Official Bear studs n duds

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Jones (big stud), Rodgers, Cobb, Watkins, Doubs, Dillon maybe, Preston, Gary, Douglas, O'Donnell, Crosby, special teams in general. Leavitt made a great tackle on a KO and then held on a punt.

Duds: O line pass blocking (maybe Jenkins should not be at tackle), D line against the run

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If not for two unforced errors, this game winds up 41-7.
That's even scarier than the other stuff I'm reading. At least there's usually the "hey, the other guys get paid, too" to hang one's hat on. Unforced errors, not so much.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's even scarier than the other stuff I'm reading. At least there's usually the "hey, the other guys get paid, too" to hang one's hat on. Unforced errors, not so much.
Unforced errors are (easily) correctable, though. They're mistakes that can be addressed...much like ILB's in the wrong place or pi$$-poor tackling.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If not a stud (only two catches) I think Lazard deserves an honorable mention. He caught a TD, obviously, but also made some really nice blocks. He's a big presence and I think opposing defenses have to worry about him when he's out there with his size and toughness. He can have a big impact without even catching a lot of balls. Good to have him back.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree with a lot discussed and thoughts...one guy however I made note of in the game thread little before half needs acknowledgement.

Deguara continues to shine in his role for our system when he gets snaps IMO. Last night mainly called upon to block, he did well...there were a few routes where he undressed his man but wasn't first read and were quick passes so progression didn't get it to him.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Defense: P. Smith, Gary, Alexander
Offense: Jones, Rodgers, Watkins

O-line was good for the most part. 203 yds total rushing. Little shaky on pass protection.

Special teams look much improved from last year. No major gaffs. FG operation much more smooth.

Duds
Defense: interior D-line and ILB's got dominated in the run game.

Offense: Nijman gave up 2 sacks. Meyers gave up penetration on a couple of runs which were blown up.

Overall, the game plan was solid. Get more touches for Jones and Dillon. Opened up the play action game for Rodgers.

Except for the run defense, the team showed improvement. Now whether they can go into Tampa Bay and get a win looks like a tall order.
Had Chicago recovered Rodgers' fumble on that return that could have been a sour turning point in this game. I really don't trust him back there.

Reaction score
Had Chicago recovered Rodgers' fumble on that return that could have been a sour turning point in this game. I really don't trust him back there.
I think the weather factored some there. I saw at one point it was raining and we saw a few snaps that were shaky also from Center. Amari actually had a nice 20 yard PR mixed in there.

This next part is my interpretation on returning. I feel like when you are winning by several scores and it’s wet out there? That isn’t a time you field any questionable Punts that might be tougher to field or even Kickoffs into the Endzone. Just take the Touchback whenever possible rather than running it out to the 24 yard line (-1) and risking an unnecessary fumble, that as you pointed out, could change the complexity. I’d almost rather the ball roll 10 yards on the wet surface than give them free bonus points on our side of the field and blow momentum up.
This is even more true when your Punter is just killing it with a 61 yard average.

Now if you are down 2 scores totally different story.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

It's only scary if you presume that Rodgers has forgotten how to hand-off and will continue to screw up the exchange, or that Myers can't actually snap on time and the snap that hit Watson wasn't a fluke.

I think neither of those things. So I'm not scared.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This game is the formula for how the Packers want to play in 2022.

The running backs were both heavily involved and effective.

The ball was getting spread around very evenly in the passing game.

The defense was stifling and allowed the offense to do whatever it wanted to do and stay unpredictable.

The special teams were effective and efficient.

The flies in the ointment were/are:

-The OL isn't quite there yet; they're still learning to play together and Jenkins is still on his way back to form.

-The Bears are going to be in contention for the #1 overall pick; most teams won't make it this easy.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Jaire
Rashan/Preston
Jones/Dillon
Cobb/Sammy

Duds:
O-Line
Run D, esp with the way Montgomery bulled his way through.

Reaction score
Some points I’d make.

I think it was smart relying on our veterans more. Particularly with our RB group.

That Dillon made an incredible catch with a defender hanging in him. He rarely drops a ball that touches his hands and we should consider giving him a few more designated plays in passing game.

It’s unfortunate, but Lazard did not look completely healed up. If his injury is going to linger anywhere near trade deadline, then we need to consider bringing in outside veteran help at WR.

I predict Romeo Doubs will be our WR1 or WR2 by 2023/2024. That cat can scoot. Once he gets that playbook down and a tick better timing, he’s going to damage opponents regularly. He reminds me of a cross between young Adams and young Hoody

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones reminded us what he is capable of, Jenkins made an immediate impact. Call Tyler Ervin.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember defending Dillon's receiving ability given work outs and how natural he looked at pro days and combine when others were attacking that as a weak point on him...dude just keeps amazing me even more so because at times he is showing he's better than I ever envisioned really.

FTR it wasn't until this year he has credited drop on any target and overall Dillon has had 48 targets, 1 drop and has a catch % of 87.5%. Dude is a beast, and not just when handing him the ball.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones reminded us what he is capable of, Jenkins made an immediate impact. Call Tyler Ervin.

Jenkins was uncharacteristically weak in his pass protection at first actually IMO, yes his presence overall and especially as he got his game legs back in him he enhances our OL for sure.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some points I’d make.

I think it was smart relying on our veterans more. Particularly with our RB group.

That Dillon made an incredible catch with a defender hanging in him. He rarely drops a ball that touches his hands and we should consider giving him a few more designated plays in passing game.

It’s unfortunate, but Lazard did not look completely healed up. If his injury is going to linger anywhere near trade deadline, then we need to consider bringing in outside veteran help at WR.

I predict Romeo Doubs will be our WR1 or WR2 by 2023/2024. That cat can scoot. Once he gets that playbook down and a tick better timing, he’s going to damage opponents regularly. He reminds me of a cross between young Adams and young Hoody
I think the rookie WR's both need some downfield touches for one, just to develop. Lazard looked like he took a hard hit and was hurting from that, he should be okay. Both RB's are studs, Rodgers didn't play great and missed on a few, but it was a step forward.

Reaction score
I think the rookie WR's both need some downfield touches for one, just to develop. Lazard looked like he took a hard hit and was hurting from that, he should be okay. Both RB's are studs, Rodgers didn't play great and missed on a few, but it was a step forward.
Yes I agree we need to get them involved. But to initiate the season after a 0-1 Intra-divisional start is not the time imo.
We need to be patient for a couple games and use our veterans and feed those young guys just enough to see who’s who.
By mid season we can ramp those guys up more. Right now we need to put our best, most proven veteran on that field and get some W’s.

Randall and Sammy were a good example of how different a veteran plays compared to a green pea. But yes I absolutely agree that we eventually want them involved.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Usually I see and give alot of across the board duds but I only saw one this week, otherwise all duds are situational

Duds:

Watson - This kid is giving me Brian Brohm vibes

Jenkins - Horrible game for him but with his first game action in almost a year I'd say it's more rust than anything. How do you bearhug a guy and STILL give up a sack?

Campbell - 4th quarter final Bears drive when they almost scored he was bad. 2 missed tackles and on both he damn near corkscrewed himself into the turf.

Rodgers - Pocket presence and running TOWARD pressure was a problem most of the night.

Studs:

Rush attack - Jones/Dillon and the O-Line did a great job. Whether it's because Hanson is out and Newman is back inside or if it's because they ran it more times, don't know, but also really don't care. VAST improvement over Minnesota.

Lazard - Big impact with his blocking in the run game and pretty much on one wheel by the 2nd quarter.

Pass Rush - I honestly thought with Zadarius Smith gone that this would regress but WOW significant improvement so far.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins was uncharacteristically weak in his pass protection at first actually IMO, yes his presence overall and especially as he got his game legs back in him he enhances our OL for sure.
Collins kept saying how we got our R tackle back. But Jenkins rarely played tackle, even in college I think. And maybe he is just a lot more valuable on the inside. Maybe it's because he's been out but he got beat a lot more times than his guy actually pressured Rodgers because the pass got off quickly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lmao … you don’t trust a 4 time mvp. Nobody is perfect … but I’d really be curious to know who you would trust instead… and you don’t get to say Brady… there is only one of him.
I think she was talking about Amari as the return man.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think she was talking about Amari as the return man.
Yeah I deleted the post after thinking about it more… I guess we need first names. lol…. and incidentally I agree with her re: Amari Rodgers.

Members online

Latest posts