’t loss in their only three trips to Lambeau since ’89. But the last time was 2003 so I don’t put any stock in that. The personnel men and assistant coaches McGinn talked to think it’s going to be a close game. IMO Charles will be much harder to control than Lynch. Here’s an unfun fact for Packers fans from the article:
RB Jamaal Charles is the NFL's all-time leader in yards per carry (5.47) among players with 1,000 or more rushes. Jim Brown is second at 5.22, followed by Barry Sanders (4.99), Adrian Peterson (4.95)…

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's where one of my concerns lies. Marshawn Lynch stinks when he's thrown to. I saw him put an open catch on the ground last game and I don't think he's really known as a reliable RB receiver. Charles on the other hand is, so whoever we have covering him in the passing game is going to have their hands full. Also, as tough a runner as Lynch is, we also have to remember his running style usually has minimal cutbacks and he gets his yardage through stiff arming, powering, and running through tackles. Charles on the other hand is much much more elusive. I think the way you stop him on running plays is employ that same strategy we used against AP in that playoff game in 2012. Keep him from bouncing to the outside and keep him in the middle because you can limit him better in there.

On our pass protection I understand the concern there. But I think the key will be Linsley and the guards holding up the middle. Because yes they'll send Hali and Houston from the outside, but that might be a bad thing to do against Rodgers because he has great pocket awareness and if you miss him from either direction, he'll either fire a hot route to that side or go running in that vacated direction and complete even an off balance throw. Or he'll go to the middle of the field and run for a first down, so the Chiefs had better take care how they decide to pressure him. But on a side note, BARCLAY (to those who spelled it wrong) held up good against the Hawks front 4 last game, I'm not terribly worried about him this game. Bakhtiari is the guy who got victimized by sacks and penalties mostly. But the passing game will have to be a focal point to win this game too and if the chiefs run game sputters or they start falling behind at any point, I expect Alex Smith will get buried alive by Julius Peppers and Clay Matthews and trust me after last week, last thing the Chiefs want to see are those 2 turned loose on them.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy said Lacy and Adams are getting better, both will do some pre-practice work, but he doesn't have high expectations of them practicing today.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't given a prediction yet, so I will. I think us playing at Lambeau will be a huge factor. KC could very easily be 2-0 right now, too. I expect a tough game. But I'll go with:

Chiefs: 17
Packers:27

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO this is another big game for the Packers. Chiefs have a top 5 defense with a great pass rush and a strong running attack. It's the kind of team that Packers have had problems with in the past. IF the Packers win this one, they could be on their way to their best season in years.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO this is another big game for the Packers. Chiefs have a top 5 defense with a great pass rush and a strong running attack. It's the kind of team that Packers have had problems with in the past. IF the Packers win this one, they could be on their way to their best season in years.

Since, say, 2001 when...oops. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As I mentioned before, the only part of this game that I don't like is that the Chiefs last played on Thursday 9/17 giving them a mini bye week and time to heal up and prepare. Other then that, keep Charles contained inside and Packers should be victorious at home 34-21.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy said during his press conference that both Lacy and Adams will go through individual work today. Big first step on their way to being able to play Monday.

D

Deleted member 6794

Mike Neal and Demetri Goodson weren't participating in today's practice.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope the game Monday night isn't close enough to require both Lacy and Adams to play a lot of minutes (if they do suit up) so that they have another week to rest those ankles. We are going to need both of them healthy down the stretch and the next 2/3 games are by no means gimmies, but I think the strength of our opponents might allow for playing both less in those games.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope the game Monday night isn't close enough to require both Lacy and Adams to play a lot of minutes (if they do suit up) so that they have another week to rest those ankles. We are going to need both of them healthy down the stretch and the next 2/3 games are by no means gimmies, but I think the strength of our opponents might allow for playing both less in those games.

With Starks being the backup the Packers can afford to play Lacy less. Different story with Adams though as the team is lacking another receiver best suited to play outside than Janis.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree Captain. But as we saw on Sunday night after Adams injury, he really wasn't running well and if another week of rest will help heal that wheel, I would take my chances with Cobb, Jones, Montgomery and Janis. Lacy has proved he can play on a heavily taped injured ankle, I think Adams play depends more on his speed and health of his legs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree Captain. But as we saw on Sunday night after Adams injury, he really wasn't running well and if another week of rest will help heal that wheel, I would take my chances with Cobb, Jones, Montgomery and Janis. Lacy has proved he can play on a heavily taped injured ankle, I think Adams play depends more on his speed and health of his legs.

Adams wasn't able to run smoothly after getting injured vs. the Seahawks. If he's not feeling any better on Monday it doesn't make any sense for the Packers to play him.

Lacy did fine on a bad ankle late in the 2013 season but don't forget that he aggrevated the injury more than once. If there's any risk of that happening again I'd rather have Starks being the primary back.

D

Deleted member 6794

Eddie Lacy said he was able to do some team reps at practice today. Good sign he'll play Monday night.

D

Deleted member 6794

Morgan Burnett dropped put of positional drills because of a calf injury today, officially was listed as limited participant.

Davante Adams on his ankle: "The cutting isn’t really the problem. It’s just the pressure when I lean on it."

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I can tell you if we allow Charles to run lose in our secondary it'll be a loss for sure. Only person On the team who may be able to catch him is Sam Shields .
The real question is whether the KC defense can keep Rodgers out of the end zone. Our offense is the best unit on the field Monday night and will be just about every week this year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I listened to McGinn & Cohen’s podcast (I usually don’t have the time) and heard a couple of interesting tidbits. As we know, the Chiefs ruined the Packers 2011 regular season by beating them at Arrowhead in December of that season. The Chiefs had fired their HC the week before. McGinn made the point that while roster turnover is a fact of life in the NFL, comparing the Chiefs roster mid-December 2011 to today, there are only 5 players still on their roster.

I am worried about Charles because of his speed and quickness. It’s one thing to contain a beast like Lynch but another to be able to catch and then contain Charles, who also excels catching the ball out of the backfield. Cohen mentioned another amazing stat for Charles (in addition to him being the career leader in yards per carry): To this point in his career, 33% of his TD runs are 30 yards or more. Only 24% of Barry Sanders and 21% of Jim Browns were.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know a lot of people are concerned about Charles, he is probably going to get his 100+ yards. But like the opening game against Forte, Peterson (previous years) and other good runners, you can't let their presence make you loose focus on the other 10 players and start letting Smith or his receivers hurt you.

Our offense is going to score some points, so let Charles have his 100, but force a few turnovers on Defense, play good special teams and I don't see Charles alone beating us.

Members online

Latest posts