Mike McCarthy's Future

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that some of older fans, who were around to see Lombardi - some of us have a different perspective. Rather than looking at Belichick and thinking "Oh well, he's the best, there's nothing we can do", we wonder why we aren't the best, and what we can do to set the standard, instead of looking up at the standard. Lombardi never would have settled for being second best.
That is my thought process, and I am one of the "younger" fans. If we were doing everything possible to win, and still came up short, that would be acceptable. The problem isn't that our coaching unit isn't the best in the league. It is that it is not good at all. Capers should have been fired after 2012 at the latest. So many first round picks going into this defense, yet they are always a liability. McCarthy simply cannot win without Rodgers. They have wasted many of Rodgers prime years. I hope the fanbase raises some serious hell if they don't clean house after this year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is my thought process, and I am one of the "younger" fans. If we were doing everything possible to win, and still came up short, that would be acceptable. The problem isn't that our coaching unit isn't the best in the league. It is that it is not good at all. Capers should have been fired after 2012 at the latest. So many first round picks going into this defense, yet they are always a liability. McCarthy simply cannot win without Rodgers. They have wasted many of Rodgers prime years. I hope the fanbase raises some serious hell if they don't clean house after this year.

I think Mike has painted himself into a bit of a corner on the Capers situation here. I agree with you that they should have moved on after Colin K embarrassed him in January 2013. Even though his defense was historically bad in 2011, I felt it would have been a knee jerk reaction to get rid of him then. But after 2012-13, it was time.

Unfortunately the longer he waits, the more the problem snowballs and the closer we get to the end of Rodgers' career. We could be in our 5th year of a new system by now. If nothing else, we could more accurately pinpoint the problem if his successor had no additional success.

I don't know what the deal with Capers is. I know he's been around a long time. He's clearly not an idiot. Maybe the league has passed him by and he just can't innovate to new offensive schemes he's seen since 2010. Maybe he can't communicate effectively enough to teach his schemes to today's young players. Maybe he just doesn't have the respect and response of his players anymore. I really don't know. What I do know is we're in the 7th year of his defense just not working, and at some point a change even just for changes' sake is better than the insanity of hoping for better results with the same approach every year just because you're afraid to change.

Mike has staked a lot of his reputation in Capers' success. He has gone on record and spoke about his regard for Capers and how good of a coordinator he is. So far, Capers hasn't rewarded his faith. It's difficult to imagine by this point that he ever will. And so as long as Capers remains, the continued defensive failures reflect just as much on MM for his reluctance to change as they do on Capers.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy stands up there and because he talks about pad level and fundamentals, people have him pegged as this great coach when really he's a guy who's won a bunch of football games because of his all world QB.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much to be said in these last few posts, but I'll just speak in a general nature....

His "fumbles" aside, I'm in favor of Mike McCarthy being retained. Yes, I believe that Favre and Rodgers have won him more than he should have at this point, but like some have already said, what HOF Coach hasn't had a stellar QB. To be honest, I just don't think you get one without the other.

Without going on a complete tangent. Bill Belichick is an anomaly for the NFL being that he is both Head Coach and General Manager with a HOF QB. If something breaks down on the automobile, he gets the exact part he needs almost every time. The bottom of the barrel defense he has this year will probably be a Top 10 or 15 unit next year, and the entire league will be singing his praises yet again. In my honest opinion, the best thing Belichick is great at is Scouting. I'm not an expert on his Drafts but his "batting average" is clearly superb, with or without Brady.

I also think the unique executive structure of the Packers is also part of what brings about our downfalls. An actual owner would have fired TT, MM, or DC or a combination of the three at a couple junctures in the last few years. Without that single figurehead to answer to, change is hard to come by at Lambeau. With that being said, the loss of Rodgers will give Dom Capers especially another "extension" in Green Bay, versus maybe being susceptible to the winds of change had we been knocked out of the playoffs in brutal fashion due to a flappable defense.

This offseason, we could be looking at John Harbaugh, Marvin Lewis, and Chuck Pagano all being available for either a Head Coach or Defensive Coordinator position. There's also John Pagano, Brad Childress, Rod Woodson, and Al Harris (Yea, I said it, lol) who could be looking to walk up and down the sidelines with a headset in 2018. But unfortunately, that most likely won't happen, because of the "perfect storm" we have surrounding the front office and coaching staff.

Members online

Latest posts