NFCCG 2016 -- revenge tour goes to Atlanta!!

Drew

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As explosive as the Falcons are on offense, I still believe Dallas was a better overall team. The Cowboys sole mistake despite Elliott having a great game was not feeding Dez the ball early and often, a mistake I feel Atlanta will not be making with Julio.

Our secondary is not built to handle all the speed Atlanta brings, yes our linebackers are fast but Atlanta is faster and our DBs will get burned if Ryan gets time in the pocket. The only way we slow down their offense is to play physical with their receivers, gamble on press coverage and get after Ryan. We will lose every time to soft coverages.

Offensively I'm not super concerned, Atlanta's defense does not frighten me, especially their red zone defense. No one on that team is threatening Rodgers- that being said I am fully expecting we utilize Michaels more to balance out our pass and run attack. I suspect Atlanta will be using more of a spy/contain strategy with an occasional outside blitz to keep Rodgers inside the pocket.

I predict a fairly high scoring game, 34 to 37 in favor of the Pack.

A lot of people are down playing our defense because of some of the hideous metrics we have but i really like the way they play, especially down the stretch. Here is the real truth. We are probably somewhere around between 12th -16th ranked overall and trending upward. In 12 games this season to include the Seattle win, we have had double digit leads in the fourth qtr, sometimes by more the 20 points. When this happens we go to a real soft cover 3 prevent, that usually results in long drives and a scores against us. This is why the metrics are skewed. 3 weeks ago we were beating the Saints 35-10 at HT and we shut it down to the point were we barely hung on. We even had a 17 point lead on the Chargers and totally blew the game. I'm not worried about this week because there is not such thing as a safe lead vs GB and too much at stake.

Looking at the games we lost, the only team that really took it to us was the Eagles and they pounded the rock on us in Philly and played keep away on a muddy surface. Other teams that beat us put up decent rushing numbers. Chiefs beat us with a kick off return, a pick six, a pick 2 and a fake punt for a TD. Bucs beat us at home on Opening day in a shootout by a TD, but the offense didn't know what they had and Doug Martin had a great day. Seattle got us in Seattle by pressuring the crap out of Matt in the first half. Chargers RB had a decent day too.

Mcarthy is a great coach and will try to exploit this with Ty Montgomery, especially coming out of the backfield with catches. He is a bad match up for us unlike Rawls who is not a threat to catch. If the Falcons D cannot stop Ty I think its going to be a long day.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I never said GB had a bad defense. I think they are solid. I am just stating that our defense is not as bad as the media are talking about.
You made comments about how your defense faired vs certain qb..

Just showing what GB Def did in last few games

Skerfalcon8710

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey just wanted to drop by and say thanks for having me earlier this week and discussing a lot of great football!

As any good sport and fan should do I will stop back Sunday/Monday to wish y'all good luck the rest of the way IF you win, I will also stop by to say great game IF we win. Obviously I prefer the 2nd statement ;).

Here's to a great NFCCG!! May the best team win!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey just wanted to drop by and say thanks for having me earlier this week and discussing a lot of great football!

As any good sport and fan should do I will stop back Sunday/Monday to wish y'all good luck the rest of the way IF you win, I will also stop by to say great game IF we win. Obviously I prefer the 2nd statement ;).

Here's to a great NFCCG!! May the best team win!

When we win, some will give ya crap, but I hope they remain classy.

If you win, please try to remain classy...

Skerfalcon8710

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we win, some will give ya crap, but I hope they remain classy.

If you win, please try to remain classy...
I can deal with the Ish talking and I have n0 plans to talk Ish. I think you and I see eye to eye on things. I'm not trying to make our fans and city look like a bunch of jacka$$'s

Just feel it wouldn't be right if I didn't come converse and say something after spending a solid 48 hrs non stop talking on y'alls boards lols I think I fill about 14 of these pages alone

Skerfalcon8710

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Nelson and Adams both can't play, it's going to be very hard for the Packers to win this one.

I believe Adams will play but will not be as explosive.regardless he will still draw attention from probably jalen Collins to acct for the size.. leaving Alford on Cobb which scares me the most.. Alford is very up and down... tough to say what we will Get. He got burnt by Baldwin a few times last week.

What's up with Allison? Saw that he was down with a hamstring? I doubt its major but I'm curious

D

Deleted member 6794

Our secondary is not built to handle all the speed Atlanta brings, yes our linebackers are fast but Atlanta is faster and our DBs will get burned if Ryan gets time in the pocket.

I have absolutely no idea which Packers linebackers you´re talking about.

whats up with tretter?

Tretter has been bothered by a knee injury since suffering it in week 8 which kept him out against the Cowboys.

A lot of people are down playing our defense because of some of the hideous metrics we have but i really like the way they play, especially down the stretch. Here is the real truth. We are probably somewhere around between 12th -16th ranked overall and trending upward. In 12 games this season to include the Seattle win, we have had double digit leads in the fourth qtr, sometimes by more the 20 points. When this happens we go to a real soft cover 3 prevent, that usually results in long drives and a scores against us. This is why the metrics are skewed. 3 weeks ago we were beating the Saints 35-10 at HT and we shut it down to the point were we barely hung on. We even had a 17 point lead on the Chargers and totally blew the game. I'm not worried about this week because there is not such thing as a safe lead vs GB and too much at stake.

There´s absolutely no doubt the Falcons defense isn´t as good as any of the four top six scoring defenses the Packers have faced over the last six weeks scoring 38, 38, 38 and 34 points in those games. Therefore I´m sorry that we aren´t worried about Atlanta´s unit.

I believe Adams will play but will not be as explosive.regardless he will still draw attention from probably jalen Collins to acct for the size.. leaving Alford on Cobb which scares me the most.. Alford is very up and down... tough to say what we will Get. He got burnt by Baldwin a few times last week.

What's up with Allison? Saw that he was down with a hamstring? I doubt its major but I'm curious

It seems the Falcons cornerbacks aren´t any better than the Packers´ one as their top three CBS gave up passer ratings of 135.9 (Robert Alford), 118.8 (Jalen Collins) and 118.8 (Brian Poole) when targeted against Seattle. Collectively, they surrendered 10 receptions for 178 yards and a touchdown on 13 targets. This isn´t a recipe for success when facing Rodgers and the best pass blocking offensive line in the league.

The Packers didn´t reveal any information about the severity of Allison´s injury but I´m worried about hamstring injuries around here.

Skerfalcon8710

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea which Packers linebackers you´re talking about.

Tretter has been bothered by a knee injury since suffering it in week 8 which kept him out against the Cowboys.

There´s absolutely no doubt the Falcons defense isn´t as good as any of the four top six scoring defenses the Packers have faced over the last six weeks scoring 38, 38, 38 and 34 points in those games. Therefore I´m sorry that we aren´t worried about Atlanta´s unit.

It seems the Falcons cornerbacks aren´t any better than the Packers´ one as their top three CBS gave up passer ratings of 135.9 (Robert Alford), 118.8 (Jalen Collins) and 118.8 (Brian Poole) when targeted against Seattle. Collectively, they surrendered 10 receptions for 178 yards and a touchdown on 13 targets. This isn´t a recipe for success when facing Rodgers and the best pass blocking offensive line in the league.

The Packers didn´t reveal any information about the severity of Allison´s injury but I´m worried about hamstring injuries around here.

Well if you watched the game Seattle got off to a hot start. Scored a TD and didn't sniff the end zone untill 3 minutes left in the game. Yea they had some high ratings but those are deceiving. Alford gave up a 35 yard TD 1 play after chasing Devin Hester 70 yards down the field on a huge kick return with the game in hand 36-13 The very first play Baldwin ran a fly route and Alford had no chance.
48 yards came against collins on a single play on an absolutely ridiculous catch made by Richardson and 35 more on a crossing pattern to Richardson. That drive stalled and they settled for a field goal. There is 118 of your yards you were just talking about in 3 plays..

Now I'm not saying our corners are perfect by any means but you need to have some perspective of where and when those plays were made. Yea Alford's rating looks terrible but that play came with 3 minutes left with the game in hand..

Yes Rodgers is great and I have no doubt he will make plenty of plays. Our corners are better at Press than Zone and if you watch the coaches film from week 8 you will see our cbs are capable of taking away all of your receivers for extended amounts of time. We gave up 1 pass play of 17 yards in the 2nd half to Rodgers. Besides that his completions were either quick throws along the LOS or passes into the flat for small gains.. if we can force Aaron to play small ball we have a higher chance to win..

If we sit back and play zone like we did the first half he will carve us up and the game will be over before it began.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well if you watched the game Seattle got off to a hot start. Scored a TD and didn't sniff the end zone untill 3 minutes left in the game. Yea they had some high ratings but those are deceiving. Alford gave up a 35 yard TD 1 play after chasing Devin Hester 70 yards down the field on a huge kick return with the game in hand 36-13 The very first play Baldwin ran a fly route and Alford had no chance.
48 yards came against collins on a single play on an absolutely ridiculous catch made by Richardson and 35 more on a crossing pattern to Richardson. That drive stalled and they settled for a field goal. There is 118 of your yards you were just talking about in 3 plays..

Now I'm not saying our corners are perfect by any means but you need to have some perspective of where and when those plays were made. Yea Alford's rating looks terrible but that play came with 3 minutes left with the game in hand..

Yes Rodgers is great and I have no doubt he will make plenty of plays. Our corners are better at Press than Zone and if you watch the coaches film from week 8 you will see our cbs are capable of taking away all of your receivers for extended amounts of time. We gave up 1 pass play of 17 yards in the 2nd half to Rodgers. Besides that his completions were either quick throws along the LOS or passes into the flat for small gains.. if we can force Aaron to play small ball we have a higher chance to win..

If we sit back and play zone like we did the first half he will carve us up and the game will be over before it began.

Well, giving up big plays is a huge problem for defensive backs though, especially when facing a red hot quarterback like Rodgers. The Packers cornerbacks have been able to make decent plays at various points as well but have given up way too many long completions.

You can twist and wriggle the numbers as much as you like but it´s abundantly clear Atlanta´s defense isn´t significantly better than the Packers´ unit.

Skerfalcon8710

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, giving up big plays is a huge problem for defensive backs though, especially when facing a red hot quarterback like Rodgers. The Packers cornerbacks have been able to make decent plays at various points as well but have given up way too many long completions.

You can twist and wriggle the numbers as much as you like but it´s abundantly clear Atlanta´s defense isn´t significantly better than the Packers´ unit.
Nobody is saying it is.. I'm not twisting anything I'm just putting your claims into proper context. Bothe defenses suck we're just lucky that at least ours is fast.. yours not so much especially in the corners

D

Deleted member 6794

Nobody is saying it is.. I'm not twisting anything I'm just putting your claims into proper context. Bothe defenses suck we're just lucky that at least ours is fast.. yours not so much especially in the corners

There´s a huge difference between being fast on a track and playing fast on a football field though. Don´t get me wrong I´m well aware that the Packers defense will struggle to contain Atlanta´s offense but I really have a tough time understanding the confidence shown by Falcons fans about their ability to stop Green Bay´s offense.

Skerfalcon8710

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s a huge difference between being fast on a track and playing fast on a football field though. Don´t get me wrong I´m well aware that the Packers defense will struggle to contain Atlanta´s offense but I really have a tough time understanding the confidence shown by Falcons fans about their ability to stop Green Bay´s offense.
Well if you watch the all 22 film of the 2nd half of our week 8 game you would see why but I'm not gonna force you. You'll have a front row seat Sunday to what I'm talking about.

There is a reason Rodgers went from throwing 3 TDs in 1 half while we played zone to only throwing 1 with 5 minutes to go the second half and then going 1/4 for 7 yards with 45 seconds and a chance to get a fg for the win after we took the lead. There was no last second heroics due to the press coverage defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

We did well without Jordy the second half of the Giants game and v Dallas.

True, but without Adams and Allison, who both weren´t able to practice yesterday, it would be extremely difficult to be successful even against a below average defense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy sounds like that Rams fan. I" know we could lose, but let me tell you every way in which this team is completely superior to God in every way imaginable on the football field". LOL

D

Deleted member 6794

Well if you watch the all 22 film of the 2nd half of our week 8 game you would see why but I'm not gonna force you. You'll have a front row seat Sunday to what I'm talking about.

There is a reason Rodgers went from throwing 3 TDs in 1 half while we played zone to only throwing 1 with 5 minutes to go the second half and then going 1/4 for 7 yards with 45 seconds and a chance to get a fg for the win after we took the lead. There was no last second heroics due to the press coverage defense.

Rodgers and the Packers offense were in the midst of a period in which they struggled at the time we faced the Falcons in week 8 but yet were able to score 32 points. Once again, in my opinion it´s ridiculous to think Atlanta´s defense is anywhere near as good as one of the four top six defenses the Packers faced over the last few weeks while averaging 37 points in those games. I´m done arguing with you about it though as it seems you´re confident Quinn has found Rodgers´ kyrptonite because of having had some success in the second half nearly three months ago.

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Atlanta would love a shoot out. One edge we have is making big plays on defense. Atlanta has a better turnover margin that GB and we turned 5 of those turn overs into defensive TDs (tied for league lead). The more you make teams throw it, the more likely you are the get a strip sack or INT. We get a lot of our quick productions on the ground as well. We just don't have to take as many chances to get quick production on offense as most teams.

I'm sorry, but I can't at all see Dan sitting over there saying he'd love to get into shootout with Aaron and the streak he's been on. Not happening. Especially under a guise of 'well maybe we'll get a turnover' from a guy who has a 40 to 7 TD-INT ratio this season. Dan Quinn wants the Green Bay defense on the field, as long as possible, for a couple of reasons: Our defense hasn't been great, but his has been worse statistically.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Another interesting point is Quinn was coaching against his former team last Sunday. I know leading up to the game Seahawks fans were quite concerened about him knowing how to pick there D apart. Also, That Seahawk secondary was even more beat up then when we played them. A couple of the Seahawks db's looked lost and Terrell must of cost Seahawks about a 100 yards by poor tackling alone. I expect our guys to play better. It was impressive for Falcons to contain Seattle's front but we had similar success.

Also, I wouldn't get all that excited about slowing down a very inconsistent Seahawk offense with the worst OL in the NFL and missing two of there biggest "speed players".

A lot of teams shut the Seahawks down this year so i dont wanna hear all this "battle tested" crap.

We've had a much tougher road in the playoffs to get to this point.

Last edited:

Drew

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another interesting point is Quinn was coaching against his former team last Sunday. I know leading up to the game Seahawks fans were quite concerened about him knowing how to pick there D apart. Also, That Seahawk secondary was even more beat up then when we played them. A couple of the Seahawks db's looked lost amd Terrell must of cost Seahawks about a 100 yards by poor tackling alone. I expect our guya to play better. It was impressive for Falcons to contain Seattle's front but we had similar success.

Also, I wouldn't get all that excited about slowing down a very inconsistent Seahawk offense witb the worst OL in the NFL and missing two of there biggest "speed players".

A lot of teams shut the Seahawks down this year so i dont wanna hear all this "battle tested" crap.

We've had a much tougher road in the playoffs to get to this point.

You do understand the Falcons had the toughest Strength of schedule going into the season? You had a tough road because you started 4-6.

D

Deleted member 6794

You do understand the Falcons had the toughest Strength of schedule going into the season? You had a tough road because you started 4-6.

The strength of schedule entering this season doesn´t matter one bit at this point of the season. Taking this year´s results into consideration the Falcons finished with only the 25th toughest SOS.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Members online