Mike McCarthy's Future

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've wanted to get rid of both of them for years. I've never been a fan of McCarthy at all; he's at best a mediocre game-day coach. He makes the same stupid, stubborn mistakes game after game and year after year, and never seems to learn a damned thing from them.

Season after season, Aaron Rodgers runs up a good enough regular season record against other average coaches to get us into the playoffs, where we run up against better coaches who completely pants McCarthy. In 9 playoff seasons, he's only won more than 1 game twice. The other 7 seasons, he's 1-1 4 times, and in 3 of them, didn't win a single playoff game. He's just out of his league against playoff-caliber coaches. The stars all came together for him in 2010, but I think the chances of him winning 3 postseason games in a row again are slim enough that we're better off replacing him.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've wanted to get rid of both of them for years. I've never been a fan of McCarthy at all; he's at best a mediocre game-day coach. He makes the same stupid, stubborn mistakes game after game and year after year, and never seems to learn a damned thing from them.

Season after season, Aaron Rodgers runs up a good enough regular season record against other average coaches to get us into the playoffs, where we run up against better coaches who completely pants McCarthy. In 9 playoff seasons, he's only won more than 1 game twice. The other 7 seasons, he's 1-1 4 times, and in 3 of them, didn't win a single playoff game. He's just out of his league against playoff-caliber coaches. The stars all came together for him in 2010, but I think the chances of him winning 3 postseason games in a row again are slim enough that we're better off replacing him.
Yup.
He is wasting the best and prime years of his million dollar QB with the golden arm.
Rodgers should have at least one more ring by now.
And your right. Win against OK or worse teams then us.
Get into playoffs.
Don't pass when the run doesn't work. Just keep trying the run even though they get stopped.
Lose.
Repeat.

I'll probably get disagreement on that but if there is, then why hasn't McMoron taken us to another SB by now?
He refuses to change his formula that just isn't working anymore or will not adjust during games.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What are the all the stupid and stubborn mistakes he has made game after game this season?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy gets in his own way. His pride and stubbornness is why I can't stand the guy. He's going to let Capers get him thrown right out of town because he refuses to replace the guy...that's one reason why I'd be happy if they both were gone. Aaron Rodgers is the guy that carries this franchise, not MM. I believe #12 is good enough to make just about any guy wearing a headset on the sidelines look like a winner. Hell he could make he Browns contenders. I was one of the ones who wanted
Sean Payton over MM when Payton decided he wanted the New Orleans job. MM just isn't that good of a coach imo...nor does the guy understand how to adjust. I've never seen a guy be so predictable even when the defense knows what's coming smh. Time to bring in Gruden

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
No, McCarthey is not my favorite play caller in the NFL. But jeez after watching Dan Quinn last night, I would say we have it OK. But will someone please tell me realistically who we could bring in or promote to make us a better football team? Someone with realistic chances of either leaving their current organization or getting promoted internally. Josh McDaniels will not leave the Patriots. He has had multiple offers. Who is on the table? Ben Macadoo? Pretty sure we already saw him mess up a pretty great offense in NY. I understand everyones frusterations with MM, but what are the other options? Now DC we can actually put some realistic names on the table.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and based on the results so far with a HOF QB his entire tenure, you'd be complaining we should have gotten McCarthy

No man, I had completely forgotten who MM was before he came to HC at Green Bay. I knew who Sean Payton was when he was an OC. I liked his style of offense. So WRONG, I wouldn't have said I wanted MM.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the point was that you'd specifically ask for someone by name, rather you'd still be asking for someone else.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I know its not going to happen, but in the very very extremely small chance we got a new head, I'd like it to be Wade Phillips.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we finally accept that McCarthy isn't good? Case in point:

Indy had their GM and head coach constantly on the hot seat over the past few years for being unable to surround Luck with enough talent to win, and for being unable to get to the playoffs. They have been 8-9 without Luck with what is viewed as a poor HC and incompetent GM.

We are now 3-8-1 without Rodgers. We need a better GM to obtain a SB roster, but McCarthy cannot win without Rodgers. The playoff games ended because of the defense not showing up at the end of games, or at all. Hayward and Hyde immediately elevated their level of play once they found new teams. Time to start anew. I have no idea how anyone can argue at this point.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, McCarthey is not my favorite play caller in the NFL. But jeez after watching Dan Quinn last night, I would say we have it OK. But will someone please tell me realistically who we could bring in or promote to make us a better football team? Someone with realistic chances of either leaving their current organization or getting promoted internally. Josh McDaniels will not leave the Patriots. He has had multiple offers. Who is on the table? Ben Macadoo? Pretty sure we already saw him mess up a pretty great offense in NY. I understand everyones frusterations with MM, but what are the other options? Now DC we can actually put some realistic names on the table.

I agree with just about your post except that one. I believe McAdoo is saddled with old man Eli who needs to retire just like Bruce Arians is saddled with that stupid Carson Palmer guy because in both cases, the owners have sunk their fortunes into those washed up QBs as well as a very talented but low IQ receiver in Odell Beckham Jr.

Now, I think McAdoo probably is in a bit over his head as HC and will likely remain an OC for the rest of his time, but I wouldn't mind bringing him back here to serve under MM in some capacity if the Giants boot him out.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and based on the results so far with a HOF QB his entire tenure, you'd be complaining we should have gotten McCarthy

I'm telling you I've never seen a level of stupid as bad as I've seen it on this board.

Man .. pushing to get a HC who's been 7-9 over his last three years and has just as bad if not worse a defense as we do. He has exactly one SB win as well and if he was as good as people say, the Saints fans wouldn't be grumbling about him down there right now.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we finally accept that McCarthy isn't good? Case in point:

Indy had their GM and head coach constantly on the hot seat over the past few years for being unable to surround Luck with enough talent to win, and for being unable to get to the playoffs. They have been 8-9 without Luck with what is viewed as a poor HC and incompetent GM.

We are now 3-8-1 without Rodgers. We need a better GM to obtain a SB roster, but McCarthy cannot win without Rodgers. The playoff games ended because of the defense not showing up at the end of games, or at all. Hayward and Hyde immediately elevated their level of play once they found new teams. Time to start anew. I have no idea how anyone can argue at this point.
People keep bringing up the record without Rodgers like it means something. You can't make a judgement about the coach when the team is built around someone like Rodgers and then when Rodgers goes down say... "see the coach sucks". Now I will say that not having at least a decent backup on the team to account for that eventuality is short sighted and the coach does need to take some blame for that.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People keep bringing up the record without Rodgers like it means something. You can't make a judgement about the coach when the team is built around someone like Rodgers and then when Rodgers goes down say... "see the coach sucks". Now I will say that not having at least a decent backup on the team to account for that eventuality is short sighted and the coach does need to take some blame for that.

I'm not sure if it was Mike McCarthy lobbying to bring Brett Hundley here or if it was simply Ted's scouting team's obsession with the Pac-12 doing this. As I said, picking him didn't really make a whole lot of sense just like bringing Vince Young here 4 years ago didn't either. I know McCarthy is saying Hundley is our guy, but at this point he's the only backup that knows our playbook as well as that and likely any other QB out there who'd fit our system would still have to have a little time to get familiar with the playbook.

I suspect this offseason if the team elects to not re-sign Hundley, we'll be signing/drafting a QB from more of a pro-style offense. But idk, I'm thinking it's our scouting department and Teddy who hold more responsibility in this than MM even if MM does still have input on this.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to say this though. I think this time ... even if MM is the one responsible for keeping Capers as long as he has, I do believe this time he's going to axe him if this nonsense on defense keeps up, and here's why:

I know between the playoff loss in SF in 2012 and the bad season of 2013 he was predicted to get fired, but you had two things at play at the time which were it was the first season Rodgers missed as significant time as he did, and the Superbowl year was still very fresh at the time, plus we still ended up making the playoffs that year. Then 2014 and 2015 in which our D got marginally better, esp in 2015 when the offense was struggling, I think some good will with Mark Murphy had been bought back. But I think between his defensive disaster of 2016 and this year, his clock is running out. 2016 he was smitten with injuries. This year though our starters on D have still been healthy enough despite Burnett, Rollins and Thomas being out that I think he can be held accountable. If we do miraculously make the playoffs, his bacon might be saved again. But if not, I suspect MM is going to finally let the axe fall and make wholesale changes on that side of the ball. i really feel this is the year the Packer brass says enough is enough with Capers.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it was Mike McCarthy lobbying to bring Brett Hundley here or if it was simply Ted's scouting team's obsession with the Pac-12 doing this. As I said, picking him didn't really make a whole lot of sense just like bringing Vince Young here 4 years ago didn't either. I know McCarthy is saying Hundley is our guy, but at this point he's the only backup that knows our playbook as well as that and likely any other QB out there who'd fit our system would still have to have a little time to get familiar with the playbook.

I suspect this offseason if the team elects to not re-sign Hundley, we'll be signing/drafting a QB from more of a pro-style offense. But idk, I'm thinking it's our scouting department and Teddy who hold more responsibility in this than MM even if MM does still have input on this.
Can't argue with any of that. It seems when you are not over reacting you have some good points to make lol.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm telling you I've never seen a level of stupid as bad as I've seen it on this board.

Man .. pushing to get a HC who's been 7-9 over his last three years and has just as bad if not worse a defense as we do. He has exactly one SB win as well and if he was as good as people say, the Saints fans wouldn't be grumbling about him down there right now.
You talking to me about this or to the one I replied too?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only the truest of homers could excuse a coach for only winning 1/4 of their games for such a reason. What is the point of even having a backup QB if you are incapable of winning without your starter? The job of a coach is to win games, not have one player win games for him.

Was the offense in Indy not built around Luck? The one in Miami built around Tannehil? The one in NE built around Brady? Surely you don't think those first two teams have much more talent than we do. Why have these coaches been so much better without these guys? Homer talk defending a loser coach.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only the truest of homers could excuse a coach for only winning 1/4 of their games for such a reason. What is the point of even having a backup QB if you are incapable of winning without your starter? The job of a coach is to win games, not have one player win games for him.

Was the offense in Indy not built around Luck? The one in Miami built around Tannehil? The one in NE built around Brady? Surely you don't think those first two teams have much more talent than we do. Why have these coaches been so much better without these guys? Homer talk defending a loser coach.
People like you lose all credibility when you start throwing insults around. I could give you credible answers to your questions, but your hostile demeanor tells me you aren't worth it. placing you on ignore.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People like you lose all credibility when you start throwing insults around. I could give you credible answers to your questions, but your hostile demeanor tells me you aren't worth it. placing you on ignore.
I called you a Homer. It is not an insult. In fact, my life would be easier if I were so forgiving. But half the team can go down, and we expect Rodgers to win (which he has). Yet he goes down, and fans accept us losing almost every game. I just don't accept that.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
half the team can go down, and we expect Rodgers to win (which he has). Yet he goes down, and fans accept us losing almost every game.
Good point.
Makes you wonder where Ted's genius is, if the team he put together can't win a game without having the greatest ever Hall of Fame quarterback to throw the ball.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OK Mr genius, please do tell us how many games Bellicheck would've won if he'd have had to roll with Garropolo and Brissett all season long last year.

Better yet please tell me how many games the new fan favorite here Sean Payton would win if Brees went down. How many games would Jim Caldwell win without Stafford, Pete Carroll without Russell Wilson, Del Rio without Derek Carr or Dan Quinn without Matt Ryan.

This silly reasoning on MM's record without Rodgers has no grounds.

Only coach I could think of at the moment who might win (longshot) with his backup is Andy Reid in KC due to having Kelce, Hunt and Hill.

Members online

Latest posts