Mike McCarthy -- new Cowpoke coach

Sky King

Reaction score
likely because we had one of the most prolific passers in NFL history? and who, outside of lacy rookie year did we ever at RB that was anything? and remember, AJ missed a quarter of each season he was with MM because of knee sprains. Missed an entire Training camp with injury and then had a suspension to serve. Just keep that in mind.

So why wouldn't he have loved the passing game?
He would tend to abandon the running game at the drop of a hat, even when it was working. He did not seem interested in a balanced attack, prematurely abandoning the run in favor of the pass.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would tend to abandon the running game at the drop of a hat, even when it was working. He did not seem interested in a balanced attack, prematurely abandoning the run in favor of the pass.
yes we know there was that one time in Buffalo where what you said was true. That's not many games in 10 years. What rings more true, your assertion, or the fact he had one of the best passers in the history of the NFL with passing weapons galore and who for RB's? Exactly.

Sky King

Reaction score
yes we know there was that one time in Buffalo where what you said was true. That's not many games in 10 years. What rings more true, your assertion, or the fact he had one of the best passers in the history of the NFL with passing weapons galore and who for RB's? Exactly.
Only one game? Nonsense.

My contention is that he had a bias in favor of the pass over the run and that it wouldn't matter who the running backs were, Aaron Rodgers presence notwithstanding. The pass-run ratios over the years would seem to bear than out.

One championship over 13 seasons with one of the best passers in the history of the NFL and passing weapons galore is not exactly a testament to the effectiveness of a pass-heavy offense, at least McCarthy's version of it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only one game? Nonsense.

My contention is that he had a bias in favor of the pass over the run and that it wouldn't matter who the running backs were, Aaron Rodgers presence notwithstanding. The pass-run ratios over the years would seem to bear than out.

One championship over 13 seasons with one of the best passers in the history of the NFL and passing weapons galore is not exactly a testament to the effectiveness of a pass-heavy offense, at least McCarthy's version of it.
I'm not going to relive 13 seasons, it's been gone over a million times. If you can't see why the ratios favored the pass in GB during that time, I can't help you. nobody can.

Regardless, Running elliot hasn't exactly taken Dallas anywhere either, so...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I recall reading MM won't be the play caller. He's going to let his OC do that. So abandoning the run will not be on him if it happens.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall reading MM won't be the play caller. He's going to let his OC do that. So abandoning the run will not be on him if it happens.
I've heard that as well. It's hard to imagine McCarthy not calling plays, this really is a new era.

Sky King

Reaction score
I'm not going to relive 13 seasons, it's been gone over a million times. If you can't see why the ratios favored the pass in GB during that time, I can't help you. nobody can.

Regardless, Running elliot hasn't exactly taken Dallas anywhere either, so...
Well, first of all, I don't need your help with this point, especially the condescension. We all should realize by now that McCarthy favored the pass regardless of whether Rodgers or Hundley was the QB. Passing is his M.O. Rodgers, too. It's not an insult to acknowledge that nor is it warranted to insult anyone who does not share your point of view, so why do it? Is it that important that everyone agree with you?

Maybe what has been reinforced again and again over the past 14 years of following the Packers and the rest of the NFL is that a balanced attack makes it more difficult for a defense to stop an offense. Personally, I don't believe that it would have mattered who McCarthy had for RBs in GB, he would have favored the passing game regardless. Disagree if you like.

That said, I would be surprised if next year's pass-run ratio in Dallas is in favor of the run or close to it. Maybe McCarthy will change his stripes but I doubt it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
almost all teams favor the pass. who were our RB's with Hundley? knee sprain and drug suspended Jones and? It does matter who your RB is.

anyway, in '13 GB rushed 45% passed 55%
in '14 44.x% rushed and just over 54% pass This was about the only time we had a legitimate RB in GB during his time here it does matter.

this year when we're more balanced than MM. 59% pass.

Hmmmm

Sky King

Reaction score
almost all teams favor the pass. who were our RB's with Hundley? knee sprain and drug suspended Jones and? It does matter who your RB is.

anyway, in '13 GB rushed 45% passed 55%
in '14 44.x% rushed and just over 54% pass This was about the only time we had a legitimate RB in GB during his time here it does matter.

this year when we're more balanced than MM. 59% pass.

Hmmmm
So the numbers regarding McCarthy and the run-pass ratio do indeed indicate that he favored the pass by about 10%.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the numbers regarding McCarthy and the run-pass ratio do indeed indicate that he favored the pass by about 10%.
yes, and in this year when we're "more balanced" we throw 59% of our plays. So, relatively speaking, is MM really any more "off" in his balance than everyone else?

When everyone is 55% or higher passing, what should a head coach with no legitimate running backs and a top 2-3 passing QB of his time do with the majority of his plays?

Sky King

Reaction score
yes, and in this year when we're "more balanced" we throw 59% of our plays. So, relatively speaking, is MM really any more "off" in his balance than everyone else?

When everyone is 55% or higher passing, what should a head coach with no legitimate running backs and a top 2-3 passing QB of his time do with the majority of his plays?
The discussion started out because I stated McCarthy is biased in favor of the pass. Your numbers reinforce that. How he uses Zeke next year in relation to his historic numbers is yet to be determined. If you want to use the statistics of other teams to somehow refute McCarthy's bias in favor of the pass, fine, but that doesn't change McCarthy's M.O. He never ran a running backs school that I'm aware of.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The discussion started out because I stated McCarthy is biased in favor of the pass. Your numbers reinforce that. How he uses Zeke next year in relation to his historic numbers is yet to be determined. If you want to use the statistics of other teams to somehow refute McCarthy's bias in favor of the pass, fine, but that doesn't change McCarthy's M.O. He never ran a running backs school that I'm aware of.
EVERY team favors the pass. This discussion started because you make it seem like MM is more averse to running than anyone, which the numbers absolutely do not reinforce. But look at them thru whatever glasses you must.

RB vs QB in terms of complexity and responsibility, equal in your eyes? there's probably a reason one is probably the easiest transition from college to the pro's and the other by far the most difficult. think about it.

Sky King

Reaction score

EVERY team favors the pass. This discussion started because you make it seem like MM is more averse to running than anyone, which the numbers absolutely do not reinforce. But look at them thru whatever glasses you must.

My exact quote verbatim above, no more no less. Notice the complete lack of comparison of McCarthy to any other coaches? Well, by me anyway. I'll certainly concede that you want to steer the perception in that direction. Hopefully, that helps. Your glasses, not mine though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If there's anyone that won't run Elliott, it's McCarthy lol.
Ain't that the truth. He does love, love, love the passing game.

also your quote. Sorry, the prevailing theme seems to be he loves to pass more than anyone else. He'll pass more than run, more than anyone else.

He doesn't.

when he had a legitimate running back, he passed less than his peers. You don't seem to think that's significant. Carry on.

Sky King

Reaction score
also your quote. Sorry, the prevailing theme seems to be he loves to pass more than anyone else. He'll pass more than run, more than anyone else.

He doesn't.

when he had a legitimate running back, he passed less than his peers. You don't seem to think that's significant. Carry on.

That's not my quote. I'm bewildered as to why you attribute this to me. For what it's worth, please see a snip of the quote you are actually referring to below:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not my quote. I'm bewildered as to why you attribute this to me. For what it's worth, please see a snip of the quote you are actually referring to below:

quit confusing the issue, I know what was rmontro's and yours was,

Ain't that the truth. He does love, love, love the passing game.
That was your reply. that's why I put his comment and your reply, which were both comments from someone else stating MM doesn't like to run and will waste Elliot.

yes or yes?

what is the tone of the entire exchange? that MM loves to pass and will quit the run whenever he can. You disagree, then why even comment? quit pissing on my head and telling me its raining.

My point being, when we had a legit running back, of which we've had one that wasn't injured or suspended in 13 years, he ran every bit as much, if not more than his peers. Run pass balance in this league is about 55-60+% pass and the rest run. MM was right in those numbers too. On the low end for that matter.

Sky King

Reaction score
quit confusing the issue, I know what was rmontro's and yours was,

That was your reply. that's why I put his comment and your reply, which were both comments from someone else stating MM doesn't like to run and will waste Elliot.

yes or yes?

what is the tone of the entire exchange? that MM loves to pass and will quit the run whenever he can. You disagree, then why even comment? quit pissing on my head and telling me its raining.

My point being, when we had a legit running back, of which we've had one that wasn't injured or suspended in 13 years, he ran every bit as much, if not more than his peers. Run pass balance in this league is about 55-60+% pass and the rest run. MM was right in those numbers too. On the low end for that matter.
You win. Plus, I'll award you a trophy for creativity:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol. So you weren’t agreeing with the sentiment?

Expect me to believe you realize that with a legit RB and Rodgers at QB MM actually ran the ball more than almost all of his peers with lesser passing QBs? And I’m the creative one lol

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts