Mike McCarthy -- new Cowpoke coach

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to realize that McCarthy was responsible for rejuvenating Favre's career as well as developing Rodgers into a future HOFer.

This is something we will find out. It's a bit of Chicken and Egg argument with Aaron Rodgers.

I don't think MM "rejuvenated" Brett Favre's career. If any coach "rejuvenated" his career it was Mike Sherman until he fell off at the end.

MM helped Favre to cut back/down on interceptions and that's about mostly it lol.

TT drafted Jennings who Favre once called one of the best WRs he ever had. I don't think MM really helped with anything much with him besides cutting back on interceptions.

Then a few years later he had 4200/33/7 and a 107.2 rating in his FIRST YEAR in a new system under Brad Childress, basically a nobody in terms of the grand scheme of NFL lore.

I don't think MM did anything to help Brett Favre really, he was just a transcendental talent and was just overwhelmingly gifted and REALLY, REALLY, REALLY good. MM was handed the keys to a Z06 and an M6 and told to race other opponents/teams who were driving Ford Fusions.

My hunch is that Aaron Rodgers is the same...

If MM can turn Dak Prescott around, then we can discuss this again.

Star Power

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="PackinMSP, post: 859400, member: 13351"

If MM can turn Dak Prescott around, then we can discuss this again.[/QUOTE]

Can you embellish on this statement.

I feel Prescott is making strides each year in being a better, more complete QB. He's light years ahead of where he was just 2 years ago. In college he was a RPO guy and is really learning the position from almost the ground up. Had never even taken a snap from under center 4 years ago. Stats are good to very good.

What do you turn around?

Just wondering what you see.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats...&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/seasontype/2/players/7

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...xperience=&tabSeq=0&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the hamburglar WILL and I repeat WILL do that behavior next yr...book it....call it what you want...one trick pony now with another hapless secondary and run d...

I'll come out and take a stab at his tenure in dallas...under 5 years.

D

Deleted member 6794

He was a good coach.

Till the last couple of seasons.

It all depends on which version of MM they get.

I fully expect McCarthy to be successful in Dallas. While things got stale with the Packers he was still a good coach but wasn't able to reach the locker room anymore.

That happens to the best in the business after 13 seasons though.

This is something we will find out. It's a bit of Chicken and Egg argument with Aaron Rodgers.

I don't think MM "rejuvenated" Brett Favre's career. If any coach "rejuvenated" his career it was Mike Sherman until he fell off at the end.

MM helped Favre to cut back/down on interceptions and that's about mostly it lol.

I don't think MM really helped with anything much with him besides cutting back on interceptions.

You might want to take a look at Rodgers throwing motion during his college career, no way he would have been successful in the NFL with it.

Don't you think that reducing Favre's interceptions was kind of a big deal??? In addition, in 2007 he had his best passer rating since the team went on to win the Super Bowl in 1996.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I never cared for him. IMO both he and TT both would have been canned long ago if the Philly kicker had made a routine FG back in 2010. The ensuing Super Bowl was sweet but we’ve paid for it in underachievement ever since. How he survived the utter debacle against the Seahawks in the NFC Championship game has always been UN fathomable to me. I like our team much better with MM in Dallas and TT wherever he is!!

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly I never cared for him. IMO both he and TT both would have been canned long ago if the Philly kicker had made a routine FG back in 2010.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about as the Packers beat the Eagles twice that season by seven and five points respectively. A field goal wouldn't have made a difference in any of those games.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Changing Aaron's release point was obviously pivotal for him but I don't believe contributed to him being a HOFer more than him learning to throw from different arm angles, which he learned from Brett . I think his overall play and ability have lead more to him being a HOFer

Based off your take, should Brad Childress be considered a good coach then? Brett had a pedestrian year with the Jets before having his best statistical season the next year with the Vikings

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Changing Aaron's release point was obviously pivotal for him but I don't believe contributed to him being a HOFer more than him learning to throw from different arm angles, which he leads from Brett . I think his overall play and ability have lead more to him being a HOFer

Based off your take, should Brad Childress be considered a good coach then? Brett had a pedestrian year with the Jets before having his best statistical season the next year with the Vikings

Rodgers is definitely the one mainly responsible for being a HOFer but McCarthy deserves credit for his development as well.

I don't consider Childress a good coach. Favre trying to stick it to the Packers was most likely the main reason for his great season with the Vikings in 2009.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't consider Childress a good coach. Favre trying to stick it to the Packers was most likely the main reason for his great season with the Vikings in 2009.

LMAO

That or Brett Favre was still really, really , really good and had a good supporting cast in Minnesota, like he had in his last season in Green Bay?

I think the Jets debacle was due to his arm injury and he was throwing to like Lavernius Coles and a rookie Dustin Keller with Thomas Davis as his runningback...

D

Deleted member 6794

That or Brett Favre was still really, really , really good and had a good supporting cast in Minnesota, like he had in his last season in Green Bay?

Of course Favre was still very good during his first season in Minnesota but he took care of the football better than ever before allowing him to throw only seven interceptions that season as well.

Sky King

Reaction score
A good coach goes to a team with talent. On the surface, it could be an effective pairing. Plus, he's had a year to devote to a forensic study of his NFL coaching career and what factors led to his recent demise. Not all of them were under his control. Most importantly, he needs to adjust his own approach to a dynamic game that rarely stands pat. Just look at this year's playoffs.

But it will all boil down to how long his batteries will hold their charge after the past year of introspection and rest and how he continues to evolve. A burnout redux may be his Achilles heel. Maybe he can defy the odds that seem stacked against coaching longevity and he can dominate the East for a while. But for how long? Good for him if he can pull it off but I wouldn't bet the ranch on that if I were a Dallas fan, at least not for the long term. Eventually, all batteries fail to hold their charge, especially older ones.

Five years is about where I would put the over/under:

I'll come out and take a stab at his tenure in dallas...under 5 years.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="PackinMSP, post: 859400, member: 13351"

If MM can turn Dak Prescott around, then we can discuss this again.

Can you embellish on this statement.

I feel Prescott is making strides each year in being a better, more complete QB. He's light years ahead of where he was just 2 years ago. In college he was a RPO guy and is really learning the position from almost the ground up. Had never even taken a snap from under center 4 years ago. Stats are good to very good.

What do you turn around?

Just wondering what you see.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats...&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/seasontype/2/players/7

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...xperience=&tabSeq=0&qualified=false&Submit=Go[/QUOTE]

There's not much to turn around with Dak...

Maybe cut down on interceptions, but he doesn't throw a whole lot to begin with.

I think if Prescott suddently has a 4200+/35td+/6int(or less) type of season...people might say that MM has "it"

But it's not like he's not already really good to begin with, as I've mentioned before.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course Favre was still very good during his first season in Minnesota but he took care of the football better than ever before allowing him to throw only seven interceptions that season as well.

right.

I said before, that MM may have helped Brett to cut down on his interceptions ...but that's about it. I wouldn't say MM "turned/rejuvenated" Brett Favre's career by any stretch lol.

Actually, Brett had several really good years under Sherman so who's to say who rejuvenated his career? Or maybe Brett Favre was just really, really good???

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Dak is that "good" he has nice stats because he is behind one of the best Olines in the league and a top 3 running back in the league. Any NFL QB can look "good" with that behind and in front of him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I said before, that MM may have helped Brett to cut down on his interceptions ...but that's about it. I wouldn't say MM "turned/rejuvenated" Brett Favre's career by any stretch lol.

Favre, who is the all time leader in interceptions, cutting down on his interceptions was a huge deal though.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was talking to my girlfriend earlier today - she is a big Cowboy fan - and she is not happy about MM being their new coach. She would have preferred Jerrah hired a young gun like we did instead of a retread.

Star Power

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was talking to my girlfriend earlier today - she is a big Cowboy fan - and she is not happy about MM being their new coach. She would have preferred Jerrah hired a young gun like we did instead of a retread.

I was not thrilled at first but after doing some investigation I think, with our team, it can be the right choice. Of course none of us knows until the season is underway. There is a learning curve with most HC's without HC experience. Sometime though it's a hit. Y'all's guy did it, Mike Shanahan, and Pederson in Philthy were good their 1st year. Vrabel took time. Chemistry and game planning is the key along with talent.

I'm hoping MM will be an Andy Reid clone with a better D.

Sky King

Reaction score
I was not thrilled at first but after doing some investigation I think, with our team, it can be the right choice. Of course none of us knows until the season is underway. There is a learning curve with most HC's without HC experience. Sometime though it's a hit. Y'all's guy did it, Mike Shanahan, and Pederson in Philthy were good their 1st year. Vrabel took time. Chemistry and game planning is the key along with talent.

I'm hoping MM will be an Andy Reid clone with a better D.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. -- Andy Dufresne

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I never cared for him. IMO both he and TT both would have been canned long ago if the Philly kicker had made a routine FG back in 2010. The ensuing Super Bowl was sweet but we’ve paid for it in underachievement ever since. How he survived the utter debacle against the Seahawks in the NFC Championship game has always been UN fathomable to me. I like our team much better with MM in Dallas and TT wherever he is!!

Well, this is ridiculous on most counts because of a few things

1. There was no game in 2010 in which our season got saved by a missed FG

2. No team in NFL history has ever fired a HC who had a 12-4 record and made it to the conference championship game. None at all

3. Looking pretty good for Mike in Dallas indeed, so long as Jerry Jones gets out of his way

Now all that to say, I won't re-litigate McCarthy's past. He was flawed and I believe he did make the mistake of relying a little too much on Rodgers's superb skills and wearing a little thin on his message in his latter days. Thompson also swung and miss on several draft picks in his later years that got us in trouble and didn't get us a deep enough receiving corps when Jordy went down. But most of our successful years up until the most recent bad ones were a huge part of McCarthy's doing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, this is ridiculous on most counts because of a few things

1. There was no game in 2010 in which our season got saved by a missed FG

2. No team in NFL history has ever fired a HC who had a 12-4 record and made it to the conference championship game. None at all

3. Looking pretty good for Mike in Dallas indeed, so long as Jerry Jones gets out of his way

Now all that to say, I won't re-litigate McCarthy's past. He was flawed and I believe he did make the mistake of relying a little too much on Rodgers's superb skills and wearing a little thin on his message in his latter days. Thompson also swung and miss on several draft picks in his later years that got us in trouble and didn't get us a deep enough receiving corps when Jordy went down. But most of our successful years up until the most recent bad ones were a huge part of McCarthy's doing.
You will Be surprised on how much say MM will have in the draft and free agency

Star Power

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I appreciate reading the responses here. I do consider Pack fans to generally be knowledgeable and not too far "out there". Being in the NFCE we deal with Philly phans. I even consider some Cowboy fans to be arrogant (our team is certainly lacking in results for the last 25 years which tempers me quite a bit) and I've been a fan of theirs (Cowboys) since the 1960's .

Here's a couple of articles concerning McCarthy's power in Dallas and many of his coaching choices. I don't like some of the choices and liked some of the position coaches that were let go but understand the need for going essentially all new on the staff. I liked QB coach Jon Kitna and OL coach Mark Colombo.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-coach-would-have-mccarthy-has-more-than-ever

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ng-staff-mike-mccarthy-mike-nolan-john-fassel

Thanks for allowing me to participate in your forum. I have little else to add. Looks like we won't see each other this year unless it's post season. Good luck in SF, they are a sledgehammer team. If you go to the game watch out for drug needles and feces on the sidewalks .

Latest posts