MM signs new contract

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If/when we part ways with Dom Capers, he will immediately be signed by another team. He is one of the great defensive minds in the NFL. You cannot be a dominant defense without players that can execute. We are a good nose tackle and a DE from being that dominant Defense. I am frankly surprised he hasn't been given another HC job.

Good post. His scheme is basically a clone of **** LaBeau's, who has had very good defenses for years.

When the scheme has been working elsewhere for years, it's clearly not the problem. LaBeau has had a great nose tackle in Hampton, great OLB's rushing the passer, and an all-pro safety. Perfect example of how players can make big difference in the same scheme.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Good post. His scheme is basically a clone of **** LaBeau's, who has had very good defenses for years.

When the scheme has been working elsewhere for years, it's clearly not the problem. LaBeau has had a great nose tackle in Hampton, great OLB's rushing the passer, and an all-pro safety. Perfect example of how players can make big difference in the same scheme.
Capers and LaBeau wrote this defensive playbook together when LaBeau was the secondary coach under Capers in Pittsburgh. LaBeau has a little Green and Gold in his pedigree, he was a Secondary coach under Bart Starr.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for coach and I think he deserves it. It's so easy to say that without 12 he would be nothing just as you could say the same for just about any coach that has had a stud QB running their offense. Phil Jackson would have been a flame out without MJ, Kobe, Shaq etc. Torre would have been a freeloader had it not been for 2, Mariano, AP etc. I'm not saying that coach M is on those guys level but I've heard the same tired argument made against those legends too. Is he a perfect coach? Absolutely not. Has he won a bunch of games and kept us relevant for a long time? Yep. Also, I think that the way he represents the organization with class needs to be mentioned. I fully understand that results are the absolute bottom line but coach HAS been a rock solid, stabilizing figure for the Packers and I think that by the time he's done will have multiple Lombardis. I just hope that when he's done he gets the respect that I feel he deserves. GPG!

D

Deleted member 6794

Does anyone know what current head coach has been with their franchise the longest?

Only Bill Belichick (15th season), Marvin Lewis (12th) and Tom Coughlin (11th) currently have a longer tenure with their current team than McCarthy.

If/when we part ways with Dom Capers, he will immediately be signed by another team. He is one of the great defensive minds in the NFL. You cannot be a dominant defense without players that can execute. We are a good nose tackle and a DE from being that dominant Defense. I am frankly surprised he hasn't been given another HC job.

Don´t forget about both ILB spots.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets look at it this way: since McCarthy has been coach, the Packers have won two out of three games they've played. The percentage was about the same for Mike Holmgren and Curly Lambeau, though Lambeau coached many more games. Prior to Ron Wolf hiring Holmgren, the Packers roughly LOST two out of three games from the years 1970-1992. I remember very well what Monday mornings were like for more than two decades. You can't win the Super Bowl every year. But you can be in the running for the Super Bowl and McCarthy has done that.
A change of defensive philosophy and personnel could put the Packers ready to contend again. It won't happen this year.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that was your point. My point is that your point could be questioned. I tend to think MM did play a major role in Rodgers development.

OK, both are obviously spending too much time nitpicking, so I'll throw one more out there and relinquish the floor - if we go with your contention, and there's no real reason not to do so, it makes MM a QB coach, not a head coach.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you kidding? What happens to ANY coach when you remove the talent from the team? What a silly question.

Right. Take Brady off the Patriots, and I wonder how Belichek would be viewed. Nobody knows, either way, but I think the serendipity can't be overlooked.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I sure hope you're right and that the Packers give him that chance to be signed by someone else or turn into a HC. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Right. Take Brady off the Patriots, and I wonder how Belichek would be viewed. Nobody knows, either way, but I think the serendipity can't be overlooked.

Well, the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel as their starter in 2008.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel as their starter in 2008.

Exactly. And when Cassel left he turned into poo poo which leads me to believe the HC had more to do with Cassel's success than he did. It is possible. Certain plAyers work in a certain system..Flynn is the prime example of that. I do however believe that if Rodgers had been drafted by SF with their current and past defense of the last five yrs there's no doubt in my mind that he'd have at least. 3 rings.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. And when Cassel left he turned into poo poo which leads me to believe the HC had more to do with Cassel's success than he did. It is possible. Certain plAyers work in a certain system..Flynn is the prime example of that. I do however believe that if Rodgers had been drafted by SF with their current and past defense of the last five yrs there's no doubt in my mind that he'd have at least. 3 rings.

You might be right on that but it really is all up for debate. As the above posts prove, a guy can make the point either way on this. I tend to think he's a good HC but I would REALLY like to see Capers go.

Enough is enough. People can say all they want about the talent but when the Packers can lay some of the biggest eggs in NFL history on defense in the playoffs, that speaks more to the coaching than talent. I'm sorry, if your team was good enough on defense to make it to the playoffs, you have enough talent to not give up 400 plus yards of offense. I look at some of these playoff nightmares on that side of the ball and it's obviously a case of being "outcoached".

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy's new deal is a three year extension which runs through the 2018 season (same as Thompson's contract).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Having Thompson’s and McCarthy’s contracts expire at the same time is great for the organizational structure. There are a lot of advantages to the stability the Packers have experienced with Thompson and McCarthy’s tenure and they obviously get along well. But there are potential problems as well like complacency and stagnation. I thought it was a positive sign that McCarthy directly addressed the problems on defense during the off season. But if the D doesn’t improve over the rest of the season, IMO he has to hire a new DC and I think it's important he step out of his comfort zone and bring in someone from outside the organization.
I do however believe that if Rodgers had been drafted by SF with their current and past defense of the last five yrs there's no doubt in my mind that he'd have at least. 3 rings.
But that's the problem - if Rodgers was drafted by the 49ers there's no way to know what their current coaching staff or roster would look like now. That there’s “no doubt in your mind” says more about your glass-half-full view of the Packers than McCarthy’s role in developing Rodgers.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure the majority on here would be even less thrilled if it was Dom Capers.
If/when we find out that he will still be with us, post that and sit back and watch with a bowl of popcorn.

I hope so. He is the best we got.
And anyone who disagrees, go ahead and send in your resume' to the Packers office.
I would not be surprised if GB resigned Capers, obviously they really like him as their Defensive Coordinator.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if GB resigned Capers, obviously they really like him as their Defensive Coordinator.
And for all the "fire Capers now" people out there IF it happens,it won't happen until after the season TT and co. have never done things that way,firing any one during the season really doesn't help as much as it hurts.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If/when we find out that he will still be with us, post that and sit back and watch with a bowl of popcorn.
Although I am not impressed with Dom Capers if we really look closely at the Defense there isn't a lot of talent,no one on Defense made the Pro Bowl last year and how many have since 2010?The secondary is as sound as it's been in years but that front 7 needs a few more GOOD drafts to shore up the holes but that's another 2-3 years of developing.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the defense doesn't improve and Capers is brought back it will say a lot about TT and MM. Ppl say you can't fire capers during the season and I ask why not? It's not something that's normally done but I don't think it would hurt us as bad as some of you make it sound.

H

HardRightEdge

Locking up McCarthy for the long run is, of course, the right move.

As a lifelong Braves fan dating back to the Milwaukee days, I would draw a comparison between Bobby Cox and McCarthy...among the best in their respective games in matters not related to in-game decision making.

The most recent of many examples was going for it on 4th. down on our own 40 in a 7 point game with 20 minutes left on the clock should have sent the foam bricks flying.

H

HardRightEdge

Capers is 61. His mentor was **** LeBeau, age 77. I expect the Packers to go away from Capers sometime around 2030. I hope to live that long.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Extending MM is the same as extending DC. MM will never get rid of DC.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts