MIKE MCCARTHY FIRED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said he was at home celebrating his birthday. Got a text?
I suppose ARod might have been “shocked” - but more likely about the timing. I know it surprised me. It had become pretty clear MM wasn’t going to be in GB next year, so it was all a matter of time. And while I’m happy about the change, the timing could have probably been better. That said, I’m sure MM is somewhat relieved, and he’ll certainly get other opportunities. Firing him was the easy part. What comes next will be much harder.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice to see there's not a ton of sour grapes there as far as the organization and AR. Only knock for me would be to say, losing your job is jarring whether or not you know it's coming. But for him to have been stunned about getting canned, especially in the world of the NFL, is a little naive of him.

Reaction score
Nice to see there's not a ton of sour grapes there as far as the organization and AR. Only knock for me would be to say, losing your job is jarring whether or not you know it's coming. But for him to have been stunned about getting canned, especially in the world of the NFL, is a little naive of him.
Exactly. That gives you a little insight into the mindset of our former HC. If that’s not the residual delusion of complacency I don’t know what is. :rolleyes:

If he had as much passion for football as he does basketball..no telling how many Lombardi’s we’d have :roflmao:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I doubt McCarthy and Murphy will be golfing together anytime soon though. I think MM saw it coming, but not the timing or in the fashion it was delivered. I get the sense he wasn't very impressed with the way Murphy handled it in timing or context.

H

HardRightEdge

"If we missed the playoffs, I expected change might happen," McCarthy told ESPN.com in his first sit-down interview since he was fired Dec. 2 with four games left in the 2018 season. "But the timing surprised me. Actually it stunned me. It couldn't have been handled any worse."

Frankly, after losing to AZ at home, it was decided the Packers were not headed to the playoffs. Getting on with it instead of deferring the inevitable should not have been out of the realm of the possible.

If nothing else, it gave him a head start on landing a new job if one was in the offing and he was so inclined. More importantly, it put the Packers on the radar as having a HC opening with the replacement process getting underway. Going behind a coach's back in beginning the search is a whole lot more bush league than getting it over with post haste.

"It's a business" doesn't apply to just the players. Once a decision is made then get on with it and don't lollygag around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think the was stunned he was fired, but stunned he was fired 15 minutes after a game ended. There were a lot of people surprised by that from every day fans to super bowl winning coaches.

Reaction score
Here MM is talking about coaching Aaron.
I think he got Favre and Rodgers mixed up.

I entrusted him and empowered him more than any other quarterback I've ever been around, especially at the line of scrimmage.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hindsight is always 20/20 but, rarely does trimming the branches on sick tree work. McCarthy should have gone with Capers and Thompson and let Gute pick his own guy.

This morning on their show, Tweedledee Florio and Tweedledum Simms were opining that the Packers' problem is they don't have an owner. They forget that for every Bob Craft winning Super Bowls there's a Dan Snyder suing his season ticket holders for not forking up during a recession.

All and all, things are pretty good in Green and Gold land.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here MM is talking about coaching Aaron.
I think he got Favre and Rodgers mixed up.

I entrusted him and empowered him more than any other quarterback I've ever been around, especially at the line of scrimmage.

What??? Rodgers had more power than probably any other quarterback in the league under McCarthy.

This morning on their show, Tweedledee Florio and Tweedledum Simms were opining that the Packers' problem is they don't have an owner. They forget that for every Bob Craft winning Super Bowls there's a Dan Snyder suing his season ticket holders for not forking up during a recession.

Those dbags forget that if the Packers had an owner the team's struggles wouldn't be Green Bay's problem anymore.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My impression of what he said was, he was not surprised that he was canned, it was the time and the method in which is was done that took him off guard.

I also believe that his time had passed, but did not personally like the way the brass handled it.

Reaction score
Yup, got a picture of his cake to prove it!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Probably Devils Food Cake.
(Good bye Norma Jean playing in the background)
“Even when you died.. oh the press still hounded you”

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Who in their right mind would hire him?

A team that wants a HC with a track record of winning. I would say at least 5 teams might be looking at him. In no particular order:
  1. Washington
  2. Carolina
  3. Dallas
  4. Cleveland
  5. NY Jets

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like MM is ready to start coaching again. Good for him and I wish him the best, hopes it is in the AFC.
That's mighty impressive. He must really love football if he's putting in all that work when he's not actually employed. He deserves another shot in the NFL IMO. Cleveland shoud have probably hired him for this year instead of Kitchens. I wish him well, as long as he's not playing us. I've always liked McCarthy, even if it was time for him to leave GB.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy was a very successful coaching during most of his tenure in Green Bay. While it was time for the Packers to move on he deserves another shot.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Are you actually serious ?? Short memory obviously. The last season for sure but we had many good seasons under him. Comments like this really **** me off.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Only any team that desires to have a guy that over his last tenure won a SB and consistently got playoff births and division championships. I'm ecstatic we moved on, but it doesn't diminished MM is and has been successful. He could still see success again.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you actually serious ?? Short memory obviously. The last season for sure but we had many good seasons under him. Comments like this really **** me off.
And on top of it, MM was probably one of the classiest HCs in the NFL, a trait not shared by some posters.

I wish him luck. I am sure he will get the shot he deserves and I think he can be real successful again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts