MM signs new contract

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If/when we part ways with Dom Capers, he will immediately be signed by another team. He is one of the great defensive minds in the NFL. You cannot be a dominant defense without players that can execute. We are a good nose tackle and a DE from being that dominant Defense. I am frankly surprised he hasn't been given another HC job.

He was, but not anymore. In 5 out of 6 seasons with the Packers, Capers defenses have been in the bottom 10 of the league. That is no accident.

If you say we haven't had good defensive players, then you're saying TT is bad at drafting.

But then people here are saying MM made Rodgers into the great QB he is. So if Capers is such a great DC, why can't he turn all those draft picks from TT into great players?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are the Packers. We expect multiple championships. We are NOT the Bears who are just happy to make the playoffs.

He got one a few years ago. How fast does the second one have to come in order to satisfy you?

The Packers have been one of the best in the league since McCarthy's arrival.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can imagine some are not thrilled about this

"Correct-o-mundo!"

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

In his 9 seasons he has lead us to the playoffs 6 times, we have 4 NFC North championships, 1 NFC Championship and a Super Bowl title and still have an incredibly talented team, especially on offense. I like Coach McCarthy and that type of success should bring extended contracts.

We've slid in the wrong direction since our magical run in 2011. This extension reflects a certain complacency with being consistently "pretty good."

I like the tone McCarthy sets as a manager but I'm underwhelmed by his strategic decision-making. I don't love this extension but, Like Fonzie, I can be cool...

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've slid in the wrong direction since our magical run in 2011.

Yes, we won that SB as a #6 seed. We snuck up on everyone that year. Since then everyone knew about us and prepared for us, and the really good teams have figured MM out. They know how to beat us.

Reaction score
If you don't like MM sticking around, you have no idea what good in the NFL is and/or have ridiculously high expectations.
Also, the trade value for McCarthy would be through the roof if other teams were offering for him.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've slid in the wrong direction since our magical run in 2011. This extension reflects a certain complacency with being consistently "pretty good."

A slide since the 201o/2011 Super Bowl? The next year we nearly went undefeated in the regular season and won the NFC north to only be defeated by the team who won the Super Bowl and got hot at the end of the year. The next year we went to the playoffs again and won the NFC North, won a playoff game and was defeated by the team who went to the Super Bowl. The next year McCarthy coached a team to the playoffs despite not having one of the best QBs in the league for several games (toward the end of the year no less) and yet another NFC North Championship. This season we are 5-3 and in line to fight to make history with winning the NFC North Championship for a 4th time in a row. We can get into 2 out of the 3 years we were 1 and done (one occurred after we had a first round bye) but to say we have "slid" is debatable. A coach with this success deserves a contract. People worry about Rodgers' "prime" years. Making a head coaching change now while having success actually could throw things off balance in these "prime" years.

But, this is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

Last edited:
D

Dan115

MM will make the Capers decision at seasons end. If merit MM will NOT hesitate to let him go. Capers was put on notice at the end of last year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He was, but not anymore. In 5 out of 6 seasons with the Packers, Capers defenses have been in the bottom 10 of the league. That is no accident.
Capers has been DC for 5 full seasons but even if you include this one-half regular season I have to ask: By what measure has Capers’ defenses been in the bottom 10 of the league in 5 seasons? Certainly not in points surrendered. Since 2009 the Packers D has finished: 7th, 2nd, 19th, 11th, tied for 24th, and 19th so far this season. I consider points surrendered more important than yards surrendered but no stat is a perfect reflection of the quality, or lack thereof, of a defense. So of course you must be strictly relying on yards surrendered to back up your 5 out of 6 assertion. Opps. Wrong again. Since 2009 the Packers D has finished 2nd, 5th, 32nd, 11th, 25th, and 25th so far this season.

So the Packers D under Capers has finished in the bottom 10 once in points surrendered and 3 times (so far this season) in yards surrendered. I am not an apologist for Capers. I called for his firing previously and if the D doesn't improve significantly I'll be calling for it again this season. So I understand the frustration of Packers fans with the defense. But why did you engage in this kind of gross exaggeration? Didn't you know the facts? And if you didn’t why not check them out before posting? Was it just a lack of even an attempt at objectivity?

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel as their starter in 2008.

And the Patriots were 5-13 under Belichick before Brady and had 4 losing seasons out of five in Cleveland. Can't pick out one good season without Brady and only use that.

Overall, he was not successful until Brady came around.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score

If you say we haven't had good defensive players, then you're saying TT is bad at drafting.

But then people here are saying MM made Rodgers into the great QB he is. So if Capers is such a great DC, why can't he turn all those draft picks from TT into great players?
Not at all, TT is a great drafter. We are a draft and develop team. This D has been in a rebuild mode since the 2010 season. We don't get to pick the really big dominant guys at the top of each round. TT has to find the talent that's left after the harvest and there are only so many big guys and immediate impact players around. Look at the play makers on D we lost over that period. Bishop, Collins, Wood started having injury issues, Williams was injured, Jenkins left in Free agency. That is a lot of great core players to have to replace.

TT has been rebuilding this defense. Some of the players have not progressed as fast as we would like, mostly due to injury issues but they are starting to Gel now. Look at our secondary and our safety's. The loss of Raji was huge to this run defense. There are still a couple of holes we need to fix but we are on the verge.

Capers needs play makers to run his playbook. You look at Pittsburgh and the drop in thier D since 2010, they are also retooling. **** Lebau and Dom Capers run the same playbook.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not at all, TT is a great drafter. We are a draft and develop team. This D has been in a rebuild mode since the 2010 season. We don't get to pick the really big dominant guys at the top of each round. TT has to find the talent that's left after the harvest and there are only so many big guys and immediate impact players around. Look at the play makers on D we lost over that period. Bishop, Collins, Wood started having injury issues, Williams was injured, Jenkins left in Free agency. That is a lot of great core players to have to replace.

TT has been rebuilding this defense. Some of the players have not progressed as fast as we would like, mostly due to injury issues but they are starting to Gel now. Look at our secondary and our safety's. The loss of Raji was huge to this run defense. There are still a couple of holes we need to fix but we are on the verge.

Capers needs play makers to run his playbook. You look at Pittsburgh and the drop in thier D since 2010, they are also retooling. **** Lebau and Dom Capers run the same playbook.

Yea but Lebeau has more rings and appearances on the SB.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the defense doesn't improve and Capers is brought back it will say a lot about TT and MM. Ppl say you can't fire capers during the season and I ask why not? It's not something that's normally done but I don't think it would hurt us as bad as some of you make it sound.
It might not hurt much if they did but it wouldn't help either,they would simply promote Winston Moss to the DC position,have the same players and he would more than likely run the same scheme at least through this year anyway.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A slide since the 201o/2011 Super Bowl? The next year we nearly went undefeated in the regular season and won the NFC north to only be defeated by the team who won the Super Bowl and got hot at the end of the year. The next year we went to the playoffs again and won the NFC North, won a playoff game and was defeated by the team who went to the Super Bowl. The next year McCarthy coached a team to the playoffs despite not having one of the best QBs in the league for several games (toward the end of the year no less) and yet another NFC North Championship. This season we are 5-3 and in line to fight to make history with winning the NFC North Championship for a 4th time in a row. We can get into 2 out of the 3 years we were 1 and done (one occurred after we had a first round bye) but to say we have "slid" is debatable. A coach with this success deserves a contract. People worry about Rodgers' "prime" years. Making a head coaching change now while having success actually could throw things off balance in these "prime" years.

But, this is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.
As a whole I can't say the Packers have slid since 2010,the rank of the Offense has been up in the top% since,it has been the failure to this point to successfully restock the talent on the Defense,although not a sure fire yardstick,in 2010 the Packers defense had 5 pro bowl players and 0 in 2013,something's not working there for that D but MM's record speaks for itself,if he and TT can get that defense fixed some time before AR is 40 we might see another Super Bowl.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a whole I can't say the Packers have slid since 2010,the rank of the Offense has been up in the top% since,it has been the failure to this point to successfully restock the talent on the Defense,although not a sure fire yardstick,in 2010 the Packers defense had 5 pro bowl players and 0 in 2013,something's not working there for that D but MM's record speaks for itself,if he and TT can get that defense fixed some time before AR is 40 we might see another Super Bowl.

The defense is definitely the question mark within the team. It'll be interesting to see them with Burnett and Shields back. I view this Sunday as a must-win for the Bears. They'll be throwing it all out there on Sunday.

H

HardRightEdge

I was looking at the replay of the first half of the Bears game and was reminded of a couple of things that could be easily overlooked in the blowout:

Early in the game before it had gotten out of hand, the Bears were flagged for a 5 yd. penalty. Instead of declining, resulting in 4th. and 7 for the Bears in their own territory, McCarthy accepted the penalty making it 3rd. and 12. He lost track of the down and distance; Matthews bailed him out with that artful head fake sack off the edge.

Later, McCarthy challenged a 3 yard gain. Again, he lost track of the down and distance again.

These are two more instances of gaffes in the game manager department.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Broken record, dead horse, whatever, but (1) what happens to that resume without AR and (2) incredibly talented only (not especially) on offense, and even that's only the skill positions.
I've heard claims from time to time that MM gets out-coached far too often. I'm not aware of any glaring examples of this but can someone give some?

EDIT: After reading several more posts, I did see some examples.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was looking at the replay of the first half of the Bears game and was reminded of a couple of things that could be easily overlooked in the blowout:

Early in the game before it had gotten out of hand, the Bears were flagged for a 5 yd. penalty. Instead of declining, resulting in 4th. and 7 for the Bears in their own territory, McCarthy accepted the penalty making it 3rd. and 12. He lost track of the down and distance; Matthews bailed him out with that artful head fake sack off the edge.

Later, McCarthy challenged a 3 yard gain. Again, he lost track of the down and distance again.

These are two more instances of gaffes in the game manager department.

MM accepts penalties after 3rd down stops frequently. I highly doubt he doesn't know the down considering he could just look at the scoreboard or marker easily. I bet it's for fields position. Considering the sack, this one worked out. I've seen him do it before to make FGs tougher as well.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. Take Brady off the Patriots, and I wonder how Belichek would be viewed. Nobody knows, either way, but I think the serendipity can't be overlooked.

The Patriots were 5-13 under Belichick before Brady and had 4 losing seasons out of five in Cleveland.

Members online

Latest posts