Mike McCarthy -- new Cowpoke coach

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like watching Jerry lose, but I think he's been giving more control over to the people he's put in place to do those jobs than just doing whatever he wants. he's still Jerry, but I don't think he's the Jerry of 20 years ago.

It will be interesting, I think they're instantly better.

They'll be more organized and disciplined.

They'll likely be less creative on offense, and more predictable.

Just a guess.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MM is a good guy and happy for him

Not to worried about them when we face them if they throw it 70% of the time with Ezekiel Elliot as his RB though lol

I had a hunch he would get it due to MM coming off as a "yes man" to me, which is what JJ will want

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never had the impression MM was a yes man, not even a little.

anyway, you don't get creative when you have an offensive line and RB like that. Run the ball and play action pass.

Johneric8

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't believe we got your old coach.. You guys need to look at this from our perspective in the sense that Jason Garrett was Jerry's adopted son and never should of gotten the job in the first place. Garrett was in over his head the whole time, and only stayed in dallas so Jerry could show that he developed a winning coach. Make no mistake about it, Mike has had some time off to learn some new tricks and this is a HUGE upgrade for our team. I'm concerned with what he will do in hiring of his staff though, most of us are hoping we can get Marvin Lewis to agree to coach the defense.. Time will tell..

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO MM's main, immediate, contribution will be to watch a crap-ton of tape on the Dallas FA's and make "recommendations" on which guys are key building blocks and which guys can be replaced. Jerry can't re-sign everyone so will need an educated opinion on which guys are key for the next 4 years.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see of Randall Cobb is resigned.
I'm concerned with what he will do in hiring of his staff though, most of us are hoping we can get Marvin Lewis to agree to coach the defense.. Time will tell..

Rumor has it that Dom Capers is on an airplane and on his way to Dallas.....good luck! :coffee:

Reaction score
Congrats Big Mike! Now go down there and keep alive the Cowboy tradition of not being able to beat the Packers!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Are there McDonalds in Texas? Shouldn’t somebody warn them! :eek:
All in good fun MM! We’re glad to have you back.. well.. sort of ;)

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mike is a good guy. wish him the best! you never know, he just might be the lombardi of dallas. :alien:

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounded like the Dallas assistants were going to stay and having to work under Jerry, doesn't seem ideal.
There was that story a few weeks back about how McCarthy was meeting weekly to watch film with some other potential assistants, in preparation for a new coaching job, trying to keep current. If what you say is true, sounds like at least some of those guys are going to be out.

I like McCarthy, so maybe this will temper my white hot hate for the Cowboys - just a bit. I wonder if he has any special insight into how to limit Aaron Rodgers?
I bet Mike will enjoy those Texas barbecues.

JimWB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Vikes fan, I had a lot of respect for MM. There was more than one occasion, I found myself wishing he was our head coach. Best of luck to him, but I'd rather see him in the AFC.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't believe we got your old coach.. You guys need to look at this from our perspective in the sense that Jason Garrett was Jerry's adopted son and never should of gotten the job in the first place. Garrett was in over his head the whole time, and only stayed in dallas so Jerry could show that he developed a winning coach. Make no mistake about it, Mike has had some time off to learn some new tricks and this is a HUGE upgrade for our team. I'm concerned with what he will do in hiring of his staff though, most of us are hoping we can get Marvin Lewis to agree to coach the defense.. Time will tell..
You are getting a very good coach. If he has 1 failing, it was with holding onto his DC and STC too long when they were underperforming. Otherwise, I think you upgraded. I'm betting he comes back more energized and will win a bunch of games for you.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to be an a**, but let's not pretend McCarthy is the next candidate for COTY or the next Belicheck or even Andy Reid here.

His coaching record will naturally be "fluffed up" due to having BOTH Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as his quarterbacks. Two first ballot Hall of Fame quarterbacks.

He's definitely an upgrade over Garret but not like huge or anything

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's definitely an upgrade over Garret but not like huge or anything
Well, time will tell. This gig will likely have a huge impact on how McCarthy is remembered. If he's highly successful in Dallas, he looks pretty good. If the Cowboys lay an egg, he looks pretty bad.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never had the impression MM was a yes man, not even a little.

anyway, you don't get creative when you have an offensive line and RB like that. Run the ball and play action pass.

We have one of the top 5 offensive lines in the game and had Aaron Jones and Jamal Williams with MM.

I DO like some of MM's passing concepts though, but you need the personel (sp?) to run those Iso and Timing/Precision type concepts and also to run the Spread O that he likes to run so often. Do the Cowboys have that personel?

Obviously with Aaron Rodgers and all the great WRs that TT drafted it worked out FANTASTICALLY for a while.

But Dak Prescott isn't Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre

Last edited:

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, time will tell. This gig will likely have a huge impact on how McCarthy is remembered. If he's highly successful in Dallas, he looks pretty good. If the Cowboys lay an egg, he looks pretty bad.

I mean I hope he does well, except against the Packers of course :)

isocleas2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a bad landing spot for McCarthy, he dealt with Favre and Rodgers so I think he can handle Jones' diva routine. I also think Jones is so sick of losing he may actually take the backseat for a couple years and see how McCarthy runs the show.

The cowboys are also willing to pay top money for assistant coaches so McCarthy should be able to build a pretty good staff. I think they see a pretty dramatic turnaround the next couple years.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know how it will pan out for MM, but I do think the pressure will be on him right away. Dallas is built to win now so if MM dont have positive record in 2 seasons I think the organization will do away with him. Alot of people believe MM inherited a strong team in greenbay. I hope the best for him because he never threw anyone under the bus in his departure from greenbay. I dont think MM should have got all the heat for the lack of making the playoffs the past 2 season, I think TT had a lot to do with it also.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
agent mccarthy will come through for us.

You will be happy to hear, his first move as HC will be to swing a deal that will send Dak and 5 first round picks to the Packer for Rodgers. The Cowboys will resign Dak before the trade and take all the upfront cap hits equal to what the Packers have on Rodgers.

Johneric8

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are getting a very good coach. If he has 1 failing, it was with holding onto his DC and STC too long when they were underperforming. Otherwise, I think you upgraded. I'm betting he comes back more energized and will win a bunch of games for you.

Some of you guys know from me posting over the years that I'm a big fan of Aaron Rogers so I certainly give tons of credence to the fact that Mike had some great weapons to work with while coaching Green Bay.

You have to look at this though from a Cowboys fan perspective to understand why this is a nice move. Garret should of never been hired in the first place and it's been an absolute nightmare having to deal with his total lack of football knowledge over the years. We honestly put up with Garrett only because Jerry wanted to prove he was the smartest guy in the room and hired the next tom landry. It was all ego driven and a travesty for us fans to have to sit around and watch.

I think at this point in time where the Cowboys are as a franchise is they're built to win now. Mike was the best possible candidate available right now to jump in and get things on track. Personally I wanted Urban Meyer, but I can also see how that has quite a few negatives attached to it not knowing how long it's going to take him to figure out how to coach in the NFL.

Either way, I'm not under the impression that Mike is like getting Peyton or Bellichek, but I do know he is heads and shoulders better than Garrett whom never should of had a head coaching job handed to him in the first place. This is a good day for Cowboys fans quite honestly.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You will be happy to hear, his first move as HC will be to swing a deal that will send Dak and 5 first round picks to the Packer for Rodgers. The Cowboys will resign Dak before the trade and take all the upfront cap hits equal to what the Packers have on Rodgers.

I thought MM's first move was for Jimmy Graham and Lane Taylor with 5 first round picks and 5 second round picks and also Amari Cooper?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts