Official Game Day Thread: Cowboys @ Packers - 11/7: WIN 45 - 7

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Found this interesting tidbit:
Teams favored by 6.5 or more going into their bye cover the spread about 80 percent of the time. The explanation behind this is that favorites of 6.5 or more are generally good teams, and good teams are usually focused in their final game prior to a week off. WalterFootball.com: NFL Picks Against the Spread - Week 9, 2010

So, based on history, we got an 80% chance of outscoring the cowgirls by 6.5 points.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Found this interesting tidbit:
Teams favored by 6.5 or more going into their bye cover the spread about 80 percent of the time. The explanation behind this is that favorites of 6.5 or more are generally good teams, and good teams are usually focused in their final game prior to a week off. WalterFootball.com: NFL Picks Against the Spread - Week 9, 2010

So, based on history, we got an 80% chance of outscoring the cowgirls by 6.5 points.

Well that's some good news!!! What worries me is coming off the bye week. We faced the Jets coming off their bye week and they were noticeably off. I hope the team uses their bye week wisely, I'm sure they will, it's just that we have the Vikings after the bye, and they will probably come out shooting.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that's some good news!!! What worries me is coming off the bye week. We faced the Jets coming off their bye week and they were noticeably off. I hope the team uses their bye week wisely, I'm sure they will, it's just that we have the Vikings after the bye, and they will probably come out shooting.
Plus it's in the MetroDump.
Anyone have the Packers win/loss in that place?

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jets game was very encouraging; it looks like they are beginning to make the needed adjustments and the team is starting feel like a playoff caliber team again. This could easily be a trap game but I don't think the coaches OR the players are going to get caught off guard. They come out intense and play a four quarter game and let Dallas worry about the record. Pack takes this one in prime time then gets a bit more healed during the bye week and brings it to the Vikes for a second time this season.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
OK Croak...to your signature

Malum,dele, ut bonum floreat=
Destroy evil, in order that good men can prosper. Latin translators are tough!

Or maybe it means "An apple a day keeps the Dr. away".

It's from the Boondock Saints movies. Your first translation was right. "Destroy that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish."

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKERS

5 – Consecutive instant replay challenges opponents have lost against the Packers.

6 – Consecutive weeks running back Brandon Jackson’s carries have gone up (7, 9,10,12,13,15).

1-2 – Record when quarterback Aaron Rodgers rushes for a touchdown.

1 – Turnovers the offense has committed in its three games against AFC East opponents.

8 – Turnovers the offense has committed in its three games against NFC North opponents.

NFC NORTH

6 – Sacks the Minnesota Vikings defense has this season, tied for last in the NFL. (In 2009 they ranked first with 48)

26.1 – Points per game the Detroit Lions are scoring, sixth highest in the NFL.

11 – Field goals of between 30 and 39 yards division kickers have hit on 12 attempts (the Packers’ Mason Crosby is the only one to miss).

84 – Times the Chicago Bears have allowed their quarterback to be sacked or knocked down, the most of any team in the NFL.

30 – The longest pass play in yards an opponent has had against the Bears defense, lowest among all NFL teams.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game has possible letdown written all over it. Really hoping the Packers come out with a killer mentality and don't take the Cowboys too lightly. I want this game over by the 3rd quarter.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OG Daryn Colledge (back) was not at practice. He did very little yesterday after his back flared up. He said it was general soreness from last Sunday and that he thought he would be ready for Dallas. Jason Spitz would probably be the fill-in if Colledge can't play.
LB Clay Matthews (shin) and DE Ryan Pickett (ankle) both took part in the walk-through. That's more than they did on Wednesday. But they did not take part in the full-speed workout that follows.
TE Andrew Quarless (shoulder) returned to practice, a day after coach Mike McCarthy made it clear he was not happy with him sitting out.
CB Charles Woodson (toe) took part in the walk-through and then left. LT Chad Clifton (hamstring/knee) returned to practice in full
WR Donald Driver (thigh) and CB Pat Lee (ankle) are out.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
This game has possible letdown written all over it. Really hoping the Packers come out with a killer mentality and don't take the Cowboys too lightly. I want this game over by the 3rd quarter.

There's not going to be a let down. Let downs are for teams that are functioning well. This team knows they are not functioning up to their potential and they are disturbed about it. Expect to see a fired up offense in addition to a stout defense with three big fat guys on the line to stuff the run, thus letting the secondary and linebackers to do their thing. This D is starting to gel into a true 3-4 dominating Steeler/Ravens type d.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GETTING NOSEY

Of all of Tim Masthay's punts Sunday, the one special teams coach Shawn Slocum loved the best was a fourth-quarter hit from the Packers 36 with 3:57 left in the game.

The punt only went 41 yards, but the hangtime and placement were so good, the Jets had no chance for a return. They took the ball over at their own 23 and netted minus-1 yards on the ensuing drive, allowing the Packers to seal the game with a Mason Crosby field goal with 2:03 left.

"The last one he had, he had in excess of 4.8 seconds of hang time at 41 yards," Slocum said. "That's pretty good. He was close to having a sixth punt inside the 20. A 40-yard net is a pretty good exchange."

That punt was one of four "drop" punts Masthay used. The "drop" punt is an Australian Rules-style kick where the punter actually hits the nose of the football instead of the mid-section.

That causes it to fly end over end. Masthay learned the finer points of the style from his training camp competition, Chris Bryan.

"They hit more soft," Slocum said. "Sometimes they’ll back spin, which is ideal. A lot of time they just hit it softer than a spiraling ball. You’ve seen those, they hit the ground and it almost accelerates. These balls, even if they move forward, hit softly."

They're only used for dropping the ball inside the 20 or preventing a return. Masthay's other four punts were spirals, including the first three in which he averaged 51.3.

READY TO GO

Left guard Daryn Colledge (back) did not practice Thursday and coach Mike McCarthy said he was “concerned”. If Colledge can’t go, Jason Spitz would get the call.

Spitz has 47 career starts (including playoffs), but has yet to start a game this year.

“Has it been a long time since I played a game? Absolutely,” Spitz said. “But I practice every day and you prepare to play … and our coaches do a good job preparing everyone.”

PUT ME IN, COACH

Packers defensive end Ryan Pickett (ankle) was a limited participant at practice Thursday, but was hopeful of playing Sunday. Pickett has been inactive two of the last three games, and played just a handful of snaps in a Week 7 win over Minnesota.

“I want to play,” Pickett said. “And I look at it like this: I have a bye week to recover after the game. Either way, I just really want to play this game.”

He’ll be tested before the game before a decision is made.

PAIN BEFORE PLEASURE

Rookie tight end Andrew Quarless was back at practice after sitting out Wednesday with a shoulder injury.

Quarless knows the only way he's going to get in the game on Sunday is if he practices Thursday and Friday. He did so Thursday with a shoulder harness that he said isn't as restrictive as one would think.

"Definitely, I'll be able to play with it," he said. "I'm feeling a little bit better. Day by day it's getting better, but it's a little painful right now."

Quarless said he had been battling shoulder soreness before he landed on it during the Jets game on a pass directed to him that he should have caught. He said if he plays, he'll likely be in pain.

"I'll be all right," he said. "I'm tough."

JONESING FOR SUCCESS

Fourth-year receiver James Jones has had an up and down career, and perhaps the last three games are a microcosm of that inconsistency.

Jones had no catches Sunday against the New York Jets, and was also shut out Oct 17 against Miami. Sandwiched in between, Jones had four catches for 107 yards in a huge Week 7 win over Minnesota.

“James Jones could play better, yes,” Jones said. “But James Jones believes to be up, you need opportunities. I can’t throw the ball to myself. I can’t do that.

“Now, I believe people say, ‘Up and down, up and down’ because with the few opportunities I have, I may let a ball go, which I have this year. I haven’t really made the most of my opportunities and I have let a couple balls go.

“I understand where it comes from, but with opportunities I believe comes consistency and hopefully I can get some more opportunities.”

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TE Andrew Quarless (shoulder) returned to practice, a day after coach Mike McCarthy made it clear he was not happy with him sitting out.

McCarthy getting upset w/ him b/c he wasn't that injured and shouldn't sit out? Is that what that means?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JONESING FOR SUCCESS

Fourth-year receiver James Jones has had an up and down career, and perhaps the last three games are a microcosm of that inconsistency.

Jones had no catches Sunday against the New York Jets, and was also shut out Oct 17 against Miami. Sandwiched in between, Jones had four catches for 107 yards in a huge Week 7 win over Minnesota.

“James Jones could play better, yes,” Jones said. “But James Jones believes to be up, you need opportunities. I can’t throw the ball to myself. I can’t do that.

“Now, I believe people say, ‘Up and down, up and down’ because with the few opportunities I have, I may let a ball go, which I have this year. I haven’t really made the most of my opportunities and I have let a couple balls go.

“I understand where it comes from, but with opportunities I believe comes consistency and hopefully I can get some more opportunities.”

I really think we will see Jordy get way more opportunities in this game, he hasn't dropped a ball yet (i think) he has bailed out aaron rodgers on a couple throws that got a little away from him so far this season, I expect Jordy to have a big day against them & catch a deep TD over the weak Dallas safeties
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh.

James Jones is inconsistent, afraid to go to the middle of the field and catch in traffic, is complaining about opportunities, and calls himself in the 3rd person?

Ugh. Maybe we would have been better off with Randy Moss. Moss does all that, but at least he draws double teams.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh.

James Jones is inconsistent, afraid to go to the middle of the field and catch in traffic, is complaining about opportunities, and calls himself in the 3rd person?

Ugh. Maybe we would have been better off with Randy Moss. Moss does all that, but at least he draws double teams.

LOL.

pretty sure if James Jones ripped on some local caterer Clay would eat him alive.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy getting upset w/ him b/c he wasn't that injured and shouldn't sit out? Is that what that means?

yeah, I guess they thought he was being lazy or a *****. Im not a fan based on his tats on the back of his arms "gods" on one arm, "gift" on the other.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, I guess they thought he was being lazy or a *****. Im not a fan based on his tats on the back of his arms "gods" on one arm, "gift" on the other.

I agree, he is not exactly CLUTCH, I haven't seen him catch a tough ball in traffic in a Looooooooooonnggggggg time...I think the last time was PRESEASON against the bengals!

I think there's a really good chance we will be drafting another WR along with all the other needs we have, that's when we'll start to see the best of JONES, Swain is ZERO competition for this guy, & JORDY just isn't involved enough, he'll linger for a while unless we create some competition

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, he is not exactly CLUTCH, I haven't seen him catch a tough ball in traffic in a Looooooooooonnggggggg time...I think the last time was PRESEASON against the bengals!

I think there's a really good chance we will be drafting another WR along with all the other needs we have, that's when we'll start to see the best of JONES, Swain is ZERO competition for this guy, & JORDY just isn't involved enough, he'll linger for a while unless we create some competition
Gods Gift is on Quarless' arms, not Jones...

Staff online

Members online