Mike McCarthy -- new Cowpoke coach

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you guys know from me posting over the years that I'm a big fan of Aaron Rogers so I certainly give tons of credence to the fact that Mike had some great weapons to work with while coaching Green Bay.

You have to look at this though from a Cowboys fan perspective to understand why this is a nice move. Garret should of never been hired in the first place and it's been an absolute nightmare having to deal with his total lack of football knowledge over the years. We honestly put up with Garrett only because Jerry wanted to prove he was the smartest guy in the room and hired the next tom landry. It was all ego driven and a travesty for us fans to have to sit around and watch.

I think at this point in time where the Cowboys are as a franchise is they're built to win now. Mike was the best possible candidate available right now to jump in and get things on track. Personally I wanted Urban Meyer, but I can also see how that has quite a few negatives attached to it not knowing how long it's going to take him to figure out how to coach in the NFL.

Either way, I'm not under the impression that Mike is like getting Peyton or Bellichek, but I do know he is heads and shoulders better than Garrett whom never should of had a head coaching job handed to him in the first place. This is a good day for Cowboys fans quite honestly.
I think you hit reply to the wrong post. I am in complete agreement with all of that.

I looked back on your posts before commenting. You were very friendly and realistic in you posts.

Johneric8

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you hit reply to the wrong post. I am in complete agreement with all of that.

I looked back on your posts before commenting. You were very friendly and realistic in you posts.
I probably did, I'm not familiar with how this message board works since I'm not on it much.. I appreciate you responding though and good luck in the playoffs.

Sky King

Reaction score
An article was written about MM late this past year that indicates he spent time with friends from the coaching fraternity auditing all facets of his coaching career with an eye towards his coaching future. That's really healthy, especially if he has concluded that he has not yet suffered irreversible burnout. Add that he probably devoted more time this past year to family activities than at any other stretch since he got involved in coaching, and he was paid millions for the privilege. Good for them.

He should know fairly soon whether he is refreshed enough to be ready for the coaching grind once again. Sometimes, even a long vacation will not reverse the effects of burnout. The last year may also have been such an enjoyable and welcome change of pace that he may soon regret having jumped back into the coaching pressure cooker all over again. It will probably take less time for him to feel that within himself than it will take for others to recognize it outwardly. But he may have something to prove to himself, his loved ones, and his peers that could cause him to fight through any recurring burnout, at least he may be able to do so for a while.

It would not come as much of a surprise if he was very highly motivated to end his career strictly on his own terms by punctuating it on the highest note possible. Getting sacked must be awfully tough for a proud and talented man, one who had long enjoyed success as a winning coach and SB victor. When you look at the Browns, Giants, Panthers, and Cowboys, he arguably chose the team that may already be talented enough for him to achieve whatever goals he has now set for himself ASAP. I also wish him the best of luck except against the Packers.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An article was written about MM late this past year that indicates he spent time with friends from the coaching fraternity auditing all facets of his coaching career with an eye towards his coaching future. That's really healthy, especially if he has concluded that he has not yet suffered irreversible burnout. Add that he probably devoted more time this past year to family activities than at any other stretch since he got involved in coaching, and he was paid millions for the privilege. Good for them.

He should know fairly soon whether he is refreshed enough to be ready for the coaching grind once again. Sometimes, even a long vacation will not reverse the effects of burnout. The last year may also have been such an enjoyable and welcome change of pace that he may soon regret having jumped back into the coaching pressure cooker all over again. It will probably take less time for him to feel that within himself than it will take for others to recognize it outwardly. But he may have something to prove to himself, his loved ones, and his peers that could cause him to fight through any recurring burnout, at least he may be able to do so for a while.

It would not come as much of a surprise if he was very highly motivated to end his career strictly on his own terms by punctuating it on the highest note possible. Getting sacked must be awfully tough for a proud and talented man, one who had long enjoyed success as a winning coach and SB victor. When you look at the Browns, Giants, Panthers, and Cowboys, he arguably chose the team that may already be talented enough for him to achieve whatever goals he has now set for himself ASAP. I also wish him the best of luck except against the Packers.
Well said!

Another possibility is that after helping the wife pick out new candleholders to match the new curtains and then deciding to redo the whole dining room color scheme and china pattern he decided he better find a full time coaching position.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I probably did, I'm not familiar with how this message board works since I'm not on it much.. I appreciate you responding though and good luck in the playoffs.
Hey thanks! Keep in touch and let us know what the fans are thinking of MM.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just listened to him a bit, says one thing he did wrong here he would not let happen again is let coach development get in the way of team development. he said in the beginning he and his DC would implement and call the plan. In the latter half of his time here, there was more emphasis in growing coaches.

So they had all the speciality going on. 3rd down passing coaches, 1st and 2nd down coaches, etc and they'd implement the calls during the week, but MM would call the game. he said in their effort to grow as a staff it hurt the team. The caller must implement the plan so everybody understands what the man in charge is expecting. makes sense to me, too many cooks can ruin things.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am actually really excited for MM to be back. I am interested to see how MM improves his coaching while working with detailed analytics and other coaches. If he can modernise his way of scheming an NFL offense, he can be one hell of a coach. Also it seems like he knows what went wrong in his later GB years and he wont do that again. Dallas has signed the best HC on the market; MM signed probably with the best team in need of a HC and the roster is talented enough.'

Congrats Mike and all the luck for your future. Except bs Green Bay of course.

Sky King

Reaction score
Well said!

Another possibility is that after helping the wife pick out new candleholders to match the new curtains and then deciding to redo the whole dining room color scheme and china pattern he decided he better find a full time coaching position.
Some women think a man is good only for carrying heavy things and killing bugs. You may have hit the nail on the head!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I have very mixed feeling, on one hand I wish him all the very best. He was a good man and I felt sorry for him when he was fired, but of all the teams to join, the Cowboys ???? :mad:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mike is a good guy. wish him the best! you never know, he just might be the lombardi of dallas. :alien:

I think Dallas pretty much had their Lombardi. Mike will have to be incredibly successful to beat out Landry.

I like McCarthy, so maybe this will temper my white hot hate for the Cowboys - just a bit. I wonder if he has any special insight into how to limit Aaron Rodgers?
I bet Mike will enjoy those Texas barbecues.

Not for me. Heck if Green Bay and Dallas did a Irsay/Rosenbloom type swap I'd still hate them. They are the cowboys. Makes no difference to me who coaches them or who plays for them.

You missed the most obvious:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

so 1 plus then?

Oh yes.....the artificial turf!! :tup:

There's turf in that picture?

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll be more organized and disciplined.

They'll likely be less creative on offense, and more predictable.

Just a guess.

I guess it depends on who he gets as OC and if he really learned anything in the year off. He was fairly innovative when he was new here, but seemed to be reluctant to change, the longer he was here.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said!

He said as much in a recent interview with Wilde and Tausch. I'm paraphrasing, It will be good for the family for me to go back to coaching. :)

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His success all depends on his willingness to innovate. He refused to do it here and it costs us multiple years. We went 13-3 a year after he left, with a rookie HC.. that's an indictment on him. Wish him the best but we'll see if he really put it aside his ego

Reaction score
Whataburger:

Way better than Mickey D's.
Oh yeah. Mike comes my direction about 75 miles East you might see him here.

We also have Jucys Tacos and they are world renowned. Ok maybe Region renowned. Ok maybe more several Counties renowned. Ok..they might not be renowned... but dang they’re good! I’m getting hungry thinking about them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Dak Prescott isn't Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre
He's not Brett Hundley either. I think Mike can work with Dak.

I think Dallas pretty much had their Lombardi.
Belichick then?

It's interesting the hear the different reactions from the national media. Everything from this was a smart, perfect hire to dull, safe, and uninspired. I've heard the "He had Favre and Rodgers and only won one Super Bowl" line several times. But hey, at least he's got one. If I was a Cowboy fan (which I am most certainly not) today, I'd be optimistic.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His success all depends on his willingness to innovate. He refused to do it here and it costs us multiple years. We went 13-3 a year after he left, with a rookie HC.. that's an indictment on him. Wish him the best but we'll see if he really put it aside his ego
Jones not missing a quarter of a season with injury or more weed suspensions and Rodgers not on a fx’d leg maybe had something to do with that.

Swap ZSmith, PSmith for Matthews and Perry, do you think we're 13-3? How about Ha Ha Clinton Dix and Kentrell Brice/Jermaim Whitehead inserted and Amos and Savage sent packing. A healthy Kevin King instead of an IR'd King? any of that make a difference? think we'd still be 13-3 rolling with what we had last year?

I think the fact we're just a better team period, and by a lot is or should be more of the take home message. anyone thinking this is all the coaching swap is kidding themselves. Far more talent, that has been healthy almost the entire season long and available is playing the much bigger role in 13-3 than anything.