Mike McCarthy -- new Cowpoke coach

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Cowboys are focused on hiring Mike McCarthy. According to Ian Rapoport, it appears the Cowboys have their guy. McCarthy has informed the other teams he talked with that he's out, and is in for Dallas.

All but a formality for the former Packers head coach.
Jerry Jones has only one way that he hires coaches. Whether it works or not he is very polarized when he does it. He rules out rebuilders or someone who is there to tutor young players. He wants results and expects results right away. What he likes about MM is his resume. He knows MM did not have any good defenses over his tenure. But I think he marvels at the fact MM won a number of games against the Cowboys even in Dallas. The truth is MM was a little lucky. Some of the very few times he was. In 2013 Jones saw his team blow a 26-3 lead against Matt Flynn. He saw us win because of the Dez Bryant no catch at Lambeau. And he saw us win on a miraculous throw to Jerod Cook and a 51 yard FG. I think he believes MM can walk on water. Maybe in Dallas that America's team mystique will succeed for MM more than it did in GB.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb will be on the team until he is 40 now...aaand the secondary in dallas is putrid along w the run D...good luck MM...dont forget to call no back shotgun chuck n duck when youre down 21 lol

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Congratulations MM, this will make beating your Cowboys much more enjoyable because then the Packers can show Americas team (blah vomit) why they fired you...

Reaction score
He’s an upgrade over Jason Garrett any way you slice it. It’ll be intriguing to see what modifications he implements. He’s got a wealth of knowledge he’ll bring to the table. I think he’ll find out how lucky he was to have #12 throughout much of his career.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones not missing a quarter of a season with injury or more weed suspensions and Rodgers not on a fx’d leg maybe had something to do with that.

Swap ZSmith, PSmith for Matthews and Perry, do you think we're 13-3? How about Ha Ha Clinton Dix and Kentrell Brice/Jermaim Whitehead inserted and Amos and Savage sent packing. A healthy Kevin King instead of an IR'd King? any of that make a difference? think we'd still be 13-3 rolling with what we had last year?

I think the fact we're just a better team period, and by a lot is or should be more of the take home message. anyone thinking this is all the coaching swap is kidding themselves. Far more talent, that has been healthy almost the entire season long and available is playing the much bigger role in 13-3 than anything.

McCarthy would have had this team at 8-8.. maybe 10-6 at beat

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't believe we got your old coach.. You guys need to look at this from our perspective in the sense that Jason Garrett was Jerry's adopted son and never should of gotten the job in the first place. Garrett was in over his head the whole time, and only stayed in dallas so Jerry could show that he developed a winning coach. Make no mistake about it, Mike has had some time off to learn some new tricks and this is a HUGE upgrade for our team. I'm concerned with what he will do in hiring of his staff though, most of us are hoping we can get Marvin Lewis to agree to coach the defense.. Time will tell..

I guess you guys got Nolan instead of Lewis. How do Cowboys fans feel about that?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to know what our record would be under Mike this year. My opinion is that it would have been a disastrous season though, with numerous sideline spats between Rodgers and McCarthy the way things were trending. Those two were done.

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Heir BurgerMieister Miesterburger in charge.Let the gotta run more, pad level, gotta
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
clean that up, lip smacking begin!!

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean in all honesty, Mike is a good guy and seems likeable...although he DOES rub ME off as a kind of a "yes man".

But it will be interesting to see how much he has changed/adapted his scheming and strategy. He took the year off to do that apparently...

Some of his stuff he did when he was with us, basically the ENTIRE time without ever really adapting/adjusting, like doing the Iso slants and comebacks for WRs and doing Empty Sets... That stuff can actually still "sort of" work, but you'll need at least 3 above average WRs (preferably more) and a HOF QB preferrably lol.

I'm curious to see how he utilizes Ezekiel Elliot though as he completely underutilized AJ when he was here.

I hope he enjoys living in my hometown :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...although he DOES rub ME off ...
I doubt he's been rubbing you off...

anyway, thankfully MLF has not had to endure a suspended or injured Jones. Beyond that, the passing game is where he's seeing a few more touches per game over what MM did with him. He's also 10x's the pass blocker now that he was when he got into the league. That didn't happen over night, and it increased his availability from down to down to this offense.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Lots of unremitting venom for MM here. Comes from a vocal minority who will just keep hammering away ... Ever louder and louder ... because unremitting and louder opinions are more "right" if continually repeated.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt he's been rubbing you off...

anyway, thankfully MLF has not had to endure a suspended or injured Jones. Beyond that, the passing game is where he's seeing a few more touches per game over what MM did with him. He's also 10x's the pass blocker now that he was when he got into the league. That didn't happen over night, and it increased his availability from down to down to this offense.

I'm talking about the games when Jones would get around 6 - 12 carries a game, while averaging MORE THAN 5 yards a carry and just stop feeding him the ball and throw it with AR every down.

That was quite a bit last year

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of unremitting venom for MM here. Comes from a vocal minority who will just keep hammering away ... Ever louder and louder ... because unremitting and louder opinions are more "right" if continually repeated.

If you're referring to me... uhm no

I just always try to be objective. I liked some of his older Passing concepts, but those are "outdated" as AR has hinted at and also require certain personnel to run it. When you try doing it with guys like MVS/ESB/Moore as your WRs, it just doesn't work lol.

Do I think he's good/above average? Sure. COTY candidate or a team that can sin you a SB right away or get a quick turnaround? Definitely not.

His HC record is great but he also had the benefit of having BOTH Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as his quarterbacks. Which I am 200% sure that that helped.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My argument is that McCarthy beat the Sherman out of Favre and the Tedford out of Rodgers.

Was it time? Yeah.

I guess I'd ask for your definition of objective.

2 HOT quarterbacks + 13 NFL seasons = 1 Super Bowl

I mean I wish him well, but I just don't see it. I hope he can prove me wrong but we will have to see.

I think now having Dak Prescott, who is good but not at all regarded as a future HOFer today will prove how good he is. Or is it the other way around?

Favre was already a HOFer without McCarthy
Would you all still consider Rodgers a HOFer without McCarthy??? I would

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why people are saying Cowboys are better with MM. He's an underachiever just like Garrett. Only difference is Garrett never had an all-time great QB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts