Mike McCarthy -- new Cowpoke coach

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a couple of articles concerning McCarthy's power in Dallas and many of his coaching choices. I don't like some of the choices and liked some of the position coaches that were let go but understand the need for going essentially all new on the staff. I liked QB coach Jon Kitna and OL coach Mark Colombo.
McCarthy was indeed a good coach. I don't know what PackinMSP is talking about. Favre went rogue after Holmgren left, become lazy in his approach and fundamentals. In the early 2000s the Packers relied on Ahman Green and an aging OL that Sherman neglected in the draft, and teams routinely would load the box and dare Favre to beat them. He was a shell of his former 1990s self. McCarthy made Favre accountable, and Favre became a student of the game again. Never did he prep for games and study tape as much as he did under McCarthy. That was the start of Mike's "quarterback school" that was bantered around so much. Favre talked about it in his retirement speech, that the grind of game prep sapped the fun away from the game for him. It made him better again, but he hated it. Those work habits were impressioned on a young Rodgers who puts a lot into game prep and fundamentals.

McCarthy's strength was also his weakness. He put good assistant coaches around him and won a Super Bowl in addition to many division titles. As those coaches inevitably left for opportunities elsewhere, McCarthy replaced them with coaches of lesser ability. I'm not sure if that's because he didn't have the same connections throughout the league, someone in the front office wasn't there to make the great recommendations, etc....

McCarthy was a good coach when he had all of the right tools. Not everyone can win a SB even with all of the tools at their disposal. Heck, even Lombardi leveraged all of the great players brought in back Blackbourn and Vanisi. He didn't turn coal into diamonds. He sorted through a big pile and correctly sorted out the gems.

McCarthy has top quality players in Dallas. He will do well if he puts the right assistant coaches around him AND if he successfully negotiated power away from Jerry Jones (Lombardi had to do this with the Packers' board as well).

I wish McCarthy luck except against the Packers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was the start of Mike's "quarterback school" that was bantered around so much.
The bad thing is, from what I understand, the current CBA prohibited Mike from conducting his "quarterback school", or at least greatly limited it. I don't think Dak is as undisciplined or reckless as Favre was though.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really surprised McCarthy didn't hire Joe Whitt as his DC. He was so close to picking Whitt over Pettine a couple years ago.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather he went to the AFC. Contrary to what many on here believe, he's a good coach and has a good nucleus to work with in Dallas. This team with a good coach will be a tough out in the NFC.
You nailed it. MM inherits a lot of talent in Dallas, and that may be why he chose him. Personally, I’d have preferred he signed with Cleveland, a much harder gig.

But MM isn’t stupid. His fastest way to success is in Dallas. Yeah, Jerry Jones can be a pain, but he’s pretty loyal to his guys. Anyway, good move for MM. He can’t sideline the running game (as he did in GB) with a guy like Elliott on the team, and Prescott is a very good QB.

Which just makes it more mysterious why they didn’t at least make the playoffs this year. That I’ll put on Garrett, who seemed to be nothing more than a bystander at Cowboy games.

A little off subject, but now what happens in Cleveland? Firing Kitchens was wise. Dorsey? He’ll find another GM gig in a heartbeat. His firing may have affected MM’s decision too. Who knows.

Oh and yeah, I wish he had gone to the AFC. MM, at this stage in his career, is not interested in anything that looks like a rebuild.

Sky King

Reaction score

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like watching Jerry lose, but I think he's been giving more control over to the people he's put in place to do those jobs than just doing whatever he wants. he's still Jerry, but I don't think he's the Jerry of 20 years ago.

It will be interesting, I think they're instantly better.
Jerry isn’t the same PITA as he was 20 years ago. He SEEMS more inclined to let his coaches coach and players play. I predict that if MM doesn’t AT LEAST get them to an NFCCG, his time will be limited to two years.
Back here? Hell no!
Phew! Thanks XPack. They belong elsewhere, or out of football.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not advocating for him back here, but Philbin's effect on the Packers offense is undeniable. The team was extremely prepared and had excellent game plans. He was at his peak in the 2011 (as was Rodgers) until his son's death. Obviously he hasn't been able to re-create the same magic from that run, but I bet he could be an effective coach again with McCarthy.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You nailed it. MM inherits a lot of talent in Dallas, and that may be why he chose him. Personally, I’d have preferred he signed with Cleveland, a much harder gig.

But MM isn’t stupid. His fastest way to success is in Dallas. Yeah, Jerry Jones can be a pain, but he’s pretty loyal to his guys. Anyway, good move for MM. He can’t sideline the running game (as he did in GB) with a guy like Elliott on the team, and Prescott is a very good QB.

... MM, at this stage in his career, is not interested in anything that looks like a rebuild.
The Dallas Cowboys are tied for the fifth-best odds to win Super Bowl LV following the 2020 season
Kansas City Chiefs 7/1
Baltimore Ravens 8/1
San Francisco 49ers 8/1
New England Patriots 12/1
New Orleans Saints 14/1
Dallas Cowboys 16/1
Pittsburgh Steelers 16/1
Green Bay Packers 20/1

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not advocating for him back here, but Philbin's effect on the Packers offense is undeniable. The team was extremely prepared and had excellent game plans. He was at his peak in the 2011 (as was Rodgers) until his son's death. Obviously he hasn't been able to re-create the same magic from that run, but I bet he could be an effective coach again with McCarthy.
This is interesting. I guess I never paid much attention to Philbin.

What was he doing last year in the 2019/2020 season?

Do you think he might catch on with MM in Dallas? I doubt it but I’ve been wrong before.

Anyway, thanks for the insight.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jason Garrett is new OC for Giants...wtf!

This is bizarre. He could easily get another HC.

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cow fan here ... 50+ years. my take on the hire with a take on our recent past.

I'm pretty happy to get rid of Garrett who, like the other Cowboy fan posting this thread, despised the Garrett "system". It was plain jane, with few in game adjustments. Very predictable for an opponent using analytics. When's the last time we ever saw Garrett use his headset that he wore religiously . . . the answer is "never" ! The DC (Marrineli) ran a weak and vulnerable Tampa II. Our one bright spot (Kellen Moore) will be retained as OC. Dallas was #1 in yardage, #6 in scoring, and #5 in the NFL historically in yardage for 2019. This using Garrett's weak O.

Now on McCarthy. At first I was disappointed looking at it on the shallow. Looking at a rookie NFL HC took MM's 5-10-1 team and turned it into a 13-3 team. I did some homework.

Some points:

- MM spent the last year with other close football friends just studying the NFL ( in a barn???? )and developing his own analytics opinions.

- Read a bit in The Athletic written by Mike Lombardi concerning MM being somewhat handcuffed by TT. Aparently Thompson hated free agents (unless bargain basement or just plain bargains). Then TT's drafting was less than stellar the last few years along with GB's finishing in the playoffs consistently their draft position was higher. This resulted in not getting shots at the top talents.

- MM apparently has had a pretty long history being around good QB's. Supposedly, from what I've read, can be good at QB development ---- lots of this stuff on the Web.

- on his problems with AR , I look at it this way, AR can't get along with his own parents and hasn't spoken to them in years. That's speaks to me of mental illness on one side or the other as family is everything. May not be AR's fault but dayum!

- On getting along with Jerrah. Yes Jerrah can be an issue especially when he's been visiting with his friend Johnny Walker Blue. Jerrah can potentially undermine the coach's authority. He ran Parcells off with the Terrell Owens purchase. Even then Parcells loves and respects JJ and has said so multiple times while also saying Dallas was his favorite coaching job ever.

- Favre had this to say about MM / JJ relationship: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-mccarthy-can-handle-jerry-jones-as-his-boss/

“I don’t know Jerry other than what I see and what I hear,” Favre said on SiriusXM NFL Radio, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “Obviously, he’s the owner, and everything starts and stops with him. Mike’s a smart guy. He knows that, and he knows that maybe at times Jerry will interfere or say things that you don’t necessarily agree with or don’t like. But it is what it is. I’ll say this: Mike is one of those guys from Pittsburgh. He’s hard-nosed. He’s tough. He is an aggressive personality. If there’s anyone out there presently that can handle that, it’s Mike. I believe that wholeheartedly.

- I'm cautiously optimistic about the Cowboy's new coach. He has to be better than the whole weak-azzed Garrett system. I especially like the Mike Nolan, DC hire ... very strong resume'.

- One last thing Jones has been pulling back for the last 8-9 years which coincides with Dallas' upward talent acquisition. If he was really exerting his power the Cowboys would have ended up with Johnny F. Football Manziel. The Jones family is heavily involved still but they are relying on NFL football people. Did y'all know Jerry Jones was a collegiate All American football player on a National Champion Team?

-

I'm just guessing from afar but I suspect a lot of the issues in that family stem from Rodgers' brother. They had a falling out when he was a participant in that bachelor show. I don't recall the particulars right now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ain't that the truth. He does love, love, love the passing game.
likely because we had one of the most prolific passers in NFL history? and who, outside of lacy rookie year did we ever at RB that was anything? and remember, AJ missed a quarter of each season he was with MM because of knee sprains. Missed an entire Training camp with injury and then had a suspension to serve. Just keep that in mind.

So why wouldn't he have loved the passing game?

Members online

Latest posts