Ranking The Top 5 Coaches Who Get Fired (Fairly) This Year

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to leave Hue Jackson off of this list because I don't think if he gets fired out of Cleveland there's going to be a way to say it was "fair" given that mess. Plus who knows what the NFL's historic worst owner of all time in Jed York is going to do since he should be locked up in an insane asylum, so if he only gives KS one year there like he did Chip Kelly, that's definitely not going to be fair either. But any one other of these coaches I think are going to be given a big old boot out the door if they don't have winning seasons or drastic improvement immediately.

1. John Fox - hottest seat
2. Chuck Pagano - a real close second. I rank him above Todd Bowles because the Jets are in the Pats division whereas the Colts have the best QB in the AFC South and have no more excuses to go 8-8.
3. Todd Bowles - I don't think he'll have to go on a winning rampage, but he's going to need to improve to something like 8-8 to stick around another year I think.
4. Marvin Lewis - one more losing season here or making the playoffs and going one and done and this overrated nutjob coach is going to get canned immediately.
5. Sean Payton - one more 7-9 season and that good grace is erased in NO.

On the outer edge not far behind I think are Ron Rivera if the Panthers don't live up to expectations this year, and Jay Gruden. Nearing the bubble but not likely to get fired just yet are John Harbaugh and Bruce Arians. Arians being the least likely since I'd expect the Cardinals will get rid of Carson Palmer first if they do bad this year and have him rear up another QB.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Payton is one of the finest coaches in the NFL, to fire him with the moves NO has made makes little sense. If he is available I think Green Bay might want to take a serious look at him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Payton is one of the finest coaches in the NFL, to fire him with the moves NO has made makes little sense. If he is available I think Green Bay might want to take a serious look at him.

He is reportedly behind a lot of the moves that NO has made.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Todd Bowles is another guy who I think would be fired unfairly, if he is indeed let go. As far as I know, he has no personnel control and that roster is trash.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It was a little puzzling to see them bump him up a big contract right after another 7-9 season, but even so a coach like him who has put up higher bars should be expected to reach them and not miss the playoffs 4 years in a row. They may not outright fire him, but that trade him talk will probably ramp up quite a bit if the status quo remains in New Orleans. The NFC South, with the exceptions of Carolina's few years there has rarely been won back-to-back, but with the mobility that both the Falcons and even the Bucs somewhat got to get a slice of that pie, you can't expect that maintaining the status quo in the big easy is going to keep those fans silent without asking for some kind of big change.

And yeah you can say the problems for the saints come possibly from Loomis's bad defensive draft picks, but Payton's also hired some extremely, and I mean extremely bad DCs like Rob Ryan and Dennis Allen for which he bares responsibility.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt Payton is a great offensive mind but I don't consider him an upgrade over McCarthy in that department. In addition he has had even more troubles featuring a decent defense, therefore I would prefer the Packers to hold on to MM even if the Saints decide to move on from Payton.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints have arguably as good a QB as the Packers have (at least historically) and what have they won recently? Could Payton come in and do with Rodgers what he failed to do with Brees. One can argue its the defense in GB that has held us back but its the same thing in NO. Payton coming here would not give him a better defense. Like WIMM says, I don't see Payton as an upgrade over MM as GB and NO are pretty much the same situation. Great QB, prolific offense and suspect (I'm trying to be kind ) defense and STs.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Payton is living off glory from seven years ago. He's missed the playoffs in four of the last five seasons. He's reportedly been behind the disastrous signings. His name is larger than his actul results.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints have arguably as good a QB as the Packers have (at least historically) and what have they won recently? Could Payton come in and do with Rodgers what he failed to do with Brees. One can argue its the defense in GB that has held us back but its the same thing in NO. Payton coming here would not give him a better defense. Like WIMM says, I don't see Payton as an upgrade over MM as GB and NO are pretty much the same situation. Great QB, prolific offense and suspect (I'm trying to be kind ) defense and STs.

No New Orleans is worse. At least here in GB we've made it to the NFC championship game 2 of the last few years and kept making the playoffs even in years with defensive deficiencies and for the few times Rodgers play became a liability. I do actually think Payton is a good coach, but he's getting pretty stale down there and those are some real head scratchers he's made with Rob Ryan and Dennis Allen. I don't think a coach who's won the SB should get fired for a couple bad seasons, but when 7-9 appears to be becoming the norm as it is right now in the big easy, that's plenty cause to think he's starting to lose it. Who knows, maybe they do surprise this year, but if not the firing talks are gonna ramp up big time.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Payton is living off glory from seven years ago. He's missed the playoffs in four of the last five seasons. He's reportedly been behind the disastrous signings. His name is larger than his actul results.

Technically it'd be 3 of the 4 last seasons since he was suspended in 2012. But ever since the fallout of that bountygate incident his squads have been pretty porous on defense for sure. No he doesn't control the defense directly but he's responsible for hiring bad defensive coaches.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Saints basically sink the argument that TT sucks aside from finding Rodgers. Consistent winning like we've seen for years now isn't just automatic because you have a future HOF'er at QB. You still have to be capable when it comes to roster construction.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think a coach who's won the SB should get fired for a couple bad seasons, but when 7-9 appears to be becoming the norm as it is right now in the big easy, that's plenty cause to think he's starting to lose it.

While I agree that a coach who has won the Super Bowl should receive more leeway the team shouldn't have to hold on to him after a couple of disastrous seasons either.

The Saints basically sink the argument that TT sucks aside from finding Rodgers. Consistent winning like we've seen for years now isn't just automatic because you have a future HOF'er at QB. You still have to be capable when it comes to roster construction.

Thompson has been great at finding talent on the offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately he indeed has mostly sucked doing the same on defense over the past six seasons.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson has been great at finding talent on the offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately he indeed has mostly sucked doing the same on defense over the past six seasons.
What's weird is some of the players he drafts, like Randall and Rollins have talent and look good for rookies, but suddenly their talent disappears the next season. Or like Hayward. Is talented and has a great rookie year and then forgets he is talented and plays marginally for 3 seasons. Then, goes to San Diego and suddenly remembers he is talented.

D

Deleted member 6794

What's weird is some of the players he drafts, like Randall and Rollins have talent and look good for rookies, but suddenly their talent disappears the next season. Or like Hayward. Is talented and has a great rookie year and then forgets he is talented and plays marginally for 3 seasons. Then, goes to San Diego and suddenly remembers he is talented.

While Thompson has definitely drafted some good players on defense in recent years as well there's no denying the Packers have lacked talent on that side of the ball over the last six seasons.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Thompson has definitely drafted some good players on defense in recent years as well there's no denying the Packers have lacked talent on that side of the ball over the last six seasons.
No denying? I don't see it that way. There is another possible, and more plausible explanation for the poor peformance on defense. That is poor coaching. When TT drafts players it is a process. The process for analyzing and rating players for offense is identical for defense as well. There is no reason to think the process will only work on one side of the ball for some positions and not others.

D

Deleted member 6794

No denying? I don't see it that way. There is another possible, and more plausible explanation for the poor peformance on defense. That is poor coaching. When TT drafts players it is a process. The process for analyzing and rating players for offense is identical for defense as well. There is no reason to think the process will only work on one side of the ball for some positions and not others.

Well, the defensive scheme has worked pretty well against offenses ranked outside of the top 10 during Capers tenure as the defensive coordinator. The unit struggles mightily once facing opponents featuring superior talent though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I think it's both. I don't think the defensive coaching has done a great job developing talent, but when TT has swung and missed in the top 3 rounds since 2010, it's mostly been on defense. I'm thinking of guys like Neal, Jones, Worthy, and Thornton.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's both. I don't think the defensive coaching has done a great job developing talent, but when TT has swung and missed in the top 3 rounds since 2010, it's mostly been on defense. I'm thinking of guys like Neal, Jones, Worthy, and Thornton.

While it's still too early to make a fair evaluation it's possible Randall and Rollins fall into that category as well.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the defensive scheme has worked pretty well against offenses ranked outside of the top 10 during Capers tenure as the defensive coordinator. The unit struggles mightily once facing opponents featuring superior talent though.
So your analysis is that the defense does better against bad teams than good teams?

And that leads you to the conclusion there is a lack of defensive talent. Is that correct?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been misses on defense for sure, but on offense as well. I disagree on talent development. There was a stretch where it was sparse. I think the game planning has been poor is the biggest contributed to poor performance

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries have haunted some great GB teams in Thompson's time here.
Hayward tore his hammy OFF damn near. Was career threatening I read. Apparently he is healed now. Lol...
Randall was a shadow of himself to finish the season. Avoiding contact. Rollins disappeared after his mid season injury...
Like adams the year before. I am optimistic guys who played injured last year like Randall/Rollins, Mathews, will back strong!

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technically it'd be 3 of the 4 last seasons since he was suspended in 2012. But ever since the fallout of that bountygate incident his squads have been pretty porous on defense for sure. No he doesn't control the defense directly but he's responsible for hiring bad defensive coaches.

Right. Forgot Bounty gate.

Three straight 7-9 campaigns since blowing the division and suffering a beatdown in Seattle.

This guy is constantly ranked as a top tier coach. He's this generations Bill Cowher. Simply living off one ( Albeit masterful) glorious season where everything fell into place.

D

Deleted member 6794

So your analysis is that the defense does better against bad teams than good teams?

And that leads you to the conclusion there is a lack of defensive talent. Is that correct?

Geez, Amish, while we have definitely disagreed on several topics in the past you should have realized by now that I'm not a complete retard.

The Packers defense has done extremely well compared to the league average against opponents not featuring a top 10 scoring offense during Capers tenure while giving up significantly more points than other teams facing elite offenses (I will provide numbers later in the day).

That makes me believe that the defensive scheme is actually fine as long as the unit isn't overwhelmed by having to line up against an opponent with far superior players.

The unit not having enough talent is solely on Thompson.

Injuries have haunted some great GB teams in Thompson's time here.
Hayward tore his hammy OFF damn near. Was career threatening I read. Apparently he is healed now. Lol...
Randall was a shadow of himself to finish the season. Avoiding contact. Rollins disappeared after his mid season injury...
Like adams the year before. I am optimistic guys who played injured last year like Randall/Rollins, Mathews, will back strong!

It seems a lot of fans using injuries as an excuse don't realize that there's absolutely no chance the Packers stay fully healthy this season or any other for that matter.

Therefore it's extremely important to have quality depth pn the roster. Unfortunately Thompson hasn't provided that at several positions over the last few years with outside and inside linebacker as well as cornerback being reason for concern entering 2017.

Members online

Latest posts