Mike McCarthy -- new Cowpoke coach

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also spent time with marvin Lewis
McCarthy stayed an extra day though. Honestly, I'd like to see him go to Cleveland, even though I'm not sure I should be wishing that on him. I think he could do some good there. They need a more disciplined approach, and I'd like to see what he could do with Baker Mayfield. John Dorsey leaving might clear the way for him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
McCarthy stayed an extra day though. Honestly, I'd like to see him go to Cleveland, even though I'm not sure I should be wishing that on him. I think he could do some good there. They need a more disciplined approach, and I'd like to see what he could do with Baker Mayfield. John Dorsey leaving might clear the way for him.

Marvin was there Friday and Saturday..Mike only Saturday

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/cowboys-interviewing-mike-mccarthy-marvin-lewis

McCarthy, who won a Super Bowl and went to three other NFC championship games with Green Bay, was to interview Saturday, two people with direct knowledge of the situation said. Lewis spent time with the Cowboys on Friday and Saturday, one of the people said.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marvin was there Friday and Saturday..Mike only Saturday
I didn't know that about Lewis, but I heard on ESPN that McCarthy stayed in Dallas an extra day. That's confirmed here, where it says his visit stretched into Sunday:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28421099/source-cowboys-meeting-mike-mccarthy-marvin-lewis

In any case, it looks like McCarthy was the last person they saw before announcing that Garrett's contract wouldn't be renewed. Which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but you never know.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Cowboys are focused on hiring Mike McCarthy. According to Ian Rapoport, it appears the Cowboys have their guy. McCarthy has informed the other teams he talked with that he's out, and is in for Dallas.

All but a formality for the former Packers head coach.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather he went to the AFC. Contrary to what many on here believe, he's a good coach and has a good nucleus to work with in Dallas. This team with a good coach will be a tough out in the NFC.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I am happy that Mike will be getting a job. Wherever he ends up, he will likely improve that team. Cowboys organization is something that I do not think Mike himself will enjoy. The politics associated with that organization will drive him insane. I hope he ends up taking the Carolina job. I actually think that is the best fit for him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy for him...but I feel bad for him...good luck having the worst Owner with hands deep in everything you try to do Mike.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would have prefered he found something in the AFC. He will get them moving in the right direction quickly. He was always a very classy guy. I wish him the best. And Capers. I hope he hires Dom and we dont have to worry about them when we play them.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Did not see that coming. Thought he might go to Carolina. I wish him the best. Good working JJ.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dallas immediately got better, unfortunately. I'm more afraid of the Cowboys now than under Garrett, as at least they now have a chance at being respectable. Good for you, MM, landing back in the NFL.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you assume he would have had his pick of the litter, I'm a little surprised he chose Dallas. Sounded like the Dallas assistants were going to stay and having to work under Jerry, doesn't seem ideal.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much for wishing Mike good luck in his next job. Hope he goes 6-10. Although in the East that just might get them the division.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you assume he would have had his pick of the litter, I'm a little surprised he chose Dallas. Sounded like the Dallas assistants were going to stay and having to work under Jerry, doesn't seem ideal.
McCarthy's last contract was $5Mil/year. Garrett's last contract in Dallas was $6Mil/year. Considering MM is trying to get back into the NFL AND he probably is getting at least $6Mil/year I'm sure he'll "suffer" under Jerry Jones for a few years. If he can get Dallas a bit back ontrack despite Jones' interference he'll have an even better job in 3 or 4 years while still under 60 years old.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not sure he had his "pick of the litter"....Getting an interview(or two) does not equate to getting a job offer.

Perhaps Dallas was the first one to make an offer, and he grabbed it.

He's a nice guy, and I wish him all the best. How it's going to work out, I'm not sure.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I'm happy for him...but I feel bad for him...good luck having the worst Owner with hands deep in everything you try to do Mike.
Boy talk about the difference in owners. From the Packers to Dallas where the owner thinks he's the best GM in football.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy talk about the difference in owners. From the Packers to Dallas where the owner thinks he's the best GM in football.
I'm only guessing, but I would think TT had a pretty high opinion of himself and his "system". Not too much of a difference when you're a HC coaching the players that the GM gives you. I'm sure MM had some say, but not a whole lot.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm only guessing, but I would think TT had a pretty high opinion of himself and his "system". Not too much of a difference when you're a HC coaching the players that the GM gives you. I'm sure MM had some say, but not a whole lot.

There are definitely pluses in Dallas.....There's no denying the talent, a beautiful stadium, and a loyal following.

Then there's Jerruh.

Best of luck, Mike!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like watching Jerry lose, but I think he's been giving more control over to the people he's put in place to do those jobs than just doing whatever he wants. he's still Jerry, but I don't think he's the Jerry of 20 years ago.

It will be interesting, I think they're instantly better.

Members online

Latest posts