MM signs new contract

H

HardRightEdge

MM accepts penalties after 3rd down stops frequently. I highly doubt he doesn't know the down considering he could just look at the scoreboard or marker easily. I bet it's for fields position. Considering the sack, this one worked out. I've seen him do it before to make FGs tougher as well.
Taking a penalty when the opponent is in FG range is an entirely different matter. That's why I made a point of saying the ball was in the opponent's territory. Giving the opponent another shot at 3rd. down in order to get 5 yds. of field position is a poor proposition.

You can overlook a bad a decision when the outcome is favorable and the game turns into a blowout, but that doesn't exempt it from being a bad decision.

Given the brain fart decision to challenge a 3 yd. gain that did not go for a first down, erroneously processing down and distance is within McCarthy's capability.

Maybe he did look at the scoreboard on that earlier play and it had not flipped to 4th. down yet. Hard to say what happened exactly to account for such a bad decision. On the 3 yarder, it's possible he glanced at the LOS marker and thought it was the first down marker...or maybe he was giddy with victory and just lost his head. Hard to account for that either.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking a penalty when the opponent is in FG range is an entirely different matter. That's why I made a point of saying the ball was in the opponent's territory. Giving the opponent another shot at 3rd. down in order to get 5 yds. of field position is a poor proposition.

You can overlook a bad a decision when the outcome is favorable and the game turns into a blowout, but that doesn't exempt it from being a bad decision.

Given the brain fart decision to challenge a 3 yd. gain that did not go for a first down, erroneously processing down and distance is within McCarthy's capability.

Maybe he did look at the scoreboard on that earlier play and it had not flipped to 4th. down yet. Hard to say what happened exactly to account for such a bad decision. On the 3 yarder, it's possible he glanced at the LOS marker and thought it was the first down marker...or maybe he was giddy with victory and just lost his head. Hard to account for that either.

Good point about not being in our territory.

In a 55-14 game, it's clear he did an overall good job in the game though.

H

HardRightEdge

Good point about not being in our territory.

In a 55-14 game, it's clear he did an overall good job in the game though.
I'm not a black-and-white, all-or-nothing kind of guy. While McCarthy regularly gaffes as a game manager, I wouldn't trade him.

However, calls like going for it on 4th. down in his own territory down only 7 points with nearly a half left to play presents a very poor risk/reward proposition. Failure amounts to a turnover. And we know what happens week in and week out in the NFL when you turn it over in your own territory...an opponent TD follows with high frequency. He might as well have hoisted a sign saying, "Rodgers cannot outscore Brees with this defense of mine". True or not, the proclamation compounds the problem and diminishes the chance to win.

Either he needs more/better help coming through that headset or he needs to give up the play calling to the booth.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
verbally--- Not rocket science.

I follow the team pretty closely and remember no such thing occurring.

And troll-boy how about keeping a civil tongue in your head? Apparently the anonymity of the internet let's your true nature shine through. Another idiot on the list.

D

Dan115

I follow the team pretty closely and remember no such thing occurring.

And troll-boy how about keeping a civil tongue in your head? Apparently the anonymity of the internet let's your true nature shine through. Another idiot on the list.

OH my God--- LOL I am a troll LOL wow --- Hey budding just have a beer and cool it. Hopefully Capers will be able to leave on his own accord. I see your new here. Ok

D

Deleted member 6794

I was looking at the replay of the first half of the Bears game and was reminded of a couple of things that could be easily overlooked in the blowout:

Early in the game before it had gotten out of hand, the Bears were flagged for a 5 yd. penalty. Instead of declining, resulting in 4th. and 7 for the Bears in their own territory, McCarthy accepted the penalty making it 3rd. and 12. He lost track of the down and distance; Matthews bailed him out with that artful head fake sack off the edge.

These are two more instances of gaffes in the game manager department.

I agree with you that McCarthy isn´t a great game manager. The incident in the Bears game you´re talking about was a delay of game penatly though and McCarthy can´t decline that one.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with you that McCarthy isn´t a great game manager. The incident in the Bears game you´re talking about was a delay of game penatly though and McCarthy can´t decline that one.
That's what I get for fast forwarding between plays.

A delay of game penalty can be declined but there would be no loss of down, so your point is well taken.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel as their starter in 2008.

Yes, BB has done it without Brady before, though there obviously are other factors involved in that one. I think what people generally have overlooked with the Pats is that BB had some bad years in Cleveland sure, and even his first year with the Pats didn't go well, but he's found a killer coaching staff during his time in New England to put his players in positions to succeed. A lot of credit goes and rightfully so to Charlie Weis during those Superbowl win years, the guy may have been a lousy head coach, but he was a genius coordinator. Same with McDaniels and other position coaches like Chad O'Shea and Ivan Fears.

Mike McCarthy has done the same here to help Rodgers succeed. People say it was Philbin during our good years, but who hired Philbin in the first place? That was MM's call. But all that to say, his influence on these assistant coaches are why people like Philbin, and like McAdoo end up getting promoted. Wouldn't surprise me if soon Tom Clements ended up stepping up the ladder.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wouldn't surprise me if soon Tom Clements ended up stepping up the ladder.

I agree with most of your post but I don't think Clements is in line for a promotion. He's 61 years old and has never been a head coach at any level, hard to imagine an NFL would be interested in him taking over as a HC.

Members online

Latest posts