Mike McCarthy -- new Cowpoke coach

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 HOT quarterbacks + 13 NFL seasons = 1 Super Bowl

I mean I wish him well, but I just don't see it. I hope he can prove me wrong but we will have to see.

I think now having Dak Prescott, who is good but not at all regarded as a future HOFer today will prove how good he is. Or is it the other way around?

Favre was already a HOFer without McCarthy
Would you all still consider Rodgers a HOFer without McCarthy??? I would

With 2 HOF QBs and the talent during MM's tenure we should have appeared in more than 1 Super Bowl. That is my issue with him. Maybe he'll be successful in Dallas. I just wish he didn't go to a team I cannot stand.

Johneric8

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay guys, I get it, he is your x coach and I don't expect accolades in regards to him but you guys need to put yourself in our shoes for a second. Garrett didn't even gameplan at all he ran old 90's offense of beat the man in front of you.. garrett was 100% predictable and gave us no advantages ever. He was horrible in big games, and just overall embarrassing. We can argue whether or not mike was a winning coach because of Arod until were blue in the face but truth is we won't know until a couple of years from now. From our perspective, he is a step up from Garrett and he might be able to really help prescott since he has been around and coached up some great qb's..

In regards to mike nolan, yeah we like him, we had a guy in marinelli trying to run tampa 2 with a very outdated soft scheme... Time will tell, but as a cowboy fan, we checked out on Garrett years ago so following our team with zero hope has been incredibly frustrating. Also think about this, Garrett was like family to Jerry and why he got 10 years even though he sucked. We're just happy now that Jerry has an outsider coach that is more blue collar as opposed to Princeton spood fed Garrett who hasn't earned a thing in this league. If McCarty sucks, jerry will move on after a couple of years, so at least we arent handcuffed to his adopted son anymore.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, there are some of us that really respect MM as a coach, I think Nolan as DC is a solid pairing. The NFC just got another contender IMO. They’ve had the players, now I think they have a guy to lead them.

I’m not a fan of it :). I wish they had kept Garrett

Star Power

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cow fan here ... 50+ years. my take on the hire with a take on our recent past.

I'm pretty happy to get rid of Garrett who, like the other Cowboy fan posting this thread, despised the Garrett "system". It was plain jane, with few in game adjustments. Very predictable for an opponent using analytics. When's the last time we ever saw Garrett use his headset that he wore religiously . . . the answer is "never" ! The DC (Marrineli) ran a weak and vulnerable Tampa II. Our one bright spot (Kellen Moore) will be retained as OC. Dallas was #1 in yardage, #6 in scoring, and #5 in the NFL historically in yardage for 2019. This using Garrett's weak O.

Now on McCarthy. At first I was disappointed looking at it on the shallow. Looking at a rookie NFL HC took MM's 5-10-1 team and turned it into a 13-3 team. I did some homework.

Some points:

- MM spent the last year with other close football friends just studying the NFL ( in a barn???? )and developing his own analytics opinions.

- Read a bit in The Athletic written by Mike Lombardi concerning MM being somewhat handcuffed by TT. Aparently Thompson hated free agents (unless bargain basement or just plain bargains). Then TT's drafting was less than stellar the last few years along with GB's finishing in the playoffs consistently their draft position was higher. This resulted in not getting shots at the top talents.

- MM apparently has had a pretty long history being around good QB's. Supposedly, from what I've read, can be good at QB development ---- lots of this stuff on the Web.

- on his problems with AR , I look at it this way, AR can't get along with his own parents and hasn't spoken to them in years. That's speaks to me of mental illness on one side or the other as family is everything. May not be AR's fault but dayum!

- On getting along with Jerrah. Yes Jerrah can be an issue especially when he's been visiting with his friend Johnny Walker Blue. Jerrah can potentially undermine the coach's authority. He ran Parcells off with the Terrell Owens purchase. Even then Parcells loves and respects JJ and has said so multiple times while also saying Dallas was his favorite coaching job ever.

- Favre had this to say about MM / JJ relationship: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-mccarthy-can-handle-jerry-jones-as-his-boss/

“I don’t know Jerry other than what I see and what I hear,” Favre said on SiriusXM NFL Radio, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “Obviously, he’s the owner, and everything starts and stops with him. Mike’s a smart guy. He knows that, and he knows that maybe at times Jerry will interfere or say things that you don’t necessarily agree with or don’t like. But it is what it is. I’ll say this: Mike is one of those guys from Pittsburgh. He’s hard-nosed. He’s tough. He is an aggressive personality. If there’s anyone out there presently that can handle that, it’s Mike. I believe that wholeheartedly.

- I'm cautiously optimistic about the Cowboy's new coach. He has to be better than the whole weak-azzed Garrett system. I especially like the Mike Nolan, DC hire ... very strong resume'.

- One last thing Jones has been pulling back for the last 8-9 years which coincides with Dallas' upward talent acquisition. If he was really exerting his power the Cowboys would have ended up with Johnny F. Football Manziel. The Jones family is heavily involved still but they are relying on NFL football people. Did y'all know Jerry Jones was a collegiate All American football player on a National Champion Team?

-

Last edited:

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm pretty happy to get rid of Garrett who, like the other Cowboy fan posting this thread, despised the Garrett "system". It was plain jane, with few in game adjustments. Very predictable for an opponent using analytics. When's the last time we ever saw Garrett use his headset that he wore religiously . . . the answer is "never" ! The DC (Marrineli) ran a weak and vulnerable Tampa II. Our one bright spot (Kellen Moore) will be retained as OC. Dallas was #1 in yardage, #6 in scoring, and #5 in the NFL historically in yardage for 2019. This using Garrett's weak O.

Now on McCarthy. At first I was disappointed looking at it on the shallow. Looking at a rookie NFL HC took MM's 5-10-1 team and turned it into a 13-3 team. I did some homework.

Some points:

- MM spent the last year with other close football friends just studying the NFL ( in a barn???? )and developing his own analytics opinions.

- Read a bit in The Athletic written by Mike Lombardi concerning MM being somewhat handcuffed by TT. Aparently Thompson hated free agents (unless bargain basement or just plain bargains). Then TT's drafting was less than stellar the last few years along with GB's finishing in the playoffs consistently their draft position was higher. This resulted in not getting shots at the top talents.

- MM apparently has had a pretty long history being around good QB's. Supposedly, from what I've read, can be good at QB development ---- lots of this stuff on the Web.

- on his problems with AR , I look at it this way, AR can't get along with his own parents and hasn't spoken to them in years. That's speaks to me of mental illness on one side of the other as family is everything. May not be AR's fault but dayum!

- On getting along with Jerrah. Yes Jerrah can be an issue especially when he's been visiting with his friend Johnny Walker Blue. Jerrah can potentially undermine the coach's authority. He ran Parcells off with the Terrell Owens purchase. Even then Parcells loves and respects JJ and has said so multiple times while also saying Dallas was his favorite coaching job ever.

- Favre had this to say about MM / JJ relationship: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-mccarthy-can-handle-jerry-jones-as-his-boss/

“I don’t know Jerry other than what I see and what I hear,” Favre said on SiriusXM NFL Radio, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “Obviously, he’s the owner, and everything starts and stops with him. Mike’s a smart guy. He knows that, and he knows that maybe at times Jerry will interfere or say things that you don’t necessarily agree with or don’t like. But it is what it is. I’ll say this: Mike is one of those guys from Pittsburgh. He’s hard-nosed. He’s tough. He is an aggressive personality. If there’s anyone out there presently that can handle that, it’s Mike. I believe that wholeheartedly.

- I'm cautiously optimistic about the Cowboy's new coach. He has to be better than the whole weak-azzed Garrett system. I especially like the Mike Nolan, DC hire ... very strong resume'.

- One last thing Jones has been pulling back for the last 8-9 years which coincides with Dallas' upward talent acquisition. If he was really exerting his power the Cowboys would have ended up with Johnny F. Football Manziel. The Jones family is heavily involved still but they are relying on NFL football people. Did y'all know Jerry Jones was a collegiate All American football player on a National Champion Team?

COWBOYS !

-

Ok

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll be more organized and disciplined.

They'll likely be less creative on offense, and more predictable.

Just a guess.
Very good guess that will probably come true. What I will like is Jerry second guessing MM on some decisions he makes particularly in the last 2 minutes of the game or 1st half. We slammed MM a lot for either calling timeouts to let the other team have time to score instead of trying to run the clock out or deciding to run the ball against fragile pass defenses when a 1st down could ice the game.

Sky King

Reaction score

Some points:

- on his problems with AR , I look at it this way, AR can't get along with his own parents and hasn't spoken to them in years. That's speaks to me of mental illness on one side of the other as family is everything. May not be AR's fault but dayum!

-
McCarthy is a very good coach. If I were the Cowboys my biggest concern would be whether he may burn-out too soon with the mileage he has accrued already. You may very well end up owning the East for years at a time, just as McCarthy's Packers owned the North for many years.

Last edited:

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodness yes.

America's cheerleaders.

I actually think it's a toss up for the best looking cheerleaders between Dallas/Arizona/Miami/Buffalo

But women, in general/average, are going to be the best looking in Dallas, Scottsdale(Arizona), New York, and Florida/Cali anyways... so

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To suggest mental illness because 2 family members don't talk is a horrible take. Sometimes things happen that just are inexcusable or you don't want the toxic relationship in your life.

Last edited:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Philbin's career is declining. HC with the Dolphins, OC in second stint with GB, now offensive line coach with Dallas.

Also just read about Jerry's reaction at the end of the interview. McCarthy seems to be a guy who does really well during interviews, but then somewhere down the line the company who hired him realizes he's not that good.

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

My guess would be that you are correct....but i’m not sure anyone should try and make sense out it.

Not trying to make sense mate, I find it disgusting that some people can be so offensive towards our former coach. He grew stale but he deserves respect for his time here and I for one wish him all the best in the future.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Will be ironic if the boys get to SB..we will hear it was a ready made team..so much talent..wasn't his coaching

D

Deleted member 6794

His coaching record will naturally be "fluffed up" due to having BOTH Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as his quarterbacks.

You have to realize that McCarthy was responsible for rejuvenating Favre's career as well as developing Rodgers into a future HOFer.

We have one of the top 5 offensive lines in the game and had Aaron Jones and Jamal Williams with MM.

The Packers offensive line struggled blocking for the run for most of MM's tenure.

Alot of people believe MM inherited a strong team in greenbay.

The Packers went 4-12 the season before they hired McCarthy.

I'm not under the impression that Mike is like getting Peyton or Bellichek.

Belichick is in a class of his own but you might want to consider that the Saints missed the playoffs six times since Payton was hired with Brees playing in every meaningful game. McCarthy only missed the postseason four times while having to deal with injuries to Rodgers on several occasions.

Hard to know what our record would be under Mike this year. My opinion is that it would have been a disastrous season though, with numerous sideline spats between Rodgers and McCarthy the way things were trending. Those two were done.

It was definitely time for the Packers to move on from McCarthy but that doesn't mean he's not a great coach.

I'm talking about the games when Jones would get around 6 - 12 carries a game, while averaging MORE THAN 5 yards a carry and just stop feeding him the ball and throw it with AR every down.

Do you know that Jones received more than 13 carries only five times this season???

Also just read about Jerry's reaction at the end of the interview. McCarthy seems to be a guy who does really well during interviews, but then somewhere down the line the company who hired him realizes he's not that good.

The Packers kept McCarthy as their head coach nearly 13 seasons, that's an eternity in today's NFL. He must have been a pretty good coach for that to happen.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not trying to make sense mate, I find it disgusting that some people can be so offensive towards our former coach. He grew stale but he deserves respect for his time here and I for one wish him all the best in the future.

I definitely agree that McCarthy deserves respect and that he did a great job for most of his tenure with the Packers. I have a hard time wishing him all the best with the Cowboys though.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I definitely agree that McCarthy deserves respect and that he did a great job for most of his tenure with the Packers. I have a hard time wishing him all the best with the Cowboys though.

Well Capt, you`re entitled to your opinion. I`d love a future championship game against him.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No argument from me. I Think McCarthy was underestimated for most of his tenure with the Packers.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to realize that McCarthy was responsible for rejuvenating Favre's career as well as developing Rodgers into a future HOFer.

The Packers offensive line struggled blocking for the run for most of MM's tenure.

The Packers went 4-12 the season before they hired McCarthy.

Belichick is in a class of his own but you might want to consider that the Saints missed the playoffs six times since Payton was hired with Brees playing in every meaningful game. McCarthy only missed the postseason four times while having to deal with injuries to Rodgers on several occasions.

It was definitely time for the Packers to move on from McCarthy but that doesn't mean he's not a great coach.

Do you know that Jones received more than 13 carries only five times this season???

The Packers kept McCarthy as their head coach nearly 13 seasons, that's an eternity in today's NFL. He must have been a pretty good coach for that to happen.

He was a good coach.

Till the last couple of seasons.

It all depends on which version of MM they get.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts